Indian Consulate

mhortig

Where is the NEW location of the Indian consulate in Chiangmai. The previous office at Charoenraj road and the superhighway has been closed. One travel agent thought it was on Tung Hotel Rd, but had no details. Can somebody provide a street number, or landmarks? Thanks.

Post #4 in this forum might help, it's as recent as August 2008:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thre...sageID=14540165

Having scanned that link, the most relevant reply would be:

"So many websites maps and agencies still have the old address for the Indian consulate in Chiang Mai. It is no longer on Charoenrat Road, moved over a year ago. Head out of the city in the 3 o'clock direction (Charoen Muang Rd) towards the train station and turn left on Thung Hotel Road (instead of turning right to the rail station) and go up about <1km you'll see the consulate on your left. Visa hours 9-12 M-F. Tuk tuk out of the old city should cost about 60 baht one-way (easy to ride a bike there). I think you're looking at 4 working days and 1700 baht (more/less for some nationalities) for a 6mo. visa. Obviously using an agent means extra cost."

Of course an address/tel number would be useful, so going to the horse's mouth

http://www.indianembassy.gov.in/bangkok/visa.htm

No. 79/2, Moo 2,

Faaham Muang

Chiangmai 50000E

Mail: [email protected] 053-243066 053247879

The Indian Embassy has moved 3 times in the last 3 years but I was there a few months ago and can verify that the info below is correct -- that it's on Thung Hotel Road. Unless they moved again! The rest of the info is accurate to as to hours and costs. I'll also add that the visa process is very long and unnecessarily complicated.

Post #4 in this forum might help, it's as recent as August 2008:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thre...sageID=14540165

Having scanned that link, the most relevant reply would be:

"So many websites maps and agencies still have the old address for the Indian consulate in Chiang Mai. It is no longer on Charoenrat Road, moved over a year ago. Head out of the city in the 3 o'clock direction (Charoen Muang Rd) towards the train station and turn left on Thung Hotel Road (instead of turning right to the rail station) and go up about <1km you'll see the consulate on your left. Visa hours 9-12 M-F. Tuk tuk out of the old city should cost about 60 baht one-way (easy to ride a bike there). I think you're looking at 4 working days and 1700 baht (more/less for some nationalities) for a 6mo. visa. Obviously using an agent means extra cost."

Of course an address/tel number would be useful, so going to the horse's mouth

http://www.indianembassy.gov.in/bangkok/visa.htm

No. 79/2, Moo 2,

Faaham Muang

Chiangmai 50000E

Mail: [email protected] 053-243066 053247879

I'll also add that the visa process is very long and unnecessarily complicated.

That's nothing, wait 'til you try the country itself :D

For example, on a recent trip through an Indian airport I counted NINE rubber stamps on various documents (Passport, boarding pass etc) between airport entrance and boarding the plane :o

I'll also add that the visa process is very long and unnecessarily complicated.

That's nothing, wait 'til you try the country itself :D

For example, on a recent trip through an Indian airport I counted NINE rubber stamps on various documents (Passport, boarding pass etc) between airport entrance and boarding the plane :o

Yes, better get used to it. India is the world's leading supplier of beaurocracy! They inherited it from the Brits and "improved" it radically.