Which Internet Is The Best / Fastest In Pattaya?

Dario

I'm moving from Bangkok to Pattaya. In Bangkok I have TRUE 2,5 MB and I must say I cannot really complain. I just bought a 2nd home in Pattaya in Soi Boonsampan Royal Park Hill area.

I'm using Internet extentially since I have an online business. Has anyone in that area a good Internet connection, getting like something between 1MB - 2.5 MB on average which is a workable speed also for uploading on web sites?

I'm thinking about Maxnet Premier 2.0 or 3.0MB package. Does anyone have experience in that area with such a package, someone who is using the Internet for a living like I do? Or is there something better? Your contributions are very much appreciated as I consider the Internet more important than a home telephone connection. It's an absolute nessecity for me. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Dario

1 more thing, I also depend on the internet, So I have 2 connections. When one is down, I switch to the other.

Right now I am using Maxnet 4MB with Loxinfo IPStar. I am considering getting rid of my Loxinfo IPStar as I never use it as Maxnet is always Ok for me. But it is a good idea to have more than 1 connection if you really need to be online, as all services sometimes have problems.

Good luck!

I use Maxnet 4MB and it is excellent for me in my Central Pattaya location. Hardly ever lets me down. Its about 1,000 per month + tax, total no more than 1,100 baht. Very good.

Hi, thanks. A question: 1,000 B for 4 MB, that must be the Indy type which is only for local Thai websites or am I missing something? Everyone says with the Indy package the given strength is only for Thai websites. I n e v e r use any Thai websites, I mean xxxx.co.th, except for my 2 credit cards. Can you enlighten me and affirm me that you have the Indy package?

I use Maxnet 4MB and it is excellent for me in my Central Pattaya location. Hardly ever lets me down. Its about 1,000 per month + tax, total no more than 1,100 baht. Very good.

Hi, thanks. A question: 1,000 B for 4 MB, that must be the Indy type which is only for local Thai websites or am I missing something? Everyone says with the Indy package the given strength is only for Thai websites. I n e v e r use any Thai websites, I mean xxxx.co.th, except for my 2 credit cards. Can you enlighten me and affirm me that you have the Indy package?

Ive never heard of any internet packages which cannot access oversea's websites. Even Thai's NEED to use oversea's websites eg Hotmail.com , yahoo.com, gmail.com.

Indy package no problem using overseas websites. I dont know of any internet packages which can't. Even dial up can access overseas sites.

Ive never heard of any internet packages which cannot access oversea's websites. Even Thai's NEED to use oversea's websites eg Hotmail.com , yahoo.com, gmail.com.

Indy package no problem using overseas websites. I dont know of any internet packages which can't. Even dial up can access overseas sites.

Thanks Meg_2003, very informative. I know that the Thais also need to access .com websites, but I thought they're just slower. We have made an online request to Maxnet to contact us.

the maxnet DNS is useless, go to opendns.org and use their DNS servers on your local computer and your internet will go heaps faster.

most of the time when the maxnet connection is 'down' it's not really down, it's just the DNS servers are down so you cant get a domain to load.

cat has the same issue at times too.

also, i dont know your area, but we've been in about 7 different locations around pattaya and it really depends on where you are with your connection. 100m down the road from our office, our old office had useless internet, very low signal line, but now we have a high signal and its great. same with all our old offices around town. one connection would be great (CAT) other would be useless (MAXNET), then we'd move office and the opposite would be true.

thankfully here now we have both CAT and MAXNET at 100%. we're on sukumvit, so the main lines must run along here and we're not getting lost in the noise in town more.

also, i dont know your area, but we've been in about 7 different locations around pattaya and it really depends on where you are with your connection. 100m down the road from our office, our old office had useless internet, very low signal line, but now we have a high signal and its great. same with all our old offices around town. one connection would be great (CAT) other would be useless (MAXNET), then we'd move office and the opposite would be true.

thankfully here now we have both CAT and MAXNET at 100%. we're on sukumvit, so the main lines must run along here and we're not getting lost in the noise in town more.

WARNING!! Where I live on Soi Wat Boonsampan, there is no regular phone service. The area code is 037 (the rest of Pattaya is 038). You can get a phone installed from TT&T, but it is an internet phone, and you have buy the phone line and the Internet together. You get a special phone, without the usual phone jack. You run a phone wire from the wall outlet to your MODEM, and then a LAN cable to your phone! All of which means that if you are looking to get an internet service that relies on having a regular phone line, better check first what is available. TOT told us they had no lines available (hate them anyway). CAT has no service in this area. I am not very happy with the TT&T internet connection I have. I have no back up, since I can't dial out from my computer (and I can't get the bluetooth feature on my iMac to work with my cell phone). I am on my way now to IT City to buy an edge Internet phone. I hear they are not that great, but I need back up. There is a cable-based Internet service in this area, but when I checked it out it seemed rather strange (as in you don't get your own IP address); but maybe someone has more information.

You would be taking a gamble with any of the 'Indy' packages as service can go from bad to worse depending on how many subscribers sharing your 'loop' are online, streaming or bittorrenting.

Better to go with one of the 'Premier' services and like Meg says, if the internet is your lifeline, get a backup installed.

the maxnet DNS is useless, go to opendns.org and use their DNS servers on your local computer and your internet will go heaps faster.

most of the time when the maxnet connection is 'down' it's not really down, it's just the DNS servers are down so you cant get a domain to load.

cat has the same issue at times too.

Just to add to this good bit of knowledge... You should be immediately aware that your DNS is down when you load a webpage and you see the words "Looking up www...." If your connection is stalling on this but then jumps to the website (eventually), it's typically your DNS. I certainly recommend OpenDNS on your machine to cure this problem.

With that being said, DNS is usually not the problem why the web is slowing leaving Thailand :o

Edited by anothertorres

WARNING!! Where I live on Soi Wat Boonsampan, there is no regular phone service. The area code is 037 (the rest of Pattaya is 038). You can get a phone installed from TT&T, but it is an internet phone, and you have buy the phone line and the Internet together. You get a special phone, without the usual phone jack. You run a phone wire from the wall outlet to your MODEM, and then a LAN cable to your phone! All of which means that if you are looking to get an internet service that relies on having a regular phone line, better check first what is available. TOT told us they had no lines available (hate them anyway). CAT has no service in this area. I am not very happy with the TT&T internet connection I have. I have no back up, since I can't dial out from my computer (and I can't get the bluetooth feature on my iMac to work with my cell phone). I am on my way now to IT City to buy an edge Internet phone. I hear they are not that great, but I need back up. There is a cable-based Internet service in this area, but when I checked it out it seemed rather strange (as in you don't get your own IP address); but maybe someone has more information.

Hi,

I also live in Soi Wat Boonsampan, far up in the soi on the right just before Soi 11 (which is on the left). We were just told we would have to wait another 4 months or so to eventually get Maxnet. Have you heard about TOT, we were told that you also don't need a fixed telephone line? Anyone knows if that is true? We will now explore the possibility of TOT. A Thai neighbor across from our house has a TOT line with 512 KB "high" speed Internet and pays something just over 700 Baht a month. When I asked him about the speed he doesn't know (?) he said he hardly ever uses it.

BTW, I have EDGE from DTAC, but that's very slow (115KB advertised) but last night I measured just 81 KB! So, don't expect wonders of EDGE, that is just enough to check your emails and answer some.

I need an absolute minimum speed of 1MB to upload to my website, forget about doing something like this with Edge, you cannot even open SKYPE.

Edited by Dario

I have some interesting news on the Internet subject / problem.

My wife and I had inquired at Maxnet and we were told to wait a week and we would get an answer. That answer was: nada, call again in about 4 months. So, a few days ago we tried TOT. They called us already the next day and told us: no way at this time, all is full ...

So, I said to myself: that just can't be, there m u s t be a way to get high speed Internet.

I did some research on the Internet and then decided to call the TT&T head office in BKK and ask for the Managing Director. Of course, he wasn't there, but I got connected to another executive person. The lady asked me to jot down all the relevant things on an email and forward it to her.

About 2 hours later we were called by the head of sales of TT&T in Pattaya. She told my wife that there was no cable in my soi, but TT & T would be able to bring the cable down to our home right from Royal Park Hill opposite our soi if we would shoulder the cost for the cable, about 10 K. Last Friday, staff from Maxnet came to make a contract. We will own the cable and nobody else will get connected to that cable, so we will enjoy the whole bandwidth. We will have high speed Internet in our home this coming week.

Another lesson learnt: you can get almost anything if you are willing to find a solution.

BTW: a lady living across from our home came over and asked my wife why we will get Internet from Maxnet so fast, because she had been asking for months and called them on a regular basis. When she heard how much we pay for the cable, she said that she now isn't interested anymore in Internet ...

Edited by Dario

Forgot to add: we opted for the Premier package 2MB down and 1MB up. Increasing speed would only cost us 50 Baht for the change. 1MB up is what I need to upload to my websites. TOT only offers 512KB up even in their best package.

• 1 year later...

i have tt&t and their 1200 a month baht package and the dependability and speed are exceptinally good...i live at pratamnak rd on soi 6 at jomtien beach...cheers!!!

post-95779-1258983028.jpg

post-95779-1258983175.jpg

Edited by RJfromUSA

maxnet is tt&t & 3bb

really they are all as good as each other, i've been on just about all of the providers all over town, in some locations cat (tot) is great and maxnet blows, other location it's the exact opposite.

IMO they are all the same, it all depends on the quality of the local lines in the ground in your area. the newer the better. if your signal is rubbish, pay them to come out and run new lines down the street for you.

In my house near BKK/Pat hospital TOT is very slow, I got a 2mb package and sometimes it is down to below 100kb. :)

Does anybody living near the above mention location tried something else? I am considering 3BB (tt&t) but heard that in case of a problem you are in for a long wait.

TOT normally shows up next day in case of a problem, happened once during app. 3 years subscription.

Thanks