Internet Services

scorecard

Can any member please explain this type of Internet service. A small USB port plug-in to your notebok computer which gives you internet access anywhere in Thailand (and I think anywhere in the world).

I understand CAT Telecom now sell this and maybe one or two other providers in Thailand. I'm not very tech savvy and i'd like to try to understand more about the type of service. One question is whether this has to be associated with a telephone number or is it linked to an e-mail address rather than a telephone number

Would appreciate if any forum member can give a comment , or explain the features / the limitations of this (e.g. can it carry Skype?).

Thanks

Can any member please explain this type of Internet service. A small USB port plug-in to your notebok computer which gives you internet access anywhere in Thailand (and I think anywhere in the world).

I understand CAT Telecom now sell this and maybe one or two other providers in Thailand. I'm not very tech savvy and i'd like to try to understand more about the type of service. One question is whether this has to be associated with a telephone number or is it linked to an e-mail address rather than a telephone number

Would appreciate if any forum member can give a comment , or explain the features / the limitations of this (e.g. can it carry Skype?).

Thanks

Hi,

I never heard of this, but this is what I am using on my laptop anywhere I have mobile signal in Thailand:

I signed up with DTAC for a Bluetooth Internet srevice. You do need to have a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. I have a special DTAC card which is valid for 1 year. I pay 375 Baht for 100 hours of 115KB Internet. There is no time limit to use up your hours as long as your DTAC SIM card is valid. It's easy to refill when you need more hours. As for SKYPE, I have never tried it, but I am able to answer emails when I get orders from my customers overseas. And I can read the latest news from around the world.

For 3,75 Baht per hour I really cannot complain. Yes, I connect my mobile via an USB cable to my laptop. If I go to my wife's home which is in Nakhon Nowhere I can just open my laptop and get connected to the world. Isn't this great? I bet there are still many farangs who don't know this exists.

Edited by Dario

Sounds like a 3G dongle, a mobile phone for data only, increasingly popular here in the UK as they are not limited to 'hotspot' providers (althopugh coverage isn't 100% yet) and they have 'roaming' capability so they can be used on networks in different countries.

I have a larger version on the top of my boat at the moment since I cannot get a landline and ADSL-type broadband. :o

Search the forum for "3G".

K.

Thanks

I have a small unit that connects to a laptop via a USB port, it gives me wireless internet anywhere.

It is not associated with a phone number or an e-mail address.

I got it from Hutch, google Hutch Thailand for more info, there are several Hutch shops around Bangkok.

As for Skype, it depends on the package you get, what I have cost 12k Baht for the unit and 1 years unlimited internet

FD :o

Thanks

I think what you mean is a small modem with SIM card, I am using this system to connect internet in Europe and when I went to Thailand last year I brought this modem and laptop with me, I could connect to internet everywhere I want but for connect to internet in aboard it will be more expensive (for me I pay per Kb.). In Thailand, I think you need to ask about air-card (like pitures below), there are a few kinds of port that you can choose, you only have to check which slot of your notebook is.

Pott: PCMCIA , it wide approx. 2.5 inch, can use only with slot PCMIA

Port:EXPRESS (it is port of new model notebook) ,it wide approx. 1 inch, can use only with slot EXPRESS

If you want it can use with notebook and normal PC, better to buy port USB that you can use with PCMIA and EXPRESS too.

COM0003045a.jpg

And also you have to check that which one support with you SIM card (DTAC,AIS,TRUE), and there are different speed (GPRS and EDGE or GPRS, EDGE and 3G). The price that I see is between 4,700 - 9,000 baht with free 40 hours internet and then you have to pay follow their rate (you can check the option at the shop that you buy).

For me, I bought Vodaphone and now I try with PROXIMUS, it is small modem that you need SIM card (same telephone SIM card) to put inside modem and I need code (4 numbers) for connect to internet. It not link with my telephone, I use another brand for my mobile, so it is not the same telephone bill.

Thanks

Hi, As you see below you can buy in Panthip an "air card" or "edge card" for between 4000 and 11000 baht, this is either a USB or fits in the PCMCIA slot. You insert a sim card from either DTAC or AIS (sold at the same shop). The sim cards are sold e.g. 99 baht for 30 hours and when it expires throw the old one away and start again. If you have a monthly telephone contract with AIS or DTAC you can add this service and they will give you an extra sim card. I pay 390 baht a month for 140 hours. 24/7 coverage is about 850 baht per month. The signal obviously comes through the mobile phone network, however I find the connection faster than when I used a mobile phone and bluetooth connection to my laptop. I am not technically proficient and just took my laptop into Panthip and let them set it up for me!

I never heard of this, but this is what I am using on my laptop anywhere I have mobile signal in Thailand:

I signed up with DTAC for a Bluetooth Internet srevice. You do need to have a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. I have a special DTAC card which is valid for 1 year. I pay 375 Baht for 100 hours of 115KB Internet. There is no time limit to use up your hours as long as your DTAC SIM card is valid. It's easy to refill when you need more hours. As for SKYPE, I have never tried it, but I am able to answer emails when I get orders from my customers overseas. And I can read the latest news from around the world.

For 3,75 Baht per hour I really cannot complain. Yes, I connect my mobile via an USB cable to my laptop. If I go to my wife's home which is in Nakhon Nowhere I can just open my laptop and get connected to the world. Isn't this great? I bet there are still many farangs who don't know this exists.