Fastest Growing Shade Tree?

RY12

The Indian almond tree (terminalia catappa) is an umbrella like tree and grows easy in the tropics, like here in the PHlippines and should be the same in LOS, even in beaches. Should be the best choice.

I would not think so, if you want a fast growing tree! Also this tree is not an almond and is better known as Sea Almond here [ต้นหูกวาง in Thai]. The tree only looks like an umbrella when very young, later it becomes a real 40m tree, maybe not so good if you just have a small garden.

Indeed, they are very common here on Phuket, the beachfront of Patong has a number, another place to look would be Laem Singh beach (where there are actually lots of new seedlings that can be dug out easily -- very hardy, will survive being pulled out if really just very small).

The Phuket Aquarium has a tree with a name sign on it, if in doubt of correct identification.

If you want to see what monster size those trees become, go to Tri Trang Beach, the one right at the beach entrance with the swing is a sea almond (as in the picture attached). Roots will be very strong and I would not want to have such a thing near the base of my house.

For aquarium hobbyists, the leaves are a very good source of tannins which is very good for fighting fish for example. Again caution, use 10 leaves at once and you will turn the water in your tank ink black in a matter of days (I am overdoing it sometimes with such experiments, I know).

post-27357-1222001087_thumb.jpg

Thanks GungadDin,

My girl says they have a tree or 2 that looks like that around the corner from where we are. Those will look real nice on the perimeter & one large one in the yard of the new house we are going to be building soon. Looks like a great place for a stone table & some lounge chairs.

Try posting the question about palms in this forum. I think the farming forum might yield some answers.

Mayeb the trees she talks about are Cashew Nuts (Anacardium occidentale, มะม่วงหิมพานต), young trees can look very similar, the leaves also very large and round (only the tips are different).

At least there is something edible on them, even though the hassle of preparing the actual Cashew Nuts might not be worth it. There is a reason they are so expensive :-(

Hi

Whilst thinking of short term shade, don't forget to plan for the future>> Hang Nuk Yung takes a lot of beating

TBWG :o

post-24662-1222001952_thumb.jpg

You will have to be careful what you get at the plant shop; this in the picture is Hang Nok Yung Farang (Delonix regia, Flame tree), grows into a big tree and gives shade when cut to form accordingly.

What Thais normally understand under 'Hang Nok Yung' is a small bush (so no good for shade at all) as you see it planted on road sides and middle sections of highways, very hardy and close to impossible to kill. So hardy indeed that it develops a root system that is so competitive that nothing else will grow below them. The seeds of it do develop extremely eager, so it would be easy to experiment with them for example for your garden perimeter.

If it were my property and all I wanted was fast shade, I'd plant a "Jambolan Plum" or "Syzygium cumini" or in Thai it is "ma-ha" or "Wa". This tree grows very fast and very large. We have a few that must be 20 meters high and 15 meters accross. The seed can be dried and planted and sprouting in a few weeks. After a year you will have shade. After a few years you can harvest thousands of tasty plums.

Draw a simple landscape plan. Show your future building outline and driveways, then plant your desired trees. I'd hate to see you have to remove one after growing it.

meandwi