How To Compact/tamp Soil Before Building

RY12

Have a small lot that can only be accessed through a soi not wide enough for cars (tuk-tuk's can). Soil is bumpy and torn up, how do I compact it down? A hand-held tamper would take forever I think... but I don't want to rent any expensive piece of equipment from the highway department or anything...

Edited by RY12

We used a small caterpiller tractor to compact and level, the weight of the vehicle, the vibration from it's engine and the blade makes a nice level hard pad. The small ones are no bigger than a tuk tuk.

We used a small caterpiller tractor to compact and level, the weight of the vehicle, the vibration from it's engine and the blade makes a nice level hard pad. The small ones are no bigger than a tuk tuk.

How much did that caterpiller cost a day? I guess we'd only need it for one day. how exactly is the blade used, do they raise and lower it smashing the ground or just drag it?

How much did that caterpiller cost a day? I guess we'd only need it for one day. how exactly is the blade used, do they raise and lower it smashing the ground or just drag it?

If I remember correctly it was about 5k a day BUT the problem was getting it close to the site on a truck because it can't go on paved roads very well. I guess on a short soi the truck would dump it at the end and it would make it's own way to the site. The sheer weight of the machine and the engine did the compacting, the blade only scrapes and levels the dirt.

Edited by Rimmer

• 10 months later...
Have a small lot that can only be accessed through a soi not wide enough for cars (tuk-tuk's can). Soil is bumpy and torn up, how do I compact it down? A hand-held tamper would take forever I think... but I don't want to rent any expensive piece of equipment from the highway department or anything...

If you are not in any hurry to build or develope this atrea then use natures best tool the rain it will slowly compress naturally or a light hose sprinkler and roll it alot tip for a roller i used a plastic drum and filled with concrete got my local chap to make a double handle out of tube 2 stonge locals and away you go,depends on the structure of the soil as to how tight you can get it some soil lays down tighter than others you need the compound they use on the road construction i personally use this under my drive way and it compacts like concrete eventually. :)

Edited by BAZZAT

If you are not in any hurry to build or develope this atrea then use natures best tool the rain it will slowly compress naturally ...

How long does it take for the rain to do the trick? A few weeks ago I had 60 loads of dirt dumped on our 1/2 rai lot in Wang Nam Yen. There was a grader which spreaded it all about (see photo), hopefully doing a lot of compacting in the process. Rain, no problem. In WNY it rains and rains and rains.

We hope to begin construction in about a year. Sufficient time for natural compaction of all this dirt?

post-58274-1248228450_thumb.jpg

How long does it take for the rain to do the trick? A few weeks ago I had 60 loads of dirt dumped on our 1/2 rai lot in Wang Nam Yen. There was a grader which spreaded it all about (see photo), hopefully doing a lot of compacting in the process. Rain, no problem. In WNY it rains and rains and rains.

We hope to begin construction in about a year. Sufficient time for natural compaction of all this dirt?[/b] /quote]

Mind me asking what the price of soil and delivery is in your area? We have sub-grade property (former rice farm) in Chiang Rai that we want to develop. Are the loads bigger than 7 cubic meters per delivery?