Atm Max Withdrawals

Where can I get the maximum withdrawal from an ATM in Bangkok? I used to use Citi, but their fees Stateside have tripled, so I'm looking for a local bank, preferably without much local fee (Bangkok Bank? Kasikorn?).

The good thing at Citi was you could withdraw up to 30,000 at a time. Other places I tried were only 20 or 25.

I've looked into wiring the money, which with large amts would be cheaper, but I don't know if I'll necessarily be here to spend it. So for now, just ATM suggestions please.

Any help is greatly appreciated (if this has probably been covered, a URL is fine)... Thanks!

Where can I get the maximum withdrawal from an ATM in Bangkok? I used to use Citi, but their fees Stateside have tripled, so I'm looking for a local bank, preferably without much local fee (Bangkok Bank? Kasikorn?).

The good thing at Citi was you could withdraw up to 30,000 at a time. Other places I tried were only 20 or 25.

I've looked into wiring the money, which with large amts would be cheaper, but I don't know if I'll necessarily be here to spend it. So for now, just ATM suggestions please.

Any help is greatly appreciated (if this has probably been covered, a URL is fine)... Thanks!

Your daily limit is determined by your own bank.

The maximum you can draw on a single withdrawal as far as know is THB 30,000.

Most ATM these days hit you a withdrawal fee, usually THB 20.0

If you dont need to keep big amounts of cash in Thailand, dont. Open an offshore account in somewhere like Singapore and work out of the that account. Seeing as you are already with Citibank, have a look at citibank international personal banking in Singapore, provided you maintain your balance over US$ 25,000 no bank fees,however you will get stung the THB 20, when using a Thai ATM.

Been doing it this ways for years and work for me...

If you dont need to keep big amounts of cash in Thailand, dont. Open an offshore account in somewhere like Singapore and work out of the that account. Seeing as you are already with Citibank, have a look at citibank international personal banking in Singapore, provided you maintain your balance over US$ 25,000 no bank fees,however you will get stung the THB 20, when using a Thai ATM.

i'll be spending that cash directly or depositing in an acct here. i don't have sufficient funds to open the kind of offshore acct you suggest, but out of curiosity, how does that help exactly? (i mean, what's the difference between having the acct in the us and having it in singapore?)

wiring the money directly to my acct here would be the way to go if i could just get a grip on my future. as it is...

any ideas which banks will allow that THB 30,000 withdrawal? i've been stuck with lower limits in the past and would like to avoid more than one or two trips trying to figure it out.

You can withdraw any amount off a local ATM based with local bank. (Well at least SCB you can)

When they issue you the card it normally comes with a 20k limit but you can change that amount at the ATM machine.

But I seem to remember you then have to withdraw multiple amounts of 20k as that is the most the machine will give you in one transaction. However there is no limit for one day as long as you have enough funds.

For international cards the bank fixes the limit but I guess you could withdraw and put into a local bank and then do as above.

i'll be spending that cash directly or depositing in an acct here. i don't have sufficient funds to open the kind of offshore acct you suggest, but out of curiosity, how does that help exactly? (i mean, what's the difference between having the acct in the us and having it in singapore?)

wiring the money directly to my acct here would be the way to go if i could just get a grip on my future. as it is...

any ideas which banks will allow that THB 30,000 withdrawal? i've been stuck with lower limits in the past and would like to avoid more than one or two trips trying to figure it out.

With the addtional detail you have given, in your case it would be of no benefit to open an offshore account, may as well stay working out of your US account.

As regards Thai ATM's - SCB will definitely give you THB 30,000 from a single withdrawal, know this is correct as its ATM's I use..

Distinguish between ATM withdrawals on an overseas card or ATM withdrawals from 'local banks.'

In the latter case you have to transfer USD to THB one way or another (ie by SWIFT or the ATM withdrawal method you described). ATM withdrawals are free within each province with max limits varying from bank to bank.

With overseas ATM card withdrawals it will depend on your card provider to a degree. I can only speak for the UK where the standard card limit is GBP 300 per day (equivalent). Higher amounts are available by arrangement or by paying for/qualifying for 'Premier' accounts.

Overseas ATM withdrawals are pretty much 'free' at point of withdrawal (except Siam Comm Bank 20 Baht). Any real costs come in your own banks fee or exchange rate. Shop around - in the UK Nationwide are free and their rate is better than any other clearing bank. This is also a ''debit" card which hits your account immediately - with 'Credit Cards' you will get a fee and interest from the date of withdrawal.

Anyone know the daily limit for Bangkok Bank ATM's using a UK Nationwide (or I guess offshore) account - I find it a really usefull and indeed 'free' mechanism of topping up my Bangkok Bang Account for paying utility bills etc (OK the money is not free but there are no transaction charges whatsoever).

Anyone know the daily limit for Bangkok Bank ATM's using a UK Nationwide (or I guess offshore) account - I find it a really usefull and indeed 'free' mechanism of topping up my Bangkok Bang Account for paying utility bills etc (OK the money is not free but there are no transaction charges whatsoever).

Dont know..but why dont you just start drawing cash from a BB ATM till it tells you you can have anymore...and thats your limit.. :o

For SCB you can set it up on the ATM machine as no daily limit or a higher daily limit than you have.

Actually I am not sure if they have it in English, will have to check next time.

For BKK with Nationwide card, on mine it is the Baht equivalent of 300 pounds per day

For SCB you can set it up on the ATM machine as no daily limit or a higher daily limit than you have.

Actually I am not sure if they have it in English, will have to check next time.

For BKK with Nationwide card, on mine it is the Baht equivalent of 300 pounds per day

Thanks as always cmsally - will experiment next time - the 'big' amount button followed by a smaller amount button :o

Edited by pkrv

ATM machines will dispense a maximum number of notes, and each bank will have its limits for a total value allowed per day.

Kasikorn Bank is 20 notes.

Bangkok Bank might still be 25 notes.

UOB is 30 notes.

Apologies for my vaguely worded post. This was the answer I was looking for (the maximum the machine will spit out at once, not my own bank's daily limit).

Looks like I've got UOB at 30(k presumably?) Citi and SCB? Any others?

Thanks for the help.

I don't think you can use a ATM/Debit card in the bank at the cashier cage if the card is from a foreign bank

If they do it most likely it will be a cash advance type transaction and you would need a passport and fill out paperwork and the cashier will not be happy.

As someone already said. Plug your card in to the ATM more than one time until you reach your max limit from your bank.

ordinary Citibank withdrawal limit is $1,000 per day.

However, I called their support and asked for the limit to be raised to $5,000/day and they agreed.

After a few days, I noticed they (or their masters; Visa/Cirrus, etc) increased fees from 2% to 3% of amount withdrawn.

So, I wasn't happy about paying 600 baht for every Bt.20,000 withdrawn - so, instead I switched to SWIFT transfer. I did a few transfers online (rather painless, once you get the hang of it), but now my bank account was just sold to another bank (details in separate post) - so now there's another spanner in the spokes. SWIFT transfers are a flat $30 per. I recommend doing well under $10,000 each time, and doing it in dollars (the exchange can happen at this end).

I used to trust bankers, now they get about as much respect from me as the guys who peddle skin whitener cream to 14 year old Thai chicks.

Hi Brahmburgers

I concur with you to transfer foreign currency into LOS rather than Thai Bhat. Tried it out the other way round this month and lost one full Baht per US$. In reference to your advice to keep the value well under 10 Grand; would one encounter higher bank changes if the transfer value is above 10 K or were you refering to the general rule-of-the-thumb "only transfer what you really need in LOS"?

Thanks for your input.

I don't think you can use a ATM/Debit card in the bank at the cashier cage if the card is from a foreign bank

If they do it most likely it will be a cash advance type transaction and you would need a passport and fill out paperwork and the cashier will not be happy.

As someone already said. Plug your card in to the ATM more than one time until you reach your max limit from your bank.

You can use a Debit Card to draw larger amounts inside the bank from the cashier - must be a Debit Card and not just a cash/ATM card. The paperwork is 2 signatures - one on the transaction slip and one on the photocopy of your passport that the cashier will make. Painless. Both times I have made large withdrawals with my UK Debit Card, the cashier was entirely happy. If you go to a small branch that doesn't deal with farang that much, probably worth talking to a manager at one of the desks first.

More details in my post on another thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Nationwide-F...ft-t213494.html

Short answer: it depend on the Bank. My local BBL allow BT50,000(main branch) the one across town only Bt30,000. Like wise with SCB. Beware(per my friend in Chaing Rai) the Main branch KTB allow Bt50,000 in 500 Baht Notes :D:o

Edited by BigSnake

ordinary Citibank withdrawal limit is $1,000 per day.

However, I called their support and asked for the limit to be raised to $5,000/day and they agreed.

After a few days, I noticed they (or their masters; Visa/Cirrus, etc) increased fees from 2% to 3% of amount withdrawn.

So, I wasn't happy about paying 600 baht for every Bt.20,000 withdrawn - so, instead I switched to SWIFT transfer. I did a few transfers online (rather painless, once you get the hang of it), but now my bank account was just sold to another bank (details in separate post) - so now there's another spanner in the spokes. SWIFT transfers are a flat $30 per. I recommend doing well under $10,000 each time, and doing it in dollars (the exchange can happen at this end).

I used to trust bankers, now they get about as much respect from me as the guys who peddle skin whitener cream to 14 year old Thai chicks.

Were you able to initiate the first transfer from Citi to your acct in Thailand online? I haven't tried with Citi yet, but with BofA, I think I have to actually _be_ in the States at least for the first transfer. Maybe I misunderstood. If you have more info on how this works, would appreciate it.

I withdrew 30000 baht from 2 atms last evening using card from foreign bank. Thsi morning I cannot withdraw money from any atm. Is this because the limit is already reached for 24 hour period? i thought it would just be until COB for that day, not 24 hours. I am confused because I have always done this before with no problem. Is it easier to just transfer money from US bank to Thai bank? I went to US bank and asked how to do this and they told me there was no way, but I see people here do it all the time.

Tellers and even some branch managers of US banks have never dealt with a SWIFT transfer so they think it is not possible. You have to insist they can do it until you get a person that knows about it. Be sure to ask for a SWIFT telegraphic transfer. Be prepared to pay up to 50 bucks for it.

TH

For those in the UK please see below from Nationwide:-

You can withdraw up to £300 a day in local currency subject to available funds. You have access to any of 750,000 cash machines world-wide displaying the Nationwide, LINK, VISA or CIRRUS symbols. We do not charge for using cash machines or to purchase goods, but the machine provider may make a charge over which we have no control.

The VISA/DELTA logos are shown on the FlexAccount Debit Card and cash can be withdrawn from any ATM, bank or building society which is a member of VISA and the purchase of goods and services wherever the VISA or DELTA logos are displayed. This includes over 17 million retail outlets and over half a million VISA cash machines world-wide. Withdrawals from cash machines will be given in local currency, which will be converted to Sterling at the exchange rate applicable on the day of the transaction and applied to the account.

When using a Nationwide debit card or credit card abroad the purchases made are commission free and with no foreign currency loading, i.e. the VISA exchange rate applied to Nationwide is passed directly to our member with no profit margin.

To avoid the risk of the retailer applying a currency loading, always request payment in the local currency not £ sterling, under VISA rules the retailer must provide this.

You can withdraw cash abroad with your credit card in the same way as you can in the UK, credit card withdrawals are subject to a cash withdrawal fee.

For those in the UK please see below from Nationwide:-

You can withdraw up to £300 a day in local currency subject to available funds. You have access to any of 750,000 cash machines world-wide displaying the Nationwide, LINK, VISA or CIRRUS symbols. We do not charge for using cash machines or to purchase goods, but the machine provider may make a charge over which we have no control.

The VISA/DELTA logos are shown on the FlexAccount Debit Card and cash can be withdrawn from any ATM, bank or building society which is a member of VISA and the purchase of goods and services wherever the VISA or DELTA logos are displayed. This includes over 17 million retail outlets and over half a million VISA cash machines world-wide. Withdrawals from cash machines will be given in local currency, which will be converted to Sterling at the exchange rate applicable on the day of the transaction and applied to the account.

When using a Nationwide debit card or credit card abroad the purchases made are commission free and with no foreign currency loading, i.e. the VISA exchange rate applied to Nationwide is passed directly to our member with no profit margin.

To avoid the risk of the retailer applying a currency loading, always request payment in the local currency not £ sterling, under VISA rules the retailer must provide this.

You can withdraw cash abroad with your credit card in the same way as you can in the UK, credit card withdrawals are subject to a cash withdrawal fee.

Yep I agree with that! Though for some unacountable reason I have not visitied all 17 million retail outlets - It is great stuff! IMO don't withdraw cash on the credit card though.