Length Of The Moat ?

SwaziBird

The prize goes to 1 square mile guesstimates (each side=1 mile in length-+ a few wobbly steps and cutting of curves while driving etc). I also always wondered how and why it comes out so close to a 1 mile measurement, maybe ancient Siam had a similiar measurement.

When I was a really young guy I was in the construction business in the area. King Mengrai told me he wanted the moat to be 800 wah x 800 wah as that was an auspicious number. He was the boss so that is the way we did it.

is it not true that the moat is longer around in the daytime than it is at night?

Yes, the moat is longer around in the daytime than at night. It expands slightly as a result of the heat of the day, and shrinks again with the cool of the evening.

is it not true that the moat is longer around in the daytime than it is at night?

Yes, the moat is longer around in the daytime than at night. It expands slightly as a result of the heat of the day, and shrinks again with the cool of the evening.

I was going to post that yesterday but decided I didn't need the comments that would result. :o

The prize goes to 1 square mile guesstimates (each side=1 mile in length-+ a few wobbly steps and cutting of curves while driving etc). I also always wondered how and why it comes out so close to a 1 mile measurement, maybe ancient Siam had a similiar measurement.

When I was a really young guy I was in the construction business in the area. King Mengrai told me he wanted the moat to be 800 wah x 800 wah as that was an auspicious number. He was the boss so that is the way we did it.

Bokkers, you blew it mate. King Mengrai asked for 800 wah on each side. And what did you give him? 800.5 wah. Can't you get anything right?

You and Mrs. Bokkers look much younger than you truly are. Well Mrs. Bokkers does at least.

I was going to post that yesterday but decided I didn't need the comments that would result. :o

And as you do not them, you are giving yours away now?

And as you do not them, you are giving yours away now?

Rassaroo, please explain what you are attempting to say here. Please.

Since you asked so nicely, I left out a 'need' -- not something I do often, preferring satisfaction to exclusion -- in what should have been 'And as you do not need them, you are giving yours away now?' Capiche?

nice one, i knew there'd be a scientific explanation. :o

Bokkers, you blew it mate. King Mengrai asked for 800 wah on each side. And what did you give him? 800.5 wah. Can't you get anything right?

You and Mrs. Bokkers look much younger than you truly are. Well Mrs. Bokkers does at least.

One's measuring stick shrinks when working in water for a long period of time.

I have read many publications that say the moat is 1 square kilometer.

It's very close to 1 sq. mile (1.6km on each side) which is strange because I don't think Imperial measurements were ever used in Thailand.

Yes, I meant to say 1 square mile, but I thought I was mistaken because of the imperial measurment. :o

While we're on the subject... I read somewhere that there were over 100 Wats inside the old city. I have always wondered if that number was accurate.

Wondering where you read that. There are supposed to be around 30 wats in the old city.

36 active temples within the old city area (based on a Google search).

I can confirm this as an exact, actual figure, assuming that 'active' means large enough for monk's living quarters and not that Buddha isn't serviced at the site in question anymore. To the 36 should (maybe?) be added two small sites, which most people wouldn't recognize as a Wat, but nonetheless are named as such on many maps. One is the small isolated stupa/chedi (?) at the intersection of Prapokklao and Ratchamanka, the other is the isolated Buddha a bit down the street on your left when standing in front of and facing the 3-kings monument.

My confirmation is based on an empirical, first hand, first person shooter research on location at ground level. I've got photos from 38 Wats (including the 2 which may not deserve the label) all located inside the moats. During the quest of obtaining the photos I made it very sure there weren't any unknown wat hiding down some obscure branch of any side sois to the main soy of the area that was staked for that day's photo session.

Wonder if the two isolated sites above, have ever been part of any complete Wat compund?

The moat only appears to contract at night as those of us in the majority persuasion instinctively walk far more quickly past the Thapae Gate area at night than during the day.

While we're on the subject... I read somewhere that there were over 100 Wats inside the old city. I have always wondered if that number was accurate.

Wondering where you read that. There are supposed to be around 30 wats in the old city.

36 active temples within the old city area (based on a Google search).

I can confirm this as an exact, actual figure, assuming that 'active' means large enough for monk's living quarters and not that Buddha isn't serviced at the site in question anymore. To the 36 should (maybe?) be added two small sites, which most people wouldn't recognize as a Wat, but nonetheless are named as such on many maps. One is the small isolated stupa/chedi (?) at the intersection of Prapokklao and Ratchamanka, the other is the isolated Buddha a bit down the street on your left when standing in front of and facing the 3-kings monument.

My confirmation is based on an empirical, first hand, first person shooter research on location at ground level. I've got photos from 38 Wats (including the 2 which may not deserve the label) all located inside the moats. During the quest of obtaining the photos I made it very sure there weren't any unknown wat hiding down some obscure branch of any side sois to the main soy of the area that was staked for that day's photo session.

Wonder if the two isolated sites above, have ever been part of any complete Wat compund?

Your work is truly awesome! But I rather doubt you'll find the answer here to your question. However, as you no doubt know, there are some very, very knowledgeable historians in Chiang Mai. For a simple start, try the cultural centerto find them. If you are as good a photographer as you are apparently thorough, I think there would be a number of people who would be genuinely pleased to see your work and advise you on the history.