Uk Visit Visa (house Ownership)

Hi -

First up thanks any advice in advance.

My GF is about to apply for a visit visa to the UK.

I am fairly confident on most aspects apart from two things;

I own my own place in the UK (two bedroom flat) - but I own the place with my Ex girlfriend (joint ownership), so we are both shown on the house deeds and mortgage. Now things between myself and my Ex are very amicable and we talk and get on very well (but no more then that!!!). I live at the flat and she lives abroad and out of the UK. My Ex is happy for me in that I have found someone I really care for and get on with so there really is no bad feelings between us. We do intend to sell, but as you know the Market in the UK is dire at this moment with no mortgages around for first time buyers, so we plan to wait a couple of years.

Is the joint ownership likely to screw up the visa result? I have considered getting my Ex to write a letter saying that it is currently my home (to live in) and it is up to me who stays there (she rents her half to me). Would it be worth providing as a letter or is this better to just not mention as its not an issue???

The other concern is reason to return - currently her work will not give her time off (apart from sick) so we cannot get a letter saying that she can take leave for a designated period and will be employed on return, only that she is employed with salary amount. Will that letter be rejected on the basis of no dates have been specified? Would it be better for her to quit and apply without job?

Other then this everything else look's viable. We have lots of photos, emails, phone bills and she already has a 10 year ME USA visa. She also has Japanese Visa stamps from studying over there for three years at Universty after winning a scholarship to study there. She also has stamps in her passport from visiting singapore and south korea.

One last thing - Her folks are School teachers. Would letters from them confirming the relationship help ? (we will get married and have got their blessing) I was thinking the father could write out a letter in Thai on headed paper?

Thank you all again. I did try the search but could not find a post that reflected my queries.

Edited by tlusername

The joint ownership should not be a problem. It is a good idea to show proof of ownership, though. As your ex girlfriend is named on the deeds and mortgage statement then you should get a letter from her saying that she has no objections to your current girlfriend staying there.

If the visa officer is satisfied that the applicant is genuine and the reason for the visit is genuine then they will accept that the applicant will leave the UK at the appropriate time. Provide a brief history of your relationship: how, where and when you met; how many times and for how long you have visited her in Thailand; what your future plans are together and the reason for her visiting the UK at this time. Evidence of the relationship such as phone bills, e-mails and photos of you together are essential.

You/she should explain that she currently works but her employer will not give her any holiday (not unusual in Thailand if one has not been with the company long). Also explain what her plans regarding work are when she returns.

Previous visas are a positive in most circumstances, as long as the conditions of the visa were adhered to! However, I'm not sure what a 10 year ME USA visa is. If it involves sponsorship by a US national then she should explain what has happened to her relationship with that sponsor.

Don't leave anything to chance. Anything that you think may be relevant should be mentioned and explained. If in doubt, put it in; it is better to tell the visa officer something they don't need than to miss out something that they do.

My parents were embassy officials and I managed to get a UK visa for my girlfriend to visit without any problems. However, my advise is as follows:

The embassy is primarily concerned with the fact that you, and more specifically, your girlfriend are not going to overstay/bring about a whole load of **** on the issuing officer, for granting her a visa in the first place. Therefore, my advice is to concentrate on this rather than the status of your house back home.

For a visit visa you should not require photos or any other such evidence that is required if you're applying for a marriage visa. This is from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

1) Make sure that you can convince them that you, yourself, are returning to Thailand - any letter(s) from your employer/proof of ownership or rental of house would make this more convincing. Remember that you have to appear as squeaky clean as she does. You need to have a reason for returning to Thailand as much as she does. A letter from her employer granting leave would really help this, but otherwise just take along a reference.

2) Make sure that you can account for all costs that will be incurred by providing bank statements, as well as a letter from a family member back home (with legitimate address/contact details) saying that they can vouch for you.

3) An itineray would show some forethought - believe me many girls are refused simply because they know nothing about the UK or where they're going to stay ("somewhere in Wales..." does not sound good).

As long as you stick by the rules, you will then be able to get another visa without a problem. If your intentions are honest then stick by these loose rules.

The joint ownership should not be a problem. It is a good idea to show proof of ownership, though. As your ex girlfriend is named on the deeds and mortgage statement then you should get a letter from her saying that she has no objections to your current girlfriend staying there.

If the visa officer is satisfied that the applicant is genuine and the reason for the visit is genuine then they will accept that the applicant will leave the UK at the appropriate time. Provide a brief history of your relationship: how, where and when you met; how many times and for how long you have visited her in Thailand; what your future plans are together and the reason for her visiting the UK at this time. Evidence of the relationship such as phone bills, e-mails and photos of you together are essential.

You/she should explain that she currently works but her employer will not give her any holiday (not unusual in Thailand if one has not been with the company long). Also explain what her plans regarding work are when she returns.

Previous visas are a positive in most circumstances, as long as the conditions of the visa were adhered to! However, I'm not sure what a 10 year ME USA visa is. If it involves sponsorship by a US national then she should explain what has happened to her relationship with that sponsor.

Don't leave anything to chance. Anything that you think may be relevant should be mentioned and explained. If in doubt, put it in; it is better to tell the visa officer something they don't need than to miss out something that they do.

Hi 7by7,

Thanks so much for the info.

I will source a letter from my ex - its bound to be considered by the visa officer (and like say you it is better to tell the visa officer something they don't need than to miss out something that they do).

As for her job - this needs valuation.

She will need to quit to come to the UK as work won't give her time off. As they won't give her time off she cannot get a letter granting leave for declared dates. She has a letter now stating her employment and salary, so she can;

1. Show letter and state she will quit job and find another upon return (not so good for reason to return).

2. Show letter and quit, but only quit after she gets Visa (which I don't feel so comfortable about as it's getting into lying).

I think option 1 is the most realistic (but the letter will not hold ground as she will say is to quit).

The real fact is that there is no way she would overstay as this would totally screw up out chances of both living and building a life together in the UK. Its just how to prove this to the embassy - which is where we do have photos, emails, call bills etc.

I am going to find out some more about the US visa. But as much as I know for now, she applied whilst working and at uni in Japan showing her own money as a means to support - this was enough to get her a 10 year multiple entry visa (but sounds like I need to clairify this).

Edited by tlusername

My parents were embassy officials and I managed to get a UK visa for my girlfriend to visit without any problems. However, my advise is as follows:

The embassy is primarily concerned with the fact that you, and more specifically, your girlfriend are not going to overstay/bring about a whole load of **** on the issuing officer, for granting her a visa in the first place. Therefore, my advice is to concentrate on this rather than the status of your house back home.

For a visit visa you should not require photos or any other such evidence that is required if you're applying for a marriage visa. This is from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

1) Make sure that you can convince them that you, yourself, are returning to Thailand - any letter(s) from your employer/proof of ownership or rental of house would make this more convincing. Remember that you have to appear as squeaky clean as she does. You need to have a reason for returning to Thailand as much as she does. A letter from her employer granting leave would really help this, but otherwise just take along a reference.

2) Make sure that you can account for all costs that will be incurred by providing bank statements, as well as a letter from a family member back home (with legitimate address/contact details) saying that they can vouch for you.

3) An itineray would show some forethought - believe me many girls are refused simply because they know nothing about the UK or where they're going to stay ("somewhere in Wales..." does not sound good).

As long as you stick by the rules, you will then be able to get another visa without a problem. If your intentions are honest then stick by these loose rules.

Hi ibngazelle - thanks for the advice.

Especially point 3 - I will get her to start swatting up on the area and the UK.

Reason for return I should have maybe mentioned more that this is not an issue for me - I am already in the living and working in the UK so won't be going anywhere. Born and breed as they say :o

Edited by tlusername

As for her job - this needs valuation.

She will need to quit to come to the UK as work won't give her time off. As they won't give her time off she cannot get a letter granting leave for declared dates. She has a letter now stating her employment and salary, so she can;

1. Show letter and state she will quit job and find another upon return (not so good for reason to return).

2. Show letter and quit, but only quit after she gets Visa (which I don't feel so comfortable about as it's getting into lying).

I think option 1 is the most realistic (but the letter will not hold ground as she will say is to quit).

Option one is the only option! As well as saying that she will seek work upon her return, any evidence that she has good prospects of finding it will help. A qualified professional will stand a better chance here than, say, a shelf stacker at Tesco Lotus.

With option 2, if she is using her job as a reason to return then the visa officer will probably want to see a letter from her employer granting her a leave of absence.

The real fact is that there is no way she would overstay as this would totally screw up out chances of both living and building a life together in the UK. Its just how to prove this to the embassy - which is where we do have photos, emails, call bills etc.
Exactly, which is why the evidence of your relationship and a brief explanation of your future plans is essential, despite what ibngazelle says.

Many couples in your position have been successful in obtaining a visit visa. Those that have failed have usually done so for one of two reasons:-

1) They have a long term relationship and are a genuine couple with a genuine reason for visiting the UK, as you are, but have failed to show it.

2) They only know each other because the sponsor barfined the applicant for a couple of weeks and the girl is using the sponsor, with or without his complicity, so she can gain entry to the UK and so increase her earnings potential.

It is the activities of the second group that has made it so much harder for genuine applicants such as you and your girlfriend.

Ensure that you dot all the is and cross all the ts and you should be ok.

Thanks 7by7.

It looks like option 1 is the way we shall approach this.

As discussed earlier in the thread - the visa is a US B1/B2 which is valid for 10 years and multiple entry for periods of between 2-3 months. She aplied whilst in Japan and was granted based on her Uni course and Job she had at the time as well as a landlord letter, she did not have a sponsor as she had adequate funds for the travel itinerary she outlined.

Wish us luck. I will keep you posted as well (fingers crossed it will be good news).