Teachers/doctors/professors

grtaylor

I've been following an English language thread on another website, concerning the confusion over the difference between teacher and professor in English, and who is entitled to call themselves "Doctor". It set me thinking about various aspects of Thai which I find confusing.

It seem quite clear that in Thai the transliterated "dokter" is used for someone with a "prinya aek" degree, whatever discipline.

However, I am unclear as to the distinction between "mor" and "paerd" for a medical doctor (although I know that "mor" can be used in a wider sense, as in "mor doo" - astrologer). So, why do the nursing staff at Bumrungrad refer to the doctors as "ajarn", and what is the origin of that word?

"Ajarn" means teacher, but so does "khru" (from the Sanskrit). I always understood that "khru" was used up to High School level, and "ajarn" at universities. So, I'm not sure how that fits with a medical doctor.

I've heard that in the Protestant Christian churches here "Ajarn" is used as the way of addressing the pastor.

What is the exact meaning of "satrajarn" - professor?

Anyone like to clarify?

Many of the doctors at Bumrungrad are also professors. For example, my wife's obstetrician works/teaches at Chula Hospital/Medical School during the week, and moonlights at Bumrungrad on the weekend.

In general, though, since in theory a medical doctor is a possessor of great knowledge, and by definition holds a doctorate degree, อาจารย์ ajarn might be appropriate even when they're not strictly a professor, too--can someone please confirm or refute that?

Thais also often use (พระ)อาจารย์ phra ajarn generally for monks, based on the similar idea that monk = wise person.

ศาสตราจารย์ sastrajarn is the formal term for university professor, a compound of ศา%

Edited by Rikker