John's Place?

bangkok blue

Been past John's a few times now.... Looks like their doing it up but seem to be taking their time about it. Quite a good place for cheap beer and footy.... Any idea when it'll re-open?

John's place as well as The Leprechaun have been bought by De Naga Hotel....So no more John's place ...

Been past John's a few times now.... Looks like their doing it up but seem to be taking their time about it. Quite a good place for cheap beer and footy.... Any idea when it'll re-open?

John's place as well as The Leprechaun have been bought by De Naga Hotel....So no more John's place ...

Holy cow batman!!!! Another legend bites the dust!!!!! Been in Thailand 4 yrs now and always remember that place as a good meeting point for a good evening of footy..... Wonder if my 20% discount card will still be valid for the new venue :o

Cosy Corner is the legend. John's Place came much later.

Neither of these places are legendary. They are both quite recent additions to the Chiang Mai scene.

The Oasis, which was where part of John's Place is, was memorable in the 80's to early 90's with the owner/legend Stuart trying to stand up at the end of the bar on a daily basis. Died of the bottle in the end much to his wife's and her boyfriends delight. And no, they didn't whack him over the head with it, just kept giving him the contents.

The Black Cat, which was where the Luffing Leper is now, was also a place where legends were made during the time that Max and Tony had it in the late 80's to early 90's.

Edited by Blinky Bill

He means Cozy Corner across the Soi. I "date" a young lady from Cozy and she assures me that they will be back. :D

I didn't think Somchai did dating services anymore, at least that's what he told me. :D

He was telling the truth, but if you have a certain charm, it is sometimes possible to arrange these things ones self! :o

Neither of these places are legendary. They are both quite recent additions to the Chiang Mai scene.

Legendary if you have not yet reached your 90s and get around by a 70 year old Mia Noi pushing your wheelchair. :o

Legendary if you have not yet reached your 90s and get around by a 70 year old Mia Noi pushing your wheelchair. :o

C'mon Ewe Gee, you know I have achieved neither of these goals.

Holy cow batman!!!! Another legend bites the dust!!!!! Been in Thailand 4 yrs now and always remember that place as a good meeting point for a good evening of footy..... Wonder if my 20% discount card will still be valid for the new venue :o

The card should be Ok as it has always been accepted in the past.

According to the schedule that I was told Cosy should be re-opening anytime soon.

The Oasis, which was where part of John's Place is, was memorable in the 80's to early 90's with the owner/legend Stuart trying to stand up at the end of the bar on a daily basis. Died of the bottle in the end much to his wife's and her boyfriends delight. And no, they didn't whack him over the head with it, just kept giving him the contents.

A pic outside outside the Oasis at Songkran in 1986.

NT-99-2000-P58S6a.jpg

Yeh, didn't that bookstore have a great map painted on the west wall? Breakfast with the latest map updates and off to the mountains. Good times. Thank you David.

I reckon the map was on the south-south-western wall. More south than west. From the frontage I reckon the wall ran on a heading of about 210 degrees.

You know I never get pedantic.

Yeh, didn't that bookstore have a great map painted on the west wall? Breakfast with the latest map updates and off to the mountains. Good times. Thank you David.

Apparently, the proprieter had his way with several of the female staff on the big breakfast table in the middle of the room until his wife caught on and threw him out - Another legend. :o

Apparently, the proprieter had his way with several of the female staff on the big breakfast table in the middle of the room until his wife caught on and threw him out - Another legend. :o

Ouch!!

I heard a rumour from a very reliable source that a former owner of the original Escape did similar things on table 3 of his establishment. Does that achieve legendary status?

This map:

TheoriginalKafe.jpg

But I think you guys have still missed a few other details.

He didn't always get caught & the bookshop certainly did not belong to him.

UG, even you of all people should know that you can't always believe the gossip from the ex. On the breakfast table?? That's a totally new one! Ha. Ha.

This map:

TheoriginalKafe.jpg

But I think you guys have still missed a few other details.

He didn't always get caught & the bookshop certainly did not belong to him.

UG, even you of all people should know that you can't always believe the gossip from the ex. On the breakfast table?? That's a totally new one! Ha. Ha.

Maybe it was under the breakfast table.