Ultra Portable Pcs: Asus, Acer, Msi

Richb2004v2

After returning home to Thailand after a month away I am still deliberating about buying an Asus EEE PC. I checked my local supplier today and found a shelf of different models at reduced prices. I am interested in the 20G 901 model which is now down to 15,800 Baht. However I am tempted to go with the 8G 701 model at the bargain price of 8,300 Baht! Amazingly the 4G 701 is only a little over 6,000 Baht. I almost feel like I have seen a bargain too good to miss even though I know I want the 901.

I know that before I left home there were a few threads running on these new ultra portable PCs, with a few folk on the verge of buying. I wonder how everyone is finding them, including the Acer One and MSI Wind. Is the lack of CD drive a problem? Have they replaced your larger laptop?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the earlier deliberators, but after some really useful info on this forum coupled with much internet hunting, I decided upon the Asus Eee PC 1000H and have been fairly happy with it. I say fairly as I have had a couple of issues:

Firstly, not too enamoured with the keyboard I must say. It feels cheap. When depressing a key for example, you feel that whole section of the keyboard giving way - very uncharacteristic of Asus. Responsiveness is not an issue, but it justdoesn't feel solid under the touch.

Secondly (and this may well be a software compatibility issue), I have had rather frustrating issues with the Bluetooth functionality, namely linking/pairing it to my phone for a wireless internet connection. Has got to the stage where I am having to take it to the Asus customer care office for them to sort it all out (hopefully). Must say that I've never had to take in any other portable computer I've ever owned in that short a time after purchasing. Am giving it the benefit of the doubt for now and hoping that the problem is with the nokia software, but it will be interesting to hear what they say at Asus (no doubt they'll agree with me!).

You always want to be buzzing about new toys like these, so when it doesn't quite go according to plan, then it is a bit of a let down. Saying all that though, the benefits of the portability of the device have most definitely outweighed the little inconveniences. Would be very interested to hear from people that own a couple of the different makes (though not sure why you would need to simultaneously?), how they stack up against each other. When I toyed around with the Acer is felt sturdier than the Asus for sure, but I've had my problems with Acer in the past, so was kinda scared off them...

As for the lack of a CD drive - I haven't found it a problem at all. Picked up a slim little LG model (its labelled "Slim" actually) for when a drive would be handy (software installation/DVD ripping and viewing etc) and it works smoothly off the USB connection.

Good luck anyway...

Edited by whooliggen

I have an Averatec with a 10" screen, don't know if that fits your criteria.

The screen and text are rather small but it serves its purpose, being that it is so lightweight. It is best if I am flying somewhere. I also keep it concealed in my truck just in case I need it when I am around town. (I have wireless broadband service.)

If I am on an extended out of town trip, and traveling by car, I generally take my larger laptop because the screen is bigger (14") and the weight and size aren't so important.

:o

I have a Asus EEE and haven't had any of the problems mentioned above. The keyboard does take a little getting used to though if your main system has a fullsize desktop keyboard. :o

The lack of the CD drive would be a bit of a pain if you didn't have another system with one + a few spare USB sticks.

Have got the Acer Aspire1 running Linux a version of fedora 1gb ram 120gb hard drive,

Its a well made little machine, not at all micky mouse good screen,there is a learning curve

but there is a lot of help and forums on the web.

It cost 349euro with linux, 399 with windows.

Its a net box, its not really a multimedia all bell and whistles machine but once you

get the hang of it its a cracking little machine.

Like most of them the battery is the let down 2-3 hours max, have just ordered from the

Acer site a new 6cell battery thats good for 6 hours 99euro,

Dont know what that does for the weight but what the hel_l can leave the Ipod behind.

and with both battery's charged will get me through a flight to los.

I have it plugged into my broadband and its very fast have not used the WiFi yet will

try soon,it does see plenty but they are all password protected.

This is a proper computer and as i really only want it for secure surfing,banking

and e-mail when i travel to Thailand/Cambodia it may even be a bit over the top.

But at that price you are into impulse buying territory.

I originally bought the first gen 2G EEEPC for one reason only, to run SKYPE.

I have a very good (expensive) Toshiba notebook, and I didn't like the idea of leaving it up and running 24/7 to keep my SKYPE alive, so thought this little ASUS could take over that duty. Well now it seems I use it for almost everything (like surfing forums) :o email, etc. I never shut it off.

The only time I fire up the Toshiba is if I want to do a WORD or PDF document, want to watch a DVD or need to install some software from a CD that is only windows compatible.

They are great little units, but I don't think it could be my only computer, at least not with Linux.

I really like my Asus EEE. The only thing i wish i knew before i bought it was knowing they would release a full screen size a couple of months down the line. But, still happy none-the-less.

Bought it mainly for when im travelling, but I find i use it quite often, especially in bed to browse the net before bedtime. Better than my heavier bulky laptop.

I run it on XP and have various programmes installed, mainly chat ones (skype, msn, yim, etc), outlook express, and some low res games. Doesnt run slow. Hooks up to wireless net systems easily. Keyboard is fine, only issue seems to be that it isnt as touch-sensitive as i would like. Im a fast typer and my touch-type is light. I have to be a bit harder with the Asus, esp the spacebar.

Apart from screen size, no regrets.

Just bought my EEEpc at Tesco, it's on offer for 12K or something alike.

900 series with 30 GB HD, comes with linux, but installed XP on it.

Works like a charm and picks up wireless rather good.

Seems like most people advise to upgrade to 2GB internal though.

In the UK a MSI Wind would cost ~£320. The Advent 4211 is the same thing rebadged by a nationwide retail store and is on sale for ~£270.

Thanks. :o

I believe Aldi (Aus) sold a version of the MSI but I can't find a link to it.

They had it in the UK here. Slightly better value than the 4211 asi it had Draft-n wigi rather than G.

In the UK a MSI Wind would cost ~£320. The Advent 4211 is the same thing rebadged by a nationwide retail store and is on sale for ~£270.

They had it in the UK here. Slightly better value than the 4211 asi it had Draft-n wifi rather than G.

They had it in the UK here. Slightly better value than the 4211 asi it had Draft-n wifi rather than G.

Cheers, there is no search engine on the Aldi Oz site, google brought up a load of german links.

"Medion Akoya Mini 10" NETBOOK E1210"

Oh well. I'll just have to wait for the next gen. with the 6 cell battery and bigger HD. :D

Cheers, there is no search engine on the Aldi Oz site, google brought up a load of german links.

"Medion Akoya Mini 10" NETBOOK E1210"

Oh well. I'll just have to wait for the next gen. with the 6 cell battery and bigger HD. :D

I popped into our local Aldi the day it went on sale. Too late. They'll all flown out the door!

The MSI Wind seem's to be getting some really good reviews...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4498

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/210372/msi-wind-u100.html

( The latest versions can have a 6 cell battery for longer life )

MSI Wind Home web site

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=pr...amp;cat2_no=582

For sale in Thailand , and may be re badged the AXIOO PICO and sold for around 17, 000 Baht for the 160 GB HDD version ... see here ...... http://www.jib.co.th/

On sale at ALDI UK ........ http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_7073.htm

Also sold around the world re- badged as

MSI Wind U100 ..................Worldwide

RoverBook Neo U100 ........Russia

Advent 4211........................Belgium, France, Luxemburg, Swiss, U.K

Medion Akoya Mini ............Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands

MyBook M11......................Denmark

Mivvy M310.......................Czech Republic

Tsunami Moover T10 ........Portugal

Casper Minibook................Turkey

Datron Mobee N011...........Turkey

Proline U100 UMPC ..........South Africa

CMS ICBook M1................Vietnam

HCL MiLeap MH 04...........India

Axioo Pico .........................Singapore, Indonesia

Averatec Netbook .............U.S

Mouse LuvBook U100 ......Japan

Portátil Beep Iridium U10...Spain

Ahtec LUG N011,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Belgium, Netherlands, Spain

MSI Wind Users Forum .... http://forums.msiwind.net/

Have a look inside a MSI Wind ..... http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id...img;7852;ssid;1

:o

Medion Akoya Mini ............Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands

Also the UK where it's being advertised in today's Times as being for sale in Sainsburys for £300 - again with Draft-N rather than G wifi.

i've got the 4g eee-pc and i love it, its small very light and i think the build quality is better than the acer (dont like the touchpad on the acer)

but if i brought again would go for at least 8gig if not 20 gig. still prefer ssd to hard drive because consumes less power and you can use it on the move no probs.

allan

I've got the Asus eee 900 20 Gb running under XP, I bought it when it just appeared in the shops for 19150 bahts, now available for much less, I used to have the 4 Gb 701 but the screen was just too small.

I bought a big battery on eBay which I carry around but hardly use, and got a 8 Gb SD card. I tweaked it a bit, put on a 2Gb RAM , and could not be happier with it. I found a small bag for it, and it is very portable and light, a big change from my former laptop which now never leaves my apartment . When I am on the move, it is easy to open and it connects everywhere on Wifi without problems. It does not come with Bluetooth but I found a small cheap Asus dongle which I hardly use anyway. I have never had a problem cause of the lack of DVD drive, just put the needed programs on a USB flash drive to install them , and it has worked perfectly so far.

Now that I have found how to connect on EDGE/GPRS through my mobile phone, access to internet is instantaneous. Brilliant. :o

Edited by pilou

I bought the Asus Eee 1000H with XP here in Canada, just over a week ago when there was a price drop. Competition can be a positive. So far I'm quite happy with it. I bought a small wireless mouse and an external dvd drive to use with it, so both have enhanced the Asus. It's all a big learning curve for me since I'm jumping to this from an old (eight year) Pentium III, using Windows 2000. First time I've ever used wifi. I especially like the 10 inch screen and this netbook's portability. No problems with the keyboard. I don't need anything more powerful, so eventually, once the PIII goes, this may turn out to be my primary computer.

I went to 2 shops today to compare the 1000HD and the Acer 1. I liked the look of the Acer and its got pretty much the same specs as the EEEpc. But a bigger hard drive(120G). I then went to Harvey Norman and they had the Eee Pc 1000HD. THis looked alot better with the bigger screen but then had less HD(80G). But as for how it looked, i'd go the EEEPC. The price is virtually the same. Just under AUd$700 with the Acer getting 100 cashback. However i could proably pick up an Acer on ebay for around 400-500. So a big saving. Yet i cant seem to get the same price difference on the EEEpc. But then there are less for sale on there. So i guess i'll just keep looking and decide later as theres no rush.