Cornerstone Language School

damole

I'm looking for a teacher to improve my Thai and have come to the conclusion that regular classes aren't suitable. I took some classes some years ago and my Thai has since developed in an organic way which doesn't match any of the levels of the classes available.

My friend spotted a big sign for this school on Hasadisewee road which I'd never heard of and so I went to check it out today. My question is has anybody had private lessons with a teacher there and could they relate their experience.

Please no discussion of other places or teachers.

thanks

Edited by damole

Cornerstone started out as the toughest language school in town -only for missionaries. Then they decided to make it into a business. For the last 6 years it has been open to everyone. There are 2 branches I think (The other one is near World Club-HangDong)

Their curriculum uses phonetics and sentence patterns and is taken from the OMF language program.

(whereas the Payap program uses Thai script as soon as possible)

Since becoming a business, they now move more at the pace of the student instead of the intense pace previously used.

ie- previously 1 module-20+vocab words a day.

Now it is at whatever pace the student can handle.

There are things I dissagree with there but overall it is one of the best programs in town.

BTW- I completed my B6 before they opened the office you are referring to but I know people involved there.

Hi, we popped in yesterday to have a look.

There was a big advert on HangDong Rd for lessons from 80Bt/hr . . . BUT

only if there's enough to make up a class of 5.

I've put my name down for the next one to start in HD rd. as soon as there are 3 or more!

David

They have loads of groups classes as always depending on a minimum class size of 5. There is survival Thai, conversational Thai, reading and writing plus various situation based classes and Thai culture classes. The courses are between 30 and 60 hrs and the cost is always 80 Bt / hr. If you want to have private classes it is 250 Bt / hr coming down to 180 Bt / hr if you block book 40 hrs, basically 4 weeks of 10 hrs. The classes are taught Monday to Friday in two hours slots starting at 8am either full time or part time. I don't know why the fee structure isn't given on the website, I have the prospectus they gave me when I visited and if I had a scanner handy I just post the whole thing.

I'm going for a 2nd interview tomorrow, that's me interviewing them, with the intention of starting classes Monday.

• 2 weeks later...
... ask them if its possible to dump the religious agenda???

I think they have. That's the point of opening the second location near KSK from what I understand that my better half has told me (she teaches there).

At the original location, they used to have "off-peak" (3-5pm) 1-on-1 rates that were very cheap if you paid on a monthly basis of 10 hours every week. It came to something like 135b or 145b/hr for 1-on-1 lessons. Cheapest 1-on-1 prices I found. Not sure if they still have that available, or if it is available at both locations or even if it still exists. And 1-on-1 you learn at your own speed and all the attention is on you so you learn faster. Doesn't hurt to ask if they still have that I guess.

I just finished my first week of individual tuition the cost is 190 Bt / hr plus a one off registration fee of 200 Bt plus books. I had to undertake 40 hrs of study to get this rate and even then they were reluctant and said that the discount rate usually only applies to students who study a minimum of 3 months. I may well study for 3 months but I wouldn't commit to that at any language school until I was sure of the quality and that the teaching method suited my my needs.

I've been taking the Thai Kindergarten class which is basically learning to read and write the alphabet and the basic rules of tone pronunciation from the written word. I'm quite happy with my teacher although sometimes I wish she was a little more assertive. We've covered this module which is normally 20 hrs in groups classes in 10 hrs so I'm happy to be receiving the benefits of individual tuition. Next week we start module 4 reading and writing which I'm sure will be much more challenging.

My overall impressions is that the classes are well developed with good structure and adequate course materials. In both locations the facilities are good and the staff that I met very friendly.