Garment Manufacture

The wife has a plan setting up a garment manufacturing in her home town.

The village around Udon Thani is mainly her extended family, about 100 and still going up. Several of her family work in Bangkok garment industry.

Is anyone doing any thing similar? How much money do I stand to lose?

Do not mean to sound negative but when it comes to money in Thailand glass half full seems to apply.

The village around Udon Thani is mainly her extended family, about 100 and still going up. Several of her family work in Bangkok garment industry.

Do not mean to sound negative but when it comes to money in Thailand glass half full seems to apply.

You're too late now for bargain sewing machines. A friend of mine had a little factory with 40 commercial sewing machines. He sold them one at a time for what he could get, which wasn't much. His orders dried up when he couldn't compete with the Chinese. The garment business is better now than it was. There are now two huge brand new factories near Chaiyaphum.

1. Setting up garment manufacturing is one thing....selling is another

2. prepare to lose all invested money.

3. garments/fashion is one of the most difficult 'commodities' and MANY things can go wrong; more than you can even think of.

Wish you luck..but if you would ask ME.....you really would have to convince me because of many points:

a. the type/style of garments involved

b. if your wife is trying to produce cheap items better stop NOW because you will lose always versus cheaper and better producers in LOS and or Vietnam/China/Indonesia and the like

c. selling: who's doing that; who are the buyers; are they solid and guarantee production ? what about payments of invoices ? (your BIGGEST problem !)

d. who's guaranteeing the salaries or production per style/payments for the family-workers ?

FASHION GARMENTS = BIG HEADACHE.

My idea ? find something more simple.

LaoPo