International Transfers

Hello all,

I have just done my first (definately not the last) money transfer using Western Union online. I sent 159 pounds for the cost of 21 pounds (total cost of 180 pounds). This transfer took just 10 minutes for the recipient to collect using the "money tranfer number" that was given by the customer services, the senders name, recipients name and proof of ID. What i want to know, and i am sure there are many other people out there who want to know, what is the most cost effective/time efficient/convenient way to send money abroad? All replys welcome.

Regards

Edited by Steps

About two years ago, I set up a Thai bank in my own name. It was very easy and it was actually quite an experience (I made friends with the bank manager). I also have an online investment account (in my name) which allows me to complete international wire transfers. Whenever I am coming over for holiday, I will wire myself some money to my Thai bank and it's available for me when I get there. In addition, my lady keeps the ATM card and knows the PIN. If she needs money, I can complete the wire and it's available for her generally within one week (but sometimes two days!!) Regardless of the wire transfer amount, It costs me $25USD. Obviously, I base the wire amount on when I am coming and what I have budgeted for her financial responsibilities. :o

I don't know what the current rules are regarding a farang setting up a bank account. I guess things have changed in this regard since I opened up my account...

The cost of ur wire is 13% on the amt transfer..

Transfering thru Western Union doesnt come cheap, but it is very reliable

Agree, very reliable but expensive. You dont get a very good exchange rate either. Where are you sending from and how often are you going to do it?

I have just done my first (definately not the last) money transfer using Western Union online. I sent 159 pounds for the cost of 21 pounds (total cost of 180 pounds). This transfer took just 10 minutes for the recipient to collect using the "money tranfer number" that was given by the customer services, the senders name, recipients name and proof of ID. What i want to know, and i am sure there are many other people out there who want to know, what is the most cost effective/time efficient/convenient way to send money abroad? All replys welcome.

sorry mate. i can't help it. but transferring 159 pounds at the cost of 21 pounds indicates that you are either a complete ignorant weirdo or belong to the category of Waleed bin-Talal al-Saud who spends millions for whims. do you also have (like him) a diamond studded mercedes?

:o

................. the category of Waleed bin-Talal al-Saud who spends millions for whims.....

...and the poor :D

post-13995-1222292756_thumb.jpg Petitioners After dinner, the guests lined up in order to ask the Prince for money and favors.

Interesting link:

Ramadan with Prince Alwaleed bin-Talal

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29...1770613,00.html 14 photos

note: Naam, don't look for me...I'm not in the line; I didn't have the proper dress.. :o

LaoPo

Hello all,

Regards

Steps - you may need to clarify the purpose and likely volumes of your transfers i.e. doing one transfer a week will cost you 68,000 Baht over the course of a year - hardly economic sense. Even monthly costs almost 16,000 baht. For a "one-off" urgent payment, it may be worth paying over 13% of the core value.

I assume (dangerous) that you are paying from the UK. The last time I paid £180 it was via an ATM withdrawal on a Nationwide card that cost..... 'zero' and I got one of the best exchange rates around.

According to Bangkok bank yesterday, Swift charges 0.025% with a minimum fee of 200 baht--maximum fee 500 baht.

For a SWIFT transfer out (no relevance to OP) or cost of handing inward payment ?

That's the incoming fee, which is so small you don't even notice it. Outgoing from US ranges from free (rare) to $35 to $50.

TH

Hello all,

Regards

Hi Steps,

Suggest your recipient has their own bank account, You send by SWIFT.

Send as Sterling, it will be automatically converted (at better rate) in Thailand.

Another option is a pre-pay 'credit' card.

DO NOT give anyone an ATM card to your account.

For your own use, get a Nationwide account.

Good luck, but remember, Don't spend more than your can afford to say goodbye to.

<deleted> ! - too sweeping a statement. This is the real world and you should be mindful of the practical requirements of any given situation. This is not a financial services regulation quiz, it is about 'what is the best way to do something'

You can give an ATM to someone you choose to give it to, IF:-

(a) You either trust them or are prepared to say goodbye to it.

(:o YOU retain control of the cash flows.

In my case my partner has an ATM card on MY Nationwide Number 2 account. I fund the account by either cash payments in or, more usually, immediate internet transfer.

An excellent system used by many, many Falang boyfriends.

My record for the time taken to 'transfer' was 2 minutes. I received a call requesting funds for some furniture we were buying, I transferred from 1 a/c to 2 a/c online and she went straight to the ATM to withdraw the money - 2 minutes, marvellous.

Note:- Steps seem sto have disappeared so this information may be largely wasted.

Edited by Chaimai

Hello all,

Regards

Hi Steps,

Suggest your recipient has their own bank account, You send by SWIFT.

Send as Sterling, it will be automatically converted (at better rate) in Thailand.

Another option is a pre-pay 'credit' card.

For your own use, get a Nationwide account.

Good luck, but remember, Don't spend more than your can afford to say goodbye to.

says WHO? latest development is that it is more favourable to buy Baht offshore and transfer them to Thailand. that is the case since weeks with my bank. i posted this fact here in TV but who is listening to a Klingon who has no freaking idea of earthly financial matters? :o

says WHO? latest development is that it is more favourable to buy Baht offshore and transfer them to Thailand. that is the case since weeks with my bank. i posted this fact here in TV but who is listening to a Klingon who has no freaking idea of earthly financial matters? :o

Naam, I am always prepared to listen to a Klingon BUT I regret to say that I did not believe you (thinking that it was perhaps idiosyncratic of the American banking system). However, on checking with HSBC today they indicated GBP/THB 62.26 - this is versus a Nationwide withdrawal yesterday at 62.50. Historically, there had been 3 or more Baht difference.

This is indeed a new development and I had consistently been extolling the virtues of Nationwide and also making the same recommendation, as above, to remit Sterling if sending by SWIFT.

Edited by Chaimai

According to Bangkok bank yesterday, Swift charges 0.025% with a minimum fee of 200 baht--maximum fee 500 baht.

For a SWIFT transfer out (no relevance to OP) or cost of handing inward payment ?

That's the incoming fee, which is so small you don't even notice it. Outgoing from US ranges from free (rare) to $35 to $50.

TH

first the good news: Citibank recently charged a flat us$30 per transaction for SWIFT transfers - regardless of $ amount.

then the bad news: Citibank sold my bank account to another bank recently - without any notice given to me before, during or after the sale. Apparently, all Citibank branches in northern California went belly up - so they had to offload them in a NY minute.

I didn't lose any money, but am stymied in setting up a relationship with the new bank that's been foisted upon me. Plus, I don't have ATM, checking account that works, and can't transfer funds. Am having to visit California in order to try to straighten this out (and other reasons).

Naam, I am always prepared to listen to a Klingon BUT I regret to say that I did not believe you (thinking that it was perhaps idiosyncratic of the American banking system). However, on checking with HSBC today they indicated GBP/THB 62.26 - this is versus a Nationwide withdrawal yesterday at 62.50. Historically, there had been 3 or more Baht difference.

This is indeed a new development and I had consistently been extolling the virtues of Nationwide and also making the same recommendation, as above, to remit Sterling if sending by SWIFT.

i am used to the fact that nobody believes a crude and uneducated Klingon until he's proven right :D but i would like to emphasize that (even when living in the U.S.) i never used the american banking system for anything else than day-to-day business. the banks where i have my holdings are in Singapore and Luxembourg. both big names and both big losers recently :D in one bank the currency traders did not even know that the onshore/offshore rate was more or less abolished since months and one was trying to lecture me about it until i got angry and insisted "look it up, give me a f@cking rate and wait for my instructions!"

after obtaining the rates from both Lux and Sin i opened on september 11 a new topic:

Onshore/offshore Rate

i am planning to transfer a substantial amount to Thailand within the next few weeks and checked the rates with my offshore bank as well as Siam Commercial today. surprise! transferring THB from offshore is [in my case] now a better option than transferring foreign currency.

nobody commented but big discussions were still going on concerning a freaking 30 Baht per transaction ATM fee :D

p.s. the difference in rates which i am checking nowadays twice a week varied between 28 and 34 Satang for one US-Dollar (in my favour) in the last two weeks. time difference between the quote from Siam Commercial to the offshore quote does not exceed 10 minutes.

i am used to the fact that nobody believes a crude and uneducated Klingon until he's proven right :D but i would like to emphasize that (even when living in the U.S.) i never used the american banking system for anything else than day-to-day business. the banks where i have my holdings are in Singapore and Luxembourg. both big names and both big losers recently :D in one bank the currency traders did not even know that the onshore/offshore rate was more or less abolished since months and one was trying to lecture me about it until i got angry and insisted "look it up, give me a f@cking rate and wait for my instructions!"

after obtaining the rates from both Lux and Sin i opened on september 11 a new topic:

Onshore/offshore Rate

i am planning to transfer a substantial amount to Thailand within the next few weeks and checked the rates with my offshore bank as well as Siam Commercial today. surprise! transferring THB from offshore is [in my case] now a better option than transferring foreign currency.

nobody commented but big discussions were still going on concerning a freaking 30 Baht per transaction ATM fee :D

p.s. the difference in rates which i am checking nowadays twice a week varied between 28 and 34 Satang for one US-Dollar (in my favour) in the last two weeks. time difference between the quote from Siam Commercial to the offshore quote does not exceed 10 minutes.

There is an expression. It takes balls, or it takes balls to do that - the US president appointing all he did - I doubt that any US (male) citizen have now have balls, they were castrated long ago. Even the Egyptians buried a man whole - they carried their testicles in a jar.

Edited by pkrv

i am used to the fact that nobody believes a crude and uneducated Klingon until he's proven right :D but i would like to emphasize that (even when living in the U.S.) i never used the american banking system for anything else than day-to-day business. the banks where i have my holdings are in Singapore and Luxembourg. both big names and both big losers recently :o in one bank the currency traders did not even know that the onshore/offshore rate was more or less abolished since months and one was trying to lecture me about it until i got angry and insisted "look it up, give me a f@cking rate and wait for my instructions!"

Onshore/offshore Rate

:D laughing about the BOLD sentence, above.... :D

Your "Onshore/Offshore" topic; it's here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Onshore-offs...te-t211939.html

LaoPo