Second Hand Fortuner

Richb2004v2

I am looking to buy a Fortuner in a few months time. I like to do a bit of research before buying anything like this, and figure this is a good place to start. I probably won't be buying until the end of the year and will be going for a second hand Fortuner of maybe 2 or 3 years old. What model should I be going for and what should I expect? I figure they are going for around 800,000. I think that there has been a recent upgrade and wonder how that will effect the second hand prices. Also, are there any good web site to look at? What about alternative recommendations?

I've never owned a Fortuner, but my father in-law has a 2007 Navi and I've driven it occasionally enough to be familiar with it. My only prior experience of an SUV was a 2.5l Jeep Cherokee I used to own, mind you, but I think I know enough to help.

IMHO you should be looking (if at all) for a 3.0V Fortuner Navi - 2005 - between 900k - 1.1MB depending on condition. I'm presuming that you will drive rurally? at the very least, avoid any 2WD Fortuners and stick with Diesel (goes without saying really).

Personally, I consider the Fortuner to be a 'show-offs' kind of car - lots of shiny plastic and metal; they don't age well. I believe they have the same chassis as the Hilux pick-up tuck.

What to expect? Mechanically, a 2005 Fortuner will (I guess) be approaching the 60-80km mark - expect a host of repairs, new timing belt, engine mounts, rubber hoses, and tires (100km warranty will still cover some things). My in-laws' Fortuner has had issues with the transmission and radiator but has been generally reliable.

What to expect? the cost to repair and maintain a Fortuner is reasonable only when compared with another SUV from the likes of Lexus, Benz, Porsche.

Buying second-hand will result in a worse finance deal - the interest will be higher. Consider buying new.

Alternative recommendations? Unless being seen to be rich is desperately important, consider the 3litre Hilux Vigo pickup - around 800k new - the four-door cab lacks the two rear seats of the Fortuner but you gain the practical rear carry area. As before, the same chassis I think.

Good luck in choosing a car, I hope my experiences have been helpful.

I've never owned a Fortuner, but my father in-law has a 2007 Navi and I've driven it occasionally enough to be familiar with it. My only prior experience of an SUV was a 2.5l Jeep Cherokee I used to own, mind you, but I think I know enough to help.

IMHO you should be looking (if at all) for a 3.0V Fortuner Navi - 2005 - between 900k - 1.1MB depending on condition. I'm presuming that you will drive rurally? at the very least, avoid any 2WD Fortuners and stick with Diesel (goes without saying really).

Personally, I consider the Fortuner to be a 'show-offs' kind of car - lots of shiny plastic and metal; they don't age well. I believe they have the same chassis as the Hilux pick-up tuck.

What to expect? Mechanically, a 2005 Fortuner will (I guess) be approaching the 60-80km mark - expect a host of repairs, new timing belt, engine mounts, rubber hoses, and tires (100km warranty will still cover some things). My in-laws' Fortuner has had issues with the transmission and radiator but has been generally reliable.

What to expect? the cost to repair and maintain a Fortuner is reasonable only when compared with another SUV from the likes of Lexus, Benz, Porsche.

Buying second-hand will result in a worse finance deal - the interest will be higher. Consider buying new.

Alternative recommendations? Unless being seen to be rich is desperately important, consider the 3litre Hilux Vigo pickup - around 800k new - the four-door cab lacks the two rear seats of the Fortuner but you gain the practical rear carry area. As before, the same chassis I think.

until i read this post i was totally happy with my 2.7 petrol fortuner ,now after your post i want to sell it :o

Hi Rich B !

Fortuner is a great car. I've bought 2 years ago a 3D4D auto. Very big, very speed, very economic (9.4l /100lm), and smart ! I can carry big plants for my garden or travel with 6 passagers and luggage.

But it's a 4WD and as so, not comfortable.

However, I could not change it for a limousine (I've wanted to buy a Camry for a while), very comfortable, because high seat means great, pleasant and secure view on the road. You taste, you're addicted !

I'll wait the end of the 3 years guaranty and buy special coil spring.

I have an early 2.7 Fortuner now 3.5 years old and 85,000 kms on the clock still on original tyres and disc pads and brake shoes. Gives 10.4 kms/litre on Gasohol 91.

Only two problems from new; one a condensate leak in passenger footwell at 30k (blocked AC condensate drain - leaves) and a dead battery at 65k.

Second hand, whether diesel or benzine I suggest that you look at buying a warranted pre-owned car from a Toyota agent so that you have some chance of correcting any faults that are hidden when you buy.

Hi Rich B !

Fortuner is a great car. I've bought 2 years ago a 3D4D auto. Very big, very speed, very economic (9.4l /100lm), and smart ! I can carry big plants for my garden or travel with 6 passagers and luggage.

But it's a 4WD and as so, not comfortable.

However, I could not change it for a limousine (I've wanted to buy a Camry for a while), very comfortable, because high seat means great, pleasant and secure view on the road. You taste, you're addicted !

I'll wait the end of the 3 years guaranty and buy special coil spring.

Is it permanent 4WD then? How is it not so comfortable?

If I wanted to buy new but not pay cash all in one go what kind of deals are there and what are the interest rates. I was thinking of paying over a year or six months.

4*4 need a greater deposit, perhaps 40% or more. You should be able to get finance with a guarantor with a decent deposit.

If you have a WP and necessary paperwork then no problem. Higher deposit without. I would buy new if you can afford and justify it. Secondhand values way too high for me here to go that route.

Brilliant for a bloke who's never owned one. OP should really take notice of this post, I don't think! What is the point of posting if you are going to talk through your arse?

Now, I do have one, so I actually know something. Mine is almost two years old. Summary; no problems at all, everything works, nothing has broken, regularly serviced at laughably low cost (figure 2000 baht), easy to drive and, no, it is NOT the same as a HiLux, which has leaf spring rear suspension and drives like the truck it is, whereas the Fortuner drives more like a car. The "new" Fortuner has some changes but in my biased opinion they won't make much difference to the resale value of the old model because they essentially look the same, except on the inside. It is not a sedan so don't expect it to drive like one, but it definitely does not drive like a truck. Is it perfect? No, but what is. It's bloody reliable though. I get over 600km out of a dtem tang (full tank) of diesel on a run up north, so it's cheap too. I paid 1.25M for mine and I'd guess its current resale at 1M.

I'm just popping down to my parking space to look for the shiny plastic and metal, which has eluded me. Perhaps I can buy some so I can show off. I'm biased because I have one. Our Aussie friend is biased because he wishes he had one.

Just completed my first three weeks with a new model 3.0 V Fortuna after using a Honda CRV for a month. The CRV was good, but I'm even more impressed with the Fortuna. It is surprisingly quiet inside for a diesel and that combined with the auto box, comfortable seats and good interior space make for a near large-saloon car experience. It feels very solid, doors close with a solid 'thunk' and everything works as it should ..... so far.

It's ride is firm and well controlled, but short sharp bumps will jiggle you around a bit, though no worse than in a sportily sprung German saloon (my last car was a C Class Mercedes and my last SUV before the CRV was a Mahindra Scorpio to give you some idea of my comparisons).

The interior fittings of the CRV looked more stylish and the quality of the interior felt better than the Fortuna, but the extra space in the Fortuna, the two rows of roof mounted a/c vents (in the new model) and the greater luggage space and third row of seats wins it for me.

The Honda also had a noisy back axle that became irritating on longer journeys, but this may have been a problem with my particular car. Another big issue with the Honda was the poor gas mileage .... the diesel Fortuna is much better.

The high ground clearance has been a benefit even before I've got out of Bangkok, as 2 foot deep flash floods are a problem where I live.

So I'd recommend you go for a new model Fortuna and see if Toyota have any good low interest deals. Second hand cars in Thailand look very expensive to me?

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a 3.0V 2006 Fortuner from Toyota Sure. It comes pre-certified with an additional warranty on top of the pre-existing manufacturers warranty.

They really clean the car up before they sell it. 5 new tires. New wiper blades. New mud flaps. New floor mats, any scratches taken out etc. It even has the new car smell!

For anyone interested it had 51k on the clock and they wanted 935k for it but came down to 885k.

I have an early 2.7 Fortuner now 3.5 years old and 85,000 kms on the clock still on original tyres and disc pads and brake shoes. Gives 10.4 kms/litre on Gasohol 91.

Hi PETERTHEEATER,

Can the 2.7 VVT-i take Gasohol?

Whenever I pump mine, she feels rather lumpy....

Is this engine and fuel delivery system built for Gasohol? or purely traditional petrol?

Am always concerned with the rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system. Heard some interesting stories of Gasohol attacks..

My owners manual (I live in Singapore and mine Fortuner is registered in Singapore) did not indicate the use of Gasohol, only the Octane level of more than 91. But I reckon that since it is made in Thailand, it should be Gasohol compatible.

Well, you'll never know.

For your collective wisdom pls.

Cheers,

Reichew

IMHO you should be looking (if at all) for a 3.0V Fortuner Navi - 2005 - between 900k - 1.1MB depending on condition.
Now, I do have one, so I actually know something. Mine is almost two years old.

I paid 1.25M for mine and I'd guess its current resale at 1M.

You two are WAY out on pricing..

Think more like under 8xx for a fast sale.. Add maybe 50 - 100 to buy a cleaned up one from Toyota..

Just bought a 3.0V 2006 Fortuner from Toyota Sure. It comes pre-certified with an additional warranty on top of the pre-existing manufacturers warranty.

They really clean the car up before they sell it. 5 new tires. New wiper blades. New mud flaps. New floor mats, any scratches taken out etc. It even has the new car smell!

For anyone interested it had 51k on the clock and they wanted 935k for it but came down to 885k.

Thats more like reality..

Even here on overpriced Phuket a 06 3l would be 8xx

http://www.phuketgazette.com/classifieds/p...8_ref_89792.asp

• 2 years later...
IMHO you should be looking (if at all) for a 3.0V Fortuner Navi - 2005 - between 900k - 1.1MB depending on condition.
Now, I do have one, so I actually know something. Mine is almost two years old.

I paid 1.25M for mine and I'd guess its current resale at 1M.

You two are WAY out on pricing..

Think more like under 8xx for a fast sale.. Add maybe 50 - 100 to buy a cleaned up one from Toyota..

Thats more like reality..

Even here on overpriced Phuket a 06 3l would be 8xx

http://www.phuketgazette.com/classifieds/p...8_ref_89792.asp

I have recently purchased a 3.0L Diesel Fortuner Navi and previously drove a Mitsubishi Space Wagon from new. I looked around a lot and considered the many available options and happily settled on the Fortuner. I have since purchasing it 2 weks ago added a reversing camera and LCD TV along with some after market bling total cost THB26,000. I have to say that I am enjoying my new purchase immensly. As a previous post mentioned you get jiggled around a little over sharp bumps but it is much quieter than I expected and my kids love it, my 8 year old son actually said it was COOL. It came with GPS,Bluetooth Hands Free, and a facility for adding into the computer the service either ompleted or scheduled and many other useful facilities. It is almost 2 years old and cost 1.17 million from Toyota Sure who provided a very good service and fitted the laminate onto the windows free of charge. I have driven many cars over 40 years and although this is not the best it is certainly at the top of my list of enjoyable driving experiences.

I have recently purchased a 3.0L Diesel Fortuner Navi and previously drove a Mitsubishi Space Wagon from new. I looked around a lot and considered the many available options and happily settled on the Fortuner. I have since purchasing it 2 weks ago added a reversing camera and LCD TV along with some after market bling total cost THB26,000. I have to say that I am enjoying my new purchase immensly. As a previous post mentioned you get jiggled around a little over sharp bumps but it is much quieter than I expected and my kids love it, my 8 year old son actually said it was COOL. It came with GPS,Bluetooth Hands Free, and a facility for adding into the computer the service either ompleted or scheduled and many other useful facilities. It is almost 2 years old and cost 1.17 million from Toyota Sure who provided a very good service and fitted the laminate onto the windows free of charge. I have driven many cars over 40 years and although this is not the best it is certainly at the top of my list of enjoyable driving experiences.

I got my Fortuner Navi in march 2010. I asked Toyota if it was possible to purchase a reverse camera and they said no. What kind of navi do you have. Mine is named B9014.

I have earlier posted a question concerning the navi. When you put in three letters for the city you want it comes up with suggestions I do not need. It is not possible to write anything more so the navi is because of that almost useless for going long distances.

I have asked Toyota about this but no answer so far. How have you experienced yours? Am I alone having this problem or do anyone else see it the way I do.