Connecting To The Electricity Supply

Gerontion

Does anyone have a rough idea how much it costs to connect to electricity supplies in the street (possibly quite far away)? I'm looking at land upcountry and want to get a rough idea how much it will cost to get electricity connected to the plots I'm looking at. The plots I've seen so far are up to a kilometre away from the nearest supply and I'm guessing that it's going to be hideously expensive to run electricity to them but I haven't yet been able to track down any figures. Cheers.

You can obtain a firm price in one or two days from the local office of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA). In our small town the PEA office has a large sign on the wall with the exact prices of five different levels of electrical service. One year ago they gladly gave me a photocopy of the published price list in Thailand for service with the PEA. They also have a web site www.pea.co.th

The prices INCLUDE a REFUNDABLE deposit and complete installation as a general rule from the existing service point to your home. If you do NOT need any extraordinary electric cables or any additional concrete utility poles the price is very reasonable.

On the one year old chart I have it ranges from a TOTAL of 728 baht for 5 amp single phase service, 4621 baht for 15 amp single phase service, 12,383 for 30 amp single phase service and 38,754 for 30 amp Three phase service that did not include a transformer.

In our local PEA office a staff person went the same day to measure the distance we would need poles and wires from the "main road" which had PEA wires TO the point on our property that we desired electricity to enter. The next day they gave us a written price quote and the size of poles, wires, etc. for 30 amp single phase service. This is a REGULATED utility and you can telephone the Bangkok head office which does have staff who understand and speak English to confirm the price quoted.

In my situation we required a 3 phase transformer and 6 large/tall poles. The price quoted due to the equipment and staff time was a larger amount. We then received two bids from large electrical contractors and we saved significant money on the wires, poles, labor and transformer to use a licensed private electrical contractor. This contractor coordinated with the PEA since the PEA staff performed the "cut/switch" at the main road to our cables and poles. I still paid a refundable deposit to the PEA which is determined by the size of your electrical service.

You should also consider the wires and/poles you will need for your "Temporary" electrical service while your home is under construction. You will also pay a hook up fee and REFUNDABLE deposit for this "Temporary" service which is a higher price than your eventual "Permanent" Electrical service. A Farang CAN have PEA service in their own name.

Once you know the price from the PEA for the "distance" you want on ONE possible parcel, you can make an educated guess of electrical hook up fees for other parcels depending on the distance from the existing "hook up" location. Remember the SIZE and if you select SINGLE or THREE phase will determine what size poles, what size cables and PEA fees.

In our case the local office was very helpful and were able to provide published fees which were easy to understand. No matter what size service you desire you have the option to employ a private electrical contractor to run wires and install poles or install your service underground. But you still will pay some published fees and pay a deposit to the PEA. The PEA charges you the same low fee they charge ordinary Thai people. If you have a sensible home and 30 amp single phase service is adequate and safe you will not have a heart attack on obtaining electrical hook up.

If you desire water service from the Municipal utility the same thing applies. They will come out and take a measurement and depending on the size of pipe and size of water meter you select they can give you a written price in advance. You might consider the larger 2" pipe if you have a longer run to the water connection.

post-20604-1222178122_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222178139_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222178207_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222178233_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222178316_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222178341_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222178387_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have a rough idea how much it costs to connect to electricity supplies in the street (possibly quite far away)? I'm looking at land upcountry and want to get a rough idea how much it will cost to get electricity connected to the plots I'm looking at. The plots I've seen so far are up to a kilometre away from the nearest supply and I'm guessing that it's going to be hideously expensive to run electricity to them but I haven't yet been able to track down any figures. Cheers.

If the land is a long way from a transformer you could end up with a considerable voltage drop, there are calculators on the web that will help you calculate how many volts you will loose over a given distance. If the drop is too much you may be obliged to install HT and your own transformer and that gets expensive. :o I've bin there and done that as well, but I shall refrain from putting up my pictures of men up HT poles because we all know what they look like don't we?

On the one year old chart I have it ranges from a TOTAL of 728 baht for 5 amp single phase service, 4621 baht for 15 amp single phase service, 12,383 for 30 amp single phase service and 38,754 for 30 amp Three phase service that did not include a transformer.

In our local PEA office a staff person went the same day to measure the distance we would need poles and wires from the "main road" which had PEA wires TO the point on our property that we desired electricity to enter. The next day they gave us a written price quote and the size of poles, wires, etc. for 30 amp single phase service. This is a REGULATED utility and you can telephone the Bangkok head office which does have staff who understand and speak English to confirm the price quoted.

In my situation we required a 3 phase transformer and 6 large/tall poles. The price quoted due to the equipment and staff time was a larger amount. We then received two bids from large electrical contractors and we saved significant money on the wires, poles, labor and transformer to use a licensed private electrical contractor. This contractor coordinated with the PEA since the PEA staff performed the "cut/switch" at the main road to our cables and poles. I still paid a refundable deposit to the PEA which is determined by the size of your electrical service.

Hi Kamalabob2. Good info!

Can you tell us how much it cost you and compared to the PEA quote?

Also, How far is your place from the main supply point.ie how many meters for your line. Must be a fair distance if you have 6 poles.

thanks

jojo

Currently many customers of the provincial Electricity Authority get free or discounted electric monthly service. That is NOT the case if you have Three Phase electric service. No complaints on my end, that discount program was initiated to help lower income Thai citizens. I have been able to take advantage of a temporary reduction in the bill for Municipal Water service.

I was quoted 365,000 baht PLUS meter charge, plus deposit from the PEA for what I paid a large private Contractor 300,000. His bid was 330,000, but he graciously accepted 300,000. Maybe 122 meters from the PEA service pole outside a private driveway gate on a main road to the final pole on our property near a garage. He misspelled the name of the Transformer Manufacturer, it is actually EKARAT and they have a web site in Thai and English at www.ekarat-transformer.com. I also still had to pay a meter fee and deposit to the PEA. Part of that deposit was the "roll over" of our "temporary meter" deposit. BCI is an electrical contractor based in Buriram that I would recommend for Three Phase Installations.

To go the same distance with single phase would have been SIGNIFICANTLY less money to both the PEA and any contractor.

Our electric bill last month was 2777.33 about 92.4 baht a day. 8 a/c units and far too many appliances.

Electric_Installation_Bids299.pdf

Electric_Bill_August_2008301.pdf

I was quoted 365,000 baht PLUS meter charge, plus deposit from the PEA for what I paid a large private Contractor 300,000. His bid was 330,000, but he graciously accepted 300,000. Maybe 122 meters from the PEA service pole outside a private driveway gate on a main road to the final pole on our property near a garage.

To go the same distance with single phase would have been SIGNIFICANTLY less money to both the PEA and any contractor.

Our electric bill last month was 2777.33 about 92.4 baht a day. 8 a/c units and far too many appliances.

Hi Kamalabob2 and thanks for the info.

Sounds like you are using a fair load.

I may have to consider 3 phase, similar kind of distance but should be possible on existing poles. Have to find out options and costs yet.

Do you know roughly how much the transformer cost within the amount?

jojo

The provincial Electricity Authority set clear minimum sizes of the Concrete Pole. My next door neighbor in 2006 installed several 2000 baht concrete poles for his single phase 30 amp upgraded electrical service. Appropriate sized poles installed by a local electrical contractor. My neighbor is sensible in his electrical usage. He kindly offered to allow us to add our electrical service wires to his existing poles.

However this size pole was unacceptable to the PEA for any 3 phase wire run, and after viewing the weight of the cables and hardware on each of the new expensive poles we had to install I understand their position. My neighbor had his wife work out an arrangement with BCI to install his single phase wires onto our poles and to excavate his recently purchased poles. I think those shorter poles are now safety islands in the nearby Mun "Moon" River for the early November Satuk Boat Races. I've attached a drawing that was just one of many pages in the information that was mandated for submission to the PEA, prior to any installation.

In a photo attached you can see single phase wires mounted BELOW the set of 3 phase wires. I think that 3 phase wires must be mounted to a specific minimum height and the poles must be a specific minimum size. Telephone cables are mounted even lower, but no "hit your head wires" such as we all experience near hotels in Bangkok.

I've also attached a recent photo of the electrical wires across the road from where my service is connected to the PEA poles.

As much as I hated to spend 300,000 baht for darn wires, poles and a transformer, I could only imagine the cost if you built a home on property that was not near a road that had 3 phase PEA service going down that road. Not every busy street has 3 phase wires. The 3 phase wires near our "driveway gate" were installed the year before due to a new Government City Hall building a few bocks down the road.

I had a quote from the Korat sales representative of EKARAT Tranformers for nearly 100,000 baht. BCI electrical contractor offered us a choice of less expensive 50 KVA transformers from two different manufacturers. Both the PEA and the contractor BCI recommended this particular model transformer. The PEA did not break out specific items in their bid.

post-20604-1222436660_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222436711_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1222436762_thumb.jpg

The provincial Electricity Authority set clear minimum sizes of the Concrete Pole.

In a photo attached you can see single phase wires mounted BELOW the set of 3 phase wires. I think that 3 phase wires must be mounted to a specific minimum height and the poles must be a specific minimum size. Telephone cables are mounted even lower, but no "hit your head wires" such as we all experience near hotels in Bangkok.

Obvious now the height and size of pole is important.

You got me thinking much clearer about this.

Thanks

jojo

The large tall poles the PEA required for 3 phase electric lines measure 22 cm by 25cm. The one "normal" pole in the photo that certainly could handle at least 2 sets of service wires for single phase measure 17 cm by 17 cm. If you could safely handle the electric load in your new home with the larger single phase meter you could save significant money on the installation, especially on a long wire run.

post-20604-1222674446_thumb.jpg

Perhaps any one considering new electrical service or an "upgrade" could walk into a PEA office and inquire about a 3 phase Transformer and the fee to hook up to a PEA transformer DEPENDING on where the electric meter is located and where the actual home is located in relationship to the PEA transformers that you see mounted on a pole on the public streets. If a transformer was on the road right in front of or very near your home it might be one situation, but the original poster explained their home site was some distance from the electric supply.

If you need a 3 phase transformer in Thailand, YOU pay for the transformer IF your hookup is farther than a specific distance plus there are mandatory fees for wires and poles if over a specified distance. This was made VERY clear to me in several trips to the PEA office. You can also PHONE Bangkok to have the headquarters of the PEA tell you exact current prices.

If you look at previous threads on Thai Visa Forum you can see other much higher prices that people have had to pay for electrical hook up and/or transformers. I know a Farang in a nearby village that paid the same PEA office over 250,000 baht for 3 phase service and he had a much shorter wire run than our property. He got exactly ONE large concrete pole and wires were run underground in PVC conduit he paid previously for to his general contractor. This was AFTER he had to pay to remove 25,000 baht in the wrong size wires he originally paid his building contractor to run. He did NOT see the PEA prior to installing his first set of cables. He received 3000 baht from a scrap dealer for the unused electric cables.

My main point is for any potential customer of the PEA or MEA to go in person to the office and have them write down specific prices after they do a "site visit". This service is free and it can help you decide months in advance what size electric service you might select for your new home. They will write down what size wires and poles are minimum for specific sizes of electrical service.

Kamalabob2

Thanks for the size. I will be returning to province at end of week and will be measuring the existing poles.

My biggest problem will be the wire sizes on the existing single phase line. it is about 110m and feeds 3 small load farm houses (no aircons or water heaters) say 3 KW to 9 KW max load mainly refridgerators and fans ie probably a background load of say 15 amps up to max 45 amps.

If i add 100A then I will probably incur too much voltage drop. Even if i put large cable from the existing to the new house, it wont help with the 110m existing if the cable is not large enough.

If i had to upgrade the cable size on the existing line it would need to be at least 70 sqmm x 2 wires.

I would effectively then have to pay 70sqmm for about 170m x 2 wires.

Cable alone costs about 85,000 Baht.

If i get 3 phase installed I need to use 35sqmm cable for 4 wires which is going to cost about the same.

If the existing 2 wires are already 35sqmm it may be possible to use them as part of the upgrade to 3 phase provided the 3 farm houses can then be connected from one phase each of the 3 phase. This could halve the new cable cost. However this may not be a good idea from my point of view if I need 30 A at any time on a phase (say for a water heater and an aircon at the same time).

I will get PEA out to look at what is possible. I suspect the existing wires may be too small to consider all the new load on the existing line. If so I really need to go for adding a new 3 phase feed. Putting in 3 phase at the house I discussed with crossy on the thread topic 67644 last page.

If I do so, I hope I will not need a transformer, need to see what PEA say.

Thanks to Dotcom for the thought on the transformer, worth noting.

jojo

My main point is for any potential customer of the PEA or MEA to go in person to the office and have them write down specific prices after they do a "site visit". This service is free and it can help you decide months in advance what size electric service you might select for your new home. They will write down what size wires and poles are minimum for specific sizes of electrical service.

Good, Yes that is the point I note from previous comments.

It is from the help on this forum that I realize the potential problems I could have, and I am now at the point where it is essential to speak to PEA so I can finalize things.

The local electrician I was thinking to use has not been much help so I am looking for somebody else who understands these things better.

Thanks to all who help I trust I will not be in the position of spending perhaps 50,000 Baht and then finding it wasnt adequate.

jojo

Can anyone tell me what the maximum Amperage metered supply (single phase) from one of the two wire systems in the average Moo Bahn is?

I currently have 15Amperes, it is uselesss (we discussed this before Crossy...in another life)

I have a new transformer, 50M from my house, the current one is hundreds of metres away.

I don't want to go and shell out thousands of baht for a meter that cannot supply the current I need.

I am basing my estimates on about 15KW max, should I just bow down to a 30 Ampere Meter, or, try and get a higher rated one?

The problem I have at the moment is, I have a 15/45 Ampere jobby, but cannot get more than about 10 Amperes from it, due to the rest of the village and the lack of power.

What capacity comes from those Oil transformers on a two wire system, cannot see anything to indicate KVA, is it worth spending the cash to get a 30A /60A meter if the PEA cannot deliver? somewhere there must be a contractual obligation???

Can anyone tell me what the maximum Amperage metered supply (single phase) from one of the two wire systems in the average Moo Bahn is?

I currently have 15Amperes, it is uselesss (we discussed this before Crossy...in another life)

I have a new transformer, 50M from my house, the current one is hundreds of metres away.

I don't want to go and shell out thousands of baht for a meter that cannot supply the current I need.

I am basing my estimates on about 15KW max, should I just bow down to a 30 Ampere Meter, or, try and get a higher rated one?

The problem I have at the moment is, I have a 15/45 Ampere jobby, but cannot get more than about 10 Amperes from it, due to the rest of the village and the lack of power.

What capacity comes from those Oil transformers on a two wire system, cannot see anything to indicate KVA, is it worth spending the cash to get a 30A /60A meter if the PEA cannot deliver? somewhere there must be a contractual obligation???

Your 15/45 meter should be good for 45A plus (they are pretty bomb proof) so you SHOULD just be able to move your supply point to the nearer supply without needing a new meter, you could probably re-use the cable too (whether PEA will do that is a different matter).

The pole transformers come in a vast array of sizes so it's not really possible to say how much grunt the new one near you has, if you can post a photo of the transformer we can hazard a guess :o

Does anyone know if their is a price difference between 15 amp and 30 amp meters?

Would the 30 amp meter run slower compared to a 15 amp with the same KW usage?

Currently I use one a/c unit, water heater (never same time) and a small fridge and a couple t.v.s and lights.

I currently pay 1,500 baht per month with the a/c on only 6 hours per day.

I am currently using a 15 amp meter.

Would the bill cost less or the same for a 30 amp meter? Are the electrical rates different for the 15 amp and 30 amp meters?

I was thinking about changing to a 30 amp meter but want to know if its worth the extra 8,000 baht deposit.

I use 35 sqmm cable main and have a 60 amp square D breaker set box.

Does anyone know if their is a price difference between 15 amp and 30 amp meters?

Currently I use one a/c unit, water heater (never same time) and a small fridge and a couple t.v.s and lights.

Would the bill cost less or the same for a 30 amp meter? Are the electrical rates different for the 15 amp and 30 amp meters?

I was thinking about changing to a 30 amp meter but want to know if its worth the extra 8,000 baht deposit.

Nope, both meters measure the amount of energy used so there will be no difference in the kWh reading. The smallest (5/15) meter does have a lower tariff if you use a very small amount of power (but you're well over the limit for getting the cheap power), other than that (unless you get 3-phase) the unit rate is the same on all tariffs.

Your 35mm2 cable will be fine for up to the maximum single-phase meter available (IIRC 30/100).

1500 a month seems a bit high for your useage. Are you paying MEA/PEA direct, or is there a landlord in the loop somewhere?

Edited by Crossy

Nope, both meters measure the amount of energy used so there will be no difference in the kWh reading. The smallest (5/15) meter does have a lower tariff if you use a very small amount of power (but you're well over the limit for getting the cheap power), other than that (unless you get 3-phase) the unit rate is the same on all tariffs.

Your 35mm2 cable will be fine for up to the maximum single-phase meter available (IIRC 30/100).

1500 a month seems a bit high for your useage. Are you paying MEA/PEA direct, or is there a landlord in the loop somewhere?

Does it seem high? I pay directly.

I turn on my a/c for like 6 hours per day 12,000 btu.

I have a 6,000 watt water heater. But at the most 20-30min per day.

small fridge

microwave

rice cooker

tvs one is a 42" plasma.

washing machine (U.S.) whirlpool type

I also use photosensors for about 5 18watt fluoroscent ballast lights at night.

I think my 150watt water pump is eating a lot.

Other than that I do not know where the electricity is going. I never had a bill lower than 1,000 baht. My first bill was like 3,300 when I left 2 a/c's on 24 hrs.

My second bill was like 2,200 after I decided 24 a/c was a waste.

The next bill was 1,800 when I changed the water pump to only pump the second floor.

Now its 1,500 when I added the photosensors. I average about 400KW units per month.

The mains go directly into a breaker box in the middle of the house.

All lights and switches are 1.5 mm, All outlets are 2.5mm. The a/c and water heaters are 4mm while the kitchen outlet is also 4mm. All wire connect directly to the breaker box.

I did make a mistake in that I should have separated the breaker boxes for each floor which I did not. In the future I plan to run 10mm mains from the 1st box to a second box on the 2nd floor and connect all 2nd floor wiring up there.

So it won't be worth it to change to a 30/60 amp meter? I think i have to because I plan to add another a/c in the living room one day. Would it be better to ask for a 3 phase system?

Would the MEA allow me to have a 3 phase system? Do they have a 30/60 amp 3 phase meter?

Do you think a 3 phase system will lower my bill or raise it?

However I would have to spend another 10,000 baht for another 2 x 50M 35 sqmm wires and a new breaker box and somehow find a way to balance the 3 phases in my house.

Edited by mdechgan

Some quick sums:-

I turn on my a/c for like 6 hours per day 12,000 btu.................about 1000W = 6 units per day = 180 per month (if it's cooling flat out whilst on)

I have a 6,000 watt water heater. But at the most 20-30min per day.............. = 3 units per day = 90 per month

small fridge ...................................................about 150W @ 20% duty cycle = .6 units a day = 20 per month

Total for the big users 290 units, maybe 400 isn't too far out of kilter, there's a link somewhere to the MEA pricing, I'll see if I can find it.

==============

I wouldn't separate with an upstairs breaker box, best to keep them all in one place, keep a torch there too :o

Peak load would be about 9000W (2*18000BTU air (1000w each) + 6000W water + assorted other stuff 1000W) = 40A. A 15/45 supply will be fine, should be ok even with an additonal aircon (all the big loads are unlikely to be active together). It will likely be fused at 63A, the meter will happily take the overload even if you peak at 60A.

No need for 3-phase, your bill will be bigger on 3-phase because of increased standing charges.

I think 400 units at 3 baht per unit average price is about right.

It only supposed to be 1,200 but you have to add the Ft, serive charge and VAT taxes and other service fees. It come out to be around 4 baht per unit.

a 12,000 btu a/c draws about 7 amps or about 4.62 - 5 (realistically) baht per hour.

Televisions screens like the big lcd and plasmas are atleast 1 - 2 baht per hour atleast a couple hundred baht per month.

fridges are about the same. atleast 1 - 2 baht per hour but they are plugged in all the time.

Computers are the same 1 - baht per hour for the faster pentiums with 17" screens like 240 watts total.

I couldn't save anymore. a/c units are the big killers. Other than that have to watch less t.v., take colder showers with no water pressure (don't use pump), and don't use the computer that often.

I could try to save lights but how can you save with 18 watt bulbs? 1 hour of a/c is equivalent to 85 18 watt lights. I think washing machines and refrigerators are second most power killers.

I have been running a simple spreadsheet to track my electric use and cost for over 2 years. The average monthly cost has never exceeded 3.58 baht per unit and is never less than 3.27 baht per unit. This figure is based on the total at the bottom of the invoice which includes the fuel surcharges and any taxes.

I read my meter almost daily around 9 in the morning. If I miss a day or three than I just average the use over those days.

I live in a normal house, 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 AC 13,000 btu run on average 9 hours a night in bedroom, 1 hot water heater 4500 watts used for at least 4 showers a day, 2 fans that run almost non stop but at least 14 hours a days, 180 watt water pump used on/off at regular times, 1 30 inch TV on at least 15 hours a day, one notebook and accessories on all day, normal fridge/freezer and second small old fridge, the usual lights on at night for at least 6 hours.

My use tracks at about 11 to 15 units per day. The higher number is related directly to the AC use and how hot and humid that day was. I set the AC to cool to 26. On a "normal" night with the room at 30 and the AC started it will take about 1 hour to bring down to the set temp. From that point the compressor cycles about every 15 minutes or so depending on the outside air temp and humidity.

My average invoices range from:

1200 baht to 1700 baht per month. Most of this depends on the AC use and how hot the days/nights are. On a few occasions my bill was as low as 850 bt and as high as 2100 bt

I hope this added info will help some of you about your electric use.

If you live like Naam in his cool, comfort and style then I'm thinking you may need a bigger bank account. But he does live well.

I have been running a simple spreadsheet to track my electric use and cost for over 2 years. The average monthly cost has never exceeded 3.58 baht per unit and is never less than 3.27 baht per unit. This figure is based on the total at the bottom of the invoice which includes the fuel surcharges and any taxes.

I read my meter almost daily around 9 in the morning. If I miss a day or three than I just average the use over those days.

I live in a normal house, 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 AC 13,000 btu run on average 9 hours a night in bedroom, 1 hot water heater 4500 watts used for at least 4 showers a day, 2 fans that run almost non stop but at least 14 hours a days, 180 watt water pump used on/off at regular times, 1 30 inch TV on at least 15 hours a day, one notebook and accessories on all day, normal fridge/freezer and second small old fridge, the usual lights on at night for at least 6 hours.

My use tracks at about 11 to 15 units per day. The higher number is related directly to the AC use and how hot and humid that day was. I set the AC to cool to 26. On a "normal" night with the room at 30 and the AC started it will take about 1 hour to bring down to the set temp. From that point the compressor cycles about every 15 minutes or so depending on the outside air temp and humidity.

My average invoices range from:

1200 baht to 1700 baht per month. Most of this depends on the AC use and how hot the days/nights are. On a few occasions my bill was as low as 850 bt and as high as 2100 bt

I hope this added info will help some of you about your electric use.

If you live like Naam in his cool, comfort and style then I'm thinking you may need a bigger bank account. But he does live well.

26? I can't hang more than 23 or 24 celcius max!

I set the AC to cool to 26. On a "normal" night with the room at 30 and the AC started it will take about 1 hour to bring down to the set temp. From that point the compressor cycles about every 15 minutes or so depending on the outside air temp and humidity.

Something wrong here. Depending on the size of the room it should take about 10 minutes.

What size is the room L X W ?

Thanks

I set the AC to cool to 26. On a "normal" night with the room at 30 and the AC started it will take about 1 hour to bring down to the set temp. From that point the compressor cycles about every 15 minutes or so depending on the outside air temp and humidity.

Something wrong here. Depending on the size of the room it should take about 10 minutes.

What size is the room L X W ?

Thanks

It takes an hour from 30 to 26?

I think the room's a/c is severely undersized. Not enough BTU.

Maybe not an hour I was just making the point that the AC will cool the room and then cycle normally so the compressor is not running constantly and potentially using more power than it should

For those aficionados I will time it next time

• 2 weeks later...