Tot - Adsl- Again

Gonzo the Face

I am on the east bank of the river. Is anyone experienceing very lousy service now and over the past couple of weeks, from those who are on TOT ADSL.

For the past couple days service around mid day has cut off and not come on until late evening.

Calling the ADSL # or 1100 in Bkk just results in the usual BS but I still have not seen anyone come out, and the service is just as bad.

If prayer would help, I would pray that someday the ADSL works with at least 60 % of the efficiency of TOT's Billing Department. All would then be great.

Gonzo

ТОТ sucks! We waited them to come to install ADSL for 20 days, and this time was the fastest (before 3 months and 1). We have had problems with connections so many times... they are able to do nothing with it for two weeks even if you go their office every day. Once we had troubles for whole month - every day we had to call them and ask to reload the line (or something like that, I'm not sure), because they constantly shut it down.

They never cut the payment though. Even if you have ADSL 1 week of the month.

Got a Call from TOT's Service man a few minutes ago.

There is plain logic.

There is Thai logic

And there is the twilight Zone.

He asked if my internet was working first, I told him no... Actually TV, this site is the only one that will connect and I have tried about 8 sites.

He then told me that the TOT Server was down

He told me to shut off my modem for 10 minutes , then turn it on and it should be ok

[now the TOT Server is down, but if I shut off for 10 mins, and then turn back on , TOT's Server will be fixed ?????????

To me that is beyond the twilight zone

Gonzo

Got a Call from TOT's Service man a few minutes ago.

There is plain logic.

There is Thai logic

And there is the twilight Zone.

He asked if my internet was working first, I told him no... Actually TV, this site is the only one that will connect and I have tried about 8 sites.

He then told me that the TOT Server was down

He told me to shut off my modem for 10 minutes , then turn it on and it should be ok

[now the TOT Server is down, but if I shut off for 10 mins, and then turn back on , TOT's Server will be fixed ?????????

To me that is beyond the twilight zone

Gonzo

Yeh, you are right about the logic but I would try it anyway. Little downside. Perhaps he expects to fix the server within 10 minutes or what he calls the server is not the server that we think of or resetting your modem is a way around the problem. Just perhaps.

I have ToT north of town about 10 km and it has been ok so I do not think it is a server problem for what I think of as the server. Usually when I get past the phone answer lady to the service man, things get fixed fairly quickly.

Chook dii.

Edited by Bill97

I'm also living on the east side of the river near the train station. Just moved in at the beginning of this month and have had nothing but trouble with TOT ADSL since.

I previously lived in Nonghoy (near the Holiday Inn), was on the goldcyber, 2048/512 speed plan and that went very well. While I didn't get the maximum speed, I did get close enough to it.

Since I moved here I have been doing speedtests every day and I'm getting ridiculous speeds like 37/20. Today is really bad and apart from Thaivisa, I can't access any other websites. Apparently, TOT has different offices to handle ADSL in the different areas. When in Nonghoy that office was on Changklan Road. For my new address, it's apparently the office on Thung Hotel Road.

I have tried calling the ADSL # in CM and TOT 1100 in BKK with little success. The line seems to be that it's to do with the satellite. I'm no techie but I didn't think satellites had much to do with providing ADSL to an individual house.

Another story I was told was that TOT can't provide 2048/512 to my particular neck of the woods. They conveniently forgot to mention this to me when I went to their office on the Thung Hotel Road on 01 Sept to pay the 1,500B fee to transfer my phone connection and ADSL from Nonghoy to here. They are now telling me that it looks like thay can only provide the 512/256 package to me at this address. Ok, I stupidly thought at first, until I tested it and found that they couldn't even manage that!

I'm up the walls with these idiots and their lies and disgraceful customer service. I went to the office again yesterday and I got a "guarantee" that the engineers would be out today and the problem would be fixed within 3 days. While I may not get 2048/512 it should be over the 1000/512 mark. In the interests of fairness, I will hold fire until the inevitable happens. I have told them that I will be cancelling their ADSL service, I will not be paying the bill for this month and I will not be paying the 3,000B charge for cancelling the contract as they cannot live up to its terms.

Having read the earlier posts on this thread, it appears that there are some of you in a similar situation with TOT ADSL east of the river (perhaps even in the same area handled by TOT on Thung Hotel Road). Here's a suggestion. How about we all meet up outside TOT on Thung Hotel Road next Monday or Tuesday with our individual cases and grievances already prepared and as a group we demand to speak to the manager and en masse cancel our subscriptions and insist that we are not paying one penny for doing so. Faced with the prospect of a group of cancellations of what I assume to be higher speed users paying the higher monthly charges this manager may be forced to act otherwise he/she will be deemed responsible for losing a not so insignificant amount of revenue. Perhaps then TOT will provide us with the service that we expect and that we are paying good money for. If not, we can then all go to CAT or TT&T.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Let me know what you think.

Hill16

Two days ago I had TOT upgrade me from the 1mb package to 2mb. I had the 1mb because past experience told me there was little difference but in frustration I thought I would try again.

The lady at TOT surprisingly told me it would be switched the same afternoon. Of course it wasn't. Yesterday I had no connection. After endless busy signals at the call center I talked to 2 technicians at other numbers. I couldn't convince them that the problem was at their end not mine. One even had the audacity to laugh about it when I asked when they could fix it.

I finally got through to the call center and the lady started with same questions about my settings. Suddenly she understood, said just a minute and my modem ADSL connection light came on. As usual someone didn't "flip the switch" or whatever they do at their end.

My international speed has not changed at all. I am still less than 400kps. Bangok speed is up. I think it is just hopeless here with TOT (and everyone else?). I tried to change to T.T.&T. in vain hope it may be better but they do not have any available lines where I am east of the river near Mai Rim. Good luck to all. :o

In 2 years at 2 different addresses (both Pa Tan area - so maybe same TOT exchange/office), I've had 3 problems. The last was when I (like Silverhawk-USA) upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb - for a day I had no ADSL service but then a phone call got someone to throw a switch/plug a cable. Since then, I get about 1-5-1.7Mb download speed most of the time. The engineers have told me that the average is usually half of the notional max speed - fairly common for shared service.

Based on my experience, TOT isn't universally awful - but it certainly seems to be "luck of the draw". Incidentally, I've always had a useful/helpful response from the 1100 call centre - maybe just my good luck again.

Edited by Steve2UK

I'm also living on the east side of the river near the train station. Just moved in at the beginning of this month and have had nothing but trouble with TOT ADSL since.

I previously lived in Nonghoy (near the Holiday Inn), was on the goldcyber, 2048/512 speed plan and that went very well. While I didn't get the maximum speed, I did get close enough to it.

Since I moved here I have been doing speedtests every day and I'm getting ridiculous speeds like 37/20. Today is really bad and apart from Thaivisa, I can't access any other websites. Apparently, TOT has different offices to handle ADSL in the different areas. When in Nonghoy that office was on Changklan Road. For my new address, it's apparently the office on Thung Hotel Road.

I have tried calling the ADSL # in CM and TOT 1100 in BKK with little success. The line seems to be that it's to do with the satellite. I'm no techie but I didn't think satellites had much to do with providing ADSL to an individual house.

Another story I was told was that TOT can't provide 2048/512 to my particular neck of the woods. They conveniently forgot to mention this to me when I went to their office on the Thung Hotel Road on 01 Sept to pay the 1,500B fee to transfer my phone connection and ADSL from Nonghoy to here. They are now telling me that it looks like thay can only provide the 512/256 package to me at this address. Ok, I stupidly thought at first, until I tested it and found that they couldn't even manage that!

I'm up the walls with these idiots and their lies and disgraceful customer service. I went to the office again yesterday and I got a "guarantee" that the engineers would be out today and the problem would be fixed within 3 days. While I may not get 2048/512 it should be over the 1000/512 mark. In the interests of fairness, I will hold fire until the inevitable happens. I have told them that I will be cancelling their ADSL service, I will not be paying the bill for this month and I will not be paying the 3,000B charge for cancelling the contract as they cannot live up to its terms.

Having read the earlier posts on this thread, it appears that there are some of you in a similar situation with TOT ADSL east of the river (perhaps even in the same area handled by TOT on Thung Hotel Road). Here's a suggestion. How about we all meet up outside TOT on Thung Hotel Road next Monday or Tuesday with our individual cases and grievances already prepared and as a group we demand to speak to the manager and en masse cancel our subscriptions and insist that we are not paying one penny for doing so. Faced with the prospect of a group of cancellations of what I assume to be higher speed users paying the higher monthly charges this manager may be forced to act otherwise he/she will be deemed responsible for losing a not so insignificant amount of revenue. Perhaps then TOT will provide us with the service that we expect and that we are paying good money for. If not, we can then all go to CAT or TT&T.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Let me know what you think.

Hill16

"and their lies and disgraceful customer service" What gets me when doing almost any sort of business in the realm is they incessant lies. They just do not understand that for expats (farang expats at any rate) if they just told the truth however unpalatable it might be it is, by far better than being told constant lies.

I do not have any real expectations that things will change any time soon and certainly not in my lifetime. :o

Edited by john b good

I am on the east side of the river, use TOT and over the last few weeks have experienced perhaps three or four occasions when the service was down for five or ten minutes.

Apologies. Turns out I use TOT for the phone line only, and TT&T for net service.

I am on the east bank of the river. Is anyone experienceing very lousy service now and over the past couple of weeks, from those who are on TOT ADSL.

For the past couple days service around mid day has cut off and not come on until late evening.

Calling the ADSL # or 1100 in Bkk just results in the usual BS but I still have not seen anyone come out, and the service is just as bad.

If prayer would help, I would pray that someday the ADSL works with at least 60 % of the efficiency of TOT's Billing Department. All would then be great.

Gonzo

SERVICE SUCKS PERIOD sick and tired of calling them

Sorry guys, it's all my fault I have had 79 torrent downloads going for the last couple of weeks at 130-200 KB per sec. I should be done with them in another week or so and you all can get back to using your internet. :o

Actually, when I left for the US 7 months ago my TOT service here in the luamchock market area on the main road to maejo was terrible. After returning a couple of months ago I am getting a steady 130-200 KBytes with only occasional modem resets needed. BTW if you go to the TOT office and remind them that they currently have a promotion going, they will double your bit rate if you are on the 500 baht service or if you have the highest rate they will reduce your payment from 1,000 to 500 baht. Go to the office near the rail station they provide excellent service for me. Cheers, Ray

Jeeezzz today was a total TOT Disgrace Day

TV which is usually my strongest connection and the one easiest to connect , could not connect until 3PM.

Since about 6:30 this morning, I have been trying and/or calling the 20 + tel numbers given for TOT and ADSL only to hear recorded messages like " this number has not yet been assigned" or the likes. they keep changing and changing the call numbers. One way to avoid getting calls.

Got all the usual BS stories re lights on modem/router, dial tone, then they say network down or server down or the trouble is in Bangkok, etc.

Well as TV is now back on, I'll try my email.

Gonzo

"and their lies and disgraceful customer service" What gets me when doing almost any sort of business in the realm is they incessant lies. They just do not understand that for expats (farang expats at any rate) if they just told the truth however unpalatable it might be it is, by far better than being told constant lies.

I do not have any real expectations that things will change any time soon and certainly not in my lifetime. :o

Don't look at it as lies. Firstly the word 'kohawk' for 'lie' is just a straight translation. Our word has real negative connotations in our societies. Not so the word 'kohawk' in thai society.

Secondly, culturally i believe that thais want to make you pleased, and so work out the best possible answer they think you will want to hear. Whether that happens or not is really of minor consideration, if any.

I always recall with a lot of laughter my mate getting on a bus in bangkok during the worst of the traffic in the 90s. He asked the conductor 'does this bus go to...?' in thai . Of course the conductor just said yes. Couple of hours later my mate started to twig...

It's all about how you phrase the question mate!