Bells Palsy

Ducati

On sat morning I woke up and discovered I was unable to move the right side of my face...cannot close my eye, difficulty moving my mouth/lips (Mrs Ducati was very pleased about that), and my hearing very impaired.

A great doctor at Bumrungrad was quick to diagnose Bells Palsy and differentiate the condition from a stroke or a brain tumour. Bells Palsy affects a nerve that runs from the brain and controls muscles in the face. There is no definitive cause, but typically thought to be a virus or bacterial infection (including common cold virus') that damages the nerve and/or its surrounding passage as it travels from the brain.

Most sufferers seem to recover fully in a few weeks or months.

Anyway...the interesting thing is that although it appears to be rare, my doctor tells me she has diagnosed 4 other cases herself this week in Bangkok. That seems remarkably high for a rare occurance.

Anyone out there had a similar experience?

It happened to me just over two years ago. Went to bed as normal and woke up with one side of the face paralysed. After a couple of hours my face was still 'frozen' so I took myself off to see the doctor. No hestitation with his diagnosis - Bell's Palsy.

My wife's mother said it was becuase I had erected a carport in the drive without first seeking the consent and blessing of the spirit in the spirit house. A big mistake on my part. Anyway, a quickly arranged ceremony to appease the spirit and a couple of weeks later all was back to normal. The hardest part of the illness, apart from spilling your beer, was the sore, dry eye. I got around that by using surgical cellotape to tape the eyelid closed. That helped alot.

I too had it about 7 years ago... it lasted for almost a month. It got better, but the right side of my face still has a little sag to it... something that I only notice, no one else does. Aside from not being able to use a straw, smoking or eating easily, it's not really that bad. I recommend an eye patch though... having that eye open all the time will dry it out and if you see out of it when trying to sleep, it's a pain in the butt. It was more embarrassing than anything... I felt like a freak after a while and just had to wait it out. The diagnosis I got from the US doc was that it was a common ailment, but happened to people on rare occassions, they don't know what causes it, there's no cure other than time, it just happens. Good luck... all I can say is... chew on the left side, practice with the straw, it's less embarrassing than a shirt full of beer and sloppy drool. :o

Sorry to hear, had it a few years back in BKK.

80% recover fully in 4 weeks - the remaining - the outlook is more bleak

get to a good Dr., the first few days and good medication are critical (i think) -

Dr. Uraiwan ( or Urairat - forgot) at bumrungrad rehab section- not a neurologist, knew better than the nero who treated me, and gave the best prognosis ( "dont listen to them, you will recover" - and she was right - 95% -still some residual effects ). Get a nerve test, painful, but can tell you more about the future.

The neurologist at the same hospital was lost, i even had to suggest some options to him that i had read on the net.

Not that rare, 1 in 5000 i think, and you would be suprised how many have had it, or know people who have once u have it yourself.

Edited by skippybangkok

I had Bell's Palsy about 30 years ago.

Treatment seems to have changed a lot since then. I was sent as an out-patient to hospital to have electric shocks applied to my face muscles. The theory was that if the muscles were allowed to remain immobile for a period they could become permanently fixed. The treatment which, at times, became a bit unpleasant went on for about 20 minutes every day for a week or so and after that I was OK again. However, at the hospital I saw several people whose faces were permanently contorted and I was told that I had been fortunate in having had remedial action.

I imagine that prompt treatment still remains important.

Good luck... all I can say is... chew on the left side, practice with the straw, it's less embarrassing than a shirt full of beer and sloppy drool. :o

dont have that anymore, can eat normal again. right Face feels like leather, and eye shuts when i smile........ and some weakness on right side. otherwise "normal".

Worst thing is the name - Bels Palsy - Try saying it when u have it, a sadist must of thought up the name.

Best Wishes.

I had it 26 years ago on the right side of my face whilst I was working in Singapore, I seem to remember the doc gave me a course of steroids and that cured 98% of it in about four to five weeks.

The other 2% I can still notice if I look hard.

I had it 26 years ago on the right side of my face whilst I was working in Singapore, I seem to remember the doc gave me a course of steroids and that cured 98% of it in about four to five weeks.

<deleted>,right side as well. Seems everyone is right sided.

Same, same here.

Can you whistle? That was one of the tests my doctor used and he seemed amused by my unsuccessful efforts!

Same, same here.

Can you whistle? That was one of the tests my doctor used and he seemed amused by my unsuccessful efforts!

That is amazing maybe we have stumbled onto a previously unknown medical fact, or maybe only right faced sufferers of BP go on to read TV, and all the left faced ones go to that other place ssshhh you know where.

• 7 months later...
That is amazing maybe we have stumbled onto a previously unknown medical fact, or maybe only right faced sufferers of BP go on to read TV, and all the left faced ones go to that other place ssshhh you know where.

By joe, you've cracked the puzzle.

HI gUYS I had the Palsy way back in the army,the Doc said it was probably caused by the draught when travelling in a truck.However,Tucked into the Aldershot sick-pit,I was advised to rest and massage my face,When I was shaving I found that the warmth and vibration from my electric razor did the trick!! Cleared up in a week or so and no problems since.(Dont try it with a Gillette!!) :o

One of my best friends had this a few years ago. In ONE DAY he lost his job and had his car die on him. The next day he woke up with his right side paralyzed.

It took about 6 weeks but now he's 99% back on track. You can see that slight 1% here and there though with a SLIGHT sag. I think I only notice it because I've looked at his face for so many years. Nobody else but he and I seem to notice.