What's The Stupidest Thing You've Seen

taxidriver

Well what is it? Maybe it's a huge footy-head in Pat Pong with a love-struck smile with his arm around a lady boy or a back packer arguing over 2 bt on Khao Sarn Rd etc...

You've all been here for a while, so what have you seen that makes you cringe and hang your head in shame or have just had to laugh at?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what is it? Maybe it's a huge footy-head in Pat Pong with a love-struck smile with his arm around a lady boy or a back packer arguing over 2 bt on Khao Sarn Rd etc...

You've all been here for a while, so what have you seen that makes you cringe and hang your head in shame or have just had to laugh at?

Not much anymore...

Sukhumvit "couples", showing (mostly one sided) affection while on the SkyTrain.

A farang taking his bar fine to the Cabbage & Condoms restaurant, or Marriott or LandMark hotel breakfast, believing she is feeling great there.

Or, to sum it up: a fully tatooed overweight farang doing both of the above.

When they aren't expected to know better, but when I still cringe:

- 'wai' everyone they see

- using chopsticks with Thai food.

- Using the fork to put food in the mouth.

- Asking Thais for directions on a map (I have a theory that thai's aren't able to read maps, someone should tell the lonely planet people this fact)

When they should know better:

- Speedo's on the beach.

- Banana pancakes are not Thai food

- Either is a Laksa.

- Trying to tongue kiss a BG on the skytrain.

Pidgin english - agreed. I really hate it when people feel that they have to yell in order to be understood.

PDA anywhere. Ugly. Put it away. Get a room.

Chopsticks - I met a bloke who said he didn't feel like he was eating Thai food unless he did it with chopsticks.

Blokes who buy really big motorbikes and cruise around like they own the place (at the risk of being flamed here, it looks like mid life crisis to me - and many others).

People who go 'tribal' by wearing local clothing. Looks stupid. Would you wear native american or aboriginal gear in the city at home? I doubt it.

Stinginess in any form. Hate it.

Well what is it?

This is some funny stuff ... the replies so far.

I did something pretty stupid the first time I went to meet my fiancee's family. I didn't take off my shoes before stepping into her home. Once I learned thes reason for this custom ... geez ... did I feel like a goof. :o

- Asking Thais for directions on a map (I have a theory that thai's aren't able to read maps, someone should tell the lonely planet people this fact)

- Speedo's on the beach.

- Either is a Laksa.

- Trying to tongue kiss a  BG on the skytrain.

Asking Thais for directions on a map (I have a theory that thai's aren't able to read maps, someone should tell the lonely planet people this fact

:o

I make a point of never asking a thai person for directions :D

I don't go out (to bars and stuff) much, so I've probably missed out on some pretty silly stuff there... but I think the Stupidest thing I've see a farang do is refuse to stand for the kings anthem at the cinema. He sat there with his arms folded while his Thai girlfriend, clearly embarrassed, tried to pull his fat ass outta the chair.

My wife had a cold at the time. I remember this because she threw here snot drenched tissue at him.

Other than that a recent farang boss talks to all Thai's the same way regardless of their level of English. He sounds like he's talking to a bar girl.

Him: "You.... come.... here.....what..... time".

Thai: "I got in at nine, sorry I didn't make it earlier"

Him: "I.... come..... here.... eight.... thirty..... Wait for...... you...... thirty..... minutes."

I'm not sure what the Thai staff made of the guy.

- Speedo's on the beach.

- Either is a Laksa.

- Trying to tongue kiss a  BG on the skytrain.

Agreed on the over waiing, but they also seem to do it Japanese style.

Putting their dirty feet up on the bus or train is another embarressment. I saw some farangs on the tube extending their feet all the way out to the poles in the middle,you should have seen the Thais faces.

Putting their dirty feet up on the bus or train is another embarressment. I saw some farangs on the tube extending their feet all the way out to the poles in the middle,you should have seen the Thais faces.

In Chang Rai one day I was on a bus sitting at a stoplight when another intercity bus pulled up next to us. Some goof of a backpacker had his sock feet up on the seatback in front of him, hanging over the head of a very embarrassed looking old woman seated in front of him. A couple of us on our bus tried to signal him, but he just gave us a big stupid smile and waved. I find backpackers alot stupider than they were even ten years ago.

The girl walking around Thape Gate in bikini bottom and with a t-shirt.

All those guys who couldn't get laid to save their lives back home who, act like they're some kind of mega-stud when they have a paid-for 18yr old on their arm, and then slag these women off later.

Anyone who actually bought a Thailand Elite Card :o

People who think that speaking english louder, slower, and with a thai accent makes them any easier for the locals to understand.

Not embarrassing but perplexing... the ones who think that just because they see others do it, that flip-flops are adaquate protection for your feet when riding a motorcycle. Those footless beggars didn't all step on landmines.

I've seen a guy with a 1200cc bike in CM ride around giving the throttle a twist everytime he pulled up along side another vehicle, always looking to make sure the driver noticed him. It would of been embarrassing had it not been so pathetic.

But geez... if everyone behaved where would smug bas**rds like me get their entertainment? :D

cv

cv

just a quick reply - I saw yet another stupid farang just tonight...

You know the type - get here, rent one of those big bikes, ride way too fast with no helmet or proper footwear etc,

The one I saw tonight had just crashed into the back of a songtaew, and a couple of locals were picking him up off the road - to put him the back of another songtaew to be taken to hospital!

An all too common story, unfortunately.

Big macho farang guys taking picture of the bugs they sell on Khao san Rd. They take thess pics with them looking as if they will eat it. They very seldom do.

Going a little OT, but I think that is one way that the Thai people use to "test" the farang.

About a month after I had met my fiancee', she ordered some food for us and lo and behold, they brought out a big plate of fried grubs and crickets. What else was there to do except dig in?

When I went to meet her family for the first time, I went to a restaurant with one of her brothers and his friend who was driving us around. We ordered some beer and they ordered the food. One of the dishes they brought out was a cold salad with plastic wrap over the top (for a good reason as I soon learned). Needless to say the very spicy salad had little tiny LIVE shrimp in it (the plastic wrap was there to keep the shrimp from hopping out of the bowl. Again, what else was there to do except dig in?

Pretty funny now that I think about it again ... :o

Couple of weeks ago I pulled up to a village gas station on one of my motorcycles that I've had some past trouble getting the thing started (kick start). After fill up, sure enough, the motorcycle was not cooperating, and I was wearing myself out trying to get it started. The "attendant" came up to me, looked at the motorcycle and pointed at the keyswitch that I had forgotten to turn on. Boy did I feel STUPID!

I almost died with embarrasment while sitting eating breakfast in the buffet lounge in the Ambasador. Quetly reading the paper over breakfast it was quite late in the morning and the place was just finishing serving, not many people in so pretty quiet. The farang with his thai girlfriend, not sure if she was a BG siting on the next table raises both hands and claps twice very loudly like he was the Sultan of Brunia or something. I must have looked horrified as all the staff looked at him in disbelief as they all became concerned for my embarrasment. I felt like slapping him one for the attitude.

Most recent stupid move has to be the guy in this weeks Pattaya Mail.

what reason he was so pissed off  for that led him to pistol whip bar staff

and have a go at shooting a motor bike taxi driver,I dont know.

But it must be quite bad.

And he,s a Brit :D

http://www.pattayamail.com/

Looks a bit rough... think he may have had alot of "questioning".

cv

What an excellent topic!

...Blokes who buy really big motorbikes and cruise around like they own the place (at the risk of being flamed here, it looks like mid life crisis to me - and many others).  ....

Agreed - totally hate them!

....I've seen a guy with a 1200cc bike in CM ride around giving the throttle a twist everytime he pulled up along side another vehicle, always looking to make sure the driver noticed him. It would of been embarrassing had it not been so pathetic....

I've been on the receiving end of that in my pick-up. Stupid prats.

Man, you guys are a tough crowd!  :D

Too right! :D:D:D

....stupid farang just tonight...... had just crashed into the back of a songtaew, and a couple of locals were picking him up off the road - to put him the back of another songtaew to be taken to hospital!

Sorry, no sympathy (except for Thais dealing with a bloody mess).

My funniest "incident": drunken farang leaves bar in Kata (Phuket), gets on rented bike that's much too big for him. Starts it and gives it some throttle, lets out the clutch, does a 360 degree spin and falls off! I think only 90% of the bar girls laughed at him. :o:D

Most cringeworty incident: four middle-aged farangs (2 men, 2 women) walking around Thai market nowhere near a beach or resort - and one of the women (rather over-weight) was wearing just a bra and skirt. :D

My most embarrassing moment - getting on my rented bike and trying to start it - couldn't get the key to turn. Then the owner turns up and asks what I'm doing on her bike. My one - same colour, same model - was three bikes away. :D

Most recent stupid move has to be the guy in this weeks Pattaya Mail.

what reason he was so pissed off  for that led him to pistol whip bar staff

and have a go at shooting a motor bike taxi driver,I dont know.

But it must be quite bad.

And he,s a Brit :D

http://www.pattayamail.com/

Looks a bit rough... think he may have had alot of "questioning".

cv

Always nice to seethis picture again :D

n9-591.jpg