Cheapest Way To Call Thailand Found

If your in Australia I suggest using Pennytel which for $5 a month you get 80 free untimed calls to most countries including Thai mobile and then just 8c per call after that with a itemised account each month, Great for use with the embassy to prove calls etc.

Cheers

Aussie_21

Edited by aussie_21

If you make calls to one specific place (girl, wife or friend) and they have a high speed internet connection, send them a device available in the USA called a Magicjack. It is basically a small Voip phone device that plugs into your USB port and then the phone into that. If you set it up as a local number for your home phone system, you and the party at the other end can call unlimited for 20 bucks A YEAR (Magicjack user can call USA and Canada unlimited!). I've been using one as my home phone for 5 months now and it seems to work fine, but with a few glitches (internet connection, I think) from time to time. You must keep your computer running if you want to receive calls etc but I just turn mine off most nights while I sleep and keep my cell by my bed. When I go to Thailand, I will take the small device with me and my friends and family can call me just as if it is a local call. I can also call them or anyone in USA or Canada as a local call...unlimited!

I signed up for 5 years service, including the device and 5 year warranty it came to 100 US Dollars! I've saved enough money the last 5 months to pay for the full cost already.

It does have call forwarding , voice mail etc at no extra charge. In fact, the voice mail is accessible via the phone and it is delivered to your designated email address so you can listen to it through your email even if you don't have phone access.

Very hand device indeed! It works and the price is right!

Magicjack.com.....and I am in no way associated with this company or it's device, just a happy customer.

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

If anyone is spending excedingly large amounts of money calling thailand and has a 3 network phone, you can get an add on called 'international saver'. £15 for 3000 minutes.

Are you talking about the plan offered by the UK’s BT described on this web page?

www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=24711&s_cid=con_FURL_calls_internationalsaver

Plan: International Saver, GBP 1.00 per month

Calls to landlines: 6p/minute

Calls to mobiles: 30p/minute

All inclusive calls to landlines are for up to 1 hour each. Redial before 1 hour to avoid charges. 7p call set-up fee applies.

Monthly charge of £1 (£3 per quarter) applies. Available to residential customers on a BT Calling Plan only. Minimum 1 month term. Terms and conditions apply.

This does not work out at 3,000 minutes for GBP 15.00, does it?

--

Maestro

Admittedly via iCard, and the reception can be variable, but I pay 0.2p per minute from the UK. From my office I have a contract with a maximum 10p for any UK landline calls or, if I use my mobile the call time comes off my contracted free minutes. Spent an hour on the phone today for 12p !

To clarify, its from the UK. You need a three mobile (Hutinson network) on contract, so it will only apply to those who have a three network mobile.

You then pay £15 per month (1 month minium) and you can call thai mobile for 3000 minutes.

International Saver lets you call standard landline & mobile numbers in: Canada, China, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand and the USA.

You can also call from the UK to standard landlines only, in: Australia, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Madeira, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, South Korea and Taiwan.

As far as i'm aware you can also use this service when abroad in the following countries: Austria, Sweden, Italy, Ireland, Denmark, Hong Kong or even Australia but only if you conect to 'hutch 3'

As i said, it works out at 0.5p a minute but is really only of interest to those who have a 3 network mobile, Hope this clears things up. I'm not a 3 employee by the way, just have cut my phone bills from £120 so thought the info might be of use to those whos loved ones havent joined them yet

Admittedly via iCard, and the reception can be variable, but I pay 0.2p per minute from the UK. From my office I have a contract with a maximum 10p for any UK landline calls or, if I use my mobile the call time comes off my contracted free minutes. Spent an hour on the phone today for 12p !

Thanks that will info will come in useful for when my 3000 minutes run out. I only get 1100 minutes per month on my mobile so i will use icard for this. Thanks

Try rebtel.com,

I call HK for only 1p per min,

it converts your international number (landline or mobile) to a local number to you, so if you have free minutes it will cost nothing only the 1p per min to Rebtel, if you have no free mins left on your mobile will cost the cost of a local call,

this is the rate to Hong Kong 1p per minute, not sure what Thailand is,

but the service is reliable, and handy to use from your mobile.

VoipStunt is a free program that uses the latest technology to bring free and high-quality voice communications to people all over the world. When you use the free VoipStunt software, you can call regular phones in various popular destinations for free or call at an incredible low rate to any other phone on the planet.

You can also call all your online friends (peer-to-peer calls) as long as you like, for free. Just click here to download VoipStunt; the download should take only a few moments depending on your connection speed.

www.voipstunt.com

:o

If you are in the US, subscribe to Vonage's unlimited monthly plan for $24.99 for your domestic calls. For an additional $10 per month, you can call Thailand (actually SE Asia) on an unlimited basis as well.

Only if Vonage had the $10 service for unlimited calls to Thailand and not the $24.99 for domestic calls.. I don't make ANY domestic calls... I do manage to keep my monthly calls to Thailand under $20.00.. but it's not easy some times, so it my be worth the plan you suggested.. Thanx...

If you are in the US, subscribe to Vonage's unlimited monthly plan for $24.99 for your domestic calls. For an additional $10 per month, you can call Thailand (actually SE Asia) on an unlimited basis as well.

Only if Vonage had the $10 service for unlimited calls to Thailand and not the $24.99 for domestic calls.. I don't make ANY domestic calls... I do manage to keep my monthly calls to Thailand under $20.00.. but it's not easy some times, so it my be worth the plan you suggested.. Thanx...

voipdiscount and I pay about 20 dollar per half year for almost daily 45-60 minute calls to Thailand mobile (100 free days 300 minutes pr rolling week and then $.014 per minute after that

• 4 weeks later...

- with 3 network you got to pay £30 a month in order to get unlimited calls abroad , and 300 min to the UK mobiles and landlines. It's called mix and match.

- try this one 18185.co.uk . It's 1p a min

- 08444 39 78 78 from your landline to Thai mobile. It's 3p a min.

From Thai lass in London

- with 3 network you got to pay £30 a month in order to get unlimited calls abroad , and 300 min to the UK mobiles and landlines. It's called mix and match.

- try this one 18185.co.uk . It's 1p a min

- 08444 39 78 78 from your landline to Thai mobile. It's 3p a min.

From Thai lass in London

Thats true, I used to use 18185 too, but qualitys not so good, especially at peak times. £15 contract (300 anytime minutes) and £15 unlimited (3000 min) is indeed £30 per month. I just found it good to prove telephone calls as they are listed on the bill, 18185 came on a spread sheet.

Although if you use 18185 from a landline (BT) it cost 1p per minute plus small connection fee, so its better than call cards as you also have an excel record of your calls.

from uk to thai mobile I ring 0844 861 21 21 from my landline then enter the full number 0066.......# it's simple - no computers or software needed, no upfront fees, registration or contract, just 1 p a minute added to your normal landline bill for as long as your call lasts. Quality isn't as good as a Uk landline but certainly usable, works for me and my teerak every day at the moment. Can use the call record on a visa application as long as you include a note of explanation.

As Martian said...Magic Jack is the answer.

But I'll add one thing to it. GET TWO OF THEM. If you buy two of these devices, you can call each other no matter where you are in the world. My wife and I both travel and each has one attached to our computer...calls are free and seamless no matter where we are.

Added bonus is that if from US or Canada, calls to/from are all free no matter where the Magic Jack is located. Just plug a corded phone into the device and you're golden (prefer a cordless phone or I'll hijack the hotel phone when traveling). Caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, etc. are all built in on computer.

One device is around $40 with no continued costs for one year. After that, it's $20 per year.

HTH

In Australia, check out this site people

http://www.phonecardselector.com.au/

You will find call cards very cheap. For example, calls to a Thai mobile, 2 cents a minute!

Cheers!

See my post above if you use PennyTel you can make 80 calls for just $5 a month and 8c per call Untimed thereafter and your also not having to pay 20 or so cents for the local call.

Edited by aussie_21

You will find call cards very cheap. For example, calls to a Thai mobile, 2 cents a minute!

Cheers!

See my post above if you use PennyTel you can make 80 calls for just $5 a month and 8c per call Untimed thereafter and your also not having to pay 20 or so cents for the local call.

Is this like rebtel and you still have to pay your mobile phone company for calling? just not international rate?

from uk to thai mobile I ring 0844 861 21 21 from my landline then enter the full number 0066.......# it's simple - no computers or software needed, no upfront fees, registration or contract, just 1 p a minute added to your normal landline bill for as long as your call lasts. Quality isn't as good as a Uk landline but certainly usable, works for me and my teerak every day at the moment. Can use the call record on a visa application as long as you include a note of explanation.

Yeah, I can second that number, or 0844 861 50 50 (same company, Dialwide) I always use this one when I'm in UK. Occasionally the line is poor, but if that's the case, I just hang up, dial again, and chances are it'll be fine the next time.

Cheers!

Is this like rebtel and you still have to pay your mobile phone company for calling? just not international rate?

Well you'd be stupid to call using your mobile wouldn't you? Use the landline, that way you get charged once for the local call and that's it.

You don't use your mobile to make your calls to Thailand, Have a look at the website link I provided. You connect a small box to your cable or ADSL internet connection and pay just 8c a call and direct dialing 66********* no having to dial 0011 and calling card numbers and you are not paying Telstra etc for the local call.