Bmta Public Buses No Longer Stip In Suvarnabhumi Terminal

AlKing

Backpackers favourite BMTA PUBLIC BUSES will no longer stop in Suvarnabhumi terminal from 1-Oct-2008. At the moment, some buses (like servive 551) do a stop at the airport terminal on the way to /from the Bus Terminal where it terminate / originate.

You can however still catch the public buses from the Suvarnabhumi Bus Terminal. The bus terminal is a couple km away, and is served by FREE AIRPORT SHUTTLE BUS that operate 24 hours.

From the Bus Terminal there are:

1. Buses to various places in Bangkok

Backpacker favorite 551 run to Victory Monument for arround 35 Bahts (frequency reduced after midnight). From here, it is best to share a Taxi / Tuk-Tuk with other backpackers met up on the (551) bus to Khao San Road. Taxi fare from Victory Monument to Khao San should only be around 100 Baht, not advisible to waste your time looking for the connecting bus.

http://www.khaosanroad.com/new_suvarnabhum...ort_bangkok.htm

2. Long distance buses to Pattaya, Rayong, Cambodia border, Lao Border, etc.

Note that apart from Pattaya, the frequency to other destination is limited.

3. Taxi are also available

But why would you want to catch a taxi here? Just catch it at the Suvarnabhumi terminal.

Good luck to all backpackers who travel on the cheap. :o:D:D

Very disappointing that the public buses will no longer stop at the airport. It's been great for the past year, and a step backwards that things are reverting to the way they were before Oct 2007. (Maybe the limo and taxi concessions objected too much to the competition from the public buses?)

Not having taken the shuttle bus for over a year, I was wondering if anyone knew where the shuttle bus stop to the transportation center is located? Are there any curbside on the arrival level?

Thanks.

150 baht will get you a ride on the Airport Express bus. Ground level entrance 8. Have used and very nice plenty of room for luggage and comfortable.

It is run by a private company and leaves about every 15 minutes directly from the terminal.

The shuttle bus stop is on the arrivals floor at about exit 5 and across the first road. However they keep closing various exits so its hard to say where you can exit other than at the taxi rank.

The Airport Express sucks. They may or may not take the expressway. I use the airport weekly and gave up on them. The driver might choose to add twenty-thirty minutes to your trip just to save himself 25 baht by not taking the Rama 9 highway (tollway). He may stop to pick up additional passengers. He may stop to go to the bathroom at a gas station or to meet a friend. It may or may not appear at the airport at the time it is expected. No way does it leave every 15 minutes ever!

The link to the airport information is not updated. Ever.....

Thanks for the shuttle bus info, Ricklev. I totally agree with you about the unprofessional service provided by the Airport Express Bus. I also gave up on them a long time ago -- they never keep to a schedule, the buses are poorly maintained (leaky roofs when it rains, I've even experienced a couple of break downs on the road). The public bus is cheaper and more reliable. It's a pity that they're not allowed to go directly to the airport anymore. Anyone know why?

Thanks for the shuttle bus info, Ricklev. I totally agree with you about the unprofessional service provided by the Airport Express Bus. I also gave up on them a long time ago -- they never keep to a schedule, the buses are poorly maintained (leaky roofs when it rains, I've even experienced a couple of break downs on the road). The public bus is cheaper and more reliable. It's a pity that they're not allowed to go directly to the airport anymore. Anyone know why?

Let me go out on a limb and say, "Perhaps they were being a bit too successful for concerned parties".

The BMTA citybuses were mainly used by airportWORKERS, the here named ''backpacker''set was always just a tiny minority. All those workers yes, before, had to change twice from shuttle to citybus, and going back home too. They are the people most affected. I had to visit Swampy quite often when it just started-late 06 and the busterminal was a very busy hive of activity, with several banks, shops etc. and a giant 7-11. Last year it was down to a trickle-most shops closed and dismantled. The tipical airportworker would not even dream of using taxi's to get to work anyway. Please look at facts and figures how they are-not how they look like in some one-sided vision.

The BMTA citybuses were mainly used by airportWORKERS, the here named ''backpacker''set was always just a tiny minority. All those workers yes, before, had to change twice from shuttle to citybus, and going back home too. They are the people most affected. I had to visit Swampy quite often when it just started-late 06 and the busterminal was a very busy hive of activity, with several banks, shops etc. and a giant 7-11. Last year it was down to a trickle-most shops closed and dismantled. The tipical airportworker would not even dream of using taxi's to get to work anyway. Please look at facts and figures how they are-not how they look like in some one-sided vision.

Agrees, the BMTA 551 that I was so used to are mostly used by airport workers, say 90%. Backpacker account for about 10% (usually I see about 4 or 5 on every bus that I took).

It is a good thing that the airport is more organised. It is a bad thing that I no longer can catch the bus straight from the terminal.

I am just think, perhaps it is in preparation for the arrival of the train (not sure if it is 2009 or 2010).

• 2 weeks later...

Agrees, the BMTA 551 that I was so used to are mostly used by airport workers, say 90%. Backpacker account for about 10% (usually I see about 4 or 5 on every bus that I took).

It is a good thing that the airport is more organised. It is a bad thing that I no longer can catch the bus straight from the terminal.

I am just think, perhaps it is in preparation for the arrival of the train (not sure if it is 2009 or 2010).

Concerning your last point, I will go out on a limb and say that the train (when operational) will be priced in such a way that compares with KL and HK and thus will become an utter disaster considering where is stops in Bangkok.

The Makasan / Petchburi area traffic is notoriously bad at the best of times so by the time a guest or person living in the Suk/Silom cbd zones takes a taxi to the station, and then takes the train to Suvarnabhumi, one could have just taken the taxi straight to the airport itself for less cost, less hassle.

Unlike KL, our airport is generally reachable in 30-45 mins by taxi from most areas in the main tourist zones and at a cost of 200-300 baht per trip, I can't envision too many people opting for the train route, especially when departing Bangkok.

Time will tell.

Proposed fares for the airport trains are till now:

150 bt for the express (maybe 99 or 100 as a short-time introductioyr offer)-may, or may not, include some short shuttle buses ex Mak-san to nearby Farang-wanted places like lower Sukhumvit or Siam

50/60 bt for the all-stops half-hourly slow train-fewer seats, no dedicated luggage-aimed at the workers.

in fact the KLIA-express has the same fare -structure-you can do it for [i think) 20 MYR less if you break en-route and wait 30 mins till next-for BKK that wont be needed.

IF it really strats charging 150 bt-I predict those airportexpress buses go down to 100 [after all to Pattaya-by much better bus and twice the distance its only 110 bt or so)-and ms. Potjamarn-Taksin's wife-then forfeits the 50 bt/per pax she has negotiated in her garden when it all still was shiny+rosy to give the concession to this company.

Proposed fares for the airport trains are till now:

150 bt for the express (maybe 99 or 100 as a short-time introductioyr offer)-may, or may not, include some short shuttle buses ex Mak-san to nearby Farang-wanted places like lower Sukhumvit or Siam

50/60 bt for the all-stops half-hourly slow train-fewer seats, no dedicated luggage-aimed at the workers.

in fact the KLIA-express has the same fare -structure-you can do it for [i think) 20 MYR less if you break en-route and wait 30 mins till next-for BKK that wont be needed.

IF it really strats charging 150 bt-I predict those airportexpress buses go down to 100 [after all to Pattaya-by much better bus and twice the distance its only 110 bt or so)-and ms. Potjamarn-Taksin's wife-then forfeits the 50 bt/per pax she has negotiated in her garden when it all still was shiny+rosy to give the concession to this company.

Like the bts then, when you have more than one person traveling it's cheaper to go by taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone tried recently to take the 552 or similar (mini bus) at swampy recently?

Will arrive lightly packed soon, don't wish to pay +300B for taxi to get to Suk 18 (552 should turn left on Asoke?)

So do I need to get down to level 1 or take the shuttle to Transportation Center?

The shuttle bus stop is on the arrivals floor at about exit 5 and across the first road. However they keep closing various exits so its hard to say where you can exit other than at the taxi rank.

The Airport Express sucks. They may or may not take the expressway. I use the airport weekly and gave up on them. The driver might choose to add twenty-thirty minutes to your trip just to save himself 25 baht by not taking the Rama 9 highway (tollway). He may stop to pick up additional passengers. He may stop to go to the bathroom at a gas station or to meet a friend. It may or may not appear at the airport at the time it is expected. No way does it leave every 15 minutes ever!

The link to the airport information is not updated. Ever.....

When I arrived Suvarnabhumi airport 3 days ago, I told the guy (with pony-tail) at the Airport Express counter inside the building of the 1st Level that I wanted to go to Central World/Pratunam. He said to take the AE1 bus which would arrive in 15 minutes. Paid him THB150 and waited. 1 hour later no AE1! Went up to the guy and was told to take AE3. "Same, same" he said. Unbelievable! That guy would cheat, lie and steal to get your THB150 first. AE3's route makes the last stop at Central World/Pratunam, whereas AE1 makes Centarl World/Pratunam at the 1st stop.

I then realized that AE1 was not operating that evening! I asked for a refund. I would take a cab instead. THB600 was what he wanted to charge for a cab.

Disgusted I walked away and discarded the bus ticket. Never again to use the Airport Express!

To follow up on this-the original advice: now that I am back in BKk myself and have used it- for the usual bekpekker-the 556 bus runs again-as BUS-about every 45/60 mins-direct from BUSterminal at Swampy via Expressway-till Phan Fa-then along Ratchdamnern=The big road along KhaoSan/Sanam Luang-then via Oinklao to new Sai Thai bus terminal. It runs from 5.00-20.30.

ALL BMTA airport buses cost a flat 34 bt/to fro Swampy-local fares are charged on citysectors.

This 556 for over 1 year had minivans only. Most other airportroutes still have them-but with luggage thats really a pain to use. The big buses are hardly ever-never I would say so full you need to stand or cannot get luggage in.

"Let me go out on a limb and say, 'Perhaps they were being a bit too successful for concerned parties'."

Let me go out on a limb and say, "you are wrong". Your take is that, rather than take a free shuttle bus to the nearby bus depot, people will pay 10 times the bus fare for a taxi. Baloney. If you ever go to the transportation center, you'll find a dozen buses that go throughout the BKK area, and allowing one specific bus to load/unload at the terminal is wrong. The transportation center has all buses, and that's the way it should be.

The full-sized 551 bus is 36THB, and the small 551 van is 40THB.

"Let me go out on a limb and say, 'Perhaps they were being a bit too successful for concerned parties'."

Let me go out on a limb and say, "you are wrong". Your take is that, rather than take a free shuttle bus to the nearby bus depot, people will pay 10 times the bus fare for a taxi. Baloney. If you ever go to the transportation center, you'll find a dozen buses that go throughout the BKK area, and allowing one specific bus to load/unload at the terminal is wrong. The transportation center has all buses, and that's the way it should be.

The full-sized 551 bus is 36THB, and the small 551 van is 40THB.

Hey Glymph: my taxi from the airport to Sathorn never goes above 300 baht mate. No doubt some people will want to save 200 baht by going to the transportation area with luggage in hand, waiting for the bus to arrive, then taking an hour or so to get into town before having to jump in a cab to their final destination, most people I know can think of other ways to save 6 USD.

And the economic / hassle / convenience argument gets even more one-sided when one is travelling with a companion or kid in tow. One taxi costs the same, 3 bus tickets don't.

"One taxi costs the same, 3 bus tickets don't."

Yes, I know, I posted that information. Regardless, using your example, someone wouldn't consider using the 551 bus, whether it was curbside at the terminal or located at the bus terminal.

Yes, I know, I posted that information. Regardless, using your example, someone wouldn't consider using the 551 bus, whether it was curbside at the terminal or located at the bus terminal.

I wouldn't but then again, if you have ever taking a taxi at Heathrow to a hotel just outside the airport, you'll understand why I think our taxi fares are very very good in comparison. :o

I wouldn't but then again, if you have ever taking a taxi at Heathrow to a hotel just outside the airport, you'll understand why I think our taxi fares are very very good in comparison. :o

A) arriving lightly packed next Saturday around 7 pm I will not try to find and wait 10 minutes for the free shuttle bus to the Transportation Centre, then wait for an other 30 minutes or so to get a 35B bus (x2) which will take Suk all the way down On Nut to Asoke.

I will rather take a taxi a few minutes after collecting bags and be on my way and pay around 300B

:D I never intend to land Heathrow ever again, so that's a false argument.

• 2 weeks later...