Is It Safe 4 My Friend?

RakJungTorlae

yeah I think there going to spend a week or 2 in chiang mai because its near by..

A-T.. I do know he’s a low income earner but he interacts with westerns a lot bcus of hes friends do some travel guid business so that’s how they meet.

It wasn't so much that I was wondering about his income, but rather just commenting about the person I knew who turned out to be nothing more than a player with the sole but mistaken view aimed at making easy money.

It's not unusual for many low income Thais to often have the mistaken notion that all farangs are filthy rich and that the streets in the USA are all paved with gold. It takes time and exposure to grasp the reality of things. It could well be the motorcycle repair guy is a sincere guy who has a realistic view about farangs. Hmm. Low income. Motorcycle repair. Meets farang girl from the USA through a travel guide business. JACKPOT!

this is true, many guys who get involved in the tourist industry are there for the specific reason of meeting rich foreign girls who will get them visas to the west (and give them free sex).

warning bells galore. the thai men i know, if a girl travels alone to their house, it means 100% more then 'just friends'... i wouldnt travel all the way to tmbuktuu to meet a guy i hardly know in my own country (well, when i was single) let alone in a foreign country (in a larger city is one thing u can always haul ass towards the nearest hangout for your own nationality i the tourist areas for safety in numbers or something)

if she is a street wise type (miami, i am assuming she's street wise?) then maybe no problem; if she's just up from the countryside, well,... u can always call up every day and play big brother, for thai males, knowing there is a 'big brother' watching and protecting may help as a 'coolant'. set up a protocol of calling in once nightly or something/ tell her to stay away from the booze, smokes and the 'underdressed' style of clothes, to be a little more proper then she would normally (good girls dont do it on the first or second date), and make sure she always knows where she is... like in any country.

thai men are exotic as thai women, and can be sooooo charming and sexy with their smiles and seeming to be shy...especially the younger guys that have been exposed to foreigners etc (travel guide = beach boy w/o the water)... fun fun fun with more then a touch of spice....

(anon my husband says: "oooi! why do all these girls like to travel around in clothing like they are half dressed. smoking cigarettes!!!.. no wonder there are always problems, let alone meeting a thai man that no one in her family has ever met, nor have her friends"... he (issaan thai male conservative, non sophisticated) thinks its problematic

bina and anon

You found a motorcycle repair guy who can speak English? I can tell you that we (OK my wife) have hired and empoly many decent, hard working Thai motorcycle repair guys. Usually (99.99%) guys who get blue collar jobs dealing with grease and motorcycles come from pretty poor backgrounds and never speak even the most basic English. If he wants a job in Issan we got a position waiting.

i knew a girl from a good upper middle class family. she was a bit lost - but a sincerely nice girl. her father was an architect, had a great house, home full of interesting critters. a snake got lost once in the house for about a year until one of the cats (a black one) killed it. she used to have lots of parties and i would always see her at parties around the hood.

she went to thailand and met a thai guy on what is now a party island and this guy started by getting her stoned and this eventually led to smoking opium which when high and vulnerble led to heroin - and she became addicted - and was - as all her closest friends believed a method to financial security the chain by which he controlled her.

i should add at the time - she was an attractive blond girl - beautiful and a bit hippy.

she asked for and got money to buy land from her family and her friends actually tried to do an intervention by going to thailand and also trying to get her off the smack. i don;t know what happened - but i do know that her thai boyfriend came to her home in N.A. and the friends kinda laughed about how he used to squat on the sit down toilet - her as well - since she told everyone.

the moral of the story - there are bad people everyone - but one should be especially careful of people from different economic backgrounds as there is more of an incentive to be less than honest with one's motives. an attractive girl from a much wealthier nation would have serious green card goggles on her.

i believe this person i just wrote of is a TV member and i have an ideal who!

i like this guy!

im of the same opinion. you just dont know what lower incum people r up too! too many times they up to no good, way too many!

honestly, the number of young girls who come to thailand on their own and immediately hook up with a thai guy who looks like (and possibly is) a murderer is quite high (do a search for my Thai Beach Boys thread). .

Then it's OK. Last time I looked, there weren't any beaches in the jungle up north.

I have a friend in the U.S Miami "Anglo" and she will come here at the end of the year to visit some man she met on her travels in

Thailand early this year ]She's always asking for advice and my thoughts if she's doing the right thing. I guess she has the hots for him or something. He is Thai living up north working as a (motorcycle Repair ) and They have only known eat other a short time and they have not been Interment with each other, they just stay in contact over the phone and emails and stuff. [/font]She is young and very attractive girl. The only advice I can offer her is, "things will work out fine Think of it as a holiday" and if things get rough make your way to Bangkok and chill with me, But I have hmmm my suspicions here and there as I mentioned they don't really know each other and meet for a very short time here.It could be just puppy love I guess and it will pass, I think it's relatively safe to travel around by ones self if prepared.What are your thoughts and advice on/if letting your friend wonder off in the Jungle to spend time with some guy they hardly know.

I have a rule of thumb that I use when I venture into such uncharted territory .... If something un-towards was to happen to me what will people say... If they were likely to say "Well that was a dam_n fool thing for him to do!" I walk away.... And this action of your friend falls right smack into that category and I believe you have the same feeling! For an attractive woman to wander off into the jungle is utter madness and you will have it on your conscience should something happen to her.