Is It Safe 4 My Friend?

RakJungTorlae

I have a friend in the U.S Miami "Anglo" and she will come here at the end of the year to visit some man she met on her travels in

Thailand early this year.She's always asking for advice and my thoughts if she's doing the right thing. I guess she has the hots for him or something. He is Thai living up north working as a (motorcycle Repair ) and They have only known eat other a short time and they have not been Interment with each other, they just stay in contact over the phone and emails and stuff. She is young and very attractive girl. The only advice I can offer her is, "things will work out fine Think of it as a holiday" and if things get rough make your way to Bangkok and chill with me, But I have hmmm my suspicions here and there as I mentioned they don't really know each other and meet for a very short time here.It could be just puppy love I guess and it will pass, I think it's relatively safe to travel around by ones self if prepared.What are your thoughts and advice on/if letting your friend wonder off in the Jungle to spend time with some guy they hardly know.

-RJT-

Edited by RakJungTorlae

I have a friend in the U.S Miami "Anglo" and she will come here at the end of the year to visit some man she met on her travels in

Thailand early this year.She's always asking for advice and my thoughts if she's doing the right thing. I guess she has the hots for him or something. He is Thai living up north working as a (motorcycle Repair ) and They have only known eat other a short time and they have not been Interment with each other, they just stay in contact over the phone and emails and stuff. She is young and very attractive girl. The only advice I can offer her is, "things will work out fine Think of it as a holiday" and if things get rough make your way to Bangkok and chill with me, But I have hmmm my suspicions here and there as I mentioned they don't really know each other and meet for a very short time here.It could be just puppy love I guess and it will pass, I think it's relatively safe to travel around by ones self if prepared.What are your thoughts and advice on/if letting your friend wonder off in the Jungle to spend time with some guy they hardly know.

-RJT-

I have travelled around the world by myself and I have been just fine, but I use my common sense/instincts to avoid bad situations. She should be okay as long as she meets him in public until she gets to know him better, and doesn't get too drunk with him or follow him into the jungle etc. If she does that, she's stupid and deserves what she gets. Natural selection.

I have travelled around the world to meet girls whom I had met before.  Once, I went to Helsinki from Japan via the US to meet a girl I had orignally met for one night on a European ferry the year before.  This is life, and a normal inclination for young people with a more international point of view.

I wouldn't fret it.  Chances are it won't be a lifelong committment, but even false starts are a part of growing up.  Having you here as a lifeline in BKK is a good deal for her.  If things don't work out, she can jaunt south to you until she has to return.

-RJT-

I agree with you about being a little bit suspicios here.

When one travel to another country/culture and meet someone, we often tend to be charmed away by all the new exciting surroundings.

Im surprised that this motor cycle repair man from northen Thailand is so able to communicate in English over the phone.

Please, nothing against the repair man. But knowing the country, it is quite rare to fine that good English skills outside the bigger cities/tourist areas.

Many of my friends here communicate fairly ok in English when we are face to face, or on SMS/e-mails. But over phone they seem to lose their skills a bit.

I remember I was exactly the same when I was younger, and had more limited English skills.

Anyhow, I also agree with many of the posters here that common sense should always be used.

Never get carried away by exciting new prospects.

RJT

I think you, being part Thai, if I remember correctly, should tell her the regard in which she will be held by Thai people i.e. they imagine western women are promiscuous, rich and easy pickings.

You are correct to worry and good that you will be there for her however a good friend would tell it like it is and what I personally have found to be true is the statement I have made.

Girl X is a strong and confident person imo. Some young girls aren't.

Not a wise idea. Definitely not a wise idea. She doesn't know this guy very well; he's getting a real trophy; his friends are going to be all over her like a soi dog on a beef stake; he's going to get mad and upset and of course it most likely will be her fault. Then there are problems. This, of course, is worst case scenario, but culturally her job is to stay home and his job is to pursue her. When you turn those cultural positions around, you get a number and your dancing on a stage with a pole.

She's actually met him before and seen the place? I don't think there would be any reason to worry. What's the worse that can happen? Can't imagine why he would bother keeping in touch if he wants to do something bad to her. Like you said she's young so I'm assuming she's not loaded with cash (unless from a rich family).

Anyway, she'd probably just regret it if she didn't go.

Thailand early this year.She's always asking for advice

-RJT-

Does she not have anybody sensible she can turn to for advice ! :o:D

Would it be possible for you to travel up there with her for a few days? Get rooms in a hotel in the nearest big town and she can meet him there on neutral territory so to speak. If things turn out to be ok and she's happy with him you can leave the lovebirds to it but if things go wrong or she feels uncomfortable with the situation it will be easier for her to back out.

RJT, I think it will be ok mainly because there is a support network in Thailand. You are here, and you certainly know enough people that, in the off chance that something "happens", you could rally up alot of troops (including me) to go up North and get her back down to BKK. I don't think there is a 'love connection' going to happen, but I don't think it is going to turn into the movie "Hostel" either. :o If it were me, I would head up North with her to scope the dude out for a few days, then head back once everything is clear.

RJT, why not ask her to join TV and make some connections with some of the other ladies as well? The plus side is that she'd make some more new friends, and have some extra backup support, especially those who can more easily understand things from her point of view. Sort of a backup comfort zone thing.

I know one Thai guy (middle income family, fair English skills, already had a Thai girlfriend) who kept hounding me to introduce him to any American girl because he clearly told me he was looking for an easy way into the U.S. (not that it would be any easier). Actually, I knew his girlfriend better than I knew him when she was a university student in the U.S. That's not to say all Thai guys are like that though.

Where does the Thai motorcycle repair guy work? How did she meet him?

Edited by AmeriThai

Not a wise idea. Definitely not a wise idea. She doesn't know this guy very well; he's getting a real trophy; his friends are going to be all over her like a soi dog on a beef stake; he's going to get mad and upset and of course it most likely will be her fault. Then there are problems. This, of course, is worst case scenario, but culturally her job is to stay home and his job is to pursue her. When you turn those cultural positions around, you get a number and your dancing on a stage with a pole.

Very good advise to be sure , especially since he lives in the north where exotic white ladies are few and far between , i can imagine the scene in a local bar after a few 'Rice whiskies' , be warned , be wary , stay home and invite him to visit you . Most motor-cycle repair man would most likely not have the funds to do that , tough s##t for him .

RJT, I think it will be ok mainly because there is a support network in Thailand. You are here, and you certainly know enough people that, in the off chance that something "happens", you could rally up alot of troops (including me) to go up North and get her back down to BKK. I don't think there is a 'love connection' going to happen, but I don't think it is going to turn into the movie "Hostel" either. :o If it were me, I would head up North with her to scope the dude out for a few days, then head back once everything is clear.

This is not a Western movie , to rally up a lot of troops AFTER the incident would be futile , you do not think a love connection is going to happen ? A hot blooded young Thai man and a WESTERN woman ? Where the F##k is your brain mr puritan ?

I don't think it is going to turn into the movie "Hostel" either.

not to change the subject but have you seen the movie "turistas" set in brazil? it is a very scary movie that plays on traveller's fears, similar to but better than hostel.

honestly, the number of young girls who come to thailand on their own and immediately hook up with a thai guy who looks like (and possibly is) a murderer is quite high (do a search for my Thai Beach Boys thread). most of them end up ok but it is nice of you to look out for her as some do get into bad situations out of utter naivete. don't go overboard though, she has parents for that. just give her the warnings above and invite her out when she gets to BKK and let her know you are there if she needs anything, and that is your responsibility, sorted.

tell her to read the safety tips for girls in thailand in the ladies forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Safety-Tips-...nd-t151665.html

Most of this advice is either for AFTER the problem has occured or for some ways that most females are not capable of , my honest advise is DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO GET INTO ANY CIRCUMSTANCE OF DANGER , do not go anywhere alone or with anyone you have not been conversant with for a long time , even that does not preclude you from impending danger . read up on incidents that have accured to young ladies in Thailand IT IS NOT A SAFE PLACE FOR YOU TO TRAVEL ALONE , period .

tell her to read the safety tips for girls in thailand in the ladies forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Safety-Tips-...nd-t151665.html

Most of this advice is either for AFTER the problem has occured or for some ways that most females are not capable of , my honest advise is DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO GET INTO ANY CIRCUMSTANCE OF DANGER , do not go anywhere alone or with anyone you have not been conversant with for a long time , even that does not preclude you from impending danger . read up on incidents that have accured to young ladies in Thailand IT IS NOT A SAFE PLACE FOR YOU TO TRAVEL ALONE , period .

I’m confused.

You said it is safe and now you said its not?

I’m confused.

You said it is safe and now you said its not?

Chances are she'd be fine, but it's still a pretty risky thing to do. You said yourself that they don't really know each other very well, whch means she doesn't know him very well. If she has to go, then it would be better if someone else who she does know, go along with her. Safety in numbers. Not very intimate, but under the circumstances, it might be a safer option, at least until they are better acquainted. If that's not acceptable to her, then I'm afraid there isn't much else you can do, other than to tell her about your concern.

Hi Guys,

I wish I got all these good advices before I headed up alone to the wild northern jungle 15 years ago, to meet a total stranger to me, a thai girl.

Who left her kids to her old parents and went down to Pattis to screw all the Farangs she could find, she hooked me over a cold beer and lured me to visit her and her family up north.

With a badly hand written way guide, I managed to find her home, I was greeted welcome by her old father holding a home build riffle, which he just had used to kill a possum. I had few good years time with her, before I got bored staying around the farm and her intrusive family, and that pot smoking french wood carver. :o

But I guess that it would be different for a farang Girl to head up to the wild north alone?

She should arrange to meet him in Bangkok and spend a week or so there or in Phuket, Samui or Pattaya getting to know him before venturing into an isolated village with him.

Even in those circumstances she needs to be aware and alert, and not think that she is in cloud cuckoo land where everything is wonderful, without the same possibilities as she would face in Miami.

She should arrange to meet him in Bangkok and spend a week or so there or in Phuket, Samui or Pattaya getting to know him before venturing into an isolated village with him.

Even in those circumstances she needs to be aware and alert, and not think that she is in cloud cuckoo land where everything is wonderful, without the same possibilities as she would face in Miami.

Second that, you beat me to it. :o

hmmm a good farang girl friend of mine dated a thai guy with a motorcycle repair shop in chiang mai. he was also running a brothel in the back.... and a few months after they got together, she found out he was married! :o

i knew a girl from a good upper middle class family. she was a bit lost - but a sincerely nice girl. her father was an architect, had a great house, home full of interesting critters. a snake got lost once in the house for about a year until one of the cats (a black one) killed it. she used to have lots of parties and i would always see her at parties around the hood.

she went to thailand and met a thai guy on what is now a party island and this guy started by getting her stoned and this eventually led to smoking opium which when high and vulnerble led to heroin - and she became addicted - and was - as all her closest friends believed a method to financial security the chain by which he controlled her.

i should add at the time - she was an attractive blond girl - beautiful and a bit hippy.

she asked for and got money to buy land from her family and her friends actually tried to do an intervention by going to thailand and also trying to get her off the smack. i don;t know what happened - but i do know that her thai boyfriend came to her home in N.A. and the friends kinda laughed about how he used to squat on the sit down toilet - her as well - since she told everyone.

the moral of the story - there are bad people everyone - but one should be especially careful of people from different economic backgrounds as there is more of an incentive to be less than honest with one's motives. an attractive girl from a much wealthier nation would have serious green card goggles on her.

i believe this person i just wrote of is a TV member and i have an ideal who!

i knew a girl from a good upper middle class family. she was a bit lost - but a sincerely nice girl. her father was an architect, had a great house, home full of interesting critters. a snake got lost once in the house for about a year until one of the cats (a black one) killed it. she used to have lots of parties and i would always see her at parties around the hood.

she went to thailand and met a thai guy on what is now a party island and this guy started by getting her stoned and this eventually led to smoking opium which when high and vulnerble led to heroin - and she became addicted - and was - as all her closest friends believed a method to financial security the chain by which he controlled her.

i should add at the time - she was an attractive blond girl - beautiful and a bit hippy.

she asked for and got money to buy land from her family and her friends actually tried to do an intervention by going to thailand and also trying to get her off the smack. i don;t know what happened - but i do know that her thai boyfriend came to her home in N.A. and the friends kinda laughed about how he used to squat on the sit down toilet - her as well - since she told everyone.

the moral of the story - there are bad people everyone - but one should be especially careful of people from different economic backgrounds as there is more of an incentive to be less than honest with one's motives. an attractive girl from a much wealthier nation would have serious green card goggles on her.

i believe this person i just wrote of is a TV member and i have an ideal who!

The moral of the story should be 'Just say NO' (to drugs). Oh, he came back to her country and everyone had a great time? Sounds fun.