The Standard Con

Not sure how many time they have tried to con me when filling up petrol.

Last night:

(Me) How much?

(Attendant) 1600 Baht

(Attendant) Err, I mean 1670 Baht

(Me) Hand over credit card....start mulling over this weird anwser

(Me) Get out- check meter which has skill fully the hose blocking its view

(Me) "Nong, its 1570"

(Attendant) Yeh, i know, i meant 1570 Baht

When he came over tot he car, told him ( all in thai ) he was a habitual liar, asked him if his mother taught him how to be good at it ( i know, talking about mothers is a big insult in thai, guess it was the only way to piss him off )

Petrol station was at Ekamai, just before overpass bridge on the way to Rama 9.

Best one i ever had was at PTT ( i think its PTT ) on the motorway on the way to Pattaya - tried the same scam - but 300 baht this time.

Check the meter Guys !

Edited by skippybangkok

Never had any problem but then I always pay cash and use the fill up as an opportunity to stretch my legs/back etc so am always standing next to the pump. Use to happen in UK/Canada when one pump serves two bays as they usually reset the pump to fill up the next car and then tell you how much. Hence self-serve. Except in Oregan for any Oregonians out there.

Edited by VocalNeal

Never had any problem but then I always pay cash and use the fill up as an opportunity to stretch my legs/back etc so am always standing next to the pump. Use to happen in UK/Canada when one pump serves two bays as they usually reset the pump to fill up the next car and then tell you how much. Hence self-serve. Except in Oregan for any Oregonians out there.

Nuttin to do with credit cards - more just u need to get out of the car, or back up, and check the reading on the meter.

Nuttin to do with credit cards - more just u need to get out of the car, or back up, and check the reading on the meter.
So. what's the lesson?

1. Get out of your car and watch what's happening.

2. Tell them something like "1500 Baht Diesel" or whatever, but never say "dem tang". They will punch the amount in their machine and you get exactly what you asked for.

I learned to read the Gasoline-O-Meter and translate it into Baht, which makes the whole procedure quite painless. Since I changed to this way of filling up I never got cheated (like before at the Esso pump in Patong Beach...)

I know about the scam in Pattaya Tai Shell stationbut as I buy diesel it doesn't affect me :o

However, I don't know how you get scammed because since I was a boy my old man told me to check it had been zeroed. I use a PTT station in Buriram regularly and a couple of times (always ask for fill up) they would stop at like Bt2300 when I know it needs Bt3000 to fill it up (numbers immaterial). Once he put in another Bt100 but would put no more in :D like there is a diesel shortage ?

Not a big issue and no con but very strange

Take care of the Shell station on Pattaya Tai road.

They do not set the meter after filling up a motorbike, so you get less than shown on the meter.

<Make sure they reset the meter before starting to fill your tank

Sheesh, this was the same station doing exactly that 15 years ago as anyone in Patters at the time can verify. People were telling others to avoid that station, but it seems the advice fell on deaf ears. 15 years of these rip-offs must have built the owner(s) a few mansions with a different Benz for every day of the year. :o

Take care of the Shell station on Pattaya Tai road.

They do not set the meter after filling up a motorbike, so you get less than shown on the meter.

<Make sure they reset the meter before starting to fill your tank

Sheesh, this was the same station doing exactly that 15 years ago as anyone in Patters at the time can verify. People were telling others to avoid that station, but it seems the advice fell on deaf ears. 15 years of these rip-offs must have built the owner(s) a few mansions with a different Benz for every day of the year. :o