What Snake Is That(pic)?

WebTsarina

what part of Thailand are you, as you can call people to come out...

come out... to what? Eat it!

:o - but in Phuket and Samui, there is a snake rescue service!... but in the north, yes they probably would eat it

I'm in Chanbury. Our thai maid and thai gardener both say it's poisonous. I doubt it's a python, the head is too small. When we try to kill is it charge and when hit in the neck/head area it 'spitted' milk-like liquid. When killed, we were able to see a long sharp hook-like tooth, looks like venomous one. Any educated guesses?

Edited by WebTsarina

I'm in Chanbury. Our thai maid and thai gardener both say it's poisonous. I doubt it's a python, the head is too small. Any educated guesses?

Didn't you see my above post, complete with pics? I'll bet my left knacker it's a Brown Kukri Snake. Look at the colouring around the eyes & the slope of the dark stripe across the eye.

Or panic like the missus the other morning when we had a dozen Sai Din (blind snake) slithering over the front porch. :o

True - I found a nguu din (blind snake or flowerpot snake), showed it to the missus and she told me that this one could kill me!

True - I found a nguu din (blind snake or flowerpot snake), showed it to the missus and she told me that this one could kill me!

That's interesting. I expected the snake to be called nguu din too but the wife, her father and uncles all called them sai din. I queried them a couple of times on the name. Maybe sai din is a local name.

Just did some searching and found this posted by MacB last year.

"the wife assures me they are large worms or Thai pronunciation SAI DUANG (Earthworm)"

Maybe we had earthworms and my hearing wasn't the best.

Edited by Farma

Our thai maid and thai gardener both say it's poisonous

Show most Asians an Earthworm and they will tell you that it is highly venomous :D

:D

I have once been told by a Thai that a Tockay can deliver a fatal bite. :o

See above. :D

Non-venomous, but a few lizards have nasty bacteria in their mouths, especially the monitor.

I'm in Chanbury. Our thai maid and thai gardener both say it's poisonous. I doubt it's a python, the head is too small. When we try to kill is it charge and when hit in the neck/head area it 'spitted' milk-like liquid. When killed, we were able to see a long sharp hook-like tooth, looks like venomous one. Any educated guesses?

Up North, when asking a Thai about a snake, they invariably say it is poisonous, even harmless grass snakes! They haven't a clue.

Again, the usual from the ever knowledgeable locals!

Up here (Chiang Mai sticks) They even go so far as to warn you not to get within 10 feet of them, as the TokTaws will "leap" from their resting place, attack you with much ferocity, and will not release their jaws, they then insist that you will have to go to hospital - with the TokTaw still attached to whatever part of your anatomy it originally siezed, and the hospital doctors will have to surgically remove it . Personally, they seem more frightened of me as opposed to wanting to savage me and devour me as a giant meal. Maybe they are xenophobic and prefer launching vicious attacks on Thais as they know we foreigners stink something rotten and they don't like dairy.

Up here (Chiang Mai sticks) They even go so far as to warn you not to get within 10 feet of them, as the TokTaws will "leap" from their resting place, attack you with much ferocity, and will not release their jaws, they then insist that you will have to go to hospital - with the TokTaw still attached to whatever part of your anatomy it originally siezed, and the hospital doctors will have to surgically remove it . Personally, they seem more frightened of me as opposed to wanting to savage me and devour me as a giant meal. Maybe they are xenophobic and prefer launching vicious attacks on Thais as they know we foreigners stink something rotten and they don't like dairy.

Snakes: It was definitely a Kukri. The most common snake in Thailand.

Whenever I find a snake I pin its head. My wife gets the snake book.

If it's poisonous I don't have the time to drive to the jungle just for it so I kill it.

If non-poisonous (as compared to the book) I let it go in a nearby field 1KM away.

I prefer snakes to all the stuff that snakes eat.

Tokays:

I love them for all the mice, mosquitoes, and bugs they eat.

One day some farmers snuck into our yard and caught them all for dinner.

Rumor: If they bite they never let go and you have to saw their heads off. If it came to that the best approach is to dunk them under water.

Fact: They can be, sort of, tamed. If you feed them they can become friendly and come upon request.

I had an unpleasant guest visiting my house a few weeks ago.

I assumed by the look that it was a snake and gave it the death sentence on the spot, cutting it to peaces with my machete.

Would be interested to know what snake it was and if it was venomous.

Maybe not clear on the picture, but the snake color was green.

post-10254-1222952958_thumb.jpg

Snakes: It was definitely a Kukri. The most common snake in Thailand.

Whenever I find a snake I pin its head. My wife gets the snake book.

If it's poisonous I don't have the time to drive to the jungle just for it so I kill it.

If non-poisonous (as compared to the book) I let it go in a nearby field 1KM away.

I prefer snakes to all the stuff that snakes eat.

Tokays:

I love them for all the mice, mosquitoes, and bugs they eat.

One day some farmers snuck into our yard and caught them all for dinner.

Rumor: If they bite they never let go and you have to saw their heads off. If it came to that the best approach is to dunk them under water.

Fact: They can be, sort of, tamed. If you feed them they can become friendly and come upon request.

Feed them what? I'd love to get one tamed, unfortunately the cats usually eat them before they get mature.

I assumed by the look that it was a snake and gave it the death sentence on the spot, cutting it to peaces with my machete.

This snake pictured, was killed in ignorance and stupidity.

This snake pictured, was killed in ignorance and stupidity.

poor guy

it was merely one of the following:

a. green racer (diurnal/trees/no poison/NE Thailand)

b. flying tree snake (diurnal/trees/tiniest bit of poison/S. Thailand) (I caught on in North in 2002)

c. green cat-eyed snake (nocturnal/trees/tiniest bit of poison/most Thailand)

It's hard to tell the pattern but nearly sure it's a racer.