What Snake Is That(pic)?

WebTsarina

I had an unpleasant guest visiting my house a few weeks ago.

I assumed by the look that it was a snake and gave it the death sentence on the spot, cutting it to peaces with my machete.

Would be interested to know what snake it was and if it was venomous.

Maybe not clear on the picture, but the snake color was green.

post-10254-1222952958_thumb.jpg

This snake pictured, was killed in ignorance and stupidity.

poor guy

it was merely one of the following:

a. green racer (diurnal/trees/no poison/NE Thailand)

b. flying tree snake (diurnal/trees/tiniest bit of poison/S. Thailand) (I caught on in North in 2002)

c. green cat-eyed snake (nocturnal/trees/tiniest bit of poison/most Thailand)

It's hard to tell the pattern but nearly sure it's a racer.

It's surely not a cat snake, the eyes are nowhere big enough.

I thought he was kidding about the first snake being a Phyton.

I have once been told by a Thai that a Tockay can deliver a fatal bite. :o

Again, the usual from the ever knowledgeable locals!

Up here (Chiang Mai sticks) They even go so far as to warn you not to get within 10 feet of them, as the TokTaws will "leap" from their resting place, attack you with much ferocity, and will not release their jaws, they then insist that you will have to go to hospital - with the TokTaw still attached to whatever part of your anatomy it originally siezed, and the hospital doctors will have to surgically remove it . Personally, they seem more frightened of me as opposed to wanting to savage me and devour me as a giant meal. Maybe they are xenophobic and prefer launching vicious attacks on Thais as they know we foreigners stink something rotten and they don't like dairy.

Snakes: It was definitely a Kukri. The most common snake in Thailand.

Whenever I find a snake I pin its head. My wife gets the snake book.

If it's poisonous I don't have the time to drive to the jungle just for it so I kill it.

If non-poisonous (as compared to the book) I let it go in a nearby field 1KM away.

I prefer snakes to all the stuff that snakes eat.

Tokays:

I love them for all the mice, mosquitoes, and bugs they eat.

One day some farmers snuck into our yard and caught them all for dinner.

Rumor: If they bite they never let go and you have to saw their heads off. If it came to that the best approach is to dunk them under water.

Fact: They can be, sort of, tamed. If you feed them they can become friendly and come upon request.

Feed them what? I'd love to get one tamed, unfortunately the cats usually eat them before they get mature.

I was watching a documentary where these guys were feeding the Tokay lots of snacks to get them to do tricks (climb over stuff/go through a maze etc...) It was hard to tell what they were feeding them. (May I suggest mice and mosquitoes.)

I think that they might be omnivores- they can eat meat and possibly some vegetables.

I assumed by the look that it was a snake and gave it the death sentence on the spot, cutting it to peaces with my machete.

poor guy

it was merely one of the following:

a. green racer (diurnal/trees/no poison/NE Thailand)

b. flying tree snake (diurnal/trees/tiniest bit of poison/S. Thailand) (I caught on in North in 2002)

c. green cat-eyed snake (nocturnal/trees/tiniest bit of poison/most Thailand)

It's hard to tell the pattern but nearly sure it's a racer.

It's surely not a cat snake, the eyes are nowhere big enough.

I thought he was kidding about the first snake being a Phyton.

I agree. The eyes aren't big enough but I threw it in for good measure as a distant third place.

Stop being "holier than thou" . In my ignorance I am going to take the earlier advice regarding snakes - kill them first, ask questions later

On my land we get visited by lots of weird and wonderful creatures, including all types of snake species.

In the event of a snake visit, I just spray it with water from a distance using a garden hose pipe, than the snake just slivers away at full speed and not seen again. Very, very, rarely, if ever, will these creatures even venture into the house, they are more frightened of us, than we of them. Even if one did give us a house call, murdering the creature would be my very last drastic action against these animals.

Never have I had to take the cruel option of killing them and after many years living here in Thailand, my family and I have survived the encounters of these so called killer beasts, to tell the tale.

Killing these snakes, which some may now be rare species for just for being around is total ignorance and heartless stupidity.

MORONS.

Stop being "holier than thou" . In my ignorance I am going to take the earlier advice regarding snakes - kill them first, ask questions later

On my land we get visited by lots of weird and wonderful creatures, including all types of snake species.

In the event of a snake visit, I just spray it with water from a distance using a garden hose pipe, than the snake just slivers away at full speed and not seen again. Very, very, rarely, if ever, will these creatures even venture into the house, they are more frightened of us, than we of them. Even if one did give us a house call, murdering the creature would be my very last drastic action against these animals.

Never have I had to take the cruel option of killing them and after many years living here in Thailand, my family and I have survived the encounters of these so called killer beasts, to tell the tale.

Killing these snakes, which some may now be rare species for just for being around is total ignorance and heartless stupidity.

MORONS.

Holier than thou AND a high horse :o .

Until I become educated I shall continue to be a moron and retain my shoot first strategy. I am taking no chances if I don't know what I am dealing with. Please don't tell me it is my responsibility to understand everything about God's creatures - it isn't.

MORONS.

Holier than thou AND a high horse :o .

Until I become educated I shall continue to be a moron and retain my shoot first strategy. I am taking no chances if I don't know what I am dealing with. Please don't tell me it is my responsibility to understand everything about God's creatures - it isn't.

At least you admit to being uneducated and a moron, that’s the first step to recognizing you have a problem and there may be a solution for you.

It`s everybody’s responsibility to respect the natural environment, understanding God’s creatures and preserving the wildlife on this planet.

The holier than thou attitude falls on those that selfishly destroy without compassion and wont budge from this heavy handed way of doing things, but the reality is that they are f/ing things up for all of us.

Short answer is: killing these creatures should not be the first option.

In my ignorance I am going to take the earlier advice regarding snakes - kill them first, ask questions later

How many people on Thaivisa actually personally knew someone who died of a snakebite? I would say the answer to this question would be 1 person...if I'm lucky. Also, one must ask when the victim died. It could be quite logical for an 80 year old person to say that they personally knew 2 people who died of snake bite...within a 75 year period. Of course, why did these people die of snake bites? The most common answer to this question is "panic", which leads to shock.

My mother, who is now a retired nursing Sister, has told me many stories of people being admitted to hospital due to a spider bite. These people ended up in a temporary serious condition...totally due to panic. In 100% of these cases, the person was either not bitten by a spider or not bitten by anything. They simply paniced. It's a similar story with snakes.

If you care to search the web, you will find many "first aid" treatments for snakebite. Many of these treatments will not say anything about "panic". Many of these treatments will say something like, "Only administer a pressure bandage as a last resort or if the patient can't reach a hospital within 30 minutes". The truth is that for 100% of snake bites, a Pressure Immobilisation Bandage is a life saver (not necessarily a limb saver though) & "panic" is possible killer.

The even bigger truth is that very few people in this day & age die as a result of a snake bite. If someone does die, it is usually due to extreme & unusual circumstances like the failure to administer first aid (a pressure bandage) or panic or being isolated (alone & far away from help). Consequently, there is absolutely no need to kill snakes. And for those that will say, "The only reason why there are so few deaths is because people kill snakes before they can bite"...one of the main reasons why people get bitten by snakes is that they were trying to kill or catch snakes.

If you are so scared of something that can harm you, why aren't you hunting for "certain" politicians who, incidentally, kill millions of people?

Snake bite first-aid;

1] apply a Pressure Immobilisation bandage.

2] get to hospital asap.

Edited by elkangorito

In my ignorance I am going to take the earlier advice regarding snakes - kill them first, ask questions later

How many people on Thaivisa actually personally knew someone who died of a snakebite? I would say the answer to this question would be 1 person...if I'm lucky. Also, one must ask when the victim died. It could be quite logical for an 80 year old person to say that they personally knew 2 people who died of snake bite...within a 75 year period. Of course, why did these people die of snake bites? The most common answer to this question is "panic", which leads to shock.

My mother, who is now a retired nursing Sister, has told me many stories of people being admitted to hospital due to a spider bite. These people ended up in a temporary serious condition...totally due to panic. In 100% of these cases, the person was either not bitten by a spider or not bitten by anything. They simply paniced. It's a similar story with snakes.

If you care to search the web, you will find many "first aid" treatments for snakebite. Many of these treatments will not say anything about "panic". Many of these treatments will say something like, "Only administer a pressure bandage as a last resort or if the patient can't reach a hospital within 30 minutes". The truth is that for 100% of snake bites, a Pressure Immobilisation Bandage is a life saver (not necessarily a limb saver though) & "panic" is possible killer.

The even bigger truth is that very few people in this day & age die as a result of a snake bite. If someone does die, it is usually due to extreme & unusual circumstances like the failure to administer first aid (a pressure bandage) or panic or being isolated (alone & far away from help). Consequently, there is absolutely no need to kill snakes. And for those that will say, "The only reason why there are so few deaths is because people kill snakes before they can bite"...one of the main reasons why people get bitten by snakes is that they were trying to kill or catch snakes.

If you are so scared of something that can harm you, why aren't you hunting for "certain" politicians who, incidentally, kill millions of people?

Snake bite first-aid;

1] apply a Pressure Immobilisation bandage.

2] get to hospital asap.

Thank you for the information - sincerely. My education has to start somewhere, I did not experience many snakes as a boy in the cold backwaters of Lincolnshire (England). I would admit that my 'instincts' are borne out of fear - snakes have no appeal to me, I would feel threatened by one and would probably run a mile if I encountered one. These pre-conceived thoughts would result in me killing first - if that makes me a moron in the eyes of sassienie, I can probably live with it.

As far as your last comment is concerned I have no desire to go 'hunting' for snakes or 'snakes in the grass' (GWB - chai mai?) - my concern (fear) is when they seek me !

(English idiom dictionary - Someone who is a snake in the grass betrays you even though you have trusted them.)

My comments in red (for the blood you will lose when a snake, who is hunting you, catches you & bites you).

Thank you for the information - sincerely. My education has to start somewhere, I did not experience many snakes as a boy in the cold backwaters of Lincolnshire (England). Perhaps I should kill all people from Lincolnshire because I did not experience any of them as a boy?

I would admit that my 'instincts' are borne out of fear - snakes have no appeal to me, I would feel threatened by one and would probably run a mile if I encountered one. I'll assume that you weigh somewhere between 50kg & 100kg & that you are over 150cm tall. Why should someone as big as you be worried about a tiny snake, who could not possibly eat something as big as you? Or is it one of those snakes that hunts humans?

These pre-conceived thoughts would result in me killing first - if that makes me a moron in the eyes of sassienie, I can probably live with it.

As far as your last comment is concerned I have no desire to go 'hunting' for snakes or 'snakes in the grass' (GWB - chai mai?) - my concern (fear) is when they seek me!

This is news to me! To my knowledge, snakes do not hunt humans. If you doubt me, do a web search. When you find a snake that exclusively hunts humans, please let me know.

(English idiom dictionary - Someone who is a snake in the grass betrays you even though you have trusted them.)

In the meantime, continue living in fear...I could be that "snake in the grass". I like to hunt for gullible humans...as long as they are not fat pigs.

What an informative thread, thanks guys.

What is a Tokey, I read as if its not a snake ?

Any pictures .

Very good forum by the way

If you think that this thread is informative, you perhaps should read some of the other "informative" threads.

A Two-kay (this is how it is said) is a lizard, very similar to an Eastern Water Dragon (Australia). They, contrary to popular belief, do not have a vicious bite since their teeth are incredibly small. However, if one is bitten by such an animal, it would pay to at least make sure that you have a Tetanus shot. They DO NOT "lock onto you" as some would have you believe. I have handled lizards & snakes since I was a teenager.

I have no desire to go 'hunting' for snakes or 'snakes in the grass' (GWB - chai mai?) - my concern (fear) is when they seek me !

Your fear is needless. Snakes don't go around looking for people. Most of the time, they're either looking for food or shelter. They'll only get defensive when they feel threatened or surprised, but they'll usually flee if at all possible and have a clear way to escape.

What an informative thread, thanks guys.

What is a Tokey, I read as if its not a snake ?

Any pictures .

Very good forum by the way

If you think that this thread is informative, you perhaps should read some of the other "informative" threads.

A Two-kay (this is how it is said) is a lizard, very similar to an Eastern Water Dragon (Australia). They, contrary to popular belief, do not have a vicious bite since their teeth are incredibly small. However, if one is bitten by such an animal, it would pay to at least make sure that you have a Tetanus shot. They DO NOT "lock onto you" as some would have you believe. I have handled lizards & snakes since I was a teenager.

A Tokay (Gecko Gecko) www.reptilephotos.com/data/519/medium/DSCF036... is not even close being similar to an Eastern Water Dragon (Physignatus L.) www.agamainternational.com/pages/waterdragon.html. The Physignatus L has a close relative in Thailand called Green water dragon but that is not similar either to a gecko. In looks like Ph L but it is green like an Green Iguana.

I have been bitten many, many times by snakes and a couple of times by Tokay and I can assure you, Tokay´s bite hard. Very hard and you will think the y will bite your finger off. They hardly loosen their grip until they feel for it. Try putting your hand in the water with the Tokay stuck on it and the "#¤%¤#¤"#¤ animal will still not losen its grip for minutes. However, It is a nice gecko filled with mysticism in folklore. Just google the tales of Tokays and you will find alot of information. To get them tame... well, yes, maybe, depends on what you call tame, but... if you feed them and the live close to you on the porch f eks, they will stick around you. There are also people having them as pets, living freely in the apartment. However, I wouldn´t recommend that due to hygienic reasons and their quite high sound.

I would like to give a few more comments.

Snakes do not "hunt" people. They can attack (as a big python) and defend themselves by striking to get you out of the way (as an african mamba) But they do not hunt for people.

A snake (Python or Anaconda) of 50 kilos is definately a serious threat to an adult. If bitten and in the grip of the python, without knowing what you should do, you will die. Has nothing to do with if the python can eat you or not. He will try. But will not succeed. The biggest python I have ever caught, was a yellow head reticulated python, exceeding 6.3 meter which we had as a breeding specimen. We had to be 4 people to handle it safely. In Thailand I caught a ret of 3.6 meters 5 months ago, letting my daughter "play" with it. But she knows how to handle the situation and most of the wild specimens are often not that strong. This one weighted about 20 kilos.

Most snakebites occur from stepping on the snakes or trying to catch them. In Europe most of the snakebites occur when people are trying to show them off after having a few drinks. (The snakes are in capitivity.)

A fact is that when very young kids handle snakes, the snakes rarely, bite. Even the most irritated one who are trying to defend themselves do no bite. So for a baby or a kid to be bitten, that is hardly not gonna happen. A 10 year old (or 30 year old) trying to catch it and being unsecure? Yepp, will be bitten.

Snake do not want to bite people. Sometimes they strike and bite when someone are walking by due to their heat sensors and that you might have the smell from the dog on your clothes. Or you have touched a dog or cat and the snakes think it is food. If so, the snake will not hold on and will most likely not inject all of its venom.

I know of several people and friends who has been bitten by venomous snakes and hospitalized. All has survived, one I know of has got braindamages, two has lost limbs. I myself have been hostpitalized twice for snakebites while medicating and forcefeeding. One time by a Gaboon viper and one time due to a Bamboo Pit Viper. It is not something I recommend but it is true that it is very, very rare that a person dies due to a snakebite. However, if you go to a thirdworld country and are bitten on the country side, can´t afford treatment or fall asleep due to alcohol, you will eventually and not unlikely die. Or if you are in Australia, 500 km from anywhere and being bitten by a brown or a Taipan, yes, you will possibly die and if you survive, you will be damaged.

There are no snakevenoms that can kill you in three seconds or similar. (If you are not an enemy to John Wayne, riding on a horse in the desert...) An injection in a leg or arm will even with a Mamba or Taipan give you 20-30 minutes to get under hospital care. The venom will take it´s time to close you down so, depending on where you are of course, you will have time to get yourself to a hospital.

It is true chock can kill you, if you get that scared. I once read about a person who died due to a snake bit him in the car when he was on the highway and that made him crash... It wasn´t a venomous snake.

One of the most known stories of Black Mambas, is that a woman saw this mamba and tried to kill it with a broom. The snake escaped, in to the hut. Trying to escape the mamba bit 13 persons who all died. The snake escaped. But you have to remember a mamba, taipan, bushmaster or KC is something completely different than anything else, when it starts to go wrong.

But I think that the venom OR the serum/antidote, is more likely to create an allergic reaction which might kill you. That is why all hospitals most of the times try to give you cortison and wait to see how the venom works on you.

The best way if you do not know what you are doing, just leave the snakes. Do not kill them because it is when you are trying to do that, shit happens... If you need to get rid of the snake, use a shovel and put the snake in the bin without harming it, drive away for a km and let it loose. If it most unlikely would be a 5 meter King Cobra, forget about the shovel and stay out of the way and do not get close.... :-) Or call me! ;-) Or spray water on it from a distance of 10 meters, minimum if you can move as a normal person. It will escape. But to be able to escape, it might come towards you to get you to back off and this one is a nightmare, moving 5-7 meters towards you, increadibly fast, with his body raised at least 1/3 of his length. You will back off! And if you give it an opening so it can escape, the snakes gone. It will not turn around and get back to get you. A snake will never ever hunt you.

You need the snake to reduce the number of rodents or other food around where you live. So to be able to have a snake free environment, make sure there are no food around for the snake! ;-) Combine it with eliminating hiding places and you will not likely see any more snakes in your garden.

Sorry if it seems that I am trying to mastering anyone, just being bored for the moment... ;-) Snakes and reptiles are interesting animals. It is a shame here in Thailand that the Thai´s (and even most of the staff at Red Cross in BKK) knows so little about caring, treating and breeding their animals. Today, this is big, big business all over the world and has actually reduced and close to eliminated the trade of wildcaught animals to the pet trade. (Not the skin or food industry.) If you are interested, have a look at www.kingsnake.com, www.gherps.com and go from there. Wanna pay 1 MUSD for a snake? ;-)

Looks like a pit viper.

I have once been told by a Thai that a Tockay can deliver a fatal bite. :o

Again, the usual from the ever knowledgeable locals!

Up here (Chiang Mai sticks) They even go so far as to warn you not to get within 10 feet of them, as the TokTaws will "leap" from their resting place, attack you with much ferocity, and will not release their jaws, they then insist that you will have to go to hospital - with the TokTaw still attached to whatever part of your anatomy it originally siezed, and the hospital doctors will have to surgically remove it . Personally, they seem more frightened of me as opposed to wanting to savage me and devour me as a giant meal. Maybe they are xenophobic and prefer launching vicious attacks on Thais as they know we foreigners stink something rotten and they don't like dairy.

they must have inter-bred with "drop bears" wildly feared in Australian eucalyptus forests!

for the record, my own personal kitchen resident Tuk-Kaa (note: the correct spelling) has not worked out how to jump yet. The half dozen times I've caught the little bugger (started off small but is now a monster with a head the size of my wallet) returns to my kitchen even when left across the road, round the corner in the back of our local temple. He's gone for the moment, but I bet he will be back before Songkran!!!!!

If you think that you don't know what a tokay is, then listen to the mating call on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko

You may not have seen one but there is a very good chance that you have heard one.

Aaaah ! A gecko. Now THEY don't scare me and I would not seek to harm one. Now I am not an uneducated moron :o

Edited by Chaimai

OK, maybe I will be able to get these pics to show up.

Anyone of you snake experts can tell me what they are, I think that one is possibly a cobra, but the other two I have no idea.post-68815-1223091916_thumb.jpg This one I have no idea.

post-68815-1223092006_thumb.jpg This is I believe a cobra.

post-68815-1223092076_thumb.jpgThis again, no idea. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks a lot for that!

Mangrove/Coral snake eh! not many mangroves or coral around here..maybe the got lost!

Cheers for the info, and for confirming the cobra, I thought it was but wasn't 100% sure.

Will check out your links, and appreciate your effort!

"Chaimai", don't try to have a discussion this guy.

It's a complete waste of time.

The snake was IN MY HOUSE, and in my house there is also a my very young kid.

I cannot find a link to the article or photo, but I have seen a newsflash on the TV a few years ago about a girl who was attacked by a snake IN THAILAND. Her leg, with destroyed tissue by the venom was not such a beautiful limb to see anymore and was stiff for the rest of her life.

I also read on the frontpage of a Thai newspaper about a full grown man who was killed IN THAILAND by a snake and consumed. The photo in the newspaper was showing the man AFTER the snake was killed and opened.

Sorry that I didn't go out of the house to look for a hose to spray the snake away while my wife and my daughter were in the house, mister Salami. A snake of about 1,5 meter long and about 8 centimeter thick.

Long ago, a creature of GOD believed a snake when the snake told her that she could eat an apple.

We are still paying now for that mistake.

If I see a snake in my house, I will kill it first (or ask some Thai guys over to do the dirty job like the OP) and after it is out of my view lookup what type of snake it was.

Have a pleasant day with your snakes mister Salami.

OK, maybe I will be able to get these pics to show up.

Anyone of you snake experts can tell me what they are, I think that one is possibly a cobra, but the other two I have no idea.post-68815-1223091916_thumb.jpg This one I have no idea.

post-68815-1223092006_thumb.jpg This is I believe a cobra.

post-68815-1223092076_thumb.jpgThis again, no idea. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Definately not a Mangrove snake on the first one...Nice pics though. the small spotted coral snake is venomous but not likely to bite you with a pair of work or welding gloves it can be handled. As for the first picture in the topic it is harmless however will bite if handled incorectly. Please do not kill the snakes! Leave them be and they will eventually wonder off and away. I used to have a collection of over 30, all Thai snakes that I have saved from impending knife or shovel/hoe attacks. I have even bred some of them in captivity and released them later in non populated areas. Its a great hobbie if you are carefull have the right equipment and treat them with respect. Not a whole lot different then those that enjoy bird watching and identifying but with the added adrenaline.