Thailand To Issue New Immigration Card

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, this is of interest to a great many people...

gallery_35489_957_8109.jpg

Can we possibly have this in Thai language because my wife (and myself) do not believe this drastic change? Six years she has accompanied me to the local Immigration Office and we ended up fighting for most of the day. As always, farang always wrong. We live only a few hundred metres from Laos and would both appreciate a little break.

I cany see a process where the holder of the passpot is not verified as the holder, in UK we have Iris which enable you to pass through once it sees your eyes.

If they gave them cards out and never verified who the passport holder was it would end up like UK where anyone gets in without documentation, unless they chipped the cards.

Sounds a good idea but need to see the process.

At what UK airport do they use iris scans? I'm from the UK and I am a frequent traveller mostly using Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heathrow and Gatwick and I've yet to come accross this. I know they have talked about bringing it in but I doubt that it's being used at this time.

Jimmy, as a poster stated its terminal 3 on your next flight out after you get through the security on the right hand side there is on office, its closes at 9.00pm takes about 5 minutes.

Then on your return as soon as you enter immigration turn sharp left there are 2 booths ( there were two weeks ago) you look in a screen and line your eyes up and bobs your uncle.

Its very quick there were 2 people ahead, of course the added bonus is you can throw your passport away when you get on the plane and still get in the UK :o Or sell it on the plane :D

Edited by RetireSoon

While I admire the optimism expressed here all I can say is stop taking drugs and pull yourself together people. It's never going to happen and if it does, it will be implemented in way that makes you wish it hadn't. It's not for *your* benefit.

Sounds like a limited version of the APEC card, which provides pre-approval for 17 countries - including Thailand

Exactly, and exactly my concern... At the moment my APEC card lets me go through the diplomatic lane, only fighting with the Air Crew for position... If this means every tor group of 300 Chinesse are in the lne, the APEC Card will become useless...

It is vital to me, because the flights from Aus get in at about 11, which means drinking time is limited, and every second waiting at immigration is a second less with my old friend Mr Beer...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Really can't see what the interest is in this.

The worst time ever in airports was queues in Manchester due to all the security measures which went through the whole departure concourse.

Immigration in Thailand, yes it takes a while but it's no different from anywhere else, some officer scrutinising the passport, tap tap tapping at the computer and waiting for a reply.

You can wait just as long if not longer then for either your bags or the taxi.

Why not serve ice-cream or coffee?

And sure we'd all love finger print scans and iris recognition - have you guys not seen Bladerunner, Gattaca and many others - that sort of stuff lets big brother in by the backdoor. :o

Regardless of what is done there will always be a queue, delay or something that is travel. You also have to wait the other ends getting your boarding card, checking luggage, stamping out......

Sounds like they are thinking of a similar system that is used in Singapore. People on yearly visas get a green card along with passport that you show to immigration when leaving and coming back in. You don’t get a exit or entry stamp and you can go in the Singapore passport and residence line. Singapore also has the automatic entry gates where you just pass your card over a readier and take a fingerprint. Not sure if foreigners are eligible for that.

Would be a great improvement for people on yearly extensions that fly in and out regularly. I doubt they would do it for people on visa exempts or tourist visas.

TH

Yes it would be nice if it comes about. But it would be even better if it also served as an ID for other purpsoes. I guess thousgh we will all have to wait and see.

Of course though they will probably just have certain locations for this and will be in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or Chang Mai. So if you don't live near one of those it would be another regular pilgramage somewhere to get it done.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thailand introduces frequent traveller immigration card

Thailand is to introduce a new immigration card later this year, for frequent travellers that will allow them to bypass normal screening procedures at airports.

Those eligible for the Immigration Card are nationals and foreigners who travel in and out of the country three to five times in a year.

The Bangkok Post newspaper reports the move is designed to promote tourism and investment in the country.

It says Immigration Police will also open a call centre early next year to provide tourism-related information in eight languages.

- ABC (Australia) / 2008-10-03

Edited by sriracha john

Why do us westerners living in Thailand always have to be so critical of Thai Immigration initiatives? Sure, there are some grounds for doubt, but this is a major step forward and lets give them the benefit of the doubt. I spend about 10 hours a year standing in the Suvarnabhumi immigration queue and so any promise to alleviate this is welcome, especially after the torture of a 37 hour journey from South America.

Thailand needs to court its resident farangs and regular visitors to restore some of the confidence lost through recent internal problems. This idea is very welcome.

I look forward to further clarification.

Well done Thai Immigration Department!

Paul

If all it does is eliminate the requirement to carry your passport at all times (more honour'd in the breach than the observance as it is), I'm all for it! :o

What requirement to carry your passport ?.... Believe to date no one on TV has been able to cite the relevant law in Thailand which states you have to carry your passport with you at all times....

If all it does is eliminate the requirement to carry your passport at all times (more honour'd in the breach than the observance as it is), I'm all for it! :o

What requirement to carry your passport ?.... Believe to date no one on TV has been able to cite the relevant law in Thailand which states you have to carry your passport with you at all times....

Correct topic for this discussion.

Link: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Carry-Passpo...es-t214039.html

Immigration Police chief Pol. Lt-Gen. Chatchawan Suksomchit is mistaking Oct 1st for April 1st.

Are you referring to this part of story.

"The Immigration Card, which will be issued to tourists and others by the end of this year, marking the advent of a fresh tourist season, was part of the efforts to promote tourism and investment in the country."

Why do us westerners living in Thailand always have to be so critical of Thai Immigration initiatives? Sure, there are some

Well done Thai Immigration Department!

Paul

1^ maybe because it is mainly the empty talk !!

2^ i would be holding my breath, until i can see the actual card !!

Words (as in govt. promises) are cheap all over the world. But in LOS its more like 60 to 1 (inflation adjusted :o )

i use the autogates in UK & HK & sorely need one for Thailand (if ever comes true!>>othewise costs me a passport a year! wasted by stamps).

But from the last 10 years of experience i'm more inclined to think one's more likely to see it implemented in say Cambodia ,

which at least gives sh*t about their foreigners !

But yeah if it ever to materialise Congrats shall be due !

Edited by asiaworld

After reading thorugh all these posts there seems a lot of guessing going on as what exactly this immigration card is..

Personally I think if it does happen, it will be a dressed up/re-packaged version of the current longstay cards you can currently buy, big on promises and advantages, but in reality delivers very little other than getting you through immigration a bit quicker with quite a significant cost attached

A few points being missed:

Most of us on Non O multi-entry don't exit via the airport, but border hops, there's no mention of the system being put in place at all border crossings.

Those entering 3-5 times a year are rarely classed as tourists, and are indeed the less flavoured of the immigration, they like retirees cos (not all but a lot) throw all their money at some poor Thai family and then pop-their-clogs a few years later. They like shortstay tourists cos (apparently, but not my view) they spend more money in the short term and then leave.

People like myself who's under 40 and married to a Thai national are not favoured, that's why the law was changed to say "be over 50 (impossible) or go to work and pay taxes" I don't need to work so I can no longer get a 1 yr visa (cos I broke the chain - those of you in the chain know what I mean), before I simply placed 400k in my bank and I was good to go.

I also noticed when I last passed through Swampy they fast tracked me with the rest of my family (that was nice), I think someone else has hit the nail on the head with this one - it's a vetting procedure that us multi-entry guys might fall for, answer all their questions like "how do we support ourselves" and then get turned away, only to give it to those that rarely travel out of the country, like retirees.

Carrying a valid ID (bat brachachon; or in the case of a foreigner, a passport) is a police requirement, as such issuing of immigration cards by other agencies will do nothing to change the law. Welcome to Thailand, the land of the many infighting government agencies with overlapping responsibilities.

And BTW, nothing in the article states this card is anything but a queue jumper mechanism for airport immigration. Where people read into this that civil law or visa requirements will change with this, maybe they should give some source of this information, instead of just wild speculation.

Carrying a valid ID (bat brachachon; or in the case of a foreigner, a passport) is a police requirement

I will add again, no one on TV has yet cited an extract from Thai law which requires foreigners to carry a passport at all times..

Personally over the last 7 years my Thai drivers license has been accepted by Police when requested to provide ID...

People like myself who's under 40 and married to a Thai national are not favoured, that's why the law was changed to say "be over 50 (impossible) or go to work and pay taxes" I don't need to work so I can no longer get a 1 yr visa (cos I broke the chain - those of you in the chain know what I mean), before I simply placed 400k in my bank and I was good to go.

You might want to check out this recent topic. It gives an option.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pay-Taxes-Working-t215226.html

This is great, and i would guess something similar to the Singapore green card. So no more silly white forms....

However with the max 90 day stay in 180 days they are still going to have to stamp your passport I would guess?

Also, they say they will be issued to anyone travelling in and out 3-5 times a year. So what happens if you are 10 times a year? I guess you should qualify but then why issue a statement saying between 3-5 times a year, or is this the mimimum band? Confusing and without more info I can't see how they won't stamp your passport....

See the immigration act. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/do...gration_Act.pdf

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or

has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on

Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

No passport - You are illegal.

Now let's get back to the matter in hand, a new card from Immigration.

I cany see a process where the holder of the passpot is not verified as the holder, in UK we have Iris which enable you to pass through once it sees your eyes.

If they gave them cards out and never verified who the passport holder was it would end up like UK where anyone gets in without documentation, unless they chipped the cards.

Sounds a good idea but need to see the process.

At what UK airport do they use iris scans? I'm from the UK and I am a frequent traveller mostly using Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heathrow and Gatwick and I've yet to come accross this. I know they have talked about bringing it in but I doubt that it's being used at this time.

It is being used at Manchester, but not working last time I went in March. (surprise, surprise)

:o

The Immigration Card holders, Thai and foreign alike, will bypass normal procedures of the Immigration Police which include scanning for criminal suspects or those on the police and immigration Watch List.

Instead, the Immigration Card holders will have the privileges to go through fast passage at airports, the Immigration Police chief said.

I think this answers the questions about stamps. Is seems to me that the time savings is that the immigration officer won't have to enter all your info in the computer and then enter more info.

He swipes the card gets an okay stamps your passport and away you go.

A special line for card holders would eliminate all those in front of you that don't know what they are doing.

Edited by ubonjoe

While I admire the optimism expressed here all I can say is stop taking drugs and pull yourself together people. It's never going to happen and if it does, it will be implemented in way that makes you wish it hadn't. It's not for *your* benefit.

what are you, some kind of wizard?

How many of these 'frequent visitors' coming in and out of Thailand are long term tourists / residents returning from their monthly / quarterly visa runs? If the Thai government really wants to help foreigners it should get to the heart of the problem and fundamentally review its whole immigration policy. Providing immigration cards is an uncharacteristicly posative thought but the cost of setting up and administering the system will be huge for very little practical benefit - surely the money would be better spent on the real underlying problems?