Thailand To Issue New Immigration Card

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

immigration cards, eh?

sounds like the ghost ASEAN lane.....

immigration cards in other countries is for people living and working long term in host countries....card holders can bypass the normal immigration procedures eg. filling out time wasting immigration forms and so on...

on the contrary, this one appears it is designed to attract tourists by giving impression that if you are frequenter to thailand you will have express ways in and out regardless of your background.....tax paying work permit holders need not apply... :o

The purpose of this is to accomodate farang?

Personally I would like having a card issued by the Immigration Police to carry as a form of ID.

I never carry a passport - I use my Thai drivers lisence & rarely leave the Kingdom.

Let's hope they follow through.

I reckon that somebody in Immigration read the joke thread about "New Thailand Visa Rules" (which I thought was very humorous, but which now seems to have been removed?). They got a bit miffed, and so started this story about a new Immigration card just to wind up a bunch of farang kwais. And look, it's worked! I'll bet the guy and his mates are rolling in the aisles. :o

Only problem with it is that those that will be issued the card(those who go in and out of the country 5 times)have no use of it as they are not allowed into the country again after 3 times.(ninety day rule)

Wrong. For those with mulitple entry O visas (ninety day rule doesn't apply) it will be great if it works, although if you are like me and are married to a Thai, I just go through the Thai Nationals channel with her like a breeze, never more than five minutes ever.

Well theres something like 600 hundread on here now. Must of been the email that was sent out.

If its a card that shows my immigration status here it would be good but if its only for the airport. No good for me I havn't been to the airport in over a year this time.

I'll believe it when I see it... or should I say... when I don't.

Just another public relations stunt that will be fillibuster'd.

How about instead relieving us longtimers that are married to Thais of the annual nightmare to renew our visas? People with families who are obviously holding down jobs should be exempt from that insulting procedure that makes us all feel like criminals and terrorists.

hmmm..

The purpose of this is to accomodate farang?

I don't recall spending a lot of time at Thai Immigrations...

This doesn't make sense to me... I think missing some imformation.

It normally takes me about 1 - 2 Hours to get through immigration! I would be really interested in this card! but would like alot more info about it.

:o

1 to 2 hours? Wow, that's an absurd amount of time...do they take you to a seperate room for interrogation? I have gone through those borders from several different points about 100 or so times and never waited that long. I'd estimate the average time to be around 20 minutes (and most of that waiting in line), with the longest I've ever waited being about 45 minutes.

1 to 2 hours? Wow, that's an absurd amount of time...do they take you to a seperate room for interrogation? I have gone through those borders from several different points about 100 or so times and never waited that long. I'd estimate the average time to be around 20 minutes (and most of that waiting in line), with the longest I've ever waited being about 45 minutes.

Same here..

How about instead relieving us longtimers that are married to Thais of the annual nightmare to renew our visas? People with families who are obviously holding down jobs should be exempt from that insulting procedure that makes us all feel like criminals and terrorists.

I agree with with you.

I have been thinking about checking into setting up a "Mia Farangs" oranization.

There are thousands of mia farangs if we could get them all together to do a petition drive or something to get the rules changed. Or at least equal to the rules that apply to a farang woman married to a Thai.

I agree with with you.

I have been thinking about checking into setting up a "Mia Farangs" oranization.

There are thousands of mia farangs if we could get them all together to do a petition drive or something to get the rules changed. Or at least equal to the rules that apply to a farang woman married to a Thai.

Nice sentiment and great idea but wouldnt hold your breath...

wonder how much each card will cost - more expense no doubt !!!

:D Hope its not for free!! Just paid 12000 baht for another year with Thailongstay Silver Card.

I come and go every 4 weeks, so saving 40min. every trip will be a few hours at the end of the year.

Can it be something else behind this "service" :o

I am in and out of Bangkok and Phuket all the time 8-10 times a year and never have a long wait at Immigration always very smooth maybe I have just been lucky.

Travelling Biz Class helps because you are first off the plane but even stopping of for a much need cigerette or 2 I still dont have much waiting 10-15mins at most.

I come in and out on 2 passports does this mean that if the card is for tourists? and will be linked to only 1 passport if thats the case shall not be asking for one as that will be a great way of adding up consecutive days.

Hope its not for free!! Just paid 12000 baht for another year with Thailongstay Silver Card...

Harrymand

What is a Thailongstay card not heard of one of those is it of benefit if you are in and out every 4 weeks ?

I actually work 28/28 but takes 2 days to get home from West Africa so I am actually in LOS 24 nights every other month

Thanks

I'll believe it when I see it... or should I say... when I don't.

Just another public relations stunt that will be fillibuster'd.

Would you also care to add retired people with families ....etc ?? :o

I understand all you doubters but if they introduce the card I for one think it will be great - I know there are quite a lot of guys like me coming in and out every month which I also do in Dubai where I have a card and it takes me less than 30 seconds. As someone else mentioned it will save pages in the passport. Upto now I have to change my ten year passport every 2 or 3 years. The money doesnt bother me its all the hasle transfering visas', work permits etc.

As for time saved getting through immigration one never knows, there have been times it has taken me 1 1/2 hours another 5 minutes. Lately with the down trend in tourists it has been quick however with the card it will always be quick as it takes approx 5 minutes for an immigration officer to process a passport.

Bring in the Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cany see a process where the holder of the passpot is not verified as the holder, in UK we have Iris which enable you to pass through once it sees your eyes.

If they gave them cards out and never verified who the passport holder was it would end up like UK where anyone gets in without documentation, unless they chipped the cards.

Sounds a good idea but need to see the process.

At what UK airport do they use iris scans? I'm from the UK and I am a frequent traveller mostly using Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heathrow and Gatwick and I've yet to come accross this. I know they have talked about bringing it in but I doubt that it's being used at this time.

however with the card it will always be quick as it takes approx 5 minutes for an immigration officer to process a passport.

I have never had an Immigration officer take 5 minutes to process my passport. More like 90-120 seconds. Mind you I have no need of a card. One of the few advantages of being disabled and running around in a wheelchair is I get to go through the Diplomat/VIP counter. Having been though the actual act of picture, read face page, read visa, stamp, stamp, more than 20 times, it has never taken more than 2 minutes.

Personally I would like having a card issued by the Immigration Police to carry as a form of ID.

I never carry a passport - I use my Thai drivers lisence & rarely leave the Kingdom...

It won't be of any benefit to you anyway, because if you rarely leave the Kingdom you wouldn't be eligible for the card.

sounds like the NEXUS card i got from US/Canadian immigration. i paid $80US for that card to make coming and going across the border take 2 minutes instead of anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. might as well give the world your fingerprints, but don't go doing something silly like killing a man and leaving a fingerprint. oh and, your government will know where you are and where you been.

I never carry a passport - I use my Thai drivers lisence & rarely leave the Kingdom...

It won't be of any benefit to you anyway, because if you rarely leave the Kingdom you wouldn't be eligible for the card.

wouldn't everyone be eligible for this card? how do you truly verify the promise you intend to come and go often?

I cany see a process where the holder of the passpot is not verified as the holder, in UK we have Iris which enable you to pass through once it sees your eyes.

If they gave them cards out and never verified who the passport holder was it would end up like UK where anyone gets in without documentation, unless they chipped the cards.

Sounds a good idea but need to see the process.

At what UK airport do they use iris scans? I'm from the UK and I am a frequent traveller mostly using Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heathrow and Gatwick and I've yet to come accross this. I know they have talked about bringing it in but I doubt that it's being used at this time.

Heathrow Terminal 3.I have used it several times over the past few months, cuts out the immigration queues, gets you to the baggage belts way before anyone else, I like looking at empty conveyor belts.