Crackdown On Alcohol On Public Holidays

george

Public health:

Chalerm takes on drinkers

Seeks to invoke legal article allowing more alcoholfree days

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesฌterday launched his camฌpaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays.

Drinking leads to crime and road accidents, resulting in death and injuries, Chalerm said, citing a 2006 report that 31 per cent, or 16 million, of the population were drinkers. Nine million of them drink alcohol on a regular basis.

He assigned the Disease Control Department to consider invoking Article 28 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act of 2008, which proฌhibits the sale of alcohol on days desฌignated by ministerial regulations.

The regulation should be issued in one month and include public holidays such as New Year's Day, Songkran and religious holidays, Chalerm said.

Dr Saman Futrakul, head of the department's tobacco and alcohol consumption control group, said the regulation had been drafted and submitted to deputy permanent secฌretary Paijit Warachit.

After getting the National Alcohol Consumption Control Committee's approval, the regulaฌtion would need to get Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's sign off and then it would be published in the Royal Gazette for implemenฌtation.

Violators would face up to six months in jail and/or up to a Bt10,000 fine.

The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am2pm and 5pmmidnight every day, except by those with the authority's perฌmission.

Chalerm also put the permanent secretary and Medical Services Department chief in charge of two projects.

One plan would make Thailand an AsiaPacific medical hub by selecting high potential hospitals - one in Bangkok and one in each major tourist city - within one month.

The other plan would expand the successful model of the integration of medical and drugrehabilitation policies in Sa Kaew to other provinces.

-- The Nation 2008-10-03

Stupid criminal politicians deciding what us people should or should not be able to do. That is just about the sum of their work.

How come we don't have any mechanisms to counter their ridiculous ideas?

It was his son who, sozzled beyond comprehension, shot somebody dead coz they stepped on his toe.

Maybe he's repenting...?

Public health:

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesฌterday launched his camฌpaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays.

Drinking leads to crime and road accidents, (Where young men in bars and nightclubs end up shooting innocent people?) resulting in death and injuries, Chalerm said, citing a 2006 report that 31 per cent, or 16 million, of the population were drinkers. Nine million of them drink alcohol on a regular basis.

He assigned the Disease Control Department to consider invoking Article 28 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act of 2008, which proฌhibits the sale of alcohol on days desฌignated by ministerial regulations.

The regulation should be issued in one month and include public holidays such as New Year's Day, Songkran and religious holidays, Chalerm said. Should be good for the tourism industry.

Dr Saman Futrakul, head of the department's tobacco and alcohol consumption control group, said the regulation had been drafted and submitted to deputy permanent secฌretary Paijit Warachit.

After getting the National Alcohol Consumption Control Committee's approval, the regulaฌtion would need to get Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's sign off and then it would be published in the Royal Gazette for implemenฌtation.

Violators would face up to six months in jail and/or up to a Bt10,000 fine.

The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am2pm and 5pmmidnight every day, except by those with the authority's perฌmission.

Chalerm also put the permanent secretary and Medical Services Department chief in charge of two projects.

One plan would make Thailand an AsiaPacific medical hub ( Yet another hub or a rebirth? ) by selecting high potential hospitals - one in Bangkok and one in each major tourist city - within one month.

The other plan would expand the successful model of the integration of medical and drug rehabilitation policies in Sa Kaew to other provinces.

-- The Nation 2008-10-03

:o:D :D :D :D :(:D:P:burp::P

Drinking leads to crime and road accidents, resulting in death and injuries, Chalerm said

Chalerm should know...

Pol Maj-General Pramote Pathumwong said Chalerm told him Wan was still suffering from injuries he received in the fight, which happened at the Route 66 Pub on Royal City Avenue. Wan allegedly entered the venue despite a parole condition barring him from entering night-entertainment establishments.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43218

At Least No One Was Murdered This Time, Chalerm's Boys At It Again

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=456407

Wan claims he is victim in pub fight

pic_6.jpg

Wan showing off his wound :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=231377

His brother Wan, who held down the police officer while Duang shot him

Chalerm Yoobamrung's sons have been linked to 12 alleged incidents of brawling, physical assault, shootings, or other incidents at bars and discotheques in a three year period, but have never been punished.

- BBC

Stupid criminal politicians deciding what us people should or should not be able to do. That is just about the sum of their work.

How come we don't have any mechanisms to counter their ridiculous ideas?

It was his son who, sozzled beyond comprehension, shot somebody dead coz they stepped on his toe.

Maybe he's repenting...?

" Don't you know who I am? Do you know who my father is?"

Oh no, that was another politician's son.

Drinking leads to crime and road accidents, resulting in death and injuries, Chalerm said

Chalerm should know...

Pol Maj-General Pramote Pathumwong said Chalerm told him Wan was still suffering from injuries he received in the fight, which happened at the Route 66 Pub on Royal City Avenue. Wan allegedly entered the venue despite a parole condition barring him from entering night-entertainment establishments.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43218

At Least No One Was Murdered This Time, Chalerm's Boys At It Again

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=456407

Wan claims he is victim in pub fight

pic_6.jpg

Wan showing off his wound :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=231377

His brother Wan, who held down the police officer while Duang shot him

Chalerm Yoobamrung's sons have been linked to 12 alleged incidents of brawling, physical assault, shootings, or other incidents at bars and discotheques in a three year period, but have never been punished.

- BBC

Very Very Good post!!! ..... I hope the BKK Post picks up on all these related news articles

But on a serious note, if this WAS past, we can Kiss Good Bye to the Winter High Season!!!!!

Public health:

-- The Nation 2008-10-03

So only their friends can sell booze after dark, corner the market and up the bribes potential.

No bars open except during 2pm and 5 pm. or midnight to 11 am.. HUH

Can you HEAR the howls now...

Thai's, the'll just learn to drink midnight to dawn and THEN DRIVE TO WORK.

Again a new minister doing his thing without thought for the consequences.

Somebody send him the history of Prohibition in the USA.

Edited by animatic

Thailand : The world hub of stupidity.

No, that's not fair and insulting to the vast majority of Thai people.

Chalerm Yobs'R'Us : The sphincter of world effluent. You can also insert other politicos names in the frame as he ain't alone.

This will do nothing for Thailand's alcohol problem as anyone with in excess of half a peanut for a brain knows that the vast majority of alcoholics do not drink in bars or nightclubs. This action will primarily affect legitimate businesses and tourism. No matter what the anti-drinking brigade think or say the majority of people on holiday like to, at some time or another, relax with a drink. They have worked for this moment and for a short period in their year they can let their hair down a little. Now they are going to be increasingly put off spending their valuable life time and hard earned cash in Thailand.

It will soon be easier to get a drink in Muslim Terranganu state in Malaysia than in Thailand. Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Viet Nam, Indonesia, Philippins et al must be rubbing their hands in delight.

The timing of it is exquisite. Right at the time people are tightening their belts due to the current crisis this numbskull wants to give them another reason NOT to visit Thailand. I wonder what those people at TAT are thinking right now?

I feel for those in the tourist business who will be hardest hit. The Thais will still be able to get their Lao Khaw and drunkeness will still be the order of the day over Songkhran but a holidaymaker on Samui will not be able to have a beer with his/her dinner.

Is October the 3rd the Thai version of our April 1st?

launched his camฌpaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays

Goddamned politicians with their ridiculous, logic-less ideas...!!! :D

Ban alcohol on holidays?? Ohh Lord, than I'll load my boze stock on Fridays, and I WILL drink on holidays, WHOLE holidays - if I want that. And I will share the drinks with my buddies, if they wish. Someone cares? Than sue me! :o

Reality check.The carnage on Thailand's roads is appalling, particularly on public holidays -Songkran being the worst.The proposed measure in this context is sensible.Few Thais I imagine would disagree.This kind of thread always brings out the worst on this forum.

Agreed in principle, but imo, the more effective deterrent would be increased punishments and checks for drink drivers, and not blanket alcohol bans.

Reality check.The carnage on Thailand's roads is appalling, particularly on public holidays -Songkran being the worst.The proposed measure in this context is sensible.Few Thais I imagine would disagree.This kind of thread always brings out the worst on this forum.

555555..... I know that Thais aren't generally know for their forethought and planning .. But I'm sure even the most Bahn Nork Somchai will remember to stock up on booze the day before the ban..

Give em some credit...... :o:D

You really think the road carnage is only about booze...? Proper training, safety awareness, stringent test and strong enforcement of road regs would make a more significant impact.. Certainly more so than some knee-jerk liquor sales ban.. But banning is easier than education...

No arguement with the fact that booze and bikes (in particular) dont mix. The point is I never crashed my heineken (fatally) during songkran but have seen far too many teenagers commit machismo suicide on their bikes after consuming a bottle or two of leo or chang.

Ban motorbikes during Songkran and the death toll with go down. Until then, trying to ban booze on the premise of public safety is purely hot air, mixed with a side of erectile dysfunction + I am too old to have fun anymore so ban fun + hypocracy.

555555..... I know that Thais aren't generally know for their forethought and planning .. But I'm sure even the most Bahn Nork Somchai will remember to stock up on booze the day before the ban..

Give em some credit...... :o:D

You really think the road carnage is only about booze...? Proper training, safety awareness, stringent test and strong enforcement of road regs would make a more significant impact.. Certainly more so than some knee-jerk liquor sales ban.. But banning is easier than education...

younghusband prooves with his post that he obviously has as little ability to think it through as the Thais prevented from drinking by a sales ban on a public holiday: zero. All others will have simply bought it the day before or gone to the local shop in the Soi and buy it on their holiday anyway.

The only people hit by this ban are tourists, which might not be able to plan their fun nights out when hit with sudden, unexplainable entertainment venue closures.

But great thinking, younghusband!

In some countries they can send you to war, but you have to wait a few years before you are allowed to have a drink, because you are not mature enough ( 21). Talking about stupidity.

This is Thailand, if you donot like it, get out and go home to the oooooh so good home countries, where everything is much much better.

And if you cannot live without a drink for a few days, you have a problem, and I mean a drinking problem.

No it will not have the desired effect as everyone here knows, unfortunately it has not been thought out.

However it's not the end of the world, in Western Australia we have restricted trading hours and if you want alcohol you work around it usually by buying takeaways prior to the time.

Alcohol I think all would agree does have an effect on the road carnage, however in Thailand it would be more to do with little or no driver training.

Maybe the prioritys need to shuffled around.

The predictable response to my comments on an eminently sensible measure rather proves my point about this kind of thread bringing out the worst.Of course the measure doesn't solve the problem and is indeed only a small part of a raft of initiatives that are needed, of which education is the most important.Of course there will be alcohol fuelled deaths where the booze was purchased earlier.But the measure will also save lives as well.It's obviously not nearly enough by itself but it sends a signal and it's a start.When as in Thailand you have a catastrophic road death problem you do what you can.Frankly I doubt whether most Thais give a toss what a few intinerant farang boozehounds have to say on the subject, and to be honest neither do I.

Majority of road accidents (bikers on small country roads) happen to people who will not be affected by ban on alcohol sales at Tesco Lotus or even 7 elevens.

Otherwise I'm all for it. Todays it not a holiday, right?

In some countries they can send you to war, but you have to wait a few years before you are allowed to have a drink, because you are not mature enough

Clever policy - mature people won't sign up for the army, get them while they are still young and stupid.

Are Sundays considered ... a ''public holiday'' ?

So for new year 2008/2009 it will be a soda in a champagne glass ?? never tried it before ...

80% less tourists expected for the 'high' season (last week stats) ... this kind of news will definitely improve the percentage ...?!?

The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am2pm and 5pmmidnight every day, except by those with the authority's perฌmission

but this would be 'tea money'!, of course ... no alcohol involved

Public health:

The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am2pm and 5pm midnight every day, except by those with the authority's perฌmission.

If the Nation's reporting is correct, this would mean no alcohol sales at all as these are currently the only times when alcohol can legally be purchased. I assume this should read .....sales other than from ..........

There could be a number of other misquotes in there as well, the Nation's English editing not being quite what it should be these days.

As usual the Thai Government is not thinking things through and this would be a disaster for the tourism industry, yet would not affect the drink/driving problem at all as it is only the larger stores that currently follow the rules anyway. If a 16 year old wants to buy beer or whisky in the local village at three in the afternoon it is not a problem! FACT!

The only way the drink/drive problem will change in Thailand is with a real shake up of the police force and that just ain't going to happen.

The predictable response to my comments on an eminently sensible measure rather proves my point about this kind of thread bringing out the worst.Of course the measure doesn't solve the problem and is indeed only a small part of a raft of initiatives that are needed, of which education is the most important.Of course there will be alcohol fuelled deaths where the booze was purchased earlier.But the measure will also save lives as well.It's obviously not nearly enough by itself but it sends a signal and it's a start.When as in Thailand you have a catastrophic road death problem you do what you can.Frankly I doubt whether most Thais give a toss what a few intinerant farang boozehounds have to say on the subject, and to be honest neither do I.

Then why comment, mo*on.

launched his camฌpaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays

Goddamned politicians with their ridiculous, logic-less ideas...!!! :D

Ban alcohol on holidays?? Ohh Lord, than I'll load my boze stock on Fridays, and I WILL drink on holidays, WHOLE holidays - if I want that. And I will share the drinks with my buddies, if they wish. Someone cares? Than sue me! :o

People will stock up at home before the holliday.

The ONLY things this will stop is

a ) going out for more when stocks run short

b ) Tourists getting anything to drink in their resorts.

c ) People never informed there will be a holiday getting anything in advance.

Which would likely include 99% of tourists.

No tourist except the rare teatotal will want to go vacation in a place

when you never KNOW if it IS a holiday or not, so you NEVER know

if you will get a beer or wine with dinner or not.

Let alone going to Green Mango or Reggae bar for a night of dancing.

Just think of the farangs on election days prevented from having a round,

in places where NO THAIS drink... Maybe a few girls with boyfriends,

who won't got to vote anyway in 90% of the cases.

Go out for a couple, and then find oh it's and election?

Or it's a holliday? What blinkin hoilliday??? No one told ME there was a fekin' holiday.

Hey I'm on MY holliday. No work in the AM I want a BEER!

AH, but won't this protect the down trodden Thai ladies in the resorts from

having to date nasty farang men: the horror of it all.

They will no be free to go back to Issan and eat rocks for awhile longer.

I am waiting to see the politician named Nitwitwith Nocluwhatsup.

He will be a national standard bearer for the breed.

Edited by animatic

Maybe the esteemed Khun Chalerm is looking for a nice little sweetener from the booze industry so that he may 're- think' his proposal.

He was probably going to propose a similar measure when he was Interior minister but got booted out before he was able to do it.

Whatever, he hasn't got a lot of time to make a quick buck, as this government is predicted to fall soon, so hence his cunning plan to make few fast bucks.

I frankly doubt if it will go through. Let's see.

Go out for a couple, and then find oh it's and election?

Or it's a holliday? What blinkin hoilliday??? No one told ME there was a fekin' holiday.

Hey I'm on MY holliday. No work in the AM I want a BEER!

BTW, bro, you can ALWAYS get your beer at the nearest VILLA MARKET shop. They do not follow those meaningless "bans" - and you can get your Heineken, Black Label or whatever - at ANY time ANY day.

Have checked myself - many times since previous "alcohol ban" came to power. :o