Starbucks Nana - Real Hoot

skippybangkok

Was at Starbucks Nana today with my laptop doing some work. There was a western guy there, late 30's, was having a great old time talking with his virtual friend which no one could see except him - walking around / hand movements and all for at least an hour ( in between getting more coffee for him self )

I was expecting the Candid Camera people to pop out at any moment, was not the case though. Came across as a total Schizo. (Herein after referred to as Mr. Schizo )

A bald headed subsequently brit walked in, and for some reason felt he needed to tell me about his story ( bunch of Indians who tried to pick pocket him up the road ) - with Mr. Schizo who has just plonked hims self in the couch next to me. Mr. Schizo changed from Mr. Schizo to an amazing / relatively normal conversation with the brit, and was so intense and seemed excited to have a real person to talk to.

Anyway, the Brit left, and Mr. Schizo went happily back to talking to his virtual buddy.

All the Thai women high tailed it out of the 2nd floor quick smart.

Had a real urge to ask him about his friend - but alas, left it for another day.

Think i am gonna lay off the caffeine !

Edited by skippybangkok

Wireless / Bluetooth hands free phone ?

People aren't shy about using them. I have, on occasion mistakenly thought someone was talking to me when using one of these devices.

Of course it could be plain old schizophrenia

oh my god!!! that scares me! :o

See, I WAS RIGHT! COFFEE MAKES YOU CRAZY! Stay away from the stuff, it turns your brain to jelly.

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of The People's Alliance for Ice Cream (now incorporating The Popular People's Front for the Freedom to Eat Cake).

Wireless / Bluetooth hands free phone ?

People aren't shy about using them. I have, on occasion mistakenly thought someone was talking to me when using one of these devices.

Of course it could be plain old schizophrenia

Thought that might be the case too, but it was not. Since he was walking around, i confirmed there was no blue tooth headset ( looked for it too)

Since he plonked himself next to me, and was talking garbled..........

For me the interesting part was wondering what he could see or hear and wondering what was going on in his head.

it seems like many people dont know the meaning of the word virtual.

the word you simpletons are looking for is "imaginary", not virtual.

Did your imaginary friends tell you to post that? It seems that it would be difficult to get real ones, with that attitude. At least those 'simpletons' know how to capitalize. In addition, they haven't committed many apostrophe crimes.

To get back on topic, I think a coffee shop that had virtual conversation partners would make trillions. It'd be like a yuppie Nana Plaza.

BFD!

Did your imaginary friends tell you to post that? It seems that it would be difficult to get real ones, with that attitude.

Touche'! :o

When you can speak and read 5 languages, try that worn out line again. :o Had people all my life who could only speak English try that line on me, must be proud of themselves that they can spell correctly or have better vocab in one language.

For the simpletons amongst us, does anyone really know what these people see / hear ? Do they see people in front of them which are real to them?

Edited by skippybangkok

oh my god!!! that scares me! :o

See, I WAS RIGHT! COFFEE MAKES YOU CRAZY! Stay away from the stuff, it turns your brain to jelly.

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of The People's Alliance for Ice Cream (now incorporating The Popular People's Front for the Freedom to Eat Cake).

come on, dad

it does not make me crazy.

i was born to be crazy :D

An ole man has stopped me once in Melb and said he could see "Mr. Jesus" with me. And he started to talk to "someone invisible (to me at least)" next to me.

At first, hel_l yeah, it was spooky as it was at 5 am.

and then, he asked for a few bucks to help him to live -- said that it was Mr. Jesus's desire - and I was supposed to obey.

So I told him that whoever he saw it certainly was not Mr. Jez as I'm a poof and Mr.Jez is very well-known that he hates poofs -- no way in heaven that Mr.Jez would walk with a fairy at 5 am in ruddy the morning on Gay Street like this.

:o

Apologies in advance if it might be inappropiate for some people -- but it's just my actual exp with Mr.Talk-To-No-One-Visible

Edited by Tumbo

I think I know who you're talking about. He appears normal looking, generally clean shaven, and dressed ok? His name is Jeff, and he is crazy. I don't understand how or where he sleeps or cleans himself. I have a friend who sees him every day, and usually gives him a couple baht. I've spoken with him too. Lately, he seems to be going off the deep end. Paranoid. I would suggest staying away from him. It's a shame. I wonder what happens with foreigners like that.

I think I know who you're talking about. He appears normal looking, generally clean shaven, and dressed ok? His name is Jeff, and he is crazy. I don't understand how or where he sleeps or cleans himself. I have a friend who sees him every day, and usually gives him a couple baht. I've spoken with him too. Lately, he seems to be going off the deep end. Paranoid. I would suggest staying away from him. It's a shame. I wonder what happens with foreigners like that.

Yes, seemed well groomed, and had 3 cups of starbucks coffee, and apparently does visa runs......... so he must have some money from some where. Did not come across as poor.

In the beginning, he was sitting infront, and had his neck turned almost 180 deg, and was looking at me the whole time ( i am talking at least 20 mins ), to a point I felt like getting up and asking if there was anything of interest . But i noticed he was talking to himself constantly, and figured he must be nutty, and let him be.

He was freaking the women out totally.

I had barely sat down when I heard a voice from the other bathroom stall saying, "How are you?"

I don't know what got into me, but I answered, somewhat embarrassed, "Doin' just fine."

And the other person said, "So what are you up to?" (What kind of a question is that?)

At that point, I was thinking, "This is too bizarre," so I said, "Uh, I'm like you - just traveling."

At this point I was just trying to get out as fast as I could when I heard another question. "Can I come over?"

O.K., this question was just too weird for me, but I figured I could just be polite and end the conversation.

I answered: "No. I'm a little busy right now." Then I heard the person say, nervously: "Listen, I'll have to call you back.

There's an idiot in the next stall who keeps answering all my questions."