Pumice Stone And Paraffin

Sledge71

I'm looking for pumice stone, has anyone seen it anywhere? initially a little bit but possible a lot in the future.. Any information would be helpful. Has anyone seen it in beauty salons or at the supermarket for removal of hard skin? This would suffice for the time being as a sample.

Also looking for paraffin. I have found the wax version and an odorless liquid that's supposed to be paraffin.

The type I'm looking for is more oily. The type that would be used in lamps, I'm no expert but I think in the States you would call it kerosene. Can't be hard to find but is when you don't know where to look !

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Sledge

Thanks - do you remember whether it was the red/brown stuff that crumbles easily or the hard white/grey stuff?

I've found the red/brown volcanic stone but it's not really pumice as i know it. I would still like to get the hard grey/white type that people would use to remove hard skin.

I'm not too familiar with Warorot market ( it's big ) can you let me know roughly where to look. I'm guessing this has the correct type from what's been written.

I don't know the 20baht market either, is that the place next to the Chinese embassy?

Thanks again

Sledge.

Can someone help Sledge with a street name or map here ?

What I think of as the core part of Warorot Market is entered from a street filled with songthaews & tuk tuks. There's a gold shop to the left of the main entrance.

On the ground floor (or 1st floor if your counting system begins with 1st) are fresh fruit & veg, teas, herbs and more. On the next floor up, you'll see a section of stores which aren't fabric or clothing stores like most but sell cosmetics, soaps and so on. I think I have seen the pumice you want there.

Do you know how to say pumice in Thai ? (Sorry, I don't). Can you take an example of what you are looking for ? Warorot can be a little overwhelming but if you ask about, the vendors will lead you to the store you want, or at least the most likely suspect. They all seem to have a good idea of who sells what/knows whom.

Other threads we've had on the location of the Indian spice vendor and the sewing machinists may help you "orient" yourself .

• 9 months later...

If you don't want to wander about Warorot looking for pumice stones (I've seen them in baskets at random locations there), then you can go to the personal grooming tools section of Central Dept store at KSK. It's near the entrance just above the outside entrance to Tops off Huay Kaew. Much cheaper at Warorot. They seem to be the same oval-shaped grey pumice stones, but the ones at Central are in fancy packages.

I've looked all over CM for high quality lamp oil and ended up buying some mailorder from TheAngelLight.com people. Their AL 9000 oil is very light and burns wonderfully in my tall glass oil candles. Their shipping charge is very cheap and it comes from Bangkok within a week of ordering. This is oil for lighting lamps used indoors. I don't know about kerosene. I think it shouldn't be used indoors.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Deliboy, however paraffin for lamps is more akin to kerosene - I am looking for solid candle wax for making candles. Have looked at the market in the corner of Suthep and Canal road (same one you are talking about?) but not been able to get it.

I have previously bought parrafin for lamps at the market at the top of Suthip Road on the left just before the irrigation canal road.

Thanks Deliboy, however paraffin for lamps is more akin to kerosene - I am looking for solid candle wax for making candles. Have looked at the market in the corner of Suthep and Canal road (same one you are talking about?) but not been able to get it.

I have previously bought parrafin for lamps at the market at the top of Suthip Road on the left just before the irrigation canal road.

I used to manufacture candles in the States and purchased all my paraffin in bulk (55 lbs cases/five 11 lbs sheets per case) from oil company distribution center warehouses. I would think that Shell or one of the other major oil companies would have a distribution center in or around Chiang Mai.

Good luck and let me know if you need any hints on manufacturing equipment or production, PM would be ok.

I used to manufacture candles in the States and purchased all my paraffin in bulk (55 lbs cases/five 11 lbs sheets per case) from oil company distribution center warehouses. I would think that Shell or one of the other major oil companies would have a distribution center in or around Chiang Mai.

Good luck and let me know if you need any hints on manufacturing equipment or production, PM would be ok.

Thanks Bob! I'm not going after manufacturing though - just need a kg or 2 for waxing bicycle chains.