Thai Music

Radius

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

อะ ตู โกราซอน สู่กลางใจเธอ is a good one and 'bpop maak' at the moment (doesn't really translate well into English, so I don't know what to tell you, but copy and paste in Google and you should be able to hear it somewhere). It's by Rose, from the album 'My Inspiration.' It's a cover of a classic Thai song and pretty much identical to the original except she sings bits of it in Spanish...

mk

I let some of my (musician) friends from back home listen to Bodyslam.

They all agree that this is a good band.

Quality musicians they said.

Very good beat, with a solid drummer.

But of course, it might not be the type of music everyone prefer.

Worth listening to, just in case.

Absolutely worth buying a CD, if you are here.

The price is low anyway, and if you dont like it, give it to a Thai friend, whom will most likely love it.

I let some of my (musician) friends from back home listen to Bodyslam.

The price is low anyway, and if you dont like it, give it to a Thai friend, whom will most likely love it.

Hahahahaha. Don't think I know a Thai who doesn't love Bodyslam. I'm also liking Kanom Jean's (what a great name) ระหว่างเพื่อนกับแฟน but then I've got a weakness for sickley-sweet Thai pop songs. No idea why, but if it's in Thai it's fine. If this stuff was in English it would make me puke...

What are old time favorites?

โดมทอง_01....................sweet but sad .....loving someone now, tomorrow, to the eternity, and even after the death...GOSH

จังหวะหัวใจ - Jung Wa Hua Jai ..........good for dancing, modern

Yut Trong Ni Thi Thoe - FORD.........u r the the only one in my eyes.....something like that.....makes U want to fall in LOVE again

Now very very sweet and SAD SAD song.......U can cry a bucket here :o

Koo Kum OST ------if you watch the movie, U will know the lyric

Sornram & Ann - "Tae Pang Korn" .........WOW 3 lifetime of LOOOOOVE!!!!

Edited by teacup

i would suggest Da Endorphine....highest selling female artist in thailand at the moment has great hits recent and classics....

Second this. Check out in particular: ไม่รู้จักฉัน ไม่รู้จักเธอ and ได้ยินไหม

i would suggest Da Endorphine....highest selling female artist in thailand at the moment has great hits recent and classics....

Second this. Check out in particular: ไม่รู้จักฉัน ไม่รู้จักเธอ and ได้ยินไหม

great song choice....... clarories blah blah is great! ^___^

I'll admit it right away: I know nothing of Thai music.

What is hot?

What is popular?

What is good?

Please enlighten me.

You can go here:

http://www.ethaimusic.com/archives/index.php

Click on the bands you are interested on the Left Column. They have almost every big Thai Artist out now. It's great, because you can listen to the songs, get lyrics translated to English, as well as phonetically, so you can actually sing along (Karaoke).

What is Good? Well that's a loaded question. Because, some things I like, people probably think is crap. And vice versa, things other people listen to, I think is crap.

Here's what I like:

Metal: Ebola and Retrospect

Hard Rock: Silly Fools, Big Ass, BodySlam, Clash, Hangman

Pop: Da Endorphine (and her old band just Endorphine)

Rock: Modern Dog

As for concerts here in Chiang Mai. I've seen all the bands listed above. Many play product sponsored festivals (Macona Trio, 100 Pipers, Singha, etc.). If you look around though, you often see posters advertising smaller club shows. Last week I saw Da Endorphine at the Mandalay, and a couple of weeks before that, saw Retrospect at the same place.

Anyway, check out the site I mentioned above and see what bands you like. If you like one in particular, ask around, as you may be able to check them out live (wherever you are staying). If you live in Bangkok, I know all the bands above play there often (as they all live there). Unfortunately for music (Fortunate for every thing else:-)) bands don't come up here to Chiang Mai as often, so it's more of a challenge to find good shows. Oh yeah, many have Myspace accounts and you can interact with them through that as well.

Hope that helps.

I'll admit it right away: I know nothing of Thai music.

What is hot?

What is popular?

What is good?

Please enlighten me.

You can go here:

http://www.ethaimusic.com/archives/index.php

So on my MP3 player is:

Guided by Voices

Oliver Tremor Control

Communist Pop of the 1970s, Vol.2

Monkey

Todd Rundgren

Brian Eno

Scott Walker

Steve Reich

Star Wars- The Musical

Peking Opera of the poems of Mao Tse Tung

Egyptian Pop of the 1970s

Lambchop

Ute Lemper

Divine Comedy

Vietcong anthems

Magnetic Fields

David Bowie

and other stuff...

So what Thai pop will I like...

It would need to be bizarre, orchestral or hyper-minimalist, almost certainly virtually unknown in Thailand, and definitely does not have a 'snap drum' backing track...

Any suggestions? :o

It would need to be bizarre, orchestral or hyper-minimalist, almost certainly virtually unknown in Thailand, and definitely does not have a 'snap drum' backing track...

Er... I'd say probably give Thai pop music a miss. Kraftwerk or Ryuichi Sakamoto it ain't. You've got some interesting stuff there. Bowie and Brian Eno - Low - genius...

mk

Er... I'd say probably give Thai pop music a miss. Kraftwerk or Ryuichi Sakamoto it ain't. You've got some interesting stuff there. Bowie and Brian Eno - Low - genius...

mk

http://www.everythingthathappens.com/order.html

check it out - Eno+ David Byrne

Check out the following for some Jah Wobble(of Public Image fame) doing a great Mor Lam Dub.

http://www.monsoon-country.org/?page_id=8

He's on Program 7 - no.6

There's some other awesome World music here. My personal favourite is a Scottish one(not biased) - program 11, no.5

Some really interesting stuff on there, thanks for the link. You might also like to check some of this stuff out, if you haven't already. Yeah, Eno & Byrne - brilliant.

mk

Num Ratchapat by Damrong Wongtorng. About a young man in debt dreaming of being rich one day.

Almost thought this was worth a peak... until I realised I had accidentally been listening to this and the suggestion above http://www.ethiopiques.info/ at the same time... :D It sounded pretty wierd. Not exactly Bowie or Eno but it was kind of wacky to hear them both at once... :o