++ Help Requested - Passport Held By Shop Owner ++

Packu2

I just returned from Koh Tao. Upon returning an ATV to the shop owner they have tried to hit me up for 24K baht for what amounts to a few superficial scratches on an old and piece of crap bike. I refused to pay that ridiculous amount. I did offer 10K baht just to get rid of the situation but that was refused. The shop owner bragged about doing this to other tourist and said she would have my passport BLOCKED and I couldn't leave Thailand. The shop also mentioned that if I dont pay that she can sell it for a lot of money (black market).

We went to the police who did nothing. They made a report but no real action taken. MY wife later called (Thai) and the police told her that this shop will charge at least 4 times what is a reasonable fee. The police report just states that the owner will return my passport when I pay 24K baht.

QUESTIONS:

1. Can I get a replacement at the US Embassy given this situation?

2. Can I be BLOCKED from leaving Thailand?

3. Should I raise this as a security issue (black market thing)?

My options appear to be

1) report to embassy as described above

2) just report as lost passport

Any suggestions or follow up questions are appreciated

Edited by Packu2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That passport is the property of the US govt.

Why leave your passport with thugs or with anyone, for that matter!

No sympathy, sorry.

If you read the above post no sympathy was asked for.... :o

In the past I have refused tosurrender my passport. But my

buddy did and for some unexplainable reason I did as well.

The passport does not belong to you, it belongs to your government and therefore can not be used as security when hiring equipment. I'd suggest you contact your embassy and tell them exactly what happened. The store owner threatening to sell it on the black market would really peak their interest and get the ball rolling. Be advised that due to you allowing your passport to pass into the hands of an unauthorised person, your embassy may give you a temporary travel document and blacklist you from obtaining a new passport in the future. (worst case scenario)

Try this,

Take yourself down to the ATM, get 24k out, slide on over to the shop and tell them your willing to pay the 24k, however due to their threat about selling your passport you want to inspect it fully before you hand the cash over. Whilst inspecting the passport you notice a few scratches on it & as its a very special passport they forfiet the 24k, then make a quick stage right type exit. Give it a go, normally the easiest solutions work, worse case scenario....he wont let you inspect the passport. :o

1) Report your passport as stolen, not lost

2) Go to your embassy with that report and request a new passport. You can tell your story there if you like, but it is not the embassy's task to do anything about it.

Lessons learned

1) Carry a photocopy of your passport to use for this type of situation (rental, etc)..."Sorry, this is all that I have with me"

2) When renting a motor vehicle, always do a walkaround with an agent, noting any existing damage, scratches, etc.

I seriously doubt that she can have your passport "blocked" (or BLOCKED)

2) Go to your embassy with that report and request a new passport. You can tell your story there if you like, but it is not the embassy's task to do anything about it.

Lessons learned

1) Carry a photocopy of your passport to use for this type of situation (rental, etc)..."Sorry, this is all that I have with me"

2) When renting a motor vehicle, always do a walkaround with an agent, noting any existing damage, scratches, etc.

Folllow the above

Lessons learned

Thanks but if I report as stolen, then switch stories will that not raise a red flag at the embassy...by the way. My passport is on Koh Tao and I am in Bangkok now.

Your passport can NOT be blocked. The embassy can get you a new passport. You should however report this to the embassy that this particular shop owner is blackmailing you for you passport and threatening to sell it on the black market. The US will be very interested in their dealings. The US embassy works closely with the Thai police, and when the US government requests something it is carried through. It is known as politics.

sorry, i didnt realise you had already left Koh Tao.

You definately should goto the US Embassy & tell em exactly what happened.

Whenever I hire a bike in phuket or where ever, I always tell them I dont have my passport with me, live in Bangkok & they always accept my international drivers licence as security. Funny thing is, I always give them an expired international drivers licence, that way I have the current one with me when the police want a roadside chat. My GF always photographs the hirebikes at time of rental, normally with one of the goofballs standing next to it.

hindsight is a fantastic thing......GOOD LUCK!

Just report it as stolen...effectively it has been since it is no longer in your possession.

If you have to confront the shop owner again tell her that the passport is the property of the US Government and you will inform the embassy that she has stolen it if she doesn't return it and that the US Government will report her to the police and press criminal charges against her for theft of US Government property.

I don't think she will want to deal with that. But you may have to back all this up with your original 10,000 baht offer.

I've been asked by the Thai police for my passport on a number of occasions. I refuse to hand it over saying it belongs to my government and am allowed only to hand it over to a consular officer. Never had to give it up yet.

Edited by sibeymai

thanks for all the quick and informed replies....

now my wife has 2 police friends and a lawyer friend on the case! I hope to get this resolved through these channels without having the embassy involved. I will report the black market thing....

please all..continue to give me your advice - in case my wifes channels come out empty.

thanks to all!!!!!!!

Edited by Packu2

Next time, rent from a falang. :o

Thailand would be a paradise if falang ran the place...too bad there was never any colonization here.

on an interesting note...my friend and I had a Burmese waitress as we waited for ferryout of hel_l and we both noticed a marked

difference in personality and "where with all" she had when compared to almost any thai. I also found the same thing when visiting

Cambodia. Thais really are lagging in terms of personality, knowledge, social skills(with foreigners) when comapared to other SE Asians.

Its quite noticeable when you have lived here for a while.

Lessons learned

What he said.

Although to be pedantic. Is a passport not reported as lost OR stolen, by that I mean there is not 1 form for lost and another for stolen. I have had to replace 2 passports and each time it was a case of having it in (Wherever), and upon arriving in Bangkok it was missing. I might have lost them and they might also have been stolen, I just don't know for sure.

I'd avoid telling the Embassy that it is with a rental guy as it may open a can of worms for you, just keep it simple. You also have to make a police report to get a new one, again keep it simple and either way the old passport is cancelled.

Are US passports fitted with a micro-chip? My British passport is which makes it pretty much worthless on the black market because it is just about impossible to tamper with. The bloke is probably giving you BS about selling it, or if he does try then he might get a surprise when he is offered 0 baht for it.

Oh, don't be a numpty again and learn from your lesson.

I wouldn't misrepresent the story at all to the embassy. I know someone who was once asked whether he would complete a lie detector test by the US embassy in Israel when he reported his stolen - he had sold it. He eventually broke down, told the truth and it caused him a lot of problems.

Report it to the embassy as stolen and give the reasons why. The passport is not yours, you should have not handed it over, but that being said do not go to the embassy and give some BS story about it being lost etc...will only make it problems later on.

You cant be blocked from leaving Thailand

I wouldn't misrepresent the story at all to the embassy. I know someone who was once asked whether he would complete a lie detector test by the US embassy in Israel when he reported his stolen - he had sold it. He eventually broke down, told the truth and it caused him a lot of problems.

I agree. Tell the Embassy the truth; you will possibly get a Laissez Passer document***, allowing you to travel back to the States whilst the Embassy will -maybe- eventually try to phone with the police on Ko Tao and try to get it back, OR have the Ko Tao Polcie phoned by someone important from BKK...

If not; bad luck but don't pay.

IF you do, they will try again with every single tourist. :o

*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laissez-passer

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I am not sure what police you went to down south but I reckon your most legal and logical (to the US authorities) would be.

1- Return to Koh Tao and get a report filed with the TOURIST Police, NOT the regular guys.

2- Return to Bangkok and report the situation truthfully to your Embassy.

Lost/stolen passports UNIVERSALLY require verifiable evidence that it has actually been reported to the local police.

Trying to manipulate the story with your embassy to make you look less of a <deleted> will only make you look an even bigger <deleted>.

"I despair these days... you buys them books and you sends them to school....."

thanks for all the quick and informed replies....

now my wife has 2 police friends and a lawyer friend on the case! I hope to get this resolved through these channels without having the embassy involved. I will report the black market thing....

please all..continue to give me your advice - in case my wifes channels come out empty.

thanks to all!!!!!!!

You got all the advice needed, after that I hope all the best for you, the latest constellation may see you finally paying someone! :o

Edited by Samuian

Well anyway. It seem that the police will get a commotion from this deal as well, im afraid you need to break some typ of deal with Thugs, make sure you know where your passport is located 1st.. still in there office store? Then the Hit will be fast and clean. Or pay 24 K..

Or Just like show some tears that you only have 18 K and your sister is sick back home.(something like that anyways)

Good luck

Edited by RakJungTorlae

Isn't the visa as well in your passport? How will it work out on leaving Thailand?

Provided he goes to the embassy and reports this without BS them, they will have the channels to talk to the Thai immigration and police, who should be able to get his passport back, failing which he can be issued with emergency documentation.

The point is he needs to talk to his embassy as soon as possible who should be able to help him on this ,and this being Thailand, I will bet you this is not the first time they have had to deal with something like this and will know the process to go through to resolve this.

He is now walking around without a passport, and if for some reason he gets sprung by the BiB wanting to see his passport (how ever unlikely this is) he could find himself locked up as well..

Just a guess the Bike rental place is at the top of the High street in Mae haad on the right hand side....? (looking up hill)

If so you wont get it back . Just Tell your embassy the truth... Believe me the police are equally as pissed off with them ,but I'm guessing you as everyone before you signed a rental agreement stating the charges.

I feel for you but don't waste your energy accept it and get a new passport its easier than dealing with these <deleted>"""wits.

On another note apart from the a++ hole bike rental did you enjoy Koh tao.