Is Pattaya Dead Right Now?

Ulysses G.

Also the growing popularity of Angeles City in the Philippines, without the closing-time restrictions of Pattaya, and Subic Bay, with better seafront, and Cebu/Boracay/Palawan for family tourism - all cheaper than Patters - will not help recovery.

The only way to improve income in Pattaya is to go backwards and relax all the restrictions currently being enforced - make Fun City more fun again. I'll start a Party City Party for the nect elections.

I have been to the Philippines – Angeles City – once, back in August for one week with some friends. The first couple of days were very quiet, but after that it seemed to be buzzing for the remainder of my stay.

I have to say it was the most enjoyable week I have had in a long time.

It was such a refreshing change to get away from the petty restrictions in Pattaya, and find a place that is open for business 24/7. There are no smoking restrictions (I don't smoke but my friends do), most of the bars are run by friendly westerners who almost always buy you at least one round of drinks on the house; the bar fines are around 1,000 Baht for all night of which the girls get 50% and no need to pay any more; all the girls speak good English and you can actually have an intelligent conversation with them over breakfast; on average I would say the girls are younger, more beautiful and their bodies are in much better shape than their cousins in Pattaya – an incredibly high percentage have not had babies, and around 15% are genuine virgins. They also dress better – classier - than the Pattaya girls. Drinks are much cheaper – a beer can be as little as 30 Baht, and even ladies' drinks are quite cheap.

I found the overall atmosphere much friendlier than Pattaya, and all the mama sans and girls are absolutely charming – with each other and punters alike. The hotel staff can't do enough for you, and all speak excellent English.

Tropo may well be correct that business is down in PI too, but I have a hunch that when the disparity between Pattaya today and Angeles City today becomes more widely known, then an increasing amount of the sexpat trade will be heading out to visit the charming catholic ladies of PI rather than the bullshit Buddhist ladies of LOS.

In many ways Angeles City reminded me of Pattaya some 30 years ago, in the sense of friendliness and lack off stupid restrictions. I doubt if Pattaya is going to change much any time soon, and as a result, I suspect trade will continue to dwindle and the number of tourist related businesses will contract sharply.

Pattaya will never die, but it will probably end up as a pale shadow of its former self.

I've been wanting to go to the PI because of the good things i have heard. My only concern is my family and friends who live in Pattaya. I'm afraid I might like the PI so much that I won't come back to Pattaya. Essentially, I have two weeks holiday every four months and I work hard. When I come on holiday, I don't want to experience bar closures (for religious holidays or political elections).

My 2 satangs on Angeles and PI(pronounced closer to bye in Thai)

I was in Angeles around 2000 and found it overrated...many Philipinos - especially the lookers -

won't even talk to you unless you are an American serviceman or Japanese businessmen. You

think Thais are golddiggers? ha. (Borecai and Manila were OK)

Pattaya is a far more interesting city than Angeles.

As for Pi, I liked it but catholic ladies? More of a muslim crowd I hought. There were lots of hippy types too but the immigration changes of a couple years ago put a damper on that.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you one thing; if i do come to Pattaya on my next vacation, I will certainly not spend money like I have in the past. No more ringing the bell and no more one-bedroom suites with multiple "joiners". It will be happy hour drinking with hopefully cheap drink and an 800THB room.

My net worth has gone down by 50% in the last month and I just can't rationalize spending the money that I have in past trips.

I would think that many of the visitors (those who have the available funds) to Thailand will act in the same manner...

I will tell you one thing; if i do come to Pattaya on my next vacation, I will certainly not spend money like I have in the past. No more ringing the bell and no more one-bedroom suites with multiple "joiners". It will be happy hour drinking with hopefully cheap drink and an 800THB room.

My net worth has gone down by 50% in the last month and I just can't rationalize spending the money that I have in past trips.

I would think that many of the visitors (those who have the available funds) to Thailand will act in the same manner...

You must be Australian???

I have to say that my net worth in Thail baht has disintegrated over the last year from 20million baht to about 8 million and still dropping.........

I wasn't ready to retire but was thinking i only had 5 years more to go but now who knows .....

I have to say that my net worth in Thail baht has disintegrated over the last year from 20million baht to about 8 million and still dropping.........

I wasn't ready to retire but was thinking i only had 5 years more to go but now who knows .....

I know the situation is not looking good for the Aussie dollar right now, but there's no need to exaggerate.

If you had 20 million a year ago, that would be worth about 14.48 million now. If you had 20 million at the peak exchange rate in July this year, that would still be worth 13.16 million at last trade today.

Your estimation of your own personal wealth is out by 6.48 million.

I've been wanting to go to the PI because of the good things i have heard. My only concern is my family and friends who live in Pattaya. I'm afraid I might like the PI so much that I won't come back to Pattaya. Essentially, I have two weeks holiday every four months and I work hard. When I come on holiday, I don't want to experience bar closures (for religious holidays or political elections).

My 2 satangs on Angeles and PI(pronounced closer to bye in Thai)

A couple more satangs worth.

The grass is always greener...... I have spent a lot of time in the PI, including Angeles, what is in Angeles, 2 streets of excellent bars, I f you are a (preferabley young) alcholic pussy hound you can have a great time, for a week or 2, then it gets kind of boring, to say the least, theres nothing else.

You can go out and eat some fine Philipino food, were it to be available - anywhere, the mercenary ladies who's sole ambition in lfe is to get a green card, will bleed you dry with their excellent use of the English language, they make their Thai counterparts look like "Angels"

Violent crime is rampant, not many plusses in my book, Pattaya may not be paradise, unless you compare it to Angeles!

I know the situation is not looking good for the Aussie dollar right now, but there's no need to exaggerate.

If you had 20 million a year ago, that would be worth about 14.48 million now. If you had 20 million at the peak exchange rate in July this year, that would still be worth 13.16 million at last trade today.

Your estimation of your own personal wealth is out by 6.48 million.

That is assuming that he is only referring to detrimental Currency movement.

I, for example, have lost over 50% of my net worth in investments and dodgy Icelandic banks in the last year.

Add to that the Baht rate at the moment - and my trip next week to Patts will be more low-key than normal.

I've heard it can get boring...in the P.I. and that you have two main "party" streets, but if they are fun bars, that is good with me. I think Pattaya is the place to live (long term) and the PI is the place to party (short term). Also, I used to work with a Filippena who was one of the most beautiful asian girls I have ever seen.

I actually lived in Pattaya a few years ago and I liked it all things considered.

I am American, but I drink like an Australian! :D:o

I've lost so much money in the stock market. Before the "crash", I was thinking about taking some time off and live in Pattaya again but now, there is not way I would feel comfortable quitting work.

I've lost so much money in the stock market. Before the "crash", I was thinking about taking some time off and live in Pattaya again but now, there is not way I would feel comfortable quitting work.

The grass is always greener...... I have spent a lot of time in the PI, including Angeles, what is in Angeles, 2 streets of excellent bars, I f you are a (preferabley young) alcholic pussy hound you can have a great time, for a week or 2, then it gets kind of boring, to say the least, theres nothing else.

You can go out and eat some fine Philipino food, were it to be available - anywhere, the mercenary ladies who's sole ambition in lfe is to get a green card, will bleed you dry with their excellent use of the English language, they make their Thai counterparts look like "Angels"

Violent crime is rampant, not many plusses in my book, Pattaya may not be paradise, unless you compare it to Angeles!

Filipinos make their Thai counterparts look like Angels? Absolute nonsense - It's hard to believe you spent much time there.

It gets boring after a week or two? I was there for 3 years and never got bored.

name='billdo2000' date='2008-10-28 20:17:12' post='2299646']

So you get drunk real quick, like after 2 bottles of VB. :D:(:D

I've never had a VB. I always have a Fosters if I drink Aussie beer. I've heard Australians prefer V.B. - I must try it.

After 4 months at work, I'm pi$$ed after 1 bottle. :D

After one week, I'm back to my normal self - Pints of Guiness in the morning, gradually switching to hundred/nam in the afternoon. :D

Filipinos make their Thai counterparts look like Angels? Absolute nonsense - It's hard to believe you spent much time there.

It gets boring after a week or two? I was there for 3 years and never got bored.

One week in Angeles City was plenty for me - but there again I'm getting on a bit :o

I would say for younger, fitter specimens they would be quite happy there for 3-4 weeks.

I'm not an expert on PI, and nor would I attempt to make a comparison between PI and LOS.

All that I am saying is that for a large percentage of the tourists who come to Pattaya for 'you know what', then Angeles City is without doubt becoming a more attractive option for all the reasons I stated in my earlier post.

funny thing is, in Australia, it's impossible to find fosters anywhere... it's an aussie beer... in every country except australia... (yeah i'm an aussie)...

Was waiting for that one. been told that before, any other australians can you conferm this?

Think the real reason is its to strong for the oz market so its export only :o

A bit off topic. but years ago i loved Swan Black (Alan bond) sad when that all went.

only oz beer i liked, did try a new one think it was called Blonde it was one of the less sugar type beers.

not bad.

Only having a bit of fun with skippy and his mates. :o

have a nice day

Edited by plasticpig

Seriously, what is bad nowadays about Pattaya?

Beer 60 - 70 Baht a bottle. Pletnty of places to go. Have fun....

I am so thankful that I can stay here, I do not intend to look for another place. Every time I am dreaming to go back home, I feel lucky to be here!

But it seems to be human nature to complain, I understand.

Every time I am dreaming to go back home, I feel lucky to be here!

Ugh ! More like nightmares of having to go back home ! :o

For me, a bad day in Pattaya beats a good day "back home" anytime ! :D

If this is Pattaya when it's dead, I almost hope it never gets a pulse again !

I just visited Pattaya for a week and hardly saw any tourists Monday-Thursday, but a number of Thailand expats were around on the weekend - not enough to make any real money though. :o

We must live in different towns. I've never seen "hardly any tourists" in Pattaya.

Its slow but still quite a few tourists here.

I ate at Sailor Bar, Soi 8 just off Beach Road (great Cordon Blu for B100) on Oct 28; they had plenty of customers in both the bar and restaurant.

Later I rode my bike down Beach Road and got caught up in a huge traffice jam near the entrance to Walking Street. Plenty of farangs in those Songteaws :o

Try visiting Oasis Go Go on Soi Buakao any night and I bet you will find most seats taken.

I just visited Pattaya for a week and hardly saw any tourists Monday-Thursday, but a number of Thailand expats were around on the weekend - not enough to make any real money though. :D

We must live in different towns. I've never seen "hardly any tourists" in Pattaya.

I only visit every so often. You are there all the time.

I probably notice the difference more than you do. :o

Its slow but still quite a few tourists here.

I ate at Sailor Bar, Soi 8 just off Beach Road (great Cordon Blu for B100) on Oct 28; they had plenty of customers in both the bar and restaurant.

Later I rode my bike down Beach Road and got caught up in a huge traffice jam near the entrance to Walking Street. Plenty of farangs in those Songteaws :o

Try visiting Oasis Go Go on Soi Buakao any night and I bet you will find most seats taken.

Oasis is one of my favorite places in Patts. You are right on with that one. :D

Pattaya......cheapest place in thailand for expats who want farang things,cheapest place for tourists too.a month ago i was staying at shagwell mansions 700baht per night and in soi arunothai there was a price war on in the bars ,i could get singh for 30baht and heineken for 40baht between 5.30-8.00pm.baht taxi to beach road 10baht,western breakfast for 65 baht,i could go on about how cheap it is there but wont,sufice to say i love going to Pattaya.

It does seem quite quiet around but a mate of mine arrives tomorrow and reckons he had to call 4 different hotels before he could find one that would take a 3 day booking, which suggests a different story. Unless there's gonna be a lot of cancellations....

Hi all...I have lived i Thailand for 7 years..I have visited pattaya a few times..Went there 3 weeks ago and it was quiet compared to the same time the last couple of years..The girls were not too happy but i had a great time..Money was becomming harder to come by i suppose ! lol..It seemed sometimes that I was the one working!! But as i said i still had a great time..As for saying a you are comming over ( the op) then book with www.asiarooms.com they have some good bargains or find a place when you get here! Also Agoda.com has some good deals.....Many bars will find it harder but its far from completely dead...FLB bar was doing a great bit of trade with live music and a wecam link for overseas viewers to buy the girls some drinks..Maybe now its a little quieter then the better bars will be more competitive if not then maybe a few will close or sellup...Off topic I hope it gets quieter so the Baht will die and I will get more baht for my buck! Well pound! lol

Its all about having the right attitude as a punter and enjoying your time here..