Is Pattaya Dead Right Now?

Ulysses G.

To be honest, Pattaya is extremely quit.

Wouldn't call it dead yet, but when I was out on Loy Krathong, at the exact same place as last year, at exactly the same time, I'd reckon there were about 20% of the people around compared the previous year.

If I looked around 100 meters to the left and 100 meters to the right I'd guess there were around 30 people around. Last year it was packed. I was lucky to have brought my own lighter (neither me nor my wife smoke) because it would have been hard to find a soul to borrow one from!

Walked through soi 6 early evening, and on average 1 or two girls per bar were dressed up traditionally. The rest simply didn't have the cash or didn't want to spend it due to the bleak forecasts tourist wise.

In my business (not in the center of Pattaya, 15 km inland, so no hardcore nightlife customers but rather families) bookings were down 10% year on year, and on those bookings I have now roughly 40% cancellations! People are not even worried about the deposits they'll lose, they just don't want to spend their savings on holidays, even if it means rather steep cancellation fees...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a brand new girlie bar on the 'Darkside' which is entirely 'stocked' by girls from Soi 6.

They told me that business is dead there - hence the move to my neck of the woods, as they think the Darkside residents have more cash than the ever dwindling numbers of tourists. :D

A sign of the times.....? :o

There is a brand new girlie bar on the 'Darkside' which is entirely 'stocked' by girls from Soi 6.

They told me that business is dead there - hence the move to my neck of the woods, as they think the Darkside residents have more cash than the ever dwindling numbers of tourists. :D

A sign of the times.....? :D

What they do with a girlie bar overthere.I thought majority of people living on the darkside are happily married. :o

What they do with a girlie bar overthere.I thought majority of people living on the darkside are happily married. :o

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe others can enlighten us :D

I only stopped by because I thought it was a library :D

I had my other post edited in an attempt to be more polite.

You're the one who doesn't get it.

Let me guide you through slowly so you can grasp what I've been saying.

This thread is titled "Is Pattaya dead right now?"

I have not been arguing comparisons from year to year, merely that Pattaya is NOT DEAD RIGHT NOW.

It's just plain ridiculous to label Pattaya as dead.

Do you finally get it now?

I don't think you know or remember what you post.

You have consistently maintained that Pattaya is as busy as ever through most of your posts.

Go back and read them.

Lets just agree to disagree and leave the miss-understandings there.

Thanx.

3 red members on this thread at the same time, I will tread lightly.

Was in Pats two weekend's ago and speaking to some local restaurnant and hotel people, they all said for the last two weekend's Pattaya was very busy.

BKK, on the other hand is very quiet now!

I would hesitate to say that Pattaya is "deader" right now, but only because I have left the building (and the city) ! :D

Not to fear though, I will be back for Songkran, and once again, out of the goodness of my heart, will be arming the neighbourhood ankle-biting, rug rats with all manner of water dispensing aids ! Not to mention also helping to "prop up" various bar owners and rescuing herds of kwai.

(I have ulterior motives for doing so. Some may think I am merely assisting my friends and neighbours with their Songkran celebrations, but in reality, I figure the more water splashed, sprayed and scooped onto the soi the better. Helps to clean off some of the accumulated crap and garbage. Isn't that part of what Songkran is all about, the annual "spring cleaning" ?) :o

They told me that business is dead there - hence the move to my neck of the woods, as they think the Darkside residents have more cash than the ever dwindling numbers of tourists. :P

:D:D maybe moved for you as they aint seen you for a while,they miss your once a month big spend there...what do you get for 300bt nowadays ......as pattaya dead/quiet i expect you get 20 minutes ,that gives you 19 minutes to talk after doing your business :D:( .

im not allowed out on me own :D but for the benefit of others, where is this bar??

examples of price increases:

AntZ , restaurant in View Talay building, prices in 2004:

fried chicken with cashew nuts, steam rice, sprite bottle 70+10+10=90 baht

same now:90+15+15=120 baht

"Spicchio" in Carrefour:

pizza slice (each pizza 6 slices) 45 baht

now a smaller slice (each pizza=8 slices) 60 baht

OK, here is my take on the last month.

The draft beer brigade and the early doors Eagle Bar types were out in force but they don't put tiles on your roof nevermind pay for new motors etc. Places in Walking Street were sometimes full but loads of staff and again, guys nursing draft beers. Gone are the days of attracting customers with girls or shows; now they pamper to the financially challenged. Don't anyone tell me they actually prefer that draft <deleted>.

Stayed a few days in the Pig on Soi 7. Some nights you'd have thought it was closed with the lack of noise. Same same Soi 8. Bars onto 2nd Road up to Naklua quiet like a morgue.

Some piss poor go-gos upping prices for beers and LDs to lunatic levels and throwing in OTT barfines for good measure. I hope a few go to the wall to show then how not to run a business. The good ones will survive but I think the business model of high salaries has to change as customers are not going to put up with ever increasing drink and barfine prices.

Out and about a few owners expressed concerns and no-one said they were doing great or even ok. If they had, I would not have believed them. Some people wanting to sell are asking daft prices and just don't understand that their businesses are not worth what they were a year ago or even 6 months ago. After January they will be worth even less.

Guys still seem able to pay for sex but these are the last of the trips booked before the crash. The next set of trips will be booked in the new economic climate and I suspect they will be much down on previous numbers.

Scams are up. Even had a cashier try to put the owner's rounds on my bill. I doubt he was behind it but ...... you never know. The cashier is not his family. Girls bumming drinks which were not ordered leaves a foul taste in your mouth and I for one will never return to such a place. Ever.

The word is that the people who are here are spending less. I saw that and had it confirmed as well. It is people spending the extras which makes the difference, not just spending the required amount. If that continues, I do not see too many faces come the end of 1st quarter 2009.

I agree with your assessment - excellent post by the way.

just a quick post...........ive noticed there are a lot less members/posters here on T.V over the last 6 months to a year.anyone else noticed this...its the same few that do most of the posts! doesnt this show a lot less interest in pattaya/thailand in general unless fed up with the mods hahah....only joking mods!!

I actually saw a sign on the soi 6 library that they are moving somewhere else!

So it must indeed be quite over there :D

That does not mean that he has spell-check booted into his brain. :o

Hey, I'm not native English!

AT least I finally mastered the difference between there and their :D

I actually saw a sign on the soi 6 library that they are moving somewhere else!

So it must indeed be quite over there :D

That does not mean that he has spell-check booted into his brain. :o

Hey, I'm not native English!

AT least I finally mastered the difference between there and their :D

You leave poor old Monty alone. I bet his English is a bloody sight better than you French, Dutch and Flemish, which I have no doubt Monty is also fluent in. :D

just a quick post...........ive noticed there are a lot less members/posters here on T.V over the last 6 months to a year.anyone else noticed this...its the same few that do most of the posts! doesnt this show a lot less interest in pattaya/thailand in general unless fed up with the mods hahah....only joking mods!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. Whilst it is always good to moderate flaming and rubbish, I reckon the absurdly long list of banned topics and over-regulation/excessive fear of causing offence can make this board more sterile, and this may alienate people from posting. Maybe they should have a Level 2 type membership?

I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. Whilst it is always good to moderate flaming and rubbish, I reckon the absurdly long list of banned topics and over-regulation/excessive fear of causing offence can make this board more sterile, and this may alienate people from posting. Maybe they should have a Level 2 type membership?

I thought we all agreed to the conditions before we joined, I know I did.

It really isn't that difficult to participate in Thai Visa and i for one am more than happy with the way it operates.

I thought we all agreed to the conditions before we joined, I know I did.

It really isn't that difficult to participate in Thai Visa and i for one am more than happy with the way it operates.

It's not bad but no business model is perfect and I am always happy to suggest improvements. If I owned it I would be worried that my advertisers would be concerned if they, like tattoodrob and I, also detected a falloff in participants/interest.

A bit off topic but.

I think the problem is more to do with people socializing out

side of the forum, this has tempered peoples opinions.

Thai visa a victim of its own success. :o

Edited by plasticpig

With the weak pound I've cut back and now have now started to look at prices. Most of the time that means not buying many of the things I took for granted, and that's on approx. 4X average UK salary being paid here now.

For holidaymakers with fixed budgets it's become unaffordable to live well here. Lunch at Sheraton today with mum - I realised I was paying over 5 quid each for fruit juices, six quid for a side salad!

In KL last week paid 4500 baht for room in 5 star hotel - same hotel in LOS now at least 7500 baht.

With the weak pound I've cut back and now have now started to look at prices. Most of the time that means not buying many of the things I took for granted, and that's on approx. 4X average UK salary being paid here now.

For holidaymakers with fixed budgets it's become unaffordable to live well here. Lunch at Sheraton today with mum - I realised I was paying over 5 quid each for fruit juices, six quid for a side salad!

In KL last week paid 4500 baht for room in 5 star hotel - same hotel in LOS now at least 7500 baht.

4X average Uk salary paid here and you are looking at prices.You must be really cheap or shop at the wrong places.

4X average Uk salary paid here and you are looking at prices.You must be really cheap or shop at the wrong places.

It must be £100k! That a s%itload of money:-)

i wouldnt mind living here on that!!!!

he obviously likes the hi so lifestyle....sheraton.......5 quid juice,etc thats daylight robbery but hey hes doing well ..living here on a top wage,nice one........wish i could be his assistant haha.

just out of interest would be nice of him to tell us his job/position here in thailand as cant be many on that out here .

OK, here is my take on the last month.

The draft beer brigade and the early doors Eagle Bar types were out in force but they don't put tiles on your roof nevermind pay for new motors etc. Places in Walking Street were sometimes full but loads of staff and again, guys nursing draft beers. Gone are the days of attracting customers with girls or shows; now they pamper to the financially challenged. Don't anyone tell me they actually prefer that draft <deleted>.

Stayed a few days in the Pig on Soi 7. Some nights you'd have thought it was closed with the lack of noise. Same same Soi 8. Bars onto 2nd Road up to Naklua quiet like a morgue.

Some piss poor go-gos upping prices for beers and LDs to lunatic levels and throwing in OTT barfines for good measure. I hope a few go to the wall to show then how not to run a business. The good ones will survive but I think the business model of high salaries has to change as customers are not going to put up with ever increasing drink and barfine prices.

Out and about a few owners expressed concerns and no-one said they were doing great or even ok. If they had, I would not have believed them. Some people wanting to sell are asking daft prices and just don't understand that their businesses are not worth what they were a year ago or even 6 months ago. After January they will be worth even less.

Guys still seem able to pay for sex but these are the last of the trips booked before the crash. The next set of trips will be booked in the new economic climate and I suspect they will be much down on previous numbers.

Scams are up. Even had a cashier try to put the owner's rounds on my bill. I doubt he was behind it but ...... you never know. The cashier is not his family. Girls bumming drinks which were not ordered leaves a foul taste in your mouth and I for one will never return to such a place. Ever.

The word is that the people who are here are spending less. I saw that and had it confirmed as well. It is people spending the extras which makes the difference, not just spending the required amount. If that continues, I do not see too many faces come the end of 1st quarter 2009.

I agree with your assessment - excellent post by the way.

I also add my 100% endorsement as observed from a recent 2 week spell in Pattaya. I would also mention the high number of 'bar for sale' signs that I certainly had not noticed in the previous 2 years.

A bit off topic but.

I think the problem is more to do with people socializing out

side of the forum, this has tempered peoples opinions.

Thai visa a victim of its own success. :o

:D:D:D

we are all finished if he cannot live on his 80000-100000 a yr :o