Is Pattaya Dead Right Now?

Ulysses G.

I can believe that. Pattaya is probably pretty overdone. Walking down Soi 7 and Soi 8 yesterday, I see lots and lots of girls, but most bars just do not seem that busy. The once cozy little Pattaya may be changing irreversibly in a direction not the most favorable for bar owners. Still a fun and easy place to visit.

I can only compare 3 peak seasons but it seems like business as usual in Soi 7, 8 and Walking street. There are far too many beer bars for them all to appear full no matter how many tourists are in town. If they started getting too full they'd only build one hundred more.

The restaurants I frequent are also full most of the time, sometimes with no seats available...on Sunday and Monday night even.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has now closed her beauty salon, after several years trading - during October she had no business on more than half the days.

I have told her that the good times are coming but she is not convinced. Most of the girls who use her salon are even now heading back home - be with the family for next weeks funeral, stay for Loy Kratong, maybe return at start of December.

The hardcore may stay on, but I think many girls are now disillusioned with the place.

My wife has now closed her beauty salon, after several years trading - during October she had no business on more than half the days.

Maybe if she lowered prices....the barber in Soi Yensabay that charges 60 baht for an haircut is always busy, the "beauty saloons" in the same soi charging 150 are always empty...som nam na :o

Maybe if she lowered prices....the barber in Soi Yensabay that charges 60 baht for an haircut is always busy, the "beauty saloons" in the same soi charging 150 are always empty...som nam na :o

Nope - there are two or three in Soi 17 - all about the same price. My wife is well-known and popular among the evening workers as she is open late.

Trade in the others is also near zero.

Barbers charge 60-80 baht as a rule - you go in, have a haircut, neck-stretch, come out. The girls go in and even if it's just a comb-out, they are there for an hour or two. It's a social club as much as a business.

I'll be home in a few days - see if she wants to start up again or have a rest.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

From the current Pattaya Mail - the pinch is definitely being felt
City discusses bar opening hours

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd3

City officials meet with owners of entertainment establishments in Soi 6.

Staff reporters

City officials have agreed to the request of owners of entertainment businesses in Soi 6 (Yodsak) in Central Pattaya to discuss longer opening hours during which food and non-alcoholic drinks can be served, to help the businesses survive the current declining trade.

Some 50 bar and restaurant owners met with city officials on October 15 to lobby for longer opening hours during the high season to compensate for the declining number of tourists due to the current economic crisis.

While agreeing to compromise on opening hours, City officials insisted that the entertainment premises must operate within the law.

Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh, Pongtasit Pitchanan, deputy district chief of Banglamung, and city counselors went to Soi 6 to meet the business owners on location.

The officials were told that the owners had to open their bars and restaurants earlier to gather more business but police came to crack down and make arrests. The owners asked the city officials to understand the situation better and be more supportive.

Pongtasit told the business owners that while the authorities would discuss extending the opening hours, the owners themselves needed to keep their side of the bargain and conform with regulations for the good of tourism.

He said for example that the women and transvestite sex workers who "dress inappropriately and are too pushy" damage the overall image of Pattaya, especially in the eye of members of the media.

Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh emphasized that everyone must accept and follow regulations while Pattaya City would always provide as much support to business as it possibly can.

More discussions will now be held to relax opening-hour regulations, he said, as the meeting finished on a positive note.

Incidentally - bar/club owning friends in AC (Angeles City - Philippines - near Mount Pinatubo - adjacent to the former Clark Air Base) say that business is quite good, considering the economic situation / season / media reporting. But then they probably would. A couple of friends with bars in both places say that AC is much better than Pattaya - they're losing their socks in Pattaya and both are seriously thinking of pulling out. One transferring his LOS site to Snooky (Sihanoukville, Cambodia) the other concentrating on AC.

You are right to suspect your friends' rose tinted views on Angeles. I am in AC for a few days, and last night (Friday) it was very quiet, much quieter that a Friday (or even a low season Tuesday) in Pattaya. I'm not knocking it as I love it here, for a few days, but if I owned a bar I would be sweating. Some have closed on Fields Avenue leaving the place looking a little deserted, but for fun, it is always as good if not better than Pattaya. Same same but completely different.

Edited by APMann

I have told her that the good times are coming but she is not convinced. Most of the girls who use her salon are even now heading back home - be with the family for next weeks funeral, stay for Loy Kratong, maybe return at start of December.

The hardcore may stay on, but I think many girls are now disillusioned with the place.

The problem here is really the oversupply of beauty salons. On some streets every second shop is a beauty salon. How many beauty salons does Pattaya really need?

Angeles is OK but its basically two streets. A weekend destination at best.

The lower budget long stayers are definitely trending over to Snooky. Cambodia is becoming the Thailand of 20 years ago but for me I have learned the hard way not to be more than a 30 minute drive from a western standard medical facility.

Pattaya definitely down and hurting now but the solution as always with the Thais is put the prices up to compensate.

The political situation is worrying many.

Thank god for alchohol...

Not sure how WS is doing, but Fashion Club (formerly Slim) seems to be doing a pretty good business. Maybe not quite a full house, but probably 85% filled on the 4 nights I've been there this week. Good mix of Thais and farangs.

Considering the prices they charge, I'd think that if Pattaya was that bad off, there wouldn't be too many people willing to shuck out FC prices when they could get the same (more or less) cheaper in other places.

High season should be coming along any time now. I saw a (US) news report that (some) airline prices were at their lowest in 18 months not, as the airlines try to win back some of the business they've lost recently. A month from now and someone will probably start a "Pattaya is Alive and Kicking" thread, and people will complain that there are too many tourists in town now (then).

Pattaya definitely down and hurting now but the solution as always with the Thais is put the prices up to compensate.

I get sick of hearing this nonsense. I live here and haven't noticed much in the way of price increases at all apart from some supermarket items. There's just too much competition in all businesses for them to survive by putting up prices and the Thais are smart enough to realise this.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Pattaya offers great value for money.

I can't believe people whinge about prices here.

I get sick of hearing this nonsense. I live here and haven't noticed much in the way of price increases at all apart from some supermarket items. There's just too much competition in all businesses for them to survive by putting up prices and the Thais are smart enough to realise this.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Pattaya offers great value for money.

Just shows that you haven't been here very long... Prices have remained stable here for years with very very low inflation. Street food and essentials have only moved a few baht in twenty years but in the last 18 Months many products have soared 30% or more..

If you do what most 'new' arrivals do and constantly compare prices with the UK/US etc it does seem great value.. WOW ! a steak dinner for less than 10 quid :o etc etc... But you need to base prices on Thailand not elsewhere... So the meal that used to cost a Thai 20 Baht is now 30-35 Baht.. and every other cost from electricty, Fuel and Accomodation has risen too.. But the average fellas wages hasn't..

My income comes from overseas and I have an excellent lifestyle. Cost rarely if ever becomes a issue for me here.. Even with the strong Baht my living costs are very low... But only when compared with a fully developed Western country... The average middle class Thai with a good job whould have a cow if they saw what I spend in a Month on food, entertainment, travel, hobbies and toys... That's why for me it isn't 'cheap' here... If I lived like a Thai on 5,000 Baht a Month it would be 'cheap' .. Same for most farangs... their living costs are similar to very wealthy Thais not factory workers.... So when guys complain about it being 'expensive' here they are taking in terms of Thailand and countries with a similar economy and level of developement.. You can't compare apples with oranges.. though maybe you may try :D

Just shows that you haven't been here very long...

I've been here 20 years and he is right, "Pattaya offers great value for money." Most prices have not gone up that much - at least for for someone who eats out and does not cook.

Edited by Ulysses G.

is not so good if it's Western food you are after.

I've been here 20 years and he is right, "Pattaya offers great value for money." Most prices have not gone up that much - at least for for someone who eats out and does not cook.

I lived in Patters almost 9 months before I had to find a real job :o and move to Bangkok.

I would tend to agree that in general Pattaya offers very good money for the value.

For food, Soi Bucow(Sp!)  is the place for cheap charlie reasonable eats. Restaurants on the beach

roads, (especially in Jomtien) will leave you broke and/or with a stomachache.

Comparitive point: Phuket is the best place I have found for overall quality of Western food,

especially bakery products but has other problems like far apart beaches and rip-off taxis.

(laos is also very good, but no beach!)

Acommodation. Livingh in View Talay , you can get a kitchen apartment a short walk from the beach at 8000-9000 baht a month.

or less than 300 US bucks. I shudder to think about what 300 would get you in Vancouver these days.

Even in Bangkok you wont find that anywhere close to the city centre. And I certainly can't be in the countryside for a nice motorbike ride in Bangkok within 5 minutes of my home.

From the current Pattaya Mail - the pinch is definitely being felt
City discusses bar opening hours

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd3

City officials meet with owners of entertainment establishments in Soi 6.

Staff reporters

City officials have agreed to the request of owners of entertainment businesses in Soi 6 (Yodsak) in Central Pattaya to discuss longer opening hours during which food and non-alcoholic drinks can be served, to help the businesses survive the current declining trade.

Some 50 bar and restaurant owners met with city officials on October 15 to lobby for longer opening hours during the high season to compensate for the declining number of tourists due to the current economic crisis.

While agreeing to compromise on opening hours, City officials insisted that the entertainment premises must operate within the law.

Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh, Pongtasit Pitchanan, deputy district chief of Banglamung, and city counselors went to Soi 6 to meet the business owners on location.

The officials were told that the owners had to open their bars and restaurants earlier to gather more business but police came to crack down and make arrests. The owners asked the city officials to understand the situation better and be more supportive.

Pongtasit told the business owners that while the authorities would discuss extending the opening hours, the owners themselves needed to keep their side of the bargain and conform with regulations for the good of tourism.

He said for example that the women and transvestite sex workers who "dress inappropriately and are too pushy" damage the overall image of Pattaya, especially in the eye of members of the media.

Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh emphasized that everyone must accept and follow regulations while Pattaya City would always provide as much support to business as it possibly can.

More discussions will now be held to relax opening-hour regulations, he said, as the meeting finished on a positive note.

Incidentally - bar/club owning friends in AC (Angeles City - Philippines - near Mount Pinatubo - adjacent to the former Clark Air Base) say that business is quite good, considering the economic situation / season / media reporting. But then they probably would. A couple of friends with bars in both places say that AC is much better than Pattaya - they're losing their socks in Pattaya and both are seriously thinking of pulling out. One transferring his LOS site to Snooky (Sihanoukville, Cambodia) the other concentrating on AC.

You are right to suspect your friends' rose tinted views on Angeles. I am in AC for a few days, and last night (Friday) it was very quiet, much quieter that a Friday (or even a low season Tuesday) in Pattaya. I'm not knocking it as I love it here, for a few days, but if I owned a bar I would be sweating. Some have closed on Fields Avenue leaving the place looking a little deserted, but for fun, it is always as good if not better than Pattaya. Same same but completely different.

Which would be safer at the moment, Pattaya or A.C? I read the article about the American (who by the pictures looks lucky to be alive) who was attcked by a sword-carrying Thai. This does not bode well for me coming to Patt's on my next holiday.

I can't argue with that.. But that was esentially my point.. If you live at a basic Thai level it is great value.. 20 years or so back when I first arrived in Thailand/Asia I couldn't believe that you could live all week for only a few dollars.. and you still can to some extent.. But back then I was a backpacker living in 30-50 baht a night beach huts and eating from 5 -10 baht Khao Gaeng places... But now my lifestyle is different I still love living in Asia and eat from street side vendors and small thai raan aharn.. But I also love to cook at home..and eat at higher end places in BKK too. Produce and fish etc at the market is great value but anything imported from a supermarket carries a premium... same with wine and spirits.. Branded clothes and quality electronic equipment can all be found cheaper in HK and Singapore same with white goods etc if they aren't made in Thailand.. Cars are expensive in most South East Asian countries and motor bikes especially carry a premium here compared to Europe/US. Yes there are many things that are cheap.. Just that many of them aren't the same quality as you expect elsewhere... Services are also cheaper but once again there is often a quality issue.. Like me you are probably happy to search around to find an alternative or be a smart shopper... However as prices rise here ( without a smilar rise in standards ) it can sometimes start to look expensive (or at least less good value ) My grocery bills here are very similar to what I would spend in the UK.. The cheap stuff helps to cancel out the high priced items.. but the total is roughly the same.. So it's only the lack of taxes plus the low price of utilities and fuel etc. that makes it cheaper for me to live here... But I also have to compromise in other areas.. entertainment is much more limited here along with choice of venues.. Hardly any international names have concerts here and exhibitions and culture are scarce too.. Luckily I'm not that hung up about it and can easily nip down to Singas for some retail therapy or a night out. The weather and the lack of government intrusion in my life makes up for a lot of the other stuff that isn't available here.. Basically life is a compromise wherever you choose to live.. You can live cheaply in Pattaya... and in the main essentials are good value.. But if you favour quality over price it can be frustrating too... But if good value means living in a studio apartment for 100 quid a Month, eating three meals a day for 2 quid and only paying 50p for a big bottle of beer, I can't argue. But that isn't my lifestyle so I'd have to say fr value it ain't all that if you want more out of life...

You can live cheaply in Pattaya... and in the main essentials are good value.. But if you favour quality over price it can be frustrating too... But if good value means living in a studio apartment for 100 quid a Month, eating three meals a day for 2 quid and only paying 50p for a big bottle of beer, I can't argue. But that isn't my lifestyle so I'd have to say fr value it ain't all that if you want more out of life...

Imported foods are more expensive than local foods. That is a given.

Nobody good wants to do concerts here, because bands don't make the money that they do in the UK.

It sounds like you just think that everything should be cheap here and are not willing to compromise. Ever think of returning home? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Just shows that you haven't been here very long... Prices have remained stable here for years with very very low inflation. Street food and essentials have only moved a few baht in twenty years but in the last 18 Months many products have soared 30% or more..

If you do what most 'new' arrivals do and constantly compare prices with the UK/US etc it does seem great value.. WOW ! a steak dinner for less than 10 quid :o etc etc... But you need to base prices on Thailand not elsewhere... So the meal that used to cost a Thai 20 Baht is now 30-35 Baht.. and every other cost from electricty, Fuel and Accomodation has risen too.. But the average fellas wages hasn't..

My income comes from overseas and I have an excellent lifestyle. Cost rarely if ever becomes a issue for me here.. Even with the strong Baht my living costs are very low... But only when compared with a fully developed Western country... The average middle class Thai with a good job whould have a cow if they saw what I spend in a Month on food, entertainment, travel, hobbies and toys... That's why for me it isn't 'cheap' here... If I lived like a Thai on 5,000 Baht a Month it would be 'cheap' .. Same for most farangs... their living costs are similar to very wealthy Thais not factory workers.... So when guys complain about it being 'expensive' here they are taking in terms of Thailand and countries with a similar economy and level of developement.. You can't compare apples with oranges.. though maybe you may try :D

I've been here full time for 3 years and in that time I've encountered very few substantial price increases.

Obviously if you've been here forever you'd have seen a big difference, but did you factor in the extremely high exchange rates after the 1997 financial collapse in SE Asia. A lot of things may have gotten cheaper in real terms depending on where the money comes from.

Nowhere in my reply did I indicate Pattaya is cheap to live, I merely mentioned it offers great value for money. You can spend a truck load of money here too...that wasn't the point.

Let's take a few of your little examples:

1. Street food: I don't eat street food, but in the restaurants where I eat regularly the prices have hardly changed in 3 years.

2. Fuel: This fluctuates of course. In my 3 years here from around 24 up to 45 and now back down to 29 and getting lower by the day.

3. Accommodation: I'm paying less after negotiating a rent drop from my landlord last year.

4. Electricity: I'm paying exactly the same rate I paid 3 years ago.

A few others:

Internet: same price for 3 years with an increase in speed.

Taxi fares to BKK and back....same same. 800 up and 1000 back.

Satelite TV: same price.

Gym membership: Prices get better all the time as well as the facilities.

Drink prices: I'm not a drinker, but you can see the same deals I saw 3 years ago if you stroll down Walking Street.

I really think you should leave Pattaya. You've been here far too long already.

Edited by tropo

Have said it before Pattaya is the cheapest playground in thailand for ex pats and tourists alike.

Baht bus 10 baht

happy hour beer Singh 40baht,heiniken also.

western breakfast65baht

accomodation 500-800 baht per night with a/c

long term rental 4000-7000baht per month.

"girls on the boulevard"500baht.

If all this is too expensive,well there's always Cambodia i guess!

Not sure how WS is doing, but Fashion Club (formerly Slim) seems to be doing a pretty good business. Maybe not quite a full house, but probably 85% filled on the 4 nights I've been there this week. Good mix of Thais and farangs.

Considering the prices they charge, I'd think that if Pattaya was that bad off, there wouldn't be too many people willing to shuck out FC prices when they could get the same (more or less) cheaper in other places.

High season should be coming along any time now. I saw a (US) news report that (some) airline prices were at their lowest in 18 months not, as the airlines try to win back some of the business they've lost recently. A month from now and someone will probably start a "Pattaya is Alive and Kicking" thread, and people will complain that there are too many tourists in town now (then).

fashion club has lowered there prices on many drinks hence more people,i got my mrs to ask why when i was there and they said low season so soon could go up to there usual crazier prices.

as to pattaya in general,from my friends that have business"s they report every year that it is worse and high season is shorter.....also there are too many bars ,clubs etc so it is hard to get busy.

walking st seems to always look busy as it always has a lot of walkers but not so many spenders,so bars etc dont get any money from these lookers.

also from my point of view i think pattaya is generally getting less people every year and needs some sort of positive boost to turn it around....visa rule improvement,house ownership made easier,stable government and pattaya to sort out its crime problem, as far too many murders than should be.

just my tuppence :o

OK, here is my take on the last month.

The draft beer brigade and the early doors Eagle Bar types were out in force but they don't put tiles on your roof nevermind pay for new motors etc. Places in Walking Street were sometimes full but loads of staff and again, guys nursing draft beers. Gone are the days of attracting customers with girls or shows; now they pamper to the financially challenged. Don't anyone tell me they actually prefer that draft <deleted>.

Stayed a few days in the Pig on Soi 7. Some nights you'd have thought it was closed with the lack of noise. Same same Soi 8. Bars onto 2nd Road up to Naklua quiet like a morgue.

Some piss poor go-gos upping prices for beers and LDs to lunatic levels and throwing in OTT barfines for good measure. I hope a few go to the wall to show then how not to run a business. The good ones will survive but I think the business model of high salaries has to change as customers are not going to put up with ever increasing drink and barfine prices.

Out and about a few owners expressed concerns and no-one said they were doing great or even ok. If they had, I would not have believed them. Some people wanting to sell are asking daft prices and just don't understand that their businesses are not worth what they were a year ago or even 6 months ago. After January they will be worth even less.

Guys still seem able to pay for sex but these are the last of the trips booked before the crash. The next set of trips will be booked in the new economic climate and I suspect they will be much down on previous numbers.

Scams are up. Even had a cashier try to put the owner's rounds on my bill. I doubt he was behind it but ...... you never know. The cashier is not his family. Girls bumming drinks which were not ordered leaves a foul taste in your mouth and I for one will never return to such a place. Ever.

The word is that the people who are here are spending less. I saw that and had it confirmed as well. It is people spending the extras which makes the difference, not just spending the required amount. If that continues, I do not see too many faces come the end of 1st quarter 2009.

If that continues, I do not see too many faces come the end of 1st quarter 2009.

I predict you are wrong. Pattaya will continue on just fine.

I've seen plenty of empty bars every high season I've been here.

I've noticed a few bars seem to be pricing themselves out of business such as the Pattayaland (Soi 13/4) gogo bars, but a weeding out process will only help the area.

Of course the world economic downturn is going to effect Pattaya.

In fact as most posters here have noted there is a lot less money around this year than there was last year.

Will Pattaya survive?

Of course it will but it is still probably going to be a very rocky road for many businesses over the next year.

In fact as most posters here have noted there is a lot less money around this year than there was last year.

Will Pattaya survive?

Of course it will but it is still probably going to be a very rocky road for many businesses over the next year.

Perhaps you should have a read through the thread before spouting nonsense. There are many people who consider Pattaya alive and well.

A downturn in world economics can help tourist resorts which are good value for money. High end tourist resorts (something Pattaya can never be accused of) will suffer first.

Edited by soundman

Got to agree in a way that it is the lower end/long term that patters caters for best, my work contract is up at Xmas and there's nothing on the horizon for the first half of 2009, so better than sitting at home with <deleted> weather I'll be living well in patters and making calls for new contracts in the spring.

Plenty of contracters and offshore workers use patters for r&r and I think many will just stay a little longer this time.

Will Pattaya survive?

Perhaps you should have a read through the thread before spouting nonsense. There are many people who consider Pattaya alive and well.

A downturn in world economics can help tourist resorts which are good value for money. High end tourist resorts (something Pattaya can never be accused of) will suffer first.

You just don't get it do you?

You refuse to accept the obvious.

I have never stated that Pattaya wouldn't survive however there is less money around and certainly Pattaya is much quiter than I have ever seen it before.

Are you really trying to say that Pattaya is doing just as well as what is was a year or two ago?

Although we will still be arriving in Pattaya in a couple of weeks for a protracted stay til mid January , because of the Economic Downturn & drop in the Oz $$$$ value we will not be buying a property yet & that means our retirement will have to wait a while.

We changed our retirement visa to a 2month one only as we dont think it will be back to normal within the 3 months we would have had left to get back. Oz $$ has gone from 32Bht down to 22Bht .

I will be interested to see if it is still thriving like it was last year when we were there, because I am aware of many many Oz tourists that have cancelled plans to visit over the Xmas break & so have a few American friends I know , I am in California on biz now heading back to Oz on Monday then on to Patts on the 27th with a different frame of mind & disappointed in having to wait.

:o

Will Pattaya survive?

Personally, I would have thought the opposite was more likely. Wealthy people will still be wealthy (but a little bit less so) and are still likely to want quality. I would have thought it is likely to be the lower end, package sector of tourism that is hit the hardest as currency fluctuations and job uncertainty are more likely to have a greater impact at that level.

I may be wrong of course but it will be interesting to see how tourism in Thailand is affected by world and local events and which of the areas of Thailand suffer the most. One thing's for sure though and that is tourism will be down on last year throughout the country.

Will Pattaya survive?

I have never stated that Pattaya wouldn't survive however there is less money around and certainly Pattaya is much quiter than I have ever seen it before.

Are you really trying to say that Pattaya is doing just as well as what is was a year or two ago?

I had my other post edited in an attempt to be more polite.

You're the one who doesn't get it.

Let me guide you through slowly so you can grasp what I've been saying.

This thread is titled "Is Pattaya dead right now?"

I have not been arguing comparisons from year to year, merely that Pattaya is NOT DEAD RIGHT NOW.

It's just plain ridiculous to label Pattaya as dead.

Do you finally get it now?

Edited by tropo

Will Pattaya survive?

I had my other post edited in an attempt to be more polite.

You're the one who doesn't get it.

Let me guide you through slowly so you can grasp what I've been saying.

This thread is titled "Is Pattaya dead right now?"

I have not been arguing comparisons from year to year, merely that Pattaya is NOT DEAD RIGHT NOW.

It's just plain ridiculous to label Pattaya as dead.

Do you finally get it now?

I don't think you know or remember what you post.

You have consistently maintained that Pattaya is as busy as ever through most of your posts.

Go back and read them.