Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

If an election would be held today, the TRT/PPP would still win, which is why an election will not be held anytime soon. The PAD (Thai Army) can't win an election. It has weapons and money, but lacks any popular support outside of an extremely elite group of people. The Democrat Party (Army-lite) is probably the best hope at this time.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Urgent: Police fire tear gas at protesters in front of Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Police fire dozens of tear gases at protesters, who staged a blockade outside Parliament at 6:20 am.

The firing of tear gases managed to open an access to Parliament at the gate on Phichai Road.

Leading members of the People's Alliance for Democracy urged the protesters to remain protesting there.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

It is about time. Who is this PAD? They lost an election and now trying anarchy to overthrow legitimate government elected by the people. If the PAD is opposed; they should elect their candidates.

Perhaps all of these misguided protesters should get jobs and help the beleaguered Thai economy.

If you have no idea about Thai politics, why do you post here some nonsense?

Rephased:

It is about time. Who is this non-Thaksin supporters? They lost an election and now trying anarchy to overthrow legitimate government elected by the people. If the non-Thaksin supporters are opposed; they should elect their candidates.

Perhaps all of these misguided protesters should get jobs and help the beleaguered Thai economy.

Protester's clash with police claims second victi

By The Nation

A woman became the second victim of the political chaos in which police fired tear gas on anti-government protesters on Tuesday.

The woman was identified as Angkana Radubpunyawut, 20, Dr Thun Supatarapun, director of Ramathipbodi Hospital said.

She died from serious wounds at the chest, the doctor said.

Angkana was among protesters who clashed with police in the afternoon. She was rushed to the hospital and was announced dead at the hospital.

A man was killed in a bomb attack in front of Chart Thai Party on Tuesday.

Cabinet members and lawmakers trapped inside Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protesters have locked the gate of Parliament trapping the prime minister, his Cabinet members and lawmakers.

Parliamentary officials are trying to coordinate with authorities in charge of Ananta Samakhom Palace to open a side gate to let lawmakers out. But authorities said they are politically neutral and do not want to get involved in the rifts.

The talks to use the side gate are still inconclusive after an hour.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has an appointment at 2.00 pm.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Sorry, holding MP and PM against their will is not a crime in Thailand. Shooting at helpless PAD. TIT is. :o:D:D

Edited by AlKing

If an election would be held today, the TRT/PPP would still win, which is why an election will not be held anytime soon. The PAD (Thai Army) can't win an election. It has weapons and money, but lacks any popular support outside of an extremely elite group of people. The Democrat Party (Army-lite) is probably the best hope at this time.

Which is why the Democrats keep pretending to be somehow 'above the fray' and the party for everyone...when "everyone" really knows they are the front-men for the privililedged elites who back the PAD to ensure their oligarch family businesses remain untouchable in Thailand's patronage system. They even call Thaksin a "Republican". What a joke. None of these guys are 'anything', except greedy, unreligious (though they pretend to be when required) clowns who prance around like they know something, when all they know is an important 'somone' or two... TIT.

This is getting so boring...really. I mean the naivete of people who still try to argue otherwise - like the PAD is some movement to rid Thailand of corruption. How many demonstrators and supporters are driving a new car - or any bloody car - when they earn only 12,000 baht per month? How did they manage to go to school in Aus/America/UK when daddy earned 18,000 baht per month as a bureaucrat? Sure - let's just have appointees run the country...what a solution to corruption.

Funny how all the talk of 'non-violence' and no 'force' has gone right out the window with the excuse that the police used tear gas - a method used around the world to end riots and street sieges. Also (not)funny how the only people who've died have been those opposing the PAD...how did that happen?

The world is watching these assh_oles and their backers...and it's keeping score. Have no doubt. Maybe they can fool some Thais with their bull-hit nonesense. But if they really want Thailand to become Burma, then they are right on track.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Thailand-Pro...970d82fac79982d

More pictures from Yahoo including one showing the cop throwing the "object". (egg, stone, grenade or whatever)

The "object"? So why didn't you include the Yahoo caption?

Thai riot police throw tear gas to anti-government protesters in front of Parliament in Bangkok

Anyway, the real question is, when will the tanks roll in?

BANGKOK: -- Police fire dozens of tear gases at protesters, who staged a blockade outside Parliament at 6:20 am.

The firing of tear gases managed to open an access to Parliament at the gate on Phichai Road.

Leading members of the People's Alliance for Democracy urged the protesters to remain protesting there.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

It is about time. Who is this PAD? They lost an election and now trying anarchy to overthrow legitimate government elected by the people. If the PAD is opposed; they should elect their candidates.

Rephased:

It is about time. Who is this non-Thaksin supporters? They lost an election and now trying anarchy to overthrow legitimate government elected by the people. If the non-Thaksin supporters are opposed; they should elect their candidates.

Which election did the PAD run at? Where could you vote for PAD???

The government is legitimate?????????????? After the EC has the opinion that most of the parties should be dissolved die to fraud at the election?????

We both know that, how much do they pay you to write such nonsense?

Breaking News:

Chavalit resigns as deputy prime minister

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chavalit-Res...ni-t216407.html

Please slow down the news from happening... it was difficult enough to keep up with this thread... :o

Can't say that I blame him! Who would want to be in a government that isn't preapproved by the PAD thugs.

This offensive was classic Chavalit, take a look at his history! Now he resigns, IMHO he should stay on and drive the mongrel PAD back to Sanam Luang which they can have, but Gov House and the Parliment are NOT the places they should be allowed to occupy.

We don't want them down here (Sanam Luang), its been very peacful and pleasant without them thank you very much. Best to keep all the mob sorts over the other side of Bangkok, well away from my good self and the Mrs (she'd be out confronting them with gusto [being one of the majority of Thais who consistently voted for Mr T because it was the only time her and her family's life was improved by a Thai government]).

I agree with the comments that it's a big shame that decent Thais are dragged into this mess (again) by the same select group that have been fighting with / against / with / against / with / against each other since the seventies, for their own personal gains with little or no regard for Thailand, its people, etc.

DAAD will kick the SHlT out of PAD if they dare to invade Sanam Luang. That's for sure.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Rephased:

Which election did the PAD run at? Where could you vote for PAD???

The government is legitimate?????????????? After the EC has the opinion that most of the parties should be dissolved die to fraud at the election?????

We both know that, how much do they pay you to write such nonsense?

h90???????????????????????? You ok???????????????????????

You can pay me to clean up your text pal.

I just saw pictures of the victims. I almost vomit. My highest/best regards to these people who know what can happen but continue to fight for their country without being afraid of being beat to a cripple by the corrupt police :o:D

Most farangs would not have the balls for that in their home country.

I don't understand how the police can lower themself that way! Killing peaceful people to serve a corrupt illegal premier.

Giles is fairly on the ball as usual although a bit generalised

Asia Sentinel

Has Panlop really fallen out with Chamlong this is the question. Do we see the manipulation of a factionalised army?

In fact I think we do and that is why the Democrats are hedging their bets. I have never seen a bigger collection of opportunists in my life.

If we see a factionalised army this could work in the govts favour and present an opportunity to clear the PAD. There is a side who may have woken up - its not the PAD or the PPP before anyone makes assumptions.

Thanks for the link. On the ball as you say. Its sad yet understandable how many Thais have been totally brainwashed by the years of propaganda pumped out by the ruling elite to such a degree that they think to support the PAD is being patriotic ? As for people in high places condoning the PAD activities, well a lot of people around the world are watching and will be changing their opinions of the LOS

Edited by Bangyai

Breaking News:

Chavalit resigns as deputy prime minister

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chavalit-Res...ni-t216407.html

Please slow down the news from happening... it was difficult enough to keep up with this thread... :o

Can't say that I blame him! Who would want to be in a government that isn't preapproved by the PAD thugs.

This offensive was classic Chavalit, take a look at his history! Now he resigns, IMHO he should stay on and drive the mongrel PAD back to Sanam Luang which they can have, but Gov House and the Parliment are NOT the places they should be allowed to occupy.

We don't want them down here (Sanam Luang), its been very peacful and pleasant without them thank you very much. Best to keep all the mob sorts over the other side of Bangkok, well away from my good self and the Mrs (she'd be out confronting them with gusto [being one of the majority of Thais who consistently voted for Mr T because it was the only time her and her family's life was improved by a Thai government]).

I agree with the comments that it's a big shame that decent Thais are dragged into this mess (again) by the same select group that have been fighting with / against / with / against / with / against each other since the seventies, for their own personal gains with little or no regard for Thailand, its people, etc.

DAAD will kick the SHlT out of PAD if they dare to invade Sanam Luang. That's for sure.

Yep. This is how civil wars start. I really hope the idiotic hi-so people behind this PAD-Facsist-Putsch have thought this through..Cause trouble could come knocking on their own front doors..Then again these people rarely see it coming do they? What did Marie-Antoinnette say? "What, they have no bread? Pas de Problem - let them eat cake!" What goes around comes around..

Edited by thaigene2

So whats your answer?

Did you vote for PAD or against them and HOW did you do it at the last elections???

Thaigene2 --- you have been saying the exact same thing for over 2 years now ....

There is zero indication of a civil war and I doubt with the current Head of State that such a thing could be seriously contemplated.

We don't want them down here (Sanam Luang), its been very peacful and pleasant without them thank you very much. Best to keep all the mob sorts over the other side of Bangkok, well away from my good self and the Mrs (she'd be out confronting them with gusto [being one of the majority of Thais who consistently voted for Mr T because it was the only time her and her families life was improved by a Thai government]).

:o Can't bother to respond in detail, but that was a real joke. :D It does say a lot about how shortsighted and ill-informed you, your wife and the whole family are though.

Not my opinions or views, I hate corruption and Mr T, but I thought it worth repeating the views of the majority of Thais - not a small percentage that live in Bangkok. If a decent democratic process was allowed to start (not allowed by the PAD, Dems or PPP currently) then perhaps the country as a whole could, in time, benefit.

The reality is that if the country went to the ballot box today and Mr T was a candidate, he would very likely win with a huge majority. I'd never vote for such a chap myself, but I'm not Thai and don't get a vote - the truth is the majority of Thais like him, a lot, which I suppose is why his opponents (PAD / Dems) don't want average Thais to have a vote, or when they do cast their votes, and a fair result is achieved, try to bring out mobs to bring down an elected government.

To end; childish 'smart alec' remarks such as yours are indicative of the ignorant and blinkered attitude that allows the puppeters to so easily maintain their hold on Thai politics. Sad.

You still don't get it do you. The people outside Bangkok are not too smart. They trade their vote for a couple of bottles of cheap Leo beer. That's why they should be discourage to vote for the wrong person. That what PAD has been telling you Farang all the while.

Bangkok is the center of Thailand. Bangkokian should have all the say. Thailand do not exist without Bangkok. That's why the Parliment is located here.

Giles is fairly on the ball as usual although a bit generalised

Asia Sentinel

Has Panlop really fallen out with Chamlong this is the question. Do we see the manipulation of a factionalised army?

In fact I think we do and that is why the Democrats are hedging their bets. I have never seen a bigger collection of opportunists in my life.

If we see a factionalised army this could work in the govts favour and present an opportunity to clear the PAD. There is a side who may have woken up - its not the PAD or the PPP before anyone makes assumptions.

Thanks for the link. On the ball as you say. Its sad yet understandable how many Thais have been totally brainwashed by the years of propaganda pumped out by the ruling elite to such a degree that they think to support the PAD is being patriotic ? As for people in high places condoning the PAD activities, well a lot of people around the world are watching and will be changing their opinions of the LOS

Ji is right on as usual - but I would take issue with his last paragraph. The Unions are right out to lunch on this. Don;t forget they've been siding with the PAD. Absoultely nutters...why would any Union side witha group that wants to kill off democracy in favour of eltiism/fascism? The NGOs are a bit of a problem child in Thailand too, aren't they? Only a handful aren't connected to some kind of patronage thingy..

The PM will not last much longer....climbing over fences does nothing for his reputation.

Also there is NO WAY he will bring his Sister back to serve a prison term...ask any Thai if they would do that to their sister?

Wrong appointment as PM has led to this trouble now IMHO. Why could they not have chosen someone detatched from the family is beyond my comprehension.....and Somchai's suits don't even fit him properly..he's smaller than Thaksin, yet he looks like he got his cast offs

We have heard what sounded like gunshots here in CM about 20 minutes ago......sure as h.ll I am not going looking for the source.

I could be totally wrong as this area is a Thaksin stronghold

But its a bit early for fireworks !!

Could we wake up to a deja vous situation of 17/09/06?

If an election would be held today, the TRT/PPP would still win, which is why an election will not be held anytime soon.

I don't think this is true at all. Over 60% of Thais voted for parties other than the PPP. The vast majority of Thais are anti Thaksinist now, the only reason they 'lost' the last elections was because their vote was split among multiple parties while the Thaksinists were all consolidated within the PPP. Elections will not be held soon because the current PPP let coalition government controls the timing of the next election, and if it were held again they would lose. Instead they will continue to use force to inflict damage upon their political opponents and attempt to dismiss the corruption charges facing Thaksin and his cronies.

So whats your answer?

Did you vote for PAD or against them and HOW did you do it at the last elections???

I flashed them the finger a couple of times when driving by...and I take great delight in cutting up/off some fat pri+k in a Benz and his special shirt whenever the opportunity comes along. Howz that Herr Feudal-Freund?

If an election would be held today, the TRT/PPP would still win, which is why an election will not be held anytime soon.

I don't think this is true at all. Over 60% of Thais voted for parties other than the PPP. The vast majority of Thais are anti Thaksinist now, the only reason they 'lost' the last elections was because their vote was split among multiple parties while the Thaksinists were all consolidated within the PPP. Elections will not be held soon because the current PPP let coalition government controls the timing of the next election, and if it were held again they would lose. Instead they will continue to use force to inflict damage upon their political opponents and attempt to dismiss the corruption charges facing Thaksin and his cronies.

As well Chart Thai and some other told before the election that they would NEVER support Thaksin and PPP, so their voters got something very different than what the voted for.

IMHO, until the investigation is out, please do not discount that this could be a terrible mistake of friendly fire. Why would PAD hurt the police. PAD is a peaceful group of people. PAD only practice civil disobedience. Please do not point the figer at PAD. Like any other under the law of Thailand, PAD is innocent until proven guilty. Having said that, I am sorry for the dead man. My condolence to the family too. It was not ment to happen this way.

You wonder whether Sonthi L. et. al. will take responsibility for this murder?
The PAD went on attack when they took siege at the Parlement house.

The PAD went on attack when they closed airports.

The PAD went on attack many more times the you want to say.

All these attacks were attacks to the Nation and would prompt Police intervention ANYWHERE in the world.

And when a sovereign nation like Thailand call the Police in to restore law and order and POLICEMAN ARE BEING MURDERED by the PAD demonstators you date to call this "using than defensive weapons or maneuvers."?

Which is why the Democrats keep pretending to be somehow 'above the fray' and the party for everyone...when "everyone" really knows they are the front-men for the privililedged elites who back the PAD to ensure their oligarch family businesses remain untouchable in Thailand's patronage system. They even call Thaksin a "Republican". What a joke.

The ongoing 'joke' comes directly from #10 Kensington St and is ripping Thailand apart, for the sake of one man, whom puts 'winning' above all else. One wonders when he'll be 'full' and done (if ever). Even a good parasite should know it's not wise to consume it's host entirely.... Connect the TRUE Elite dots.... :o

**REFERENCE: The Nation April 16 2006

"Political tensions will probably escalate as the ruling party is trying to fill 500 House seats by dubious means," Chuan said.

He said he expected turbulence for the foreseeable future because those involved had yet to address the damage that had been done by Thaksin.

Although Thaksin agreed not to accept the post of prime minister in the new government, problems stemming from his misrule remain, he said.

For example, many independent organisations are under Thaksin's influence and no office-holders have resigned to pave the way for rehabilitation, he added.

With or without Thaksin, a faulty system lacking in checks and balances has not yet been put to rights, he said.

In the case of the National Counter Corruption Commission, many candidates for the job should have withdrawn from the nomination process because they know they have government backing, rendering them ineffective as graft-busters, he said.

In another development, Democrat deputy leader Alongkorn Pollabutr took a group of selected reporters to inspect the Beverly Hill housing estate on Chaeng Wattana Road.

Alongkorn said Thaksin's sister Yaowapha Wongsawat had allegedly exerted political influence to allow her daughter to acquire the estate at a cut-rate price.

The estate had a market value of Bt3 billion, he said, but Yaowapha allegedly helped her daughter Shinnisha Wongsawat to buy it for Bt950 million.

He said he would petition the NCCC to look into the matter in the next 10 days.

He also said he would alert the Anti Money Laundering Office and the Office of the Auditor-General to investigate whether Yaowapha had become unusually wealthy.

**REFERENCE: Bangkok Post APRIL 26 2006:

Yaowapa Wongsawat, a sister of Thai Rak Thai party leader Thaksin Shinawatra, yesterday demanded that the Democrat party refrain from making further ''groundless'' accusations about her being unusually rich or abusing power.

The party list MP-elect has also instructed the family's lawyers to file defamation charges against Alongkorn Pollabutr, the deputy Democrat party leader, who is leading an investigation into her supposed irregularities, next week.

''Mr Alongkorn was just making up stories in order to destroy the reputation of myself as well as my family in order to gain some measly political advantage. I can't wait to go to court so that the justice system can decide who is right and who is in the wrong,'' she said.

Mrs Yaowapa has been the prime target of Mr Alongkorn's investigations in recent weeks, with him alleging that she tried to conceal ownership of a real estate firm from the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC).

The former Democrat MP from Phetchaburi province, who said he would file a complaint with the NCCC, alleged that Sangsin Property, the owner of Beverly Hills Housing Estate, belonged to Shinnisha Wongsawat, 26, a daughter of Mrs Yaowapa. This was because the project was named Shinnisha Ville before it was renamed Beverly Hills to avoid Mrs Yaowapa being drawn into a political row and as Ms Shinnisha was thought to be one of its executives in its early stages.

Mr Alongkorn also said he had convincing evidence that Mrs Yaowapa also owned Shinnisha Ville through Sunisa Pathompruek, a sister of caretaker Deputy Transport Minister Phumtham Wechayachai, and Chalermchai Jeenawijarana, a former Thai Rak Thai MP.

Deputy Democrat secretary-general Korn Chatikavanij is also investigating the trading of shares in seven companies by the Wongsawat family, both in the stock market and outside it in which one of them Portal Net Company won a bid to lease software to the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) under questionable circumstances.

''I admit that the Wechayachai and Jeenawijarana families are close to ours but we don't do business together,'' said Mrs Yaowapa.

Mrs Yaowapa also said she did not own an eight-rai parcel of land worth 256 million baht in the Beverly Hills housing estate as it was owned by her daughter who bought it with a bank loan.

''As for the name of the estate, the owners asked if they could borrow it because they said my daughter's name was pretty,'' she said.

Meanwhile, the family's lawyer, Somsak Toraksa, said yesterday that he would file both criminal and civil suits against Mr Alongkorn next week claiming that the allegations against Mrs Yaowapa were preposterous

**REFERENCE: The Nation SEPT 26 2006:

Members of Shinawatra-Wongsawat families expand businesses to take all

Thaksin's close relative, who became rich overnight, included his sister, Yaowapha Wongsawat. She set up M Link or M Link Asian Corporation Plc, which is a main business of her family. The firm generated annual revenue worth several billions of baht for the Wongsawat family.

M Link has expanded its businesses by buying stakes in several firms, and thus allowing the Wongsawat family to expand its business empire to other businesses on top of mobile phone selling business. Key firms, whose major shares had been bought by the Wongsawat family, are companies which compete for government projects.

The M Link empire of Yaowapha set up several more daughter companies, including Telemax Asia Corporation, M Shop Mobile Ltd and Trunk Radio, which won a project worth Bt226 million from the Aeronautical Radio of Thailnd Ltd. M Link also invested in Portal Net Co Ltd to bid for telecom projects from government agencies and private firms.

Among key projects it has won was a project to lease computers and software solution worth Bt3.192 billion to Provincial Electricity Authority and a project to provide public telephones with coin and debit card slots to TOT Plc.

The Wongsawat family also bought stakes of Win Coast Industrial Park, which operates logistics business and receives support from the government.

Moreover, the Wongsawat family also joined hand with Wilailak family, the owner of Samart Group. The two families bought 50 shares of ASCON Construction Plc, which announced its policy to bid for government's mega projects. It aims to win electric train project worth several hundreds of billions of baht and a Bt24 billion worth project of the Treasury Department to build a government centre in Chaeng Wattana area. ASCON is also interested to be a sub-contractor of Shino-Thai to build the Airport Rail Link worth Bt12 billion.

Beside, Shinnisha Wongsawat, a daughter of Yaowapha, and Phayup Shinawatra, the brother of Thaksin, received quotas to buy shares worth Bt500 million from Strip Mill, a major steel maker of Somsak Leesawattrakul. Strip Mill received a hair-cut debt reduction worth Bt56.55 million from its debt burden of Bt63.857 billion by the Assets Management Corporation, and bringing down its debt to only Bt7.3 billion after it provided shares subscription quotas Shinnisha and Phayup as well as selling shares at cheap prices to relatives of Thai Rak Thai politicians.

The Wongsawat family also bought shares of Traffic Corner, a media content firm which bids for projects from government agencies. Eventually, the Wongsawat family sold a part of its Traffic Corners shares to the Wilailak family.

Traffic Corner won a concession from the Public Relations Department to produce TV programmes for NBC cable TV channel, which is aired free of charge for the first six months. The department regards that NBC is a trial channel. Traffic Corner also won concessions of three cable channels from Channel 9 as well.

Traffic Corner also won a concession from the Tourism Authority of Thailand to install advertising media on airport trolleys in four airports for three years. The project is worth about Bt100 million.

In short, during the term of the Thaksin government, the Wongsawat family has depended on the political power to expand its business empire to have major shares in nearly all of business sectors, like what Shin Corp had done.

Phayup Shinawatra, Thaksin's brother, is another Shinawatra family member, who joined the operations in taking over Thailand.

Phayup is often suspected of manipulating share prices and the Securities and Exchange Commission always keeps a close watch on him. Shares of firms, which he has bought, often saw irregular movements of their prices while he was holding the shares. Such firms included Picnic, Eastern Wire and EMC.

Phayup was suspected of helping share prices of firms with political affiliations to go up higher, compared with shares of firms without political affiliations.

Mahakijsiri-Jungrungreangkit receive debt-tax reduction

A group of businesses owned by Prayuth Mahakijsiri, a financier of Thai Rak Thai, also received a lot of benefits from the government. Thai Film Industry of Mahakijsiri family bought the stakes of Thai Copper Industry, which benefited from debt restructuring approved by the Assets Management Corporation. It was given a debt reduction worth Bt9.377 billion from the total amount of debt worth Bt11.833 billion, leaving a debt of only Bt2.456 billion.

Moreover, the government's policy to increase the price of cold-rolled steel from Bt88 per kilogramme to Bt105.94 per kg allowed the firm to have a profit worth Bt1.395 billion in 2003, compared with its previous loss of Bt1.233 billion.

Thai Nox Co Ltd of Mahakijsiri family also benefited from the government's policy when the Thaksin administration increased the import tariff of cold-rolled stainless steel from five to 15 per cent. The tariff hike prevented foreign rivals from competing in Thailand and allowed Thai Nox, the only manufacturer of cold-rolled stainless steel, to benefit from the sale in the country.

In 2005, Prayuth Mahakijsiri became one of the top ten businessmen with highest values of share prices under ownership. The share prices of his firms shot up by 76 per cent with a total value of Bt3.194 billion.

Meanwhile, the Jungrungreangkit family has become rich from holding stakes in PTT Plc and from holding stakes in firms which saw their prices climbing up fast, such Picnic and Eastern Wire.

The Jungrungreangkit family carries out businesses of making parts for vehicles and motorcycles. The Jungrungreangkit family together with the Jurangkoon family enjoyed benefit from the government's policy to turn Thailand to Detroit of Asia. The Jurangkoon family has a lot of businesses under its group, including Thai Summit, which produces parts for Toyota.

Following the inking of FTA contract between Thailand and Australia, the automobile and parts manufacturing business of the Jungrungreangkit family was the second group to benefit after the telecom empire of Thaksin. And the group, which stands to lose most, is the group of over 300,000 cattle farmers for whom the Thaksin government did not provide any measure to help them at all.

Asavabhokin family becomes richer

Anant Asavabhokin, president of Land and House Plc, is another financier of the Thai Rak Thai. He is a close friend of Boonklee Pungsiri of Shin Corp since the two studied in the Chulongkorn University's Faculty of Engineering.

During the term of Thaksin govenment, Anant became one of the richest businessmen in term of values of shares in the stock market. Anant became richer by Bt2.588 billion or 21 per cent compared with 2003 and the Asavabhokin family climbed up to the second richest family after the Shinawatra family in term of share prices.

The Asavabhokin family was a graphic example that share prices of firms with connections to politicians in power would see their value increased.

Anant also received a license to operate the Land and House Bank. Moreover, Anant was entrusted by the government to sit on a committee to supervise power pricing and policy after Shin Corp became interested in investing in electricity businesses by setting nominal firms to invest in such businesses.

The Chearavanont family benefited from the government's cover-up of bird-flu spread in Thailand, allowing the family to continue its chicken meat exports for a while. But the cover-up caused the spread to worsen, causing deaths among Thais.

Businesses of the Chearavanont also expanded a lot as allies of the businesses of politicians in the Thaksin government. For example, UBC was allowed to have advertisements and chicken and prawn exports were also benefited from FTA contracts. The family also won concessions to provide seedlings, such as rubber seedlings, to the Agriculture Ministry. Beside, the telecom business of the family expanded a lot especially after Shin Corp was sold to Temasek Holdings of Singapore.

Thaigene2 --- you have been saying the exact same thing for over 2 years now ....

There is zero indication of a civil war and I doubt with the current Head of State that such a thing could be seriously contemplated.

Not yet..but the clock's a tickin..(see? I have a brain and a sense of humor!)

So whats your answer?

I flashed them the finger a couple of times when driving by...and I take great delight in cutting up/off some fat pri+k in a Benz and his special shirt whenever the opportunity comes along. Howz that Herr Feudal-Freund?

OK you wrote some nonsense but did not answer the question!

Baht and Sold - you still don't get it do you? Sadly you're not alone - but thankfully your numbers are dwindling - which is a good sign that people are waking up (farangs at least). This PAD movement is NOT about Thakin. It's about an awakening democracy and the threat the majority poor pose to the rich in a closed-shop patronage system.

I think Thaksin should be in jail for what he's done. Ok? - Anything else you need to know? Now re-read the above sentence. Cause that's what this is all about. Not Thaksin.