Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

Pretty weird ..... the rich and influential turning Thailand into a paria state.?? This time next year, after the shortly to arrive coup, Thailand will be like Burma....on everyones blacklist. No tourist industry to speak of, very little foreign investment etc etc. hel_l....if all those rich Bangkok people are that desperate to turn themselves into urban poor, no need for all this fuss...just send the money to me.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just left my office in Banglamphu and followed the normal route down Ratchasima road toward Dusit. I made it as far as the Uni in Ratchasima behind the Parliament and it would appear that the forntline is here. I spoke to a few of the protesters before the police fired CS Gas at us and i started the bike and got out of there. It's a war zone down there at the moment and the air is filled with CS Gas and smoke from the car bomb. The PAD did not appear to be armed, only a few baseball bats. They pointed to the police and told me "Those Police they NOT Thai!" It looks a lot worse than anything bI saw before the previous coup, a lot more seething tension and violence. Not a good night ahead.

Roachie

Not Thai? What are they then? Cambodians? Burmese? Malaysians? I thought Thais loved Thais.

I did hear a few weeks back from the spouse of a BIB that many of the police on the front lines are not police from Bangkok stations. Always easier for police from elsewhere to start shooting at people they don't know or care about. Same situation exists in the UK when outside police forces are often used to diffuse civil disturbances.

I would love to see the TV stations interview the guy standing at the front of the PAD 'mob' (if you want to call it that). He's dressed in long socks and walking shorts. He looks about as scary as a fart in a jam jar.

There's another guy carrying a picture of the King. I don't think those who oppose the PAD should underestimate the feeling of these people who believe (themselves) that they are fighting against a group of people who want to create a republic within the country. No wonder then that the stalemate has gone on and on and on. Blowing the PAD away simply isn't going to happen at the moment without huge repercussions.

Edited by Sunderland

Perhaps the difference would be that in England, America or any other country people consider more developed in its politics, a situation where protesters were able to take over Government House or block Parliament wouldn't happen in the first place. Whenever the above has been allowed to happen, has usually resulted in the collapse of a government in trouble. The difference here is that the same figures do a merry dance, swap seats, change names and alliances and try to convince people that the underlying problems have disappeared.
It's true. Back in The States, we'd set up a "Free Speech Zone" on a deserted street a mile from where anyone could possibly observe the protesting and then arrest anyone who assembled or organized outside of the fence that surrounds the "Free Speech Zone."

Another big difference here is that the Opposition are so silent! Why is Abhisit so restrained on all this to the point of appearing to be so weak! Can you imagine the Opposition in any Western country not having a bit more to say on the subject of their own citizens being shot at/teargassed by a corrupt and discredited government?

Really is quite a pity that Abhisit repeatedly fails to take a political leadership position as, I believe, he is morally capable of doing. This silence, perhaps a calculated lack of courage, cements his unfortunate fate, a loss for Thailand.

Pretty weird ..... the rich and influential turning Thailand into a paria state.?? This time next year, after the shortly to arrive coup, Thailand will be like Burma....on everyones blacklist. No tourist industry to speak of, very little foreign investment etc etc. hel_l....if all those rich Bangkok people are that desperate to turn themselves into urban poor, no need for all this fuss...just send the money to me.

Pretty weird that you post without any idea on what this is about.....

These government now makes Thailand look like Myanmar with violent crackdown on peaceful demonstrators.

At least judging from the pictures I have seen from the clash it sure looks that the PAD demonstrators are armed with Baseball bats and iron pipes, so I guess the peacefull bit can be left out of the discussion from now on.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asi..._Protest?page=3

Perhaps we can leave the tear-gas bit off, as well, from the discussion...

unrest_aw107.jpg

Associated Press

r1440190081.jpg

Reuters

Edited by sriracha john

they discuss the option of changing the way the election system. It is still a democracy. War against Cambodia is just the usual geovalin nonsense. No one beside the Thaksin friends want to harm anyone.

A democratic government is elected, not appointed. Dictators and Juntas are appointed or installed without a democratic vote. In a democratic system, every vote is worth one vote, regardless of your status in life.

Yes this government is for example NOT democratic elected (so the Election Commission says). so they are Dictators in your words.

I'd say the only difference was that they bought more votes than the opposition ... You aren't going to try to tell me that the vote buying was one sided are you?

Yes it was extreme one sided. There were just real minor cases from the opposition, while it was everywhere from the PPP. And even if you can catch some cases of the opposition, how does it make the PPP vote buying better?

With vote buying and specially in such a massive scale, you can't speak about democratic elected anymore. They bought their way into power.

maybe you should open your other eye and look at all the information ... I know whos side your on (I personally dont care either way) but the sweeping untrue statements made by many (on both sides) really mean that ther will never be a clear outcome on this forum and indeed for Thailand.

ne last thing ... disagree with me by all means, but dont twist my words ... I don't believe that the current government are dictators. I do believe that there are a lot of sour grapes that your party didn't get over the line tho.

Finally ... I don't wan to start a war with you (or anyone else) so feel free to respond to this post, however I will not feed further fuel to the fire.

Have a good night and I hope that calm soon returns to Thailand.

Hi :o

If this was "in the west" as some keep on saying, Government House would have been burnt to the ground today. It still amazes me how peaceful the protesters really are - they only defend themselves against immediate attacks, but they don't seem to target property or other people IN ATTACK.

Not sure that the shot and run over policemen would necessarily agree.

Hi :o

If this was "in the west" as some keep on saying, Government House would have been burnt to the ground today. It still amazes me how peaceful the protesters really are - they only defend themselves against immediate attacks, but they don't seem to target property or other people IN ATTACK.

In Germany or France, a protest like this would have seen smashed Windows around town, cars up in flames, burning barricades in the streets and worse. And the police would respond with water cannons - ONLY water cannons.

Demonstrating against an unlawful government (which, again, was elected but NOT DEMOCRATICALLY because they paid voters for their votes) is the only thing these people can do, as "waiting for the next election" would not yield the desired effect - by then those in power will have made sure they can more or less legally buy any election from then on.

And what better place to protest against a government than at the government's work place...... in my opinion, the demonstration/protest including the siege on that property is perfectly legit and a method of true democracy ("people power") at work.

Best regards....

Thanh

The restraint and patience shown by the PAD is quite amazing. More criminal damage is caused by 'chavs' in Sunderland (or any other medium size British city/town) on a single Saturday night than by the PAD protesters in the last 2 months.

Edited by Sunderland

Shawn Crispin has an interesting piece at Asia Times with an interesting conclusion:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JJ08Ae01.html

If history is a guide the forces of reaction will make a concession only when their position deteriorates as in 1992.So far we are not at that point and the PAD mob and its fascist leadership have everything to play for.Events in Thailand can however move quickly and unpredictably.If it looks as though the PAD attempted putsch has been thwarted we can expect serious discussion about a national government on the lines of Crispin's conclusion.

I just heard there's been a car bomb explosion near the protest site. Killed one. Got it from bbc.co.uk.

Anyone heard any updates on this?

Initially reported as being a woman. Has since been reported that it was a man. Believed to be a car bomb as the body was reported to have been blown into pieces.

Another big difference here is that the Opposition are so silent! Why is Abhisit so restrained on all this to the point of appearing to be so weak! Can you imagine the Opposition in any Western country not having a bit more to say on the subject of their own citizens being shot at/teargassed by a corrupt and discredited government?

Can you imagine the Opposition in any Western country actively conniving with unelected anti-democratic pressure groups occupying government property in flagrant defiance of the law?

No, no, on this we part company completely. At least in any 'Western' country, the government was actually voted in on a platform of policies, and not merely to secure the unfreezing of assets from a thoroughly corrupt, murderous and despicable ex pm. What was the very first thing Taksin's proxy did when 'elected'? Propose legalising gambling to enable his soon to return from exile paymaster to embark on his new venture. The one the British Government refused him. He's not used to that you see. :o Together with yet another amendment to the Constitution allowing Taksin easy access back to the trough. If you believe otherwise, you are deluded.

And by the way, the Law must be seen to have earned respect. Recent events show they're getting up to speed.

Edited by jackyseymour

Perhaps the difference would be that in England, America or any other country people consider more developed in its politics, a situation where protesters were able to take over Government House or block Parliament wouldn't happen in the first place. Whenever the above has been allowed to happen, has usually resulted in the collapse of a government in trouble. The difference here is that the same figures do a merry dance, swap seats, change names and alliances and try to convince people that the underlying problems have disappeared.
It's true. Back in The States, we'd set up a "Free Speech Zone" on a deserted street a mile from where anyone could possibly observe the protesting and then arrest anyone who assembled or organized outside of the fence that surrounds the "Free Speech Zone."

Really is quite a pity that Abhisit repeatedly fails to take a political leadership position as, I believe, he is morally capable of doing. This silence, perhaps a calculated lack of courage, cements his unfortunate fate, a loss for Thailand.

Fully agree. Abhisit wants to look neutral. If the government fails and there is need for someone neutral he is the right man. But in fact it looks as you say like lack of leadership. Being the nice guy for everyone is nothing. For sure the PPP is also so strong due to the weakness of Abhisit. if i would be Abhisit I would walk exactly between police and PAD to speak with both. A win/win/win situation: getting insured=hero. Get any success=hero+done the PMs job, Get no success=The PM is violent and don't want peace.

But maybe the sun was too strong, so his nice white face would have got black and ugly.....

Currently watching TNN live. Protesters moved forward to a barricade (barbed wire) separating them from the police.

Lots of tear gas fired and reporter had to run for cover. Police seen advancing and banging their riot shields with batons.

Looks like they are trying to drive back the protesters as far as possible.

Continuous firing of tear gas ... protesters have retreated about 300-400 yards.

Update:

162 injured in crowd dispersal

BANGKOK: -- A hundred and sixty-two people have been injured in crowd dispersal after police fired teargas at protesters at least four times Tuesday, according to Narenthorn Centre.

The teargas were fired since the morning at People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters who were gathering at the Parliament to obstruct cabinet ministers, MPs and senators from entering the site as the government was scheduled to deliver policy statement.

The firing of teargas happened a few times throughout the day, with the major one took place at about 4.30pm, when police tried to disperse the crowd, who were surrounding the Parliament to prevent the ministers, MPs and senators from leaving the site.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-10-07

18:50-18:52 several blasts are heard!

That will be the same blasts of tear gas shown on TNN.

The police seem to have driven back protesters who had gained some ground.

Credit to some of these Thai reporters who are standing right on the frontline ...

I think the quantity of tear gas fired today is also beginning to affect the police as well. Lots of eye rubbing among their ranks.

Currently watching TNN live. Protesters moved forward to a barricade (barbed wire) separating them from the police.

Lots of tear gas fired and reporter had to run for cover. Police seen advancing and banging their riot shields with batons.

Looks like they are trying to drive back the protesters as far as possible.

Continuous firing of tear gas ... protesters have retreated about 300-400 yards.

Is that available on the internet?

I think Crispin lost the plot in regards to Chavalit. According to news reports the old toad was caught completely off guard when police moved to arrest PAD leaders, it was certainly not a part of his "velvet glove" plan. His position as a chief negotiator was further undermined with this morning's crackdown, and so he stepped down.

Royally appointed government is aslo constitutionally impossible. House dissolution is the only available legal option.

Somchai has decided to dig his heels, but he's far worse at keeping peace than Samak ever was, sorry for folks who believed in his soft attitude.

I haven't noticed Democrats' stance reported here. They said they won't walk over people's blood to attend the parliament session. I thought it was a very resolute and powerful message on their part.

The monkey business of climbing over the fence because the MPs can't face the people they are supposed to represent is simply monkey business. There's no point in arguing that they are elected and legitimate. They had their chance to lead the country forward and they blew it - there's a full out war in the streets, and all I can remember from them in a past month is frantic phone calls to London and factional figthing.

Then Somchai said that Thaksin was a good man. Forget arrest warrants, forget his flight from courts, forget his parting words for the justice system, forget his corruption, forget that half the country hates his guts - he is a nice man.

PPP is solely responsible for this latest escalation of violence, starting from arrests of PAD leaders and accepting Weng's draft for consideration. Aren't they the same clowns who put national reconciliation at the top of their agenda? Didn't they read out this policy just this morning, with hundreds of injured bleeding right outside the windows?

I'm sorry, but claims to their legitimacy fly against any common sense. They are blood sucking parasites clinging to power, answerable not to people but solely to Thaksin. I can't pretend otherwise, and I'm sorry for people who can talk about their legitimacy with a straight face.

From the nation

Protesters battle police in front of Metropolitan Police head office

Protesters armed with batons battled police in front of the Metropolitan Police head office at about 7:45 pm.

Police also fired teargases at the protesters.

Fighting was still going on and sounds of teargas firing were heard..

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30085398

Now it is 7.00 PM so the nation seems to know the future.

I have just got back from the Parliament House demonstrations.

I'll check the street names and post photos to prove some of what I saw.

All I can say is that BOTH sides are barking mad. Totally barking mad.

First - there were NO children shields or any other of the tosh like what I have read about on this forum about the previous days clashes. There were some 12 year olds riding on the backs of two pick ups droppig off water at the side of the roads (to douse the coming tear gas) but no kids anywhere else that I saw. No daft parents then.

Yes there was the usual golf club, and strange folk believing that carrying sticks with nails in the end would help the situation. Mixed in with a hard core protestor male cohort were middle aged / middle class folk WEARING SWIMMING GOGGLES to protect themself from any tear gas that would happen. Young lasses out for the outing doing the usual poses for heir cameras.

Some of the PAD were simply asking for it, and had either more balls than a striking Yorkshire miner, or less brainpower than a nat. They were blockading the side entrance with a rolled police van and disabled police and EMS vehicles.

Around 4.00ish tear gas explosions could be heard coming from the side of Parliament House, as the police started to push back the demonstrators, which I would think was to stop the blockade developing further at the side. The police line behind us (about 200m away) on Ratchewti (???) Road opened up, giving an easy exit route to anyone who wanted to get out. Smart move.

I'd say around 50 tear gas cannisters came down on Ratchaweti / Thanon Pichai intersection over the space of an hour and a half. I was back up by the Dusit Zoo side entrance at this time.

I do not know if there were any bull horn warnings for the crowd to move off the public streets or they'd get tear gassed. But I heard nothing.

The police simply came up from one direction and pushed the protestors back from the side of Parliament House, retaking the side gate and the road up to the Pichai / Ratchaweti intersection - many of the PAD bottled it and ran back to the Ratcheweti Bridge over the klong. Most of the women cleared off, even the PAD guard were running like mad when the tear gas came down. And some threw water bottles at the exploding cannisters. There was never more than one cannister fired at a time. Probably three in the space of a minute was the worst it got.

The police then pushed around the front of Parliament House. Pushing back the crowd in front of the gates and the speakers on top of the trucks. (I worked this out later when I popped round there.)

The crazy part is now.

The police having taken back the road "disappeared" - no idea where they went, rather than securing the area, or having another group of police following up to set up lines to stop the protestors coming back.

So then the more ballsy demonstrators went back up the road to the side entrance and rolled (yes rolled) a police van - making it the second one on its side. They took back he ground easily, ground that shouldn't have been left unattended by the police.

Thus the police have to come back again with more tear gas. And they clear it a second time. To then bugger off again.

Then a demonstrator gets in a coach (a coach !!!! - a dobbing big one) and drives it at the police lines.... but he stopped short of them by a fair way after they opened up with more tear gas. (I didn't see pick up trucks go in to the "front line area" other than to pick up those suffering from tear gas burns.)

I decided to come home at this point. My jeans were soaking wet from all the water thrown and I was developing that awful golfer's bum condition us old blokes know too well.

Sorry if it is a garbled account. But I think you get the idea.

War against Cambodia is just the usual geovalin nonsense. No one beside the Thaksin friends want to harm anyone.

It's not the topic today but admit that Sondhi wants Preah Vihear back in Thailand. As Cambodia will not give it, the only way is to take it by force. As Cambodia will fight back, the name of this is "war".

Two policemen in front of Parliament were injured when someone among the protesters fire at them at about 7:50 pm.

The gun firing prompted police to retreat back inside Parliament.

One was fired at his right collarbone and the other above his right chest.

The Nation

(The Nation seems to be in a different time zone to the rest of Thailand) :o

(BangkokPost.com) - Three policemen in the parliament were reportedly shot by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters on Tuesday evening.

Two of them were severely wounded. One of them was shot in the chest while the other was shot in the collarbone. The other was hit in the leg.

The injured officers are waiting for the medics in the parliament.

Edited by Mobi

Protesters drive pickup to hit police

Anti-government protesters drive a pickup and ran over dozens of police at U-Thong Nai intersection in Dusit district on Tuesday.

Some 10 police were injured and were rushed to a hospital nearby. Most injured police suffered broken legs.

Pol Sgt Naruepon Kaewkla, who was also injured, said that a group of police were stationing at the intersection when a group of the protesters drove a pick up and ran towards them.

The sergeant said the hit knocked down many police.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30085391

The night's still young. This isn't going away soon.

If true, that suggests that the PAD have become more agitated and the situation could easily spiral out of control. As soon as the injured/death toll starts to climb at an even faster rate, both sides will become even more agitated and any sense of calm in between periods of advancements and retreats will completely disappear.

You just never know in Thailand. Sometimes, the whole situation just settles again whenever most of us suspect that all hel_l is going to break loose. Here's hoping that the situation calms down over the next few hours.

I think Crispin lost the plot in regards to Chavalit. According to news reports the old toad was caught completely off guard when police moved to arrest PAD leaders, it was certainly not a part of his "velvet glove" plan. His position as a chief negotiator was further undermined with this morning's crackdown, and so he stepped down.

Royally appointed government is aslo constitutionally impossible. House dissolution is the only available legal option.

Somchai has decided to dig his heels, but he's far worse at keeping peace than Samak ever was, sorry for folks who believed in his soft attitude.

I haven't noticed Democrats' stance reported here. They said they won't walk over people's blood to attend the parliament session. I thought it was a very resolute and powerful message on their part.

The monkey business of climbing over the fence because the MPs can't face the people they are supposed to represent is simply monkey business. There's no point in arguing that they are elected and legitimate. They had their chance to lead the country forward and they blew it - there's a full out war in the streets, and all I can remember from them in a past month is frantic phone calls to London and factional figthing.

Then Somchai said that Thaksin was a good man. Forget arrest warrants, forget his flight from courts, forget his parting words for the justice system, forget his corruption, forget that half the country hates his guts - he is a nice man.

PPP is solely responsible for this latest escalation of violence, starting from arrests of PAD leaders and accepting Weng's draft for consideration. Aren't they the same clowns who put national reconciliation at the top of their agenda? Didn't they read out this policy just this morning, with hundreds of injured bleeding right outside the windows?

I'm sorry, but claims to their legitimacy fly against any common sense. They are blood sucking parasites clinging to power, answerable not to people but solely to Thaksin. I can't pretend otherwise, and I'm sorry for people who can talk about their legitimacy with a straight face.

Thailand is changing their constitutions more often than some farangs their underwear.....

That should not be the problem.

Update: 162 injured

A hundred and sixty-two people have been injured in crowd dispersal after police fired tear gas at protesters at least four times Tuesday, according to Narenthorn Centre. The teargas were fired since the morning at PAD supporters who were gathering at the Parliament to obstruct Cabinet ministers, MPs, and Senators from entering the site as the government was scheduled to deliver policy statement. The firing of tear gas happened a few times throughout the day, with the major one taking place at about 4.30pm, when police tried to disperse the crowd, who were surrounding the Parliament to prevent the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131208