Banking

I just went into the bank and asked 'may I open an account?' and they said yes. Bank Ayudha is the one I went to cos it was nearest to where I lived. They gave me an account and a ATM card right away.

Hmmm sounds easy enough, thanks, did you have to show your pasport or any id, or have to have a domicil in Thailand? Where there any demands on behalf of the bank at all?? and then there ofcause is not problem to transfer money from an european account?

Yes you need your passport and an addresss.

Well thats only reasonnable, but is it enough with just an adresse where i live at that time, or do i need a legal residence? Can any person renting a condo there and having a turist visa 2x3 months get an account?

Address where you live is what they want. It can be a condo, apartment or house. A hotel even would work if you have the address with out the name of the hotel. Banks here don't mail out statements for savings accounts so you don't have to worry about that side of it.

A far as the type of visa goes it just depends on the bank you go to. If one turns you down go to another. I know that Siam Commercial is very friendly (my experience) about opening accounts and has branches that are open 7 days a week until 8:30PM. A previous post mentioned Ayudha (spelling ?) Bank.

No problem for incoming international transfers. When you open the account ask the for their SWIFT code you will need that for the bank sending the transfer.

Edited by ubonjoe

The easiest and most reliable information that you need is within yourself. Dress smartly and go to any bank in Thailand and ask for information on how to open a bank account under your name. :D

Thank you guy´s very much, i was told by someone i might need a non-immigrant visa, but i can read this shouldn´t be a problem :o

Thanks again and the best of luck, Erik

To add onto the answers above, the situation for farangs to open Thai bank accounts is very variable, depending on which bank you go to, and sometimes, which branch of that bank you go to. So the answer is to persevere.

Thus, anyone who tells you, "no, you cannot open in your situation" is most likely wrong. Yes, you may be turned away from some bank or some branch. But if you keep trying different ones, eventually you will succeed. Such is the state of things here.

Of course, it is easier to do the more settled you are in Thailand. One-year visas go better than tourist visas... But you still can do with tourist visas. Getting Internet banking, which is an add-on to a regular savings account, certainly is easier with any kind of one-year visa... (O or :o, and very easy if you also happen to have a Thai work permit.

You should bring certain documents with you: passport, anything documenting where you live such as an apartment or condo lease or rental agreement, any work permit you may have, and, once you get a Thai account, the passbook for that account when you go to open at another bank. (Reason being if they aren't being helpful, you can say and show, "Look, SCB was fine with my opening an account. Why are YOU giving me grief...).

If you have a Thai wife or GF, take her with you to assist (unless you don't want her to know about the account... :D ) You'll also typically need to give them a Thai mobile #, especially if you are requesting Internet banking, because they often set up your initial password thru SMS message. And as stated, don't worry about the mailing address, because the banks don't mail statements here.

In opening an account, look to choose a branch that is close to where you live or work. The reason for that is, in Thailand, quite a few bank functions (apart from withdrawals and deposits) can only be done at your HOME branch (i.e., where you opened the account) and not any branch of your bank. Thus, it will be to your convenience to have your home branch be near you.

Some Thai banks, in general, are easier on farang opening new accounts than others. Kasikorn seems to be very cooperative. Bank of Ayudhya is getting good comments here. I and others also have had success with Siam Commercial, though it took me trying a couple of branches before one finally said yes. Hope that helps.

I know of a financial company that provides a a very simple method of advicing on precisely this matter about banking for expats. Its always best to seek for professional guidelines specially from an advisory company that makes things easier