Countrywide 1 AM closing

fatter than harry

Countrywide 1 am closing:

Pracha unmoved by Patong pleas

PHUKET: Venues in entertainment zones in Phuket must close at 1 am, tourist destination or no tourist destination, Deputy Minister of the Interior Pracha Maleenont has declared.

The deputy minister was responding to a request from Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA) to be allowed to stay open until 2 am.

Speaking yesterday to Thai Rak Thai parliamentary candidates Sriyada Palimapan and Wisut Santikul, K. Pracha pointed out that the law defines 1 am as a suitable closing time, and added that he agrees with the law.

He said, “Many entertainment venues are still breaking the law by allowing people under 18 to enter, and some places still have problems with drugs.

“When I launched this policy I intended it to run for 32 months, but entertainment venues are still breaking the law, exploiting the shortage of government officers to check what they are doing.”

K. Pracha conceded that Phuket is the t ourist destination, but so, he said, were Chiang Mai, Haad Yai and Pattaya – and all these places must obey the law that entertainment venues must close at 1 am.

“The law covers all provinces. No province is exempt,” he said.

However, he did say Patong entertainment business operators could present their request for longer opening hours to Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura, who could pass it on to the Ministry of Interior for consideration.

“But the request must be supported by the local community,” he stressed. “Before they approach the Governor, the business people must have a meeting at which the wishes of the local people can be heard.”

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

13:45 local time (GMT +7)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of tourists don't follow Thai news like we do. It will take a couple of years to see the effects of these closing times, after which a couple of seasons worth of tourists will be resentfull at having been sent home early like children when on holiday... word will spread, tourists go elsewhere. Mark my words.

However, he did say Patong entertainment business operators could present their request for longer opening hours to Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura, who could pass it on to the Ministry of Interior for consideration.

“But the request must be supported by the local community,” he stressed. “Before they approach the Governor, the business people must have a meeting at which the wishes of the local people can be heard.”

I'm sure that the powers-that-be are only interested in hearing the public's opinion provided the will of the masses is in agreement with what the government poo-yai have already decided upon.

I agree the law is valid for every province and for all people (i.e. police officers) but early closing times will NOT solve the problems that they want to address ... it will just put people earlier on the street and a lot of dissatisfied people (including tourists) are going to spread the word of being handled as a child and worse...

Countries like Cambodia are going to become new holiday paradises within the next couple of years and Thailand will be for Thai holiday makers again (except for those who live a bit of gambling ofcourse)

net result ... many people are going to be affected on the long/medium term as there will be loss of income for all related industries (including the foodstalls) ...

the problem is complex and there is no "one and direct" solution to the problems addressed (underaged entries, the whole "liberal" industry, the drugs and the alcohol) but I am sure there are better ways to solve them than the closing time.

By the way, the drug problem is not one that is often seen in the "public places" but very visible at many of the "private parties" held by young people ...

my 2 pence ....

" the drug problem is not one that is often seen in the "public places" but very visible at many of the "private parties" held by young people ... "

Yes, you can see that in the half-hearted attempts they make at arrests at the parties that get a little too loud & attract attention.

The high visibility falang establishments often have doormen who card the odd few thai who enter. That's the rediculous part of these early closing rules. The tourist destinations are forced to close, but you can see it everywhere that the thai establishments are nearly immune to the closing times. When they do actually respond to complaints, the thai places reveal underage drinkers and drug use.

If they continue down this garden path eventually they will realize (I hope) that they are targeting the wrong places and they are just crippling their own economy needlessly. Drug use is a complex social issue that has it's roots in the disintegration of the basic family unit and rapid changes in employment and economic conditions. Rather than admit they have a problem, they will do a "thai thing" and blame it on foreign influence and the foreign tourist industry.

How much pain, suffering and death will it take before they will realize there are societal problems at the base of the drug problems?

I smell politicians trying to get re-elected! :o:D

~WISteve

many people are going to be affected on the long/medium term as there will be loss of income for all related industries (including the foodstalls) ...

Are foodstalls considered entertainment venues, will they be forced to close as well? This law will not really effect me because I am seldomly stay up that late when I am in Thailand (my thai friends are really big partiers). I sleep when they sleep. It has happend often when I am in staying at a friends house in patong that, at 2am, I am about to fall asleep and suddenly someone is hungry. Everyone gets up and heads to the foodstall just across the street for some late night noodles. The thai government may or may not have good reasons for passing this law, but I can foresee a decline in the tourist industry. This is bad news for many of my thai thai friends who have employment in this very industry. Either way, this law isn't going to keep this farang out of the LOS.

The majority of tourists don't follow Thai news like we do. It will take a couple of years to see the effects of these closing times, after which a couple of seasons worth of tourists will be resentfull at having been sent home early like children when on holiday... word will spread, tourists go elsewhere. Mark my words.

Sorry I don't think thats right (but I only know about Pattaya) when the closing time changed from 3am to 2am I didn't see a reduction of tourists.

Over the last couple of years there have been more and more people coming here, the Chinese in similar numbers. single males in similar numbers, but I have noticed a massive increase in the number of couples and families

Toxin want to clean up the image of Pattaya, I don't think he's done that, but he (TAT) has certainly sold it as a family resort

And if you have the kids with you on holiday they aren't arsed about closing times

Personally I would like to see 3am closing again as I would rather go out at night when its cooler and sleep in till lunch time

"Phuket, Samui, Pattaya - You can keep them all!

I'm quite happy in my little corner of paradise... "

Good to know with an attitude like that.

Narrow minds deserve little corners.......

----------------------------

It's not that the food carts are forced to close as well. But with fewer people on the streets for fewer hours, what do you think the net result for those vendors will be in the long run?

The entertainment and the party people are already moving out onto the streets in Phuket and Bangkok, with booze sales picking up briskly for the odd fast buck artist with a plastic cooler. Temporarily. The trouble is, how much tax do you expect is being collected and paid by these folks? Pushing them out into the streets just creates more problems with law enforcement and safety IMO. And in the long run it scares away law abiding tourists who spend many weeks and a fair bit of money in Thailand (LIKE ME!)

I love Thailand for many reasons, but one of them is the freedom, relative safety and diversity of entertainment everywhere. The streets seem to be getting a fair bit "meaner" IMO and it doesn't bode well for my future retirement there in a decade or so. Perhaps this and other draconian laws will be the trigger for the next real estate bubble? They seem intent on kicking that golden goose. Eventually some of us will tire of it.

~WISteve

This is a hot topic, I noticed that there are 250 people veiwing this thread as I am posting. Truth of the matter is that the only decent thing about the Thai nightlife, are the girls. If you really want a good night out, with a good choice of beers and the freedom to go home when you want. Then go to Singapore/Tokyo, all have a much better night scene.

There are many Thai run restaurants and garden bars in phuket, particularly in phuket town, and these seem to be imune from the latest regulations. Go there where you and you bottle of whisky etc. will be welcome. The cost of drinks is cheap, food is often available and very good, and there is often some music. I have never seen drug taking- but then again I am not experienced in what to look for. As for under age drinkers they all look pretty young to me, including the local police so what do I know?

For those of us who live here it seems to be a fact that the level of farang bashing will fluctuate as the politicians see advantage or disadvantage. However it surely is obvious that the 'authorities' just don't care what the farang or international community think.

Private parties could be the answer in the big tourist centres, if one wants to drink late with friends. I am sure that there is no problem in the village life outside these large towns, where everybody knows everybody and life continues as it always has.

"Phuket, Samui, Pattaya - You can keep them all!

I'm quite happy in my little corner of paradise... "

Good to know with an attitude like that.

Narrow minds deserve little corners......."

...says the man 12,000 miles away!

If your idea of heaven is watching pissed up westerners puking in the streets, verbally abusing locals and punching the <deleted> out of each other, then I pity you!

You want to get back overhere and see what's happening to thebeach resorts here!

Asia's answer to Ibiza! Shame, Samui in particular used to be a REAL paradise!

...Sure it s drugs again...

Really what s the problem with taking drugs at home? It s lower stress anyway and much more entertaining. And what are they gonna do then? Raid our houses at 2 in the morning to see if we re asleep? Ban gatherings of more than 2 people after midnight? What makes them think that closing down the bars at 1 will stop drug users fron taking drugs and criminals from commiting crimes? it s like listening to my grandma who used to say that drug dealers drop heroine in your coca cola at the disco...

Are there actually people who honestly believe those policies work?

O TEMPORA O MORES!!!!

I wonder what would happen if all the Phuket and Pattaya establishments just refused to close at 1.00AM and all stayed open until 2.00AM or 3.00AM I can't see the authorities closing everywhere down permanantly?

What happened to the Phuket 2 week strike, this is the only action I believe that will make these small minded politicians take notice. People power is the answer here.

This is a hot topic, I noticed that there are 250 people veiwing this thread as I am posting. Truth of the matter is that the only decent thing about the Thai nightlife, are the girls. If you really want a good night out, with a good choice of beers and the freedom to go home when you want. Then go to Singapore/Tokyo, all have a much better night scene.

Dunno about Tokyo but have had some great nights in Singapore and close at 4am or later.

Licencing laws are always controversial, no matter where you are.

Look at the UK, where the majority of licencing magistrates and the police would like to see a relaxation in the archaic laws there.

The general consensus of opinion is that there will always be trouble spots, but the police know where they are and would prefer the fools stay there then have them out on the streets after binge drinking at 11pm.

Consider continental tourists to London or elsewhere. Speak to them at 10.50 pm and they can't believe they're getting thrown out of the pub.

I've run bars in Thailand during the "good old days" and the police always turned a blind eye after 2am as long it was an orderly house and not too loud.

Hopefully, those days may return.

Wow, does this mean I get to see some daylight the next time I go to Pattaya? Instead of going for drinks then going to hollywood disco then taking 6 or more people to Mr. Bill's Karaoke? Wow! I'll save TONS of money and get to work on my tan some!

Everytime I see what New Laws they are Creating in Thailand it makes me not want to Live there. Currently I have Plans to get Married to a Thai Girl and Live in Ko Samui "happily" ever after. I am wondering if the Thai Government is gonna Out Law Happiness pretty soon.

I thought Thailand was Based on Buddhism? I guess the Government officals have all been influenced by the Christian Ideas of Hatred and Contempt of the People, instead of Following the Buddhist Principals of Compassion and Understanding.

What happened to "Land of the Free?" "Land of Smiles?"

How can anyone be Free and Smile if the Government is so Focused on Taking away the things that make people happy, such as Music and Dance, not to mention a little alcohol now and then?

Pretty soon maybe they will adopt Communism, who knows?

But the More I see the Thai Government do, the Less I want to Spend any time there at all. Now I am thinking about just Processing a Finace Visa and Bringing my Girl to the US. Florida is just as Warm as Thailand, and has quite a few Thai Restaurants. As Long as I Have my Thai Girl by my side, why do I need to visit Thailand? Especially if they are going so far out of their way to make me Feel Unwanted there? Can't Dance, Drink, have fun, what's the point?

Mark*

As I am not a heavy drinker and certainly not a drug taker so you would be forgiven for thinking this subject is irrevelent to me, but you would be wrong. Even in good old Birmingham, UK our licensing laws allow a two o'clock finish and Thailand should be no different. Party areas, areas of entertainment need a 2 am or even later finish. Food stalls and market stalls, late night restaurants are needed in all Tourist cetres they provide employment for many and entertainment for many more. Thailand can ill afford to lose such revenue in taxes and employment directly and the spin off revenue from associated activities.

As a middle aged english man I do not get out too often but when on holiday I like to party and stay out late that is what being on holiday is all about.

(I have home in Thailand ((BKK)) and my wife is Thai, she doesnt drink at all but enjoys the scene when out and about).

I believe young people will slowly drift away to other destinations and it is the young that give holiday destinations it urgency and buzz.

Everytime I see what New Laws they are Creating in Thailand it makes me not want to Live there. Currently I have Plans to get Married to a Thai Girl and Live in Ko Samui "happily" ever after. I am wondering if the Thai Government is gonna Out Law Happiness pretty soon.

I thought Thailand was Based on Buddhism? I guess the Government officals have all been influenced by the Christian Ideas of Hatred and Contempt of the People, instead of Following the Buddhist Principals of Compassion and Understanding.

What happened to "Land of the Free?" "Land of Smiles?"

How can anyone be Free and Smile if the Government is so Focused on Taking away the things that make people happy, such as Music and Dance, not to mention a little alcohol now and then?

Pretty soon maybe they will adopt Communism, who knows?

But the More I see the Thai Government do, the Less I want to Spend any time there at all. Now I am thinking about just Processing a Finace Visa and Bringing my Girl to the US. Florida is just as Warm as Thailand, and has quite a few Thai Restaurants. As Long as I Have my Thai Girl by my side, why do I need to visit Thailand? Especially if they are going so far out of their way to make me Feel Unwanted there? Can't Dance, Drink, have fun, what's the point?

Mark*

If it'll keep some of the <deleted> tw*ts out of Thailand, all the better.

Send 'em to Singapore...that'll sort them out. It'll empty their pockets faster than a Soi Cowboy slag.

One bummer I have noticed......people tend to drink faster, up-chuck faster and drive faster to beat the closing hours. Now, if only Pracha & Co could ban drink-driving.......

Dunno about Tokyo but have had some great nights in Singapore and close at 4am or later.

:D add kl, went there last weekend, got back at my friends place plastered at about 4.30am and the bars/discos were still going! :o

by the way great manila chicks there! :D

off to singapore this weekend.... :D

What is the point of having closing times anyway ?

In the state of Victoria, Australia, we got rid of them about six years ago. No trouble, no "drinking up", no problems.

If you finish work at 2am (eg firefighters) you can go for a drink. If you finish night shift at 7 am you can go for a drink.

Why have licensing hours ????

I've been here for a good number of years now and my time here has been fun, but we have entered a dark era of a fascist bully boy and his cronies.

Each day I walk to work and walk head bent down in order to avoid all the dog excrement lying around on the ground, trying not to trip over the upturned pavements, fighting off pick pockets in Pantip Plaza, telling everyother idiot there that I don't want a "SEXY MOVIE...SEXY DVD".

Cables hang from posts, or are wrapped around fences to stop them from falling onto the floor, buses billow fumes, traffic still sucks, policemen who admit to murder get released on bail, police still line up along the road hungry for "tea money" and the best this governmetn can do is shut the bars an hour early.

Well done chaps. You really know how to make a country great again !!!

What is the point of having closing times anyway ?

In the state of Victoria, Australia, we got rid of them about six years ago. No trouble, no "drinking up", no problems.

If you finish work at 2am (eg firefighters) you can go for a drink. If you finish night shift at 7 am you can go for a drink.

Why have licensing hours ????

The night life in Melbourne is good, party as long as you like. The only down side, is that there are alot of prima donnas on the doors of night clubs, with their little bits of red rope and guest lists. I mentioned Tokyo earlier, it is a good place to go out to lots of bars that don't close until dawn and lots good music.

What a joke, as is most things in Thailand. It's all about the money and payoff. Like I just did with traffic cop in Chaiapum, who knew the light was not working at all, but still told me it was red. Then let the other three cars go.

Was in Chaing Mai a few weeks ago and bars open till ...well they never closed only pulled down the doors and the girls were there all night . Cops what cops?

Come on it's all a joke anyone that does not pay off the cops will be closed and hassled till they do pay off. It's absolute corruption and it's never goes away.

Stop making it seem like it's going to go away.

If you like it here then get use to it. As a tourist there is plenty to do all night like in Bangkok , when the bars close, just go sit on the sidewalk and drink as long as you want, heck maybe a cop will be sitting next to you. no license and no door ( pretty hard to close). talk about your jokes.

Stop making it seem like it's going to go away.

Chaing Rai, same goes bars and clubs open all night. more guys selling drugs that you want to ever see in a lifetime. Does not that a cop to fine them. just have your eyes open.

It's not going away. If the government wanted to make it go away they could, but then again they would not all be driving a Mercedes on 108,000 a month would they?

absolute corruption !

I lived in Melbourne before I came to Thailand and was astonished that the bars shut so early here. Normally the night doesn't start happenin' till 2AM so Thailand is going downhill fast. Perhaps the people who rely on the night industry for an income will mass together and get rid of this fascist government at the next election.