Air Quality

Mikey7

hi all,

To my misfortune after 5 years in Thai;and I have never made it to your beautiful city. Now the doctor tells me I must move from Isaan because of my allergies. Does anyone have any experience in this up your way? Is the altitude and climate right to limit the pollens in the air? I will come and check it out anyway,since I always wanted to visit but hopefully someone there with asthma can give me some info . Thanks all.

hi all,

To my misfortune after 5 years in Thai;and I have never made it to your beautiful city. Now the doctor tells me I must move from Isaan because of my allergies. Does anyone have any experience in this up your way? Is the altitude and climate right to limit the pollens in the air? I will come and check it out anyway,since I always wanted to visit but hopefully someone there with asthma can give me some info . Thanks all.

Hi Mikey7,

Do you know which allergens cause you the most problems? If so, you might also post over in the "Health .." forum. There are some medical pros over there.

hi all,

Last year the Chiang Rai air quality was quite good in Feb/Mar, but the previous year it was pretty mirky, but not as bad as Chiang Mai where it was grim. I think it is better here than Isaan. Good luck!

If we have a long dry, rainless winter, we get the jungle fire hazes here too. Last year wasn't too bad. A lot of jungle

fires are started by humans, chasing snakes, etc. Isn't much lightning in wintertime, but if we get, will start jungle fires.

I used to have allergies in the UK. Never pinned them down specifically. Here in Chiang Rai I don't have any problems. I suspect there's pollen here most of the year as there always seems to be some tree in flower. Even with the seasonal Burning and a local problem of black smoke from the underpowered farm vehicles , my Health is much better here. Never been to Issan but I suspect we have a better climate.

If the OP's allergies and asthma are severe, it might be a good idea to find a good allergy clinic where they can test to see which allergens are at fault.

During my tour in 'Nam, I saw a Montenyard dam_n near die of a severe asthmatic attack .. and likely would have except for a timely shot of epinephrine.

Asthma literally can be fatal.

Hey scea, twasn't me who pinned that.

Probably some lowlander out of town mod from the big city. :D

Me, I'm Pro-Haze. Love the stuff.... :o

Back on thread, yup, you have to have an allergist MD to do a proper patch test, which can take a lot of time to do correctly. There are no guarantees that the same allergens that bother you in Isan do not also exist here....I would guess that very possibly they DO also exist here.

Best wishes to the OP to find resolution.

I used to have allergies in the UK. Never pinned them down specifically. Here in Chiang Rai I don't have any problems. I suspect there's pollen here most of the year as there always seems to be some tree in flower. Even with the seasonal Burning and a local problem of black smoke from the underpowered farm vehicles , my Health is much better here. Never been to Issan but I suspect we have a better climate.

Thanks all for the replies. I was hoping a bit of altitude or a change in the flora might make a difference. I've had the scratch tests and seems I am allergic to anything that can possibly be in the air L. Anyway just to confirm it I came to your city. And for future reference its about the same as Isaan except the cooler temps help some. Looks like I am locked into going to the islands. Love the city tho. Hope to hang out for a few days and catch the sights. Thanks again.