Wanted: Good Private Thai Teacher In Bangkok

as2100dk

IMHO learning with a private teacher isn't the best way to learn Thai, I've had around 10 private teachers and apart from one who was helping me with exam preparation they all had trouble structuring anything that even closely resembled a course.

Bear in mind there isn't any standard accepted training for teaching Thai to foreigners, so often their only "qualification" is that they can speak English. Although it's a debated issue, speaking your students language is often considered to be detrimental to your development in their language. At beginner level this is often not the case but I can certainly think of one teacher in particular who I've had who was basically charging me to teach him.

They may of course have some experience but trust me when I say that experience witthout training has lead to some of the worst language teachers I have seen (and I'm not just talking about Thai teachers now).

Your best bet is to contact one of the better known language schools and ask for a one on one. At least this way they will have had some training in whatever system it is they use and some experience in teaching from it. If you're a beginner then it should be OK but as soon as you finish their books expect a lot of unprepared nonsense.

Others may tell you of good teachers they have had but unfortunately the good ones don't tend to be as available. I would advise trying to find a school that fits into your working hours. I know AUA's method is flexible and also that UTL where I studied previuosly is offering an evening session now. Other than that read a lot and hang around here, I've learnt more that way than from any of my private teachers

For beginners, withnail is probably correct. But at a higher level, I wouldn't be so quick to knock private instruction, or hew to the bias of "better known" schools. I've had excellent instruction from teachers at a couple less well-known schools, both in the classroom and outside of it. I think it all depends on the teacher - and the student, of course. The big schools seem to be very rigid in their methods, which can either be good, or a waste of time. By the latter I mean that copying words is not a very good use of class time, for me. I can and should do that on my own. But in the course of daily life, one may develop many questions and uncertainties about usage, colloquial speech, etc., and it is helpful to write down those questions, and then spend the teacher's time by having her explain and illuminate what one feels is important to know - for one's own particular communication skills and needs. If, for example, one is interested in political discourse, one is not likely to become very conversant in the subject by attending a rigid predetermined instruction program. Personally, I'd rather structure my own course, but each person should decide what is best for him/herself. Cheers.

Edited by mangkorn

Others may tell you of good teachers they have had but unfortunately the good ones don't tend to be as available.

No doubt that is true, but only if you limit yourself to AUA or UTL. Thailand is a very big country, and Bangkok is a very big city. For example, I studied at a wonderful small school - and because I was at an advanced level, the owner herself took me on, and from there we became good friends. We meet up socially sometimes, and I take full advantage of those occasions to continue the student/teacher relationship. I'm just saying...

There are more than enough thai language schools in the Bangkok Metro area. I have taken the "free lesson" at more than 20 of them, and barely scratched the surface of available schools.

Once we are adults, different people learn differently. What is a great school and method for me might be a not so great school/method for you, and vice-versa.

Go take the free lessons at several schools. ASK for references of people currently attending the school and talk to them. Look at the school's teaching material. Decide what your focus is; do you want to speak right out of the gate, or is reading more important.

Obviously the more lessons you buy up-front the greater the discount, but they are banking on you losing interest and washing out. NEVER forget they are in the business to make money, you actually learning thai is secondary.

Above all NEVER EVER pay a single baht for any lessons if you're not 100% sure about the school, the method or if you will attend. Remember this being the glorious "Land 'O Thais", a refund on language lessons is nonexistent.