Fish Ponds & Predators

GungaDin

Fish ponds / aquaculture

I noticed a lot of uncovered fishponds in the pics in another topic.

What predators have you experienced apart from village tea-leaves?

What is your location?

Birds, snakes, rats, otters etc.?

Whats a village tea-leaves?

Well, I've got a 60m x 40m x 5m reservoir/pond....that was dug a few months ago. From the rain alone, its filled up already. According to my brother, there are signs of frogs, fish, and other creatures calling it home.

This was a dedicated reservoir, so we would welcome any aqua animals...so i'm pretty sure there would be preys and predators combatting each other. As to what, I haven't a clue...maybe some of them Pla chon will walk in some day and settle in.

Whats a village tea-leaves?

Well, I've got a 60m x 40m x 5m reservoir/pond....that was dug a few months ago. From the rain alone, its filled up already. According to my brother, there are signs of frogs, fish, and other creatures calling it home.

This was a dedicated reservoir, so we would welcome any aqua animals...so i'm pretty sure there would be preys and predators combatting each other. As to what, I haven't a clue...maybe some of them Pla chon will walk in some day and settle in.

I think its referring to poachers

UK London cockney rythming slang. Tea Leaf Thief, apples & pears, stairs, deep sea diver, fiver, as in 5pounds, [money] ect ect ect..

Back to the subject, predators will remove your fish slowly, where tea leaves will do it in one go....

• 5 months later...
Does anyone cover their ponds with shade cloth?

Expensive?

Standard pond size in Aus is 50m x 20m x 2m

for our ponds we grow lotus as shade and use the flowers and stems in "Gaeng som" add a few ducks this will help you give that extra free food for the fish, or two geese, they keep other birds away.

Tea leaves a slang for thiefs, as mentioned.

do not use nets this kills the birds who fly into them.