New Burrito Place

Ulysses G.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went to diablos ..o.k. if large is what you need...but one thing for sure never go back to migils have to juts give up no more chances.... just too plain ,tastless over priced

i think 200 baht or so for 1/2 a "steak" tostotoe (sp) what a deal.. yes i mean take a tostaoto thencut it in halve and serve , this ain't newport beach,ca.

this place seems clean but for the cash they charge it should have air con seating... and possibly a chef who can make food taste good....

went to diablos ..o.k. if large is what you need...but one thing for sure never go back to migils have to juts give up no more chances.... just too plain ,tastless over priced

i think 200 baht or so for 1/2 a "steak" tostotoe (sp) what a deal.. yes i mean take a tostaoto thencut it in halve and serve , this ain't newport beach,ca.

this place seems clean but for the cash they charge it should have air con seating... and possibly a chef who can make food taste good....

What is a tostotoe??? Is that something with testosterone in it?

HEY SORRY MIGILS WAS SO UN REMARKABLE...SO PLIAN TASTESLESS ... ANYWAY>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT TOSS-TAH TOE ,,,NO NOT THAT...... BUT A QUES-ADEE-TO(SP) SPELLING IS ALL "CODE" NON MEX SPELLING OF ITEMS SO WE DO NOT UPSET THE COUNRTY OF MEXICO WITH PASSING OFF SUCH PLAIN SWILL AS MEXICAN...ONLY IN THAILAND CAN THER BE SUCH CONFUSION AS TO WHAT IS WHAT AS FAR AS GOOD FOOD GOES...

HEY SORRY MIGILS WAS SO UN REMARKABLE...SO PLIAN TASTESLESS ... ANYWAY>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT TOSS-TAH TOE ,,,NO NOT THAT...... BUT A QUES-ADEE-TO(SP) SPELLING IS ALL "CODE" NON MEX SPELLING OF ITEMS SO WE DO NOT UPSET THE COUNRTY OF MEXICO WITH PASSING OFF SUCH PLAIN SWILL AS MEXICAN...ONLY IN THAILAND CAN THER BE SUCH CONFUSION AS TO WHAT IS WHAT AS FAR AS GOOD FOOD GOES...

What?

Mr. Gatorhead333, haven't I seen you stuffing down large portions of the Duke's Mexican cuisine? Does that mean that is the real good stuff? You seem like a real clever gourmet man that can teach the rest of us a lesson in where to get the real good authentic Mexican food.

By the way, which did you hate more, diablos or Miguels?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Went to Diablo's for the first time last week and I thought it was great. Free chips to enjoy while you're waiting and the chicken burrito I ordered was delicious. Good size portion for the price. I've been back again already and will go again for sure.

Mr.U-let's see,,... mex at the ducks....???? i can honestly say i have not been there eating that ,done that mex food for well over 8 months...so you musts have an excellent memory for past pig outs....not sure about that though.....and not to say the food mex food there isn't o.k.

this has absolutely nothing to do with migils or diablows so lets stay on track..... (but i have dined at the ducks in the last 6 months for only one item i.e. grilled tuna sandwich hold the bun ,hold the sause ,cook in olive oil only, bring on a big big bowl dry coleslaw then add balcomic and olive oil....this i know you have witnessed a pig out for sure....also you can find me dining fine at French place Marco's eat raw tuna in olive oil salad or the seared tuna whenh he has it .... i have been on a serious health kick as of late.......but of course i pig on other foods sometimes ...

again lets stay on track

since you seem a bit upset ...

i gave Migil many chances and maybe if you are drunk late at night ,go in starved it is o.k. ,but so is mc dee's for me....

and yes the guess it is a steak quesadeto was very good but at 210 baht for 1/2 serving seems to me a bit expenive for here... kinda takes the fun out of it when it is time to pay and you need two more orders....YOU THINK??? maybe it is a deal for your budget ... but not for me....

*********** in case thai money is confusing for you>>>>>>>210 baht = about ~~~~$6.50 usa money= 1/2 steak quesodeto .. maybe i need to work harder so i can delight in such ..... wrong.. but it is good.... other items are bummers though....and

let's not cry over migils, as stated mr migil and his mexican cooking crew do have a nice store front which does makes it an excellent tourist trap so this is great planning but ..

as far as diablows i did not say one negative thing about it .... i think i said the buritto was big for people that needed big and was o.k.... now i will add it is 1/2 cost of migils ... so what's the beef?? what the heck do you want?/ install a pole and run a mexy flag up it for Diablows??? maybe a non stop mexican hat dance for the next year to celebrate the big ass buritto??? O.K..O.K. We can hang a piyata and fly in authentic mexicans and have then beat the heck out of it!!! maybe all thre at once with a mexican band playing in front??? sound good??? BUT

If you can honestly tell everyone here ....tell us migils is not relatively over priced for chiang mai ,thailand,plain mex food with no kick in a nice storefront that still allows the flies ,tuk tuk smog in to dine with and everybody will know you are eating there for free!!!

but i apologis using the word "swill" certainly this was a strong word for thailand and of course plain food is not swill so this was over stated..... it may well be fine for the people who do not care for spicy, real kick ass mex food...that reminds me....!!!@>>. California Wraps next to Rimping in Hong Dong has a thai lady about ~~55 years old there that lived right in East L.A. for 25 years... not to mention she has been married to a mexican man for 30 years ..oh and i almost forgot she graduated from Cordon Blue Culinarey Arts School branch in L.A..... this has pretty good mexican food .... u think???? everything made to order,tamoles like nothing you have had here in t-land before and for you guys that do not need spicy she keep it kinda regular then has salsa and will gives you chopped onions,then if need spicy chops fresh chillis and if that doesn't do it she has green and red tobasco sause to really do yourself in . i dump it all on..but have not dined there for 7-8 months being on a live longer and prosper theme food wise....

Very true, Miguel's it's overrated. I went there once, saw the sign for the "giant quesadillas" and I ordered it, well, don't know what the giant was all about since it was an small plate (I would call it deceptive advertising), 4 small pieces, I was used to eat those in california that were an actual "full" plate, and anyway, not that tasty either and overpriced. I'll try Diablos next time.

I just hate to see a good business ripped apart for no reason as someone has put a lot of time, work and money into it and is trying to make a living. The place is full of Americans who know Mexican food almost every time I go there, and as far as it being a "tourist trap", it is not air-con and in a terrible location and does not do a lot of advertising, yet it always has customers - year round - when other places are totally empty. Those of us who like it feel that we are lucky to have it in Chiang Mai.

Some people do not like their food, but a lot of people do. All that proves is, that some folks prefer a different taste or style, not that it is "tasteless".

If someone feels that it is too expensive then don't go there. I can get stuffed on about 200 baht and it is the best Mexican food that I have had in many years, so I am pretty happy with the place. I don't really care what Mexican food costs in America as a plane ticket and hotel pushes the cost up considerably. :o

I tried Diablo's recently, hoping they would be better than Miguel's. The chips were OK, the salsa very good, the free water excellent. (How does Miguel's get away with refusing to serve free water at their prices??) They had a "chorizo burrito" on the menu. No point in trying anything else. Chorizo isn't very common in Thailand, although I have seen it in Rimping. What they served was huge, but tasteless, burrito. The 'chorizo' was a bland Thai sausage. I can buy better Thai sausages from half the vendors at any of the Thai markets, and they'll all be closer to Mexican chorizo than what Diablos tried to pass off as chorizo. Needless to say, I won't be back anytime soon.

Miguel's food is much, much better than it used to be, which isn't really saying much. And since it's still way overpriced, I won't be going back there anytime soon either. I can wait til my annual trip to New York where I can get twice the food and at a lower price. Not to mention that the Mexican food in NY is authentic Pueblan-style Mexican food.

You can get French, Italian, and German food here for a fraction of what it would cost in the "home" country or in NY. Why is Mexican food so expensive?

Now, if someone can find a good Polish restaurant, I'd be happy to pay in Zloty's.

Not to mention that the Mexican food in NY is authentic Pueblan-style Mexican food.

That's cuz all the chefs in NYC, real chefs, are from Puebla Mexico. :o

I prefer Sonoran style...

How 'bout a Sonoran hot dog...no kiddin', wash 'er down with a ice cold Tecate

post-46099-1238589816_thumb.jpg

Just want to inform that El Diablo's is now available from MealsOnWheels.

I feel I must comment that it's a shame so many negative losers need to congregate

on these websites. In years past they could only annoy others from barstools.

& I'm truly tempted to explain to bitter old Mr El Jefe that he doesn't know his burro from a hole in the ground but I'm much too busy cooking and prefer to stay out of his gutter. :o

Thai sausage indeed! What a philistine.

-El D

Just want to inform that El Diablo's is now available from MealsOnWheels.

[/size]

I feel I must comment that it's a shame so many negative losers need to congregate

on these websites. In years past they could only annoy others from barstools.

& I'm truly tempted to explain to bitter old Mr El Jefe that he doesn't know his burro from a hole in the ground but I'm much too busy cooking and prefer to stay out of his gutter. :o

ate at diablows last night ... it is good ,, if you need extra kick they have a condiment tray.... the green chilli salse was wonderful!!i bathed the burito in it and drown the quesadeta in it too using the bowl of the red salsa on table te table to kick it all in....a double wammy it was great!!

when i feel the need for mex... i have to go back for the all in inclusive.... #1-pickled veggies (as seen in mexico) ,#2-crunchy chewy chips and salsa(again very mexican and very free !!) ,#3 extra salsas tray (the green is good!!) ask for it...great green chili sause wonderful taste... did i say that before ???water in huge glass

and beautiful, smiling waitress doing a great job...

hey even if you add up the free chips salsa,pickeled veggies,beautiful smiling waitress extra salsa tray...this place is real deal. once i added the high octane... hey don't order sausage anywhere in the world not anywhere ... forget it...not heathly anyway,processed meat bad not good for u... the chicken borito was good! next time it wll be a hog out on the pig or beef....the only thing that needs to be added is chopped onion but maybe if i asked for it it would have appeared....

i may put up a flag pole and raise the mexy flag...

I POSTED THIS IN WRONG BOX... OH WELL.... Edited by gatorhead333

I just hate to see a good business ripped apart for no reason as someone has put a lot of time, work and money into it and is trying to make a living. The place is full of Americans who know Mexican food almost every time I go there, and as far as it being a "tourist trap", it is not air-con and in a terrible location and does not do a lot of advertising, yet it always has customers - year round - when other places are totally empty. Those of us who like it feel that we are lucky to have it in Chiang Mai.

Some people do not like their food, but a lot of people do. All that proves is, that some folks prefer a different taste or style, not that it is "tasteless".

If someone feels that it is too expensive then don't go there. I can get stuffed on about 200 baht and it is the best Mexican food that I have had in many years, so I am pretty happy with the place. I don't really care what Mexican food costs in America as a plane ticket and hotel pushes the cost up considerably. :o

O.K.!!! THANKS FOR SENDING ME TO DIABLOWS I ATE THERE AGAIN LAST NIGHT IT'S GOOD .IT'S O.K. WITH SALSAS .I THANK YOU.BUT I DO HAVE TO QUESTION BEANS AND RICE SO HEAVY IN BURITIOS AND IN QUESDETAS TOO . I WOULD THINK FOR MANY THIS WOULD THROW A CURVE BALL THINK BUT FOR ME IT BE O.K. EASIER THIS WAY MAKING A BIG FAT BURITO THAN PAYING EXTRA AT MIGILS FOR A SIDE OF BEANS ( OH YEH MIGILS EXTRA $ FOR CHIPS SALSA, PAY FOR WATER ETC ETC ETC") I WOULD THINK.. I LOVE SPICY AND ONCE YOU ADD THE SEVERALS SALSAS AT DIABLOWS IS FUN...BUT I LIKE SPICY AND I HONESTLY HAVE NO LOVE FOR BLAND PLAIN,TASTLESS MEXICAN FOOD, IT IS QUITE APPARENT YOU DO SO LETS LEAVE IT AT THAT....

BUT I HAVE TO COMMENT:

200 BAHT LEAVE FULL FROM MIGILS ...THIS IS A DREAM I THINK YOU KNOW IT BUT MAYBE 200 BAHT AS A SNACK AS YOU ARE WAITING TO GO TO DINNER....

PACKED WITH FARANGS YEAR ROUND??? THE PLACE IS A TRUE GHOST TOWN AS I DRIVE BY IT IN MY CAR... EXCEPT WHEN THE UNSUSPECTING CHRISTAINS BLOW INTO TOWN FOR CONVENTIONS ...GOD BLESS THEM... BUT AGAIN TOURIST..

NO ADVERTISING ???????HEY OBVIOUSLY YOU DO NOT PEER AT THE CHIANG MAI RAGS NOR SCOOP ALL THE MIGILS LITERATURE PLASTERED ALL OVER TOWN WITH PHOTOS OF MEXICAN FOOD ALL OVER IT.. AGAIN ADVERTISING UP THE YING YANG....

AND BOO HOO... BOO HOO..WHO CARES ABOUT " LOT OF TIME, WORK AND MONEY... WHO CARES..MOST EVERYBODY HERE HAS TO WORK FOR A LIVING AND HAS THEIR BUTT ON THE LINE ,SO NO BOO HOOS FOR ANYBODY JUST BECAUSE YOU ERECT A STOREFRONT DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE OWED A THING!

I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE HECK THIS RAP WAS ALL ABOUT......

IF ANYTHING IT MEANS SINK OR SWIM , DO A GOOD JOB OR SHIVEL UP LIKE A CHILLI AND BLOW AWAY...

THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING OR IN THE SALSA AS THE CASE MAY BE...

ALL THIS BEING SAID ...

WHO CARES ANYWAY???

WHAT ?? ME WORRY... I DON'T THINK SO..

Since we know each other, it might be a good idea to stop any internet feud right now.

If you want to slam a good business for no reason at all, go ahead. Is this supposed to be funny? If someone was doing it to you, I don't think you would find it so amusing.

No chimichangas on Miguel's menu online. Also in the photo of the burrito on Miguel's website it doesn't look fried.

img-tacos.jpg

I'm not a burrito fan, so haven't tried them on either side of the moat.

The chimichanga appears to have been an Arizona invention. I've seen a few places in Sonora, Mexico serving them but they're called chivichanga there.

Food is like tea - one man's cup of tea is not another man's cup of tea. We all like different things. Diablos and Miguels are different and that is so refreshing in a world where every western shopping mall looks exactly the same; every main street has the same franchised junk food restaurants; every pleb complains about the same things.

Chiang Mai is not bland and we are very lucky that we have these choices. The franchises are trying hard to take over but luckily we have expats who get off their arse and try really hard to sell you something they feel you will want to buy.

I'm with UG on this one in that one person's opinion may unfairly seriously affect the success of someone's livelihood. Read the positive posts for these restaurants and ignore the rantings imo.

To me (and Oxford) they seem the same...

fried past and past participle of fry1.

· adj.

1 (of food) cooked in hot fat or oil.

2 N. Amer. informal exhausted.

grill1

· n. Brit.

1 a device on a cooker that radiates heat downwards for cooking food.

2 a gridiron used for cooking food on an open fire.

3 a dish of food, especially meat, cooked using a grill.

4 a restaurant serving grilled food.

· v.

1 cook with a grill.

2 informal subject to intense questioning or interrogation.

– DERIVATIVES griller n.

– ORIGIN C17: from Fr. gril (n.), griller (v.), from OFr. graille ‘grille’.

Edited by Ajarn

· adj.

grill1

· n. Brit.

· v.

1 cook with a grill.

– DERIVATIVES griller n.

– ORIGIN C17: from Fr. gril (n.), griller (v.), from OFr. graille 'grille'.

I am using the term as it would be used in restaurants. Deep frying means cooking by total immersion in hot oil. Pan frying is cooking by partial immersion in oil (thus, french fries and chicken can be fried in 1/4-1/2" of cooking oil). Grilling is cooking on a flat or slotted surface which is heated. A small amount of oil is used to prevent sticking, but the cooking is accomplished by the food coming into contact with the heated surface, not heated oil. Thus, grilled fish, grilled chops and grilled sausages.

· adj.

grill1

· n. Brit.

· v.

1 cook with a grill.

– DERIVATIVES griller n.

– ORIGIN C17: from Fr. gril (n.), griller (v.), from OFr. graille 'grille'.

I am using the term as it would be used in restaurants. Deep frying means cooking by total immersion in hot oil. Pan frying is cooking by partial immersion in oil (thus, french fries and chicken can be fried in 1/4-1/2" of cooking oil). Grilling is cooking on a flat or slotted surface which is heated. A small amount of oil is used to prevent sticking, but the cooking is accomplished by the food coming into contact with the heated surface, not heated oil. Thus, grilled fish, grilled chops and grilled sausages.

Your ideas which some share, and some don't :o

Yes indeedeey...

The "chimy" is an Arizona invention. Deep fried to preserve the goodness for all day, to enjoy throughout the day whilst mowing lawns.

But I am afraid of the new wall being built on the border, what will happen then.

We must be careful or all our cooks will be gone.

post-46099-1238824667_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1238824859_thumb.jpg