New Burrito Place

Ulysses G.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both Miguel's and Diablo Burrito.

A confirmed chowhounddotcom foodie, who has traveled and lived extensively in Mexico.

For a city in northern Thailand, we are blessed to have these establishments, even though the nit-pickers among us will no doubt find fault.

Steamed or fried, black beans or pinto, queso ranchero or whatever....it's all good, IMHO. :o

I'm sure the aficionados will shoot me down but I like the Mexican food in Bake and Bite as well. probably the only time I've ordered Mexican food in Chiang Mai and really didn't enjoy the experience was at the old Drunken Flower. I used to order the fajitas after a few beers - seemed such a good idea at the time but kapaow gai was more authentic than their effort.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be any Mexican food that doesn't come wrapped in something dough-like or otherwise has an overload of carbs in it..

There is plenty of Mexican food that doesn't come wrapped in something or have a lot of carbs. Shrimp sauteed in lots of garlic, snapper with a tomato sweet pepper sauce, pork or turkey baked with mole. What most westerners like are the tacos or burritos. Try fajitas w/o tortillas and hold the rice.

I like both Miguel's and Diablo Burrito.

A confirmed chowhounddotcom foodie, who has traveled and lived extensively in Mexico.

For a city in northern Thailand, we are blessed to have these establishments, even though the nit-pickers among us will no doubt find fault.

Steamed or fried, black beans or pinto, queso ranchero or whatever....it's all good, IMHO. :o

I'm a regular reader and poster on Chowhound too.

This is from their website:

Chowhound has a narrow mission: to allow unbiased consumers to share honest chow opinions with their fellow consumers.

I have no bias, although at least one of the posters on this thread obviously does. I have no major objection to business owners posting on threads about their establishment, but I do think it's a problem when a poster (a moderator, no less) says that anyone who disagrees with him is a "nitpicker"?

Edited by el jefe

I also lived in South Texas and Mexico. I simply don't enjoy large burritos. I am also not crazy about tamales. As others have said, it's great to have so much Mexican food here. A former resident of Veracruz State said Hideaway Restaraurant off Hang Dong Road is good.

> Hideaway Restaraurant off Hang Dong Road is good.

I think it's reasonable, but not really worth going out of your way for.

It's operated by Dacheeso, so the same place where you go to buy their overly bland cheese and watery yogurt. :o

It's located in Moo Ban Amorn-Nivet, which is on the Hang Dong road on the left side when going out of town, a left turn JUST before the big Siam Commercial Bank. Then just keep going until you see it on the left hand side.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It's operated by Dacheeso, so the same place where you go to buy their overly bland cheese and watery yogurt. :o

It's located in Moo Ban Amorn-Nivet, which is on the Hang Dong road on the left side when going out of town, a left turn JUST before the big Siam Commercial Bank. Then just keep going until you see it on the left hand side.

I couldn't agree with you more. :D

As someone else said:

"For a city in northern Thailand, we are blessed to have these establishments, even though the nit-pickers among us will no doubt find fault."

I've never been to the Hideaway. Just in case it's not clear, please note the sarcasm.

post-68450-1240971703_thumb.jpgOne customer likes the nachos on lettuce, not tortilla chips

Mr. U;

Why not promote Pinky's on their own thread?

If you truly want to avoid comparison/insults/trashing etc., I think it would be a good idea, yes?

I predict in the future everyone will have a burrito for sale.

-El D

Edited by sabaijai
duplicate photos deleted

As someone else said:

"For a city in northern Thailand, we are blessed to have these establishments, even though the nit-pickers among us will no doubt find fault."

And I feel especially blessed to have Mainland 'Vintage' cheese (167 baht / 250 grm) which is really a very decent aged cheese, as well as Makro which does 1 kg grated cheddar (frozen) for 350 baht, as well as 1 kg sliced for 370 baht (not frozen), which is just about the cheapest around, and a very good general purpose cheese such as for sandwiches and for cooking/grilling. (They also have those big logs of at least 2 kgs but I don't have a freezer so the purchase quantity is a bit too large)

Mr. U;

If you truly want to avoid comparison/insults/trashing etc., I think it would be a good idea, yes?

-El D

Sorry. My intention was not to promote Pinkey's burritos as I haven't even tried them. I was just passing it on that they have them available and that they are a different type than other places around town.

This whole thread is full of information on different restaurants in Chiang Mai selling Mexican food. I'm not really sure why you are offended by my mentioning Pinky's, but I won't do it again. :o

post-68450-1240971703_thumb.jpgpost-68450-1240971703_thumb.jpgOne customer likes the nachos on lettuce, not tortilla chips

post-68450-1240971703_thumb.jpgpost-68450-1240971703_thumb.jpg

Mr. U;

-El D

If you're in the habit of being that easily offended, I think that you should avoid posting the same picture four times in a single post. Somebody might take offence :o

/ Priceless

How about the new Miguel's? Anyone go to the opening and/or eaten there? The place looks really nice.

The new Miguels is excellent. The opening party was really nice. We had a lot of fun that evening. I was a little hungover the next morning from all the complimentary margaritas. :o If you read this board Mark, thanks for a great party!

Honest to god, I wasn't offended--takes a LOT to offendme--I simply was making the suggestion so that another big pi$$ing contest not get started as did earlier on this thread and people felt the necessity to take sides, play pile-on, insult, etc..

Just trying to avoid being the focus of anger and hurt feelings, that's all. I didn't want to see anyone upset.

But nevermind, think what you will. It's okay. Sorry sorry sorry.

And I apologize for my ignorance when it comes to understanding the basics of how to post without screwing up on these web-sites. It's really not my scene. Forgive me my trespasses.

Please drop by and discuss anything with me personally.

How about the new Miguel's? Anyone go to the opening and/or eaten there? The place looks really nice.

The new Miguels is excellent. The opening party was really nice. We had a lot of fun that evening. I was a little hungover the next morning from all the complimentary margaritas. :o If you read this board Mark, thanks for a great party!

I think they should do well there as the big Hang Dong crowd can get their easily.

Don't worry. Anyone who gives customers free ice water is OK in my book. :D

Free ice water!!!!

Where's the profit in that? He must be mad!! :)

I imagine it is because he is new and he feels he should try to be nice to the customers until business picks up.

I can well remember those days - having to be nice to the customers - what a pain. :D

I imagine even UG had a spell , when he was starting out, when he was nice to the customers.

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

Miguels id the best real mexican food intown. OK it is alright to have a burrito stand, like Diablos, but Diablos will soon be out of business when the thai government realizes that they are owned by Dusty Rhodes and his dad. Get a real business!!

I imagine even UG had a spell , when he was starting out, when he was nice to the customers.

My stores are busy most of the time, so when I am working on something, I might not be as friendly as I could be, but

I have always been nice to customers who are nice to me and that is most of them.

The truth is that my staff and I answer questions about what to do and where to go in Chiang Mai from tourists and locals from morning until night with no complaint and try to be as helpful as possible. It does not matter if someone buys anything, or not.

However, I admit that I have a short fuse when it comes to people who come in to the store just looking to argue and annoy someone. I am not very good at being polite to people who are rude to me. Maybe that is a lesson that I will learn in the next life! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hot News . So-called 'Swine Flu' Pandemic warning at level 5!!

How long before all restaurants selling Mexican food are closed down?

The BBC web-site is showing 8 confirmed deaths already!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8021547.stm

Head for the hills....... (and leave your Burritos at home).

Edited by chiangmaioldhand