• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

img-burritos.jpg

From Miguels menu, one fried burrito

Chimichangas are available online at Miguels :o

Chicken or Beef Chimichanga

deep fried 160 b

I must have an old online menu in my browser cache, as I didn't see chimichangas listed. Great to hear they have them now.

Your photo of the burrito makes it look more appetising than the one on Miguel's website :D Doesn't look fried to me, rather grilled.

img-burritos.jpg

From Miguels menu, one fried burrito

Chimichangas are available online at Miguels :o

Chicken or Beef Chimichanga

deep fried 160 b

I must have an old online menu in my browser cache, as I didn't see chimichangas listed. Great to hear they have them now.

Your photo of the burrito makes it look more appetising than the one on Miguel's website :D Doesn't look fried to me, rather grilled.

It is a burrito from the online miguels website.

http://www.miguels-cafe.com/menu3.htm

Edited by Ajarn

Whatever. This is a non-issue. If you want a burrito, order a burrito. If you want a chimichanga, order a chimichanga. If the burrito comes fried, don't accept it, if the chimichanga comes not fried, don't accept it. Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

i was thinking of coming in to try the chicken burrito based on the positive comments but I think I'll spend my money elsewhere now.

btw, I'm neither bitter nor old, but i do know chorizo.

Just want to inform that El Diablo's is now available from MealsOnWheels.

I feel I must comment that it's a shame so many negative losers need to congregate

on these websites. In years past they could only annoy others from barstools.

& I'm truly tempted to explain to bitter old Mr El Jefe that he doesn't know his burro from a hole in the ground but I'm much too busy cooking and prefer to stay out of his gutter. :o

Thai sausage indeed! What a philistine.

-El D

The burritos at Miguels are grilled; not fried.

A burrito by DEFINITION is not fried.

I beg to disagree. Check out the line in red.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia180px-Papa_chevos_burrito.jpg magnify-clip.pngMexican American burrito

A burrito (IPA: /bəˈriːto/), or taco de harina, is a type of food found in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. It consists of a flour tortilla wrapped or folded around a filling. The flour tortilla is usually lightly grilled or steamed, to soften it and make it more pliable. In Mexico, refried beans, Mexican rice, or meat are usually the only fillings and the tortilla is smaller in size. In the United States, however, fillings generally include a combination of ingredients such as Mexican rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, meat, guacamole, cheese, and sour cream, and the size varies, with some burritos considerably larger than their Mexican counterparts.

The word burrito literally means "little donkey" in Spanish, coming from burro, which means "donkey". The name burrito possibly derives from the appearance of a rolled up wheat tortilla, which vaguely resembles the ear of its namesake animal, or from bedrolls and packs that donkeys carried.[1] It is similar to the taco.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Looks like everyone's a member of the burrito police around here :o Seems we're going around in circles, some making a distinction between fried and deep-fried, others not. Or believing that what looks grilled is not, etc.

Yesterday I got so hungry reading the tamal thread that I ordered a burrito from Tacos & Salsa in Bangkok. After unwrapping and taking a couple of bites, I snapped this photo.

3417561172_5d02b9607c.jpg

I can vouch for the fact that this particular burrito was lightly grilled on one side. Not fried.

Note that it resembles the photo of a Miguel's burrito someone else posted. To me this burrito ('Mexican-style breakfast burrito' on the menu) tasted more like a San Francisco burrito than a burrito from its original Mexican states, ie, Sonora and Baja, but it was tasty.

Aside: Tacos & Salsa is owned by a guy from Mexico City.

Looks like everyone's a member of the burrito police around here :o Seems we're going around in circles, some making a distinction between fried and deep-fried, others not. Or believing that what looks grilled is not, etc.

Yesterday I got so hungry reading the tamal thread that I ordered a burrito from Tacos & Salsa in Bangkok. After unwrapping and taking a couple of bites, I snapped this photo.

I can vouch for the fact that this particular burrito was lightly grilled on one side. Not fried.

Note that it resembles the photo of a Miguel's burrito someone else posted. To me this burrito ('Mexican-style breakfast burrito' on the menu) tasted more like a San Francisco burrito than a burrito from its original Mexican states, ie, Sonora and Baja, but it was tasty.

The only way I can imagine a burrito tasting 'San Francisco', is if they stuff it with beans and rice and meat and salsa. Anything else isn't San Francisco, in my opinion :D

The only way I can imagine a burrito tasting 'San Francisco', is if they stuff it with beans and rice and meat and salsa. Anything else isn't San Francisco, in my opinion :D

The tortilla would have to be jumbo-size and extra-pliable. San Francisco burritos are usually made with a steamed or lightly grilled flour tortilla which can be stretched to fit in all those wonderful ingredients. They are wrapped in foil to prevent the tortilla from tearing.

San Fran burritos come with many different kinds of fillings, the famous Mission joints listing 10 or more varieties. La Corneta, one of the highest rated places in the SF area, offers 20 different kinds of burritos. This being a breakfast burrito it had eggs, refried beans, cheese, rice and salsa. Yep this one was pretty similar to a San Fran burrito in my opinion. Maybe smaller since they don't use the huge Sonora-style tortillas, but that's fine I don't like to eat anything bigger than my head :o I've had SF burritos both larger, smaller and about the same size. This was plenty big but you can always buy two or more :D The tortilla was very pliable. Frankly I prefer burritos from Sonora and Baja (which don't use super-large tortillas) but I know SF-style (eg Farolito, Castellito, Cancun) - which has pretty much come to be the 'big city' American-style--when I see and taste it. As always YMMV.

The wiki entry UG cited says grilling is "a well known cooking technique used by some San Francisco taquerias and Northern Mexico burrito stands." To paraphrase Jingthing, I think there's room in this big old world for both grilled and steamed. Incidentally, burritophile.com has a bit on grilling vs steaming: http://www.burritophile.com/ There's also a website dedicated to reviewing burritos in SF.

I have not tried the burritos at El Diablo yet. Have enjoyed burritos at both Sunrise and T&S.

I just hate to see a good business ripped apart for no reason as someone has put a lot of time, work and money into it and is trying to make a living. The place is full of Americans who know Mexican food almost every time I go there, and as far as it being a "tourist trap", it is not air-con and in a terrible location and does not do a lot of advertising, yet it always has customers - year round - when other places are totally empty. Those of us who like it feel that we are lucky to have it in Chiang Mai.

Some people do not like their food, but a lot of people do. All that proves is, that some folks prefer a different taste or style, not that it is "tasteless".

If someone feels that it is too expensive then don't go there. I can get stuffed on about 200 baht and it is the best Mexican food that I have had in many years, so I am pretty happy with the place. I don't really care what Mexican food costs in America as a plane ticket and hotel pushes the cost up considerably. :o

Miguel's is really the only other well known Burrito joint in town, so people are obviously going to compare the two. And I would say that I agree that people do prefer a different taste or style, but if you prefer Miguel's you prefer a blander, less flavorful burrito, plain and simple (some people do though, just like some people don't like spicy Thai food). If its the best Mexican food you have had many years I'm truly sorry for you, but I suppose there isnt alot of Mexican food in Thailand much less Chiang Mai. El Diablo's is much more flavorful, and in my opinion a vastly superior product, hands down the best burrito in Chiang Mai, but don't worry people will still head to Miguel's for the other items on the menu.

• 3 weeks later...

I just have to put in my 2 bahts worth - went to El Diablo's last night with a friend. Thoroughly enjoyed my chicken burrito!! My friend had the pork and green chillies and said his was great too. Good and friendly service. The salsa, chips and pickled vegetables were fine. My burrito was large and filling and I ate every mouthful.

But then again, what would I know - female and normally live in Pattaya (that gives me 2 strikes :o )

Are tamales supposed to be dry and rubbery? I'm a limey so I don't know. A few days ago I had tamales from Miquels and was disappointed. The wrap and the chicken inside was very very dry.

Not necessarily, but many are. The real pros inundate the masa (the corn meal "wrap") with lard to make it moister. The downside is that the calorie count goes way, way up. It varies from cook to cook how dry or moist they are.

Yes, I was disappointed with Miguel's tamales when I had them quite some time back. But gave it another shot with another dish, considering how tough it can be to make quality tamales. But my second time was as disappointing as the first. Have written off Mexican food in Chiang Mai as a loss.

Those burritos look truly delicious.

This is what El Diablo's looks like-

(as long as the thread is about El Diablo's it seems fitting to include a picture of the real deal)

post-68450-1240822396_thumb.jpg

The plate is a normal-size large dinner plate.

-El D

Edited by DustyRhodes