Another Couple Of Farang Motorcycle Deaths!

highonthai

Please, everybody reading this, be more careful, drive slower, expect the other drivers making mistakes, be concentrated when driving.

Agree 100% with this. I've now been driving here for the last 2 years and I've really come to realise that the most dangerous times are when I have allowed myself to get too relaxed or casual in my driving. I don't want to trigger another debate about Thai driving; any one of us that has been on the road for even a few hours gets to see most of the catalogue without listing it all again here. You have to drive alertly and defensively all the time every time.

My sincere sympathy for the victims of the accidents reported here.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being alert is the secret word. mirrors everywhere to see whats coming around you and whats potentially around the corner. i drive through highway 1317 going to san kampheng everyday and cannot say enough about how dangerous that road is. especially at the main huge junctions "which are not noticable" to some.

No. 1 rule of Thai driving. If it looks like the least likely thing for them to do, they will do it.

But seriously today was amazing. It just proves to show that people are literally going along with their eyes closed.

I was on the inner moat road and about 50m or more in front is a man with a push cart going to cross the road. There is nothing between me and him and I slow right down. He sees that and crosses into my lane but stops there as motobikes coming fast in other lane. No problem I have slowed right down expecting to stop as he now has his pushcart half into my lane. But wait for this , one of those motorbikes which still has a free lane cuts in front of me into my lane where the pushcart is (about another 20m). Does he stop , no. Does he try to stop, no.

I swear he just didn't see this darn big pushcart in the street.

Luckily no one was hurt, he kind of bounced off the pushcart, but everyone was looking at him in the same way. hel_l you didn't even see it and it's twice the size of your motorbike.

I think at the moment with the economic downturn, a lot of people are driving and concentrating on things apart from the road. I have noticed some weird traffic behaviour lately. So if in doubt flash your lights or sound your horn, they may be in Lah lah land! Better safe than sorry.

When I ride a bicycle, I try to stay all the way to the side so that motorcyces don't suddenly decide to pass me near the curb with an inch of space to vear through. It doesn't really stop them though.

Another big problem is when you find yourself about to ride over a deep hole or broken bottle and you want to swerve around it. The chances are that someone will be right beside you and wipe you out. It is better to hold on tight and just keep going forward no matter what. :o

i find one of the potentially fatal hazards to any newbie farangs in Thailand on the roads is, when you are waiting in the middle of the road at a U turn and you see the cars coming towards you flashing their headlights lights..

Do not think, 'ok.. i can go' - as anyone new, particularly from the UK, would automatically think..

the courteous blink blink.. go on mate.. means quite the opposite here.

There's very little courtesy on Thai roads

Farangs should not be riding bikes if they don't know how.

the deaths are proof of this, sadly so.

This is a pretty crass statement. You can be a world class experienced rider in this country and still end up as a victim of someone else's carelessness, stupidity, bottle of cheap whisky or any number of things that make being on the road one of the most dangerous places to be. Unless you know something we don't, the sad deaths discussed in this thread show nothing more than that none of us are immune from accidents.

There are a lot of great things about living here but road travel isn't one of them.

Edited by Greenside

Farangs should not be riding bikes if they dont know how.

Do you really thinks it only farang who should not ride bikes if they don't know how? Or, on consideration, do you now realise that the point applies to all people equally, and that your choice of 'farangs' as the subject of your sentence in fact was both meaningless and thoughtless?

Do you really thinks it only farang who should not ride bikes if they don't know how? Or, on consideration, do you now realise that the point applies to all people equally, and that your choice of 'farangs' as the subject of your sentence in fact was both meaningless and thoughtless?

rates up there with the age of riders comment :o

John Be Good, how true about the brain buckets. Count me as another TV character that brought my helmet flom amelika. You need a Bell or better like the Shoei. My helmet travels with me no matter where I am headed. It is a brain bucket and if you don't have the brains to put in it...***k it!!!

What a stupid and insensitive post, not worth further comment.

By the way, I observed Asian drivers in Australia where trafic rules are fully enforced unlike in Thailand; old habbits die hard.

Edited by CroBiker

John Be Good, how true about the brain buckets. Count me as another TV character that brought my helmet flom amelika. You need a Bell or better like the Shoei. My helmet travels with me no matter where I am headed. It is a brain bucket and if you don't have the brains to put in it...***k it!!!

Wearing a good quality helmet gives the family a less harrowing experience when identifying the deceased.

Nobody should if they don't know how - perhaps 90% of Thai's, incidentally - but what a thing to be saying on such a thread!

Locked up today (car) to avoid lady walking into road... very close.

RIP :o

Not to turn this into a helmet thing, but ANY THAI HELMET IS NOT WORTH SH88T!

Funny to see someone spend the money on a nice bike , just to pose and then buy a low grade plastic cap...

Want to know how to spot a real rider? Check the amount he spent on his helmet, Not his paint job. Real hemets start at $400 and go up... not 400Thb!

Unless a helmet is SNELL or DOT approved it's not worth the fuel you used to go buy it.

But this thread is not about helmets or riding ability. Why even bring it up?

Couldn't agree more, it isn't a case of how well trained you are, it's a case of how untrained everyone else on the road is...... I can ride a bike, I can drive a car, but the way I do it here is completely different to the way I used to be able to do it in the UK, I know some ex-pats (well. one in particular) who expect that they can teach every other road user while they are sat in a different vehicle by gesticulating out of the window, shouting and trying to teach them the error of their ways by running them off the road ...... madness.

Don't drive as they do, but make allowances for their driving.

Oh, and another thing.

My friend that was killed a few nights ago, hit a bicycle that was crossing the road. Not a car or a motocycle or anyone hitting him.

The bicycle rider is still in a coma.

Hate to say it but, the bicycle riders out there or in any country are always a concern to me.

I see very few if any mirrors on bicycles or hemets for that matter.

Edited by highonthai

Oh, and another thing.

My friend that was killed a few nights ago, hit a bicycle that was crossing the road. Not a car or a motocycle or anyone hitting him.

The bicycle rider is still in a coma.

he had also been drinking at a friend of mine's place before he hit the cyclist...

hope the cyclist pulls through

Want to know how to spot a real rider? Check the amount he spent on his helmet, Not his paint job. Real hemets start at $400 and go up... not 400Thb!

Unless a helmet is SNELL or DOT approved it's not worth the fuel you used to go buy it.

This year.

Death number one, experienced rider, ran off the road while pissed, ended up in a paddy field and drowned, expensive helmet.

Death number two, experienced rider, pissed and no helmet, impaled on some bamboo carried by an iron-buffalo with no lights. Helmet wouldn't have helped that much, no matter how much it cost.

Death number three, the full monty, leathers, boots, lid, the lot, crushed under the wheels of a truck that made an unexpected right turn across four lanes (yes, the driver fled the scene)

Death number four .... experienced rider, expensive helmet, found in a ditch with a broken neck, possibly sustained from when his protected head hit a rather hard tree.

Apologies for going even more off topic than it already has, but just because you have a umpty squillion quid piece of plastic on your head does not make you immune from danger, there are two things that cancel that out, the first being beer and the second being everyone else one the road.

I saw gpdjohn this afternoon...looks like he'll be OK.

Life is full of risks.

Some people see it as a downward slope, ending in the inevitable.

Others live life fully.

Be safe, but don't let tragedy overwhelm your perspective.

My philosophical 25 satangs for the evening.... :o

I go through about one helmet per year, most of them Nolans with no DOT sticker. 1,500 baht down at Pridas. Some full face helmets sold here are decent. But the main problem is not spending 300 quid for a helmet. The main point is defensive driving to stay alive in this insane environment.

But the main problem is not spending 300 quid for a helmet. The main point is defensive driving to stay alive in this insane environment.

i think the main point is not to have a gut full of ale whilst attempting to ride your bike in the first place, and avoid causing any accidents yourself :o

edit: not you personally PB

Edited by Goshawk

Quick update on GPDJohn... . . . He . . . would probably appreciate visitors in a day or two. He is in loom numba 1002 at Ram on the moat. . . .

I hope to be able to visit him today (some other scheduling issues permitting). Are there visiting hours at Ram?

. . . He was by himself . . .

Good.

Quick update on GPDJohn... . . . He . . . would probably appreciate visitors in a day or two. He is in loom numba 1002 at Ram on the moat. . . .

I hope to be able to visit him today (some other scheduling issues permitting). Are there visiting hours at Ram?

. . . He was by himself . . .

Good.

Not in my experience. Turn up whenever you like.

i find one of the potentially fatal hazards to any newbie farangs in Thailand on the roads is, when you are waiting in the middle of the road at a U turn and you see the cars coming towards you flashing their headlights lights..

Do not think, 'ok.. i can go' - as anyone new, particularly from the UK, would automatically think..

It means the same here as it does in the highway code in uk ,people just do not read the highway code in the uk.

It means the same here as it does in the highway code in uk ,people just do not read the highway code in the uk.

Your point being that it doesn't officially mean anything if I recall but (as you well know) in everyday driving it is almost 100% accepted as meaning something along the lines of an invitation to go first where there is doubt about priority especially used with an action such as stopping or slowing down. The fact that for some reason it means the exact opposite here is a major hazard to those newly on the road or driving on autopilot but in the end it's just another convention different to ours. Unfortunately, the Thais seem to have no way of indicating "please go ahead, I'm waiting for you" which results in many stand offs while you wait for the guy who's just reversed out into the road to complete his manoeuvre and he waits for you to go around him by pulling into a stream of oncoming traffic which can't see.