Best Place To Get Non-imm O In Usa

I had a retirement visa for about seven years. I let it lapse when I had to return to the US for an extended period. In March, I want to go back to Thailand.

What is the best place to get a single entry or multiple entry non-imm O visa in the US? Seven years ago I used Denver.

Where is best place to apply currently?

I am currently living in Arizona.

Thanks

No problem to get multi-o. Use pull down menu at top of page to get list of honarary consulates.

http://www2.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

It shouldn't matter which one in your case. Denver is still on list. Houston is good also.

Edit: You can also download visa application from the website.

Edited by ubonjoe

Denver, by recent reports, no longer takes the long view on application criteria. So, I'd forget them.

I'd suggest Houston. I don't know if they'll issue a Non Imm O based upon your being retirement eligible, but you sure can give them a try.

[For sure the Embassy and MFA consulates --DC, NY, Chicago, and LA -- won't; Tourist or a Non Imm O-A are their options. In fact, Hull (in Great Britain) is the only consulate I've seen that officially advertises Non Imm O's for retirement eligible folks. For sure, going this route is not nearly as clear-cut as, say, being married to a Thai. And, as per Denver, things might have tightened up.]

Julie Richardson is the Vice Consul at the Houston Honorary Consulate. Contact info below:

Julie M. Richardson

Honorary Vice Consul for the Kingdom of Thailand

c/o Tindall & Foster

600 Travis, Ste. 2800

Houston, TX 77002

713-335-3907

713-228-1303

[email protected]

Her assistant is Michelle Aquilera;713-229-0636, ext. 1101

Both are easy to work with and will be glad to answer your questions (in my experience, anyway).

Two things I'd consider.

1. Go for the multi entry Non Imm O. This gives you more wiggle room in Thailand should getting your retirement extension go awry, e.g., you don't meet the 3-month in-bank requirement by the time your single entry, one-time-only 90 day period expires.

2. Consider getting a Non Imm O-A. Houston is pretty good about allowing letterhead (vice officially stamped paperwork) from your local cop (confirming you're not a thug) and bank, attesting to your $24,000 balance (or your $2000/month income check). The doctor's certificate might be more troublesome, if you don't have a regular doctor. But, a full physical should not be needed, as just a medical confirmation that you don't have terminal syphilis, elephantitis, and a few others I forget.

Anyway, Houston does issue multi entry Non Imm O-A's to retirement eligibles. So, if you can't get a Non Imm O (or even if you could), this seems a reasonable alternative, allowing you to avoid Immigration in Thailand for nearly two years (assuming you mail in your 90-day reporting).

Last resort is getting a Tourist Visa, then converting to a Non Imm O in Thailand -- or just coming into Thailand on a visa exempt (which certainly wouldn't be as comfortable as having a Non Imm O-A, IMO.)

Why not come to LOS on a multi entry tourist visa, and then convert that to an O visa once he's already here?

By converting in Thailand (instead of doing the O-A in the U.S.), the OP would avoid having to go thru the hassle of police checks and medical exams in the U.S.

By doing a multi entry tourist visa with additional one month extension in LOS, he's get at least 3 months. And then, if he needed it, he'd have up to 3 additional months of visa exempt entries. All of that would be more than enough to take care of meeting the retirement funds requirement thru one means or another.

You will have no problem getting non-o for retirement. MFA rules follow.

other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

I am sure Houston will give you a multi they are very helpful.

Edited by ubonjoe

You will have no problem getting non-o for retirement. MFA rules follow.

MFA consulates (i.e., those staffed with Thai government personnel) have historically *not* issued Non Imm O visas just because you're retirement eligible. They would want you to produce age, financial, police, and medical proof -- which, if in order, would lead to a Non Imm O-A (not a Non Imm O) visa. But, just submitting partial proof (say, age and income) would not normally get you a Non Imm O visa.

The MFA site link given, while mentioning "retirement for the elderly," does so entirely under the subject blanket of 'Non Imm O' visas, with no further -- and logical -- mention of the sub-category 'Non Imm O-A' visas -- which appears to be an oversight. Most Embassy websites, once mentioning "retirement," then breakaway from the strict "O" category to the "O-A" sub-category.....

But, there is no date on this MFA site (that I can find), so maybe things have changed.....(but I doubt it).

Honorary Consulates remain the shining hope -- some better than others.

I hope 'gguy' will keep us informed on how he makes out.

Why not come to LOS on a multi entry tourist visa, and then convert that to an O visa once he's already here?

Certainly an option, if he can't get a Non Imm O -- and doesn't want the hassle of a Non Imm O-A.

My only concern would be if he had to deal with one of the backwater Immigration Offices. Running into a hillbilly who's never seen a form TM86 (used to convert a Tourist Visa to a Non Imm visa) might ruin my day. Strange things seem to sometimes happen out in the Thai sticks (actually, in the big cities too :o )

But, maybe I'm an alarmist. I know I've seen that Bangkok and Pattaya Immigration Offices readily deal with TM86's. And maybe others have been mentioned -- but none that I can remember, or that I saw.

If this is an option for the OP, letting us know his Immigration Office might better define matters.

• 2 weeks later...

not wanting to start a new thread. can you use medical as a reason for purpose of visit when applying for multi entry non-0? possibly with supporting documents saying you have a appointment with bumrungrad medical?

also does the local consulate actually issue the visa or do they send the paper work off???

Yes you can get it to recieve medical treatment. The following from Ministry of Foringn Affairs website.

other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

A letter showing appointment should be enough.

Visas are approved and issued at conulate.

Edited by ubonjoe