Where Can I Get Windows Xp In Thai

Optimodo

Just before i came back to the UK in October my girlfriend bought a Laptop and i spent a few days setting it up (and removing all the un-needed programs that came with it) and i searched and searched for a Thai Edition of Windows XP Pro but i could not find one. The only closest thing i could find was windows vista.

Does anyone know if a full Thai edition exists in any way and if so if it is possible to get it from anywhere other than buying it from Microsoft. I have found the Language Interface Pack from Microsoft and i shall try that when i return but i am still on the lookout for a full Thai version that has everything in Thai (including dos mode if that is at all possible which i know is doubtful), the problem I'm having you see is although my girlfriend can speak very good English her reading and writing skills are still very limited so a simple dos prompt about windows not being shut down properly can cause problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Just before i came back to the UK in October my girlfriend bought a Laptop and i spent a few days setting it up (and removing all the un-needed programs that came with it) and i searched and searched for a Thai Edition of Windows XP Pro but i could not find one. The only closest thing i could find was windows vista.

Does anyone know if a full Thai edition exists in any way and if so if it is possible to get it from anywhere other than buying it from Microsoft. I have found the Language Interface Pack from Microsoft and i shall try that when i return but i am still on the lookout for a full Thai version that has everything in Thai (including dos mode if that is at all possible which i know is doubtful), the problem I'm having you see is although my girlfriend can speak very good English her reading and writing skills are still very limited so a simple dos prompt about windows not being shut down properly can cause problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

I bought copy for GF in Pantip that was WinXp Thai edition.

Download the MUI pack includes Thai.

There are many copies on the web on various torrent sites or start here http://beqiraj.com/windows/2002/lip/index.asp

This pack allows each user to specify their interface language, you get Ingrish, your lady gets Thai.

EDITED to remove rule bending link to torrent site.

Edited by Crossy

Control Panel -> Regional and Language options -> Languages Tab -> Select Install files for East Asian Languages.

I reckon that most CDs (illegal or legal) sold in Thailand have the East Asian Language option.

Edited by sniffdog

Control Panel -> Regional and Language options -> Languages Tab -> Select Install files for East Asian Languages.

I reckon that most CDs (illegal or legal) sold in Thailand have the East Asian Language option.

Doesn't this only enable display and entry in said language?

The MUI actually changes the interface language too so you get menu options, help etc. in said language just like a localised version :o

Ah, yes. No Thai menus .. great way to learn English though :D

It's also a good way to learn Thai, I installed it for the Missus and then couldn't get it back to Engrish (coz I couldn't read the menus) so I could install other stuff for her :o

It's also a good way to learn Thai, I installed it for the Missus and then couldn't get it back to Engrish (coz I couldn't read the menus) so I could install other stuff for her :o

One of the nice things about the MUI is that it is configurable per user... Create a user for her with Thai menus and

another user for you with English.

• 1 year later...

I installed the LIP and now my menus are in Thai also. I cannot figure out how to make mine English and my wife's Thai. Can someone please walk me through getting my account back to English and leaving my wife's in Thai? Thanks in advance.

It's also a good way to learn Thai, I installed it for the Missus and then couldn't get it back to Engrish (coz I couldn't read the menus) so I could install other stuff for her :)

One of the nice things about the MUI is that it is configurable per user... Create a user for her with Thai menus and

another user for you with English.

I am pretty sure you don't need to buy a Thai version, you can download it for free.

However, many of the Thais opt for the English version though.

True. What need of Thai XP? Most Thai women aren't going into the Control Panel or do any OS work.

Thai Office, yes.

• 1 month later...

OK this is frustrating the hel_l out of me. All I want to do is change the keyboard language not all the menus. I have gone down the control panel route where it asks for installation discs I no longer have. I have searched the Microsoft site, that was about as much use as tits on a bull!! The MUI above I believe changes all the menus as well which I dont want, anyway the page is in Thai so dont understand it. Someone please can you point me in a reasonably sane direction here.

Cheers

You want to change the keyboard input language?

I was going to detail it but found Google did a good job so feeling lazy I'll just post the links. :)

Google

Link

Link

Just remember to check the box for "Install files for complex scripts & right to left language (Including Thai)

A small point that happened to us. One day the Thai keys on the keyboard did not correspond to the output on the screen. It was still Thai but all the keys seemed to be in the wrong place.

There are two Thai scripts to choose from and somehow the wrong script had got selected. Choosing Thai Kedmanee fixed the problem.

:D

Leave it in English. They don't know what all the things mean and in Thai you sure don't and they'll just keep pressing buttons and clicking on things until it goes terribly wrong. Then you will need it in English to fix it.

Edited by torrenova

Thanks for the links Daffy, but I have already been down that route and dont have the original discs with the install files (my PC is about 4 years old now and lost the discs over time). When you follow the instructions you are asked to insert the discs. I have tried finding the files on line to no avail.

I agree with Torrenova as well, the last thing I want is all the mens in Thai as well, will definitely cause problems later. In a nutshell I want to be able to input text in Word and Excel in Thai but maintain all off the menus in English. This should be doable by changing the language down on the task bar, but how do you do it without the original discs?

Cheers

^ You can download the files HERE. Extract the archive, then go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options >> Languages tab. Put a check mark in the box where it says, "Install files for complex script .... (including Thai)". When prompted for the installation disc, hit OK then Browse to the folder containing the extracted files. For Windows XP only.

^ You can download the files HERE. Extract the archive, then go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options >> Languages tab. Put a check mark in the box where it says, "Install files for complex script .... (including Thai)". When prompted for the installation disc, hit OK then Browse to the folder containing the extracted files. For Windows XP only.

Many thanks Supernova, I am currently working on a mac but I have downloaded and unzipped and it looks like everything is there that i need. I will give it a go later. Thanks for the prompt response, if I knew where you were I would buy you a beer.

Cheers

Blimey! Didn't know that there is a Windows XP version in Thai (other than the support for Thai input). Downloaded the Office MUI edition with Thai once, but for the OS... All the Thai computers I've seen run the english XP version.

I wonder why people don't use it. I'm all for training English but honestly, I consider it more important to get a glimpse of what's happening on the computer than to pick up 5 or 10 English IT terms :)

I know that some people won't read it anyway no matter what language, and Windows messages sometimes don't make sense at all even for me :D , still...

welo