Public Warning On Leptospirosis In Northeast

george

Warning on leptospirosis in Northeast

KHON KAEN: -- The Khon Kaen Disease Control Office chief yesterday issued a public warning about leptospirosis after the northeastern region recorded 1,287 cases and 25 deaths.

Of 2,094 leptospirosis patients nationwide this year until October 4, Dr Narong Wongba said 42 had died.

His office, covering Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lampu, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et and Kalasin, recorded 656 leptospirosis patients and 12 deaths in its jurisdiction, he said. Kalasin had 11 deaths and Maha Sarakham one.

He predicted more than the 2,824 cases and 39 deaths recorded last year, due to the floods and heavy rains in many areas. He urged people to cover foot wounds and avoid wading through floodwater or walking far barefoot on mud. Feet must be washed thoroughly immediately after wading through water, he added.

This bacterial infection is transmitted to humans by water contaminated by animal urine coming in contact with unhealed breaks in the skin, eyes or mucous membranes.

-- The Nation 2008-10-12

Thanks for the proper and accurate warning.

I did see one or two comments that seemed stupendously...

well I can find a word for it...so I guess mind boggling.

This is serious stuff, and no joking should be contenenced.

My friend did 2-3 days in Ubon and did some swimming with an open cut,

that's all it took got a nasty fever in about 3-4 hours

and went right to the Doc, then told him his day,

and BOOM right on the meds before he could finish the verbal paragraph...

Took a few days extra before he came back home too.

Kicked his butt, but he's alive.

For anyone reading this thread, my comment above and Mossfinn's as well, I believe, were directed at one particularly idiotic post that since has been removed from this thread, presumably by the mods. Our comments were NOT directed at the original posting that created this thread.